Increasing older hub traffic

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (47 posts)
  1. profile image0
    gchicnotesposted 12 years ago

Any tips for increasing older hubs seeing a decline in traffic. I've shared my hubs on twitter and Facebook and I have a widget on my site. I've revised tags too. Any ideas to keep them from seeing a major plummet in traffic.

1. skpatra profile image60
      skpatraposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Try Guest blogging on High PR sites. Give your hubpages profile link as an author link there. You will get  massive traffic.

I am preparing a hub on guest blogging this weekend. You can follow me to get updates on that. Thanks

1. profile image0
        gchicnotesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the info.

2. Daniel Deepak profile image60
        Daniel Deepakposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do you write on blogging and WordPress? If so, let me know..

2. MelissaBarrett profile image59
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

What happened/is happening with my hubs is that there is an initial spike then they see really low traffic for a couple months.  As they get natural links and raise in google rank then the traffic builds back up slowly and becomes pretty predictable. 

It's a snowball effect that can be frustrating but it does build up over time.  I have a pretty steady 45 degree angle increase in views on my one year analytics.

1. profile image0

Thanks. Good info to know.

3. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Tweaking them sometimes works.

Also, I often see zero-traffic hubs suddenly perk up and start getting minor traffic. I have yet to figure out why. My guess is that google just gets bored now and then.

1. profile image0

Lol.

4. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 12 years ago

HubPages has noted that (on average) it takes three years for a Hub to reach the peak of its traffic.  Having been here for five years, I can say that the stats I've seen on some of my strong performers do tend to support that, but not always.  Some Hubs have taken longer, and most often it's because they were weaker to start and I improved them.  Or the topic wasn't as popular and then something changed culturally to make them have broader interest.

Things that drop off over time either need more work, a different angle or maybe even to be dropped in favor of something that's doing better.  I got to 200 Hubs in October of 2010 and then took a year off making any new ones to just improve what I had.  Now when I make a new Hub, I drop one of the older ones that just never became a stronger performer no matter how I tried to improve it.

1. Sally's Trove profile image79
      Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You pretty well summed it up.

@gchicnotes, seven weeks? Nothing at seven weeks of age is old at HubPages.

1. profile image0

I guess I just like seeing the numbers climb. smile

2. Aficionada profile image79
      Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1.

Always good to hear the voice of successful experience.  Thanks for the insight, relache.

3. viryabo profile image95
      viryaboposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for sharing this.

4. profile image0
      A La Doraposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How does dropping some weaker Hubs help. What are the benefits of that? If you don't mind answering that. Thanks in advance.

1. viryabo profile image95
        viryaboposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well for some reason when i dropped some really bad ones, and moved some others to a new account, my traffic has improved tremendously.

I did try to revamp them in ways i possibly could, but they seemed "dead", and besides, a few are irrelevant to today.

I'm still watching with interest. I will be a little bit more convinced of the benefits by the end of January.

5. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Relache
      So do you delete the hubs?

1. relache profile image73
        relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, if I said that I had 200 Hubs in October 2010, and then later I said that when I make a new one that I drop an old one, and my total is still at 200 more than a year later... isn't it sort of obvious that I have to be deleting Hubs?

Like many things I've done at HubPages, it's all an experiment and I'm slowly pruning out bits of my most active account that don't seem to be working and replacing them with things that have a proven track record of working.  Stuff that hasn't had anything resembling any sort of success that's five years old and has always languished in the 70s can easily be replaced with something I know is automatically going to be up in the 90s and draw traffic.

Then again the other day I didn't delete one of my under-performers, but I did gut the entire Hub right down to the original URL and then completely rewrote the topic from scratch, taking on an entirely new angle.

6. profile image0

@relache that is great info to know. Thanks for sharing

5. Sally's Trove profile image79
    Sally's Troveposted 12 years ago

Not promoting my stuff here (not allowed), but readers of this thread may benefit from this hub: 5 Ways to Revise Your Poorly Performing HubPages Hubs - A Writer's Point of View.

6. Anamika S profile image69
    Anamika Sposted 12 years ago

I am dedicating the first 15 days of this month in improving older hubs by adding more content, removing useless tags, adding more pictures/video's, re-writing summery of the hub based on the keywords which got traffic to the Hub etc. My overall hub score is 75 (now it is 77) and I am trying to bring it to 80 by bringing the individual hub scores up. I have seen some results and I hope it would get better. Once this is done I will be doing some backlinking.

1. lobobrandon profile image88

Hey Anamika by backlinking what do you mean?

Social networks, comments, guest posts, forum posts or anything else??

1. Anamika S profile image69
        Anamika Sposted 12 years agoin reply to this

bookmarking and new articles too (in other sites) linking old content.

1. lobobrandon profile image88

Ok smile

2. incomeguru profile image94
        incomeguruposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You need hundreds to thousands of links pointing to your hub or website in order to rank higher in the SERPs. You'll gain traffic and links by posting in forums with your site/hub link as your forum post signature, submitting useful and relevant blog comments, social bookmarking sites and the father of them all is through article marketing.

1. profile image0

That's rather time consuming incomeguru (linking). I like your idea of article marketing. What is that exactly?

2. profile image0

Thanks Anamika for the ideas.

7. wheelinallover profile image76
    wheelinalloverposted 12 years ago

For the hubs I have written which have value to "my audience" in internet marketing I write short blogs and forum posts leading to my hubs. I find that doing this on advertising forums which for some reason are in Google's good graces and which rank often first page for keywords within hours is great for backlinking. I also receive some traffic to those hubs using this approach.

I find that my hub pages ranking on Google have a yo yo effect but the other forum posts and blogs sit still. As authors we want what we have written read so I actually use the forum posts and blogs to peak an interest in what I have to share. In essence I am advertising my hubs. At the same time each forum post and blog are creating backlinks to my articles.

I also have no problem sharing the fact that I am an author first, businessman second. Now however most of my forum posts and blogs lead to business related articles, websites or both. I also recommend keywording articles to name, business if you have one and writing nickname. There are times when I want people to know me so do link to articles written about how I was raised.

1. profile image0

Thanks. I write for fun about my craft. I would not say that I am a writer first but I would like the info I write to reach more people so I can build a healthy reputation as an expert in my field. Thanks for the info. I'm new but I wanted to make sure that I'm off in the right direction. So I'm going to take all the ideas I've gotten from this feed and put it to use.

1. wheelinallover profile image76
        wheelinalloverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A few more words of wisdom. Recent research shows that titles which are going to be picked up best by search engines are no less than 20 characters and no more than 65, and should contain your keywords. With hub pages your keywords should also be placed in any of these areas and still be picked up by search engines. The subtitle, first paragraph within 15 words, in your synopsis or tags for your picture if it is at the top of the page.

Many people now are putting the picture lower so the room at the top can be used for advertisements. Almost anyone looking at a computer reads from left to right then down the right side of the website or article. Placing ads there people believe will get the best results. If you use pictures that are sourced other than from you, the lower placement helps because the source won't be picked up in what Google shows on the search engine results. It would also be wise to remember more people search for video's than articles. A video with the proper keywords will do wonders for traffic. We are considering having someone actually read the hub on video and putting the video in each hub.

8. Neil Horton profile image60
    Neil Hortonposted 12 years ago

If you are not willing to do what it takes to gain market share.. IE Back Link Building, you are destined to get mediocre traffic to your hub or website. It is just the way it is. Back Links show the search engines that you are an athourity on your subject matter. Back Links are a pain in the ass to say the least, but if you think you are going to get away with a few moments or 12 hubs to gain an audience, what traffic you end up with is a direct reflection on your willingness to put forth the effort it takes to get found. No pain No gain.

1. profile image0

Thanks. I'm going to have to research back linking.

9. sabrani44 profile image60
    sabrani44posted 12 years ago

Just go back and look over your hubs. Sometimes there's some important info you missed.

1. profile image0

Cool! Thanks!

10. Dale Hyde profile image80
    Dale Hydeposted 12 years ago

I am too new to add any suggestions, but I do commend everyone for sharing here and giving me some insight as what to expect as time goes by.  I do know, from the various sites that I own, traffic comes and goes...it varies over time.  One comment here mentioned that something along the lines if something comes into fashion or gets popular, and you have written about it, it will receive traffic.  This is most true and I have seen that in various pages I have published on my sites... These sites are personal sites, so I am not advertising my sites here, lol.

11. GmaGoldie profile image80
    GmaGoldieposted 12 years ago

Great question.

A couple of thoughts:  1.) http://blogsearch.google.com/ 2.) ping and 3.) submit your rss feeds to the feed directories.

I have programed in my window tabs different promotions.

Of course the blogger is very simple to use and create and HP provides a button right on the share at the bottom. Very cool. If you submit to blogger, you submit via your-chosen-name.blogspot.com and it counts as a backlink.

Some hubs simply age with perfection. Do be patient. Do spruce all your hubs as much as time will allow - pay special attention to your tags and your opening and ending and be sure all photos have a description. IF it is your photo, link back to your hub (remember the cardinal limit of two links per hub).

My first choice would be however, to try the title tuner. HP did a great job providing the information for us. Put their hard work to use.

Hope these items are of a help.

Best of luck to you.

12. Jean Bakula profile image91
    Jean Bakulaposted 12 years ago

I list some of my oldest hubs in RSS feeds. But most of my hubs are about Metaphyscial topics. You have to be careful. I was mixing in hubs about book reviews and other things, and one day many got pulled by the administration. I had large gaps in my hubs, and at the time I had to take a whole day to fix 100 of them!

1. profile image0

Wow. Interesting. Thanks

13. ddsurfsca profile image71
    ddsurfscaposted 12 years ago

When I find that any of my hubs are not getting much traffic, I will adjust the tags, change photos, put up different amazon ads, and for sure change the title.  I think when you keep the same title for extended periods of time the hub goes stale because everyone has seen it, and even if you don't do anything else, it will attract attention.

1. profile image0

I've tried that. I realize I may also be jumping the gun a little since my hubs aren't really "aged". Thanks for the feedback.

14. awayre profile image65
    awayreposted 12 years ago

>> "...so I can build a healthy reputation as an expert in my field."

For this reason, seems like article writing and writing on multiple platforms may be the best strategy for you. One thing that has done amazingly well for me - in terms of SEO ranking - is to have a wordpress blog where I write small blurbs with links to the articles.

1. profile image0

Thanks! I started a Wordpress blog on 12/31 and have linked things to go back to hubpages. Maybe I'm doing something right after all. smile. Thanks again.

15. brittanytodd profile image88
    brittanytoddposted 12 years ago

One of my favorite hubbers just published this hub, which shows you how to give attention and edit your older hubs to increase traffic: http://vocalcoach.hubpages.com/hub/How- … Aging-Hubs

I hope this helps!

1. profile image0

Thanks! I will check that out.

2. profile image0

This hub was great and really useful! Thanks for sharing!

1. brittanytodd profile image88
        brittanytoddposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome smile

16. barryrutherford profile image74
    barryrutherfordposted 12 years ago

Rather than completely deleting an older Hub! KEEP IT. by deleting it it will remain in Google's cache. Keep working on it like Michelangelo's Cistine Chapel eventually you might have a good article.

1. profile image0

I like that Michelangelo' Chapel!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)