Great Concerts

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (12 posts)
  1. sam209 profile image78
    sam209posted 12 years ago

Can anyone remember the best concert they've ever attended? In 1997 I saw The Rolling Stones for the first time and it still ranks as my favorite concert! KISS would run a close second!

1. twosheds1 profile image60
      twosheds1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Tangerine Dream in Cleveland, June 2, 1986. Truly a concert experience. Phish in Columbus, OH, July 15, 2000. Any Phish concert is good, but this one was mind-blowing. Grateful Dead at Buckeye Lake, OH, in 1992. There is nothing like a GD concert.

2. billybuc profile image84
    billybucposted 12 years ago

The Beatles, 1965 in Seattle, still ranks number one for me as far as pure excitement.  The air was electric in anticipation of them taking the stage that night.

3. billybuc profile image84
    billybucposted 12 years ago

However, if three days constitues a concert, then I'll take the Monterrey Pop Festival as the best I have ever attended.  You see, I was pretty damn lucky to have grown up during the Sixties and early Seventies.

4. steveamy profile image61
    steveamyposted 12 years ago

Let's see -- 1. Springsteen August 1978 New Haven 2nd Born To Run Tour, 2. Elvis Costello and Rockpile  at the Shaboo Inn, Willamantic Ctr -- May 1978 (when I should have been studying for a Sociology Final, 3.  X at Berkeley Square, Berkeley Ca. circa 1982. 4. Prince -- Hartford Civic Center -- Early 90's (the arena was half empty--Hartford is way to white) 5. Talking Heads -- University of Massachusetts 1981-ish before they were a "Big Band"...... Ask me tomorrow and the list will change but that is the beauty of memory.

5. steveamy profile image61
    steveamyposted 12 years ago

Just saw Springsteen in Tampa last week...... a great show, a great performer and at 63 -- my hero.

6. classicalgeek profile image81
    classicalgeekposted 11 years ago

Although I am sure there are plenty that I don't remember, because I was too young, the first I remember is Suor Angelica by Puccini, on a class field trip when I was ten years old. It must have done something to me, because I became an opera singer! That would have been about 45 years ago. . . .

7. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

1997 Ozzfest

Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, Marilyn Manson, Pantera, Type O Negative, Fear Factory, Machine Head, Powerman 5000, Insane Clown Posse

8. spartucusjones profile image91
    spartucusjonesposted 11 years ago

That is a tough one. The first real concert (I don't count Sharon, Lois & Bram) was a Neil Young & Pearl Jam double bill on August 18th, 1993 at the now defunct Toronto's CNE Stadium. Blues Traveler & Soundgarden opened up. I went with my soon to be (and now ex) brother in law. I went to see Pearl Jam (I was also really into the Soundgarden Badmotorfinger album) and he went to see Neil Young. I didn't know too much about Neil Young at that point. But he blew me away and I became a huge fan. You never forget your first.

Another concert highlight was when I seen Johnny Cash live, on August 30th, 1994 at the CNE Bandstand in Toronto. It was a free concert. I was at the Exhibition with some friends and we ran out of things to do. So we decided to attend the concert, even though I thought he was just some old country fogey. Me and my friends thought it might be fun to yell obnoxiously and try to start a mosh pit (I did grow out of being an obnoxious teenager). But something happen that was a true musical awakening. I would describe it as a near religious experience. Cash was performing a large portion of material from his comeback American Recordings album. So much of the concert was just him an the acoustic guitar. It was intimate & powerful.

9. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

I've seen waaaaaayyyy too many concerts over the years to boil it down to just one, but there are several that stick out...

...Numero Uno would be Savatage on the "Gutter Ballet" tour in NYC in 1990. They were my favorite band at that time and they were absolute peak. My friend who saw this show with me and I still speak of it in tones of awe twenty two years later.

...Megadeth's "Rust In Peace" lineup opening for Judas Priest in 1990. Again, a band at its peak. At the time I wasn't much more than a casual Megadeth fan, but by the end of their set I'd become Instant Fanboy. (I met Dave Mustaine at a book signing 2 years ago and told him "I've been waiting 20 years to tell you this...you wiped the freakin' floor with Judas Priest that night." Haha)

...Metallica's "...And Justice For All" tour in 1989. I'd seen them several times before and several times since this show but that particular gig sticks out because it was the last time I saw them when they were simply a "big Metal band" as opposed to a ginormous, enormo-dome filling Stadium Rock band.

...The Ramones in a rinky-dink little club on Staten Island in 1988. My first show in a small venue, and my first mosh pit experience too. (Ouch!)

...Alice Cooper in 1991 as part of a multi-band bill that also included Judas Priest and Motorhead. The man is a legend, and his stage show is still the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

..."Fight" (Rob Halford's first solo project after leaving Judas Priest) in 1993. It was utterly cool to be in a shoebox sized nightclub on the Jersey Shore standing ten feet away from the Metal God himself!!

...KISS' Reunion tour at Madison Square Garden in 1996. I was too young to see the original band during their 1970s heyday so finally getting to witness them together was a dream come true.

I could go on all day but I think you get the idea...

10. cryptid profile image95
    cryptidposted 11 years ago

Megadeth on both the Youthanasia and Cryptic Writings tours.  Both were awesome.  The Misfits opened for them at one show, and Corrosion of Conformity at the other.   

Slayer and Sepultura at Tattoo the Earth

Death in a small club a few years before Chuck Schuldiner passed away.  That was incredible.

11. brimancandy profile image78
    brimancandyposted 11 years ago

The best concert I have been to is the Kiss Farewell Tour, with Ted Nugent and Skid Row. I had seen Kiss twice before. but this was by far the best. Ted Nugent was a huge surprise. I din't think I was going to like him, but he put on a pretty good show.

The next best would be Aerosmith, followed by the very long Poison/Cinderella concert, which was 4 hours long, and also feature Dokken and Slaughter. Though I felt that Slaughter sucked.

Also I can't leave out My Divas. I saw Cher and Cyndi Lauper. That was a very good show. I also saw Janet Jackson and Usher, that probably had the loudest audience of them all, as it was made up mainly of teenage girls, who creamed for hours on end, especially when usher was on stage in boxer briefs.

Most uneventful would have to be Van Halen and The Kenny Wayne Sheppard band. I say that because the Sheppard band blew Van Halen away. So it was kind of a let down. But, not so much as the REO Speedwagon concert with Foreigner and Robert Plant. They were awesome, and Speedwagon kinda sucked.

Another good one was Def Leppard and Joan Jett. Two of my favorite rock bands. Very good show!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)