Super Bowl XLVI - Giants vs. Patriots

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (71 posts)
  1. I am DB Cooper profile image63
    I am DB Cooperposted 12 years ago

The Giants and Patriots will face each other in the Super Bowl for the second time in five years. The Giants were 9-7 during the regular season but seemed to figure things out just in time for the playoffs. The Patriots haven't lost a game since a last-minute comeback by Eli Manning and the Giants two and a half months ago.

So, who wins this game?

1. DPJake profile image61
      DPJakeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Patriots all the way!! smile

2. Jolieann Advice profile image60
      Jolieann Adviceposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Remember this a good match up.  Although I am not a real Patriot Fan nor Giant Fan.  I honestly feel that since Manning is playing on his home turf and knowing his whole family will be there, yes including big brother.  Just don't under estimate the Giants especially baby brother manning yet.

3. teamelite21 profile image59
      teamelite21posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am gonna have to say Giants. I don't like the Patriots and probably never will.  However, the last time they played I had to think the Pats would win. I mean, Randy Moss was killin it. This time their defense is horrible and the Giants are on a roll defensively.  Eli Manning is picking apart defenses too. Of course it will still be a close one.  Brady and the Pats are not an easy beat, especially not in the Super Bowl.

1. 910chris profile image74
        910chrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I almost believe in the SI curse. Since Tom Brady is on the cover like he was 4 years ago and they lost, a lot of people are saying the same thing now. I said back in week 6 (here is the Hub to prove that: http://ninehundredtenchris.hubpages.com … ll-the-way) that the Giants would get here; and they have.

Many people, even on here said that I was crazy and it was wishful thinking, but look who has the last laugh! I am going for the G-MEN of course, but I do believe it will be close through-out.

1. wavegirl22 profile image49
          wavegirl22posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not me I thought your Hub was brilliant!!!!!

2. I am DB Cooper profile image63

The (very) early line is Patriots by three and a half points.

I hope it stays that way .. Giants love to be the underdog wink

But its going to be another victory for the GMen!!!!

Guess what wavegirl?? WE called it and here we go!! Giants till the end and I'm out till SuperBowl Sunday!!

Oh, one more thing, the Giants were supposed to lose every game this playoff so...

I am DB Cooperposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, the last two. They were favored by a few points over the Falcons.

2. Mighty Mom profile image77
          Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In spite of overwhelming 49er support here in Norcal (including being the only Giants fan in my own home today!), I quietly stayed strong in my faith.
          I just KNEW they would do it.
          They WILL go all the way!

2. mom101 profile image59
      mom101posted 12 years agoin reply to this

how do you get a half point in football

3. I am DB Cooper profile image63

The line is now Patriots by 3 points. I suspect it might get down to 2.5 by kickoff.

1. Mighty Mom profile image77

When do we  start putting our point spreads on the table here?
        I'll go.
        Giants by 6.

1. Johnrr631992 profile image84
          Johnrr631992posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Patriots by 10

3. wavegirl22 profile image49
    wavegirl22posted 12 years ago

All I can say is what a day. . .

As the Giants go. . . we are #ALLin

4. Johnrr631992 profile image84
    Johnrr631992posted 12 years ago

PATRIOTS ALL THE WAY.... While even some pats fans have been doubting The patriots this year.. Have stayed 100% loyal, and think there is NO stopping them.

5. Michael Willis profile image66
    Michael Willisposted 12 years ago

New York Giants to again beat the Patriots. Cruz and Nicks to have a huge game along with Eli Manning.

6. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 12 years ago

Promises to be one of the most boring Super Bowls ever.

How can you say that? They expect this to be one of the most watched SuperBowls of all time!! If this is anything like 07 we are all in for a treat!

7. David 470 profile image81
    David 470posted 12 years ago

I'm glad the giants and patriots won because this is history repeating itself essentially.

I was originally rooting for the giants to win back in what was it, 08? But now I would rather have the Patriots win this time. This will be the patriots revenge.

I think the Patriots can win as long as Tom Brady does not play like he did against the Ravens.

Yah as long as he plays like he did against Tebow, i think the game is wrapped for us, but on the other hand if he plays like he did tonight... oh how did Brady put it after the game on camera " I sucked tonight, thank god for the rest of my team" as long as he isn't saying that next weekend i think all will be good.

What? He didn't even mention the Raven's kicker for a special brand of thanks?
        lol

Well.. i don't know... Is it really to thank the ravens kicker, i mean hell, he would have tied the game. The person to thank is the ravens player who dropped the football in the endzone.. I mean he would have won it for them, he is who we really need to thank.

Lee Evans. As a Bills fan, I couldn't help but laugh when the Ravens picked him up. In the past, he's racked up decent receiving numbers, but almost all of his receptions were on deep balls. He can't run routes or catch contested passes. Now he's not as fast as he used to be, which makes him pretty useless on the deep ball. He had just 4 receptions in the regular season, but for some reason the Ravens thought they would surprise the Patriots and target him yesterday. It worked for most of the game, but when you've got to throw a pass into tight coverage at the end, Lee Evans is not the guy you want to be throwing to.

Well the Pats held on by the skin of their teeth.... Got real lucky at the end, and luckily are moving on, but i hope Eli is ready cause Brady isnt going to have another week like this one

You got that right....

Eli's coming!

2. David 470 profile image81
      David 470posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I feel bad for the kicker of the Ravens, though. I was just thinking in my head "what if he misses?" And he DID MISS 32 yard field goal!

I wonder if the ravens kicker is getting heat because he missed...?

That's exactly what I was afraid was going to happen to the Giants kicker in the end. Too eerily similar, with both playoff games coming down to the kicker!

I think there is a general term that applies to pro ball players who choke when it matters most. They become what is known as Bill Buckners lol

Bill Buckner . .lol . . just another New York stomping in New England.

LOL, wavegirl.
            That day was my wedding (to son's dad).
            In Boston.
            With husband's family from all over NY/NJ.

All I can say is I am glad I missed the bar brawl, as I had left for my honeymoon!

double LOL

nothing like an October game at Shea Stadium  .. and to think there I was sitting on the first base line watching history unfold right before my eyes! When Mookie hit that ball all hell broke loose. .. what a series. one of the greatest I have ever seen . .

of course not as good as this SuperBowl repeat is going to be.

Allin guys,. . gmen its time to get #ALLin!

wavegirl... when the PATRIOTS win the superbowl.... i will go back and reference your quote
                "of course not as good as this SuperBowl repeat is going to be." big_smile

2. Mighty Mom profile image77

All in.
                ALL in.

#Allin MM yes we are #ALLin

Go Giants!
                  http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6085006_f248.jpg

What a picture!! That says it all!

2. wavegirl22 profile image49

smile

OMG, wavegirl!!  I thought of you so often this afternoon wondering if people were posting as the game progressed. CONGRATULATIONS, WOMAN!!

We had a SB party here so it would have been rude to say 'excuse me, gotta check my hub forum.'
                    So where the heck is everyone?
                    Eating their words, eh???

I'll change my MM avatar back ... maybe tomorrow.
                    Tonight, tho, it's ALL IN FOR NEW YORK!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqlJl1LfDP4

8. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

Patriots all the way!

9. jcales profile image53
    jcalesposted 12 years ago

Since I am Cruz hater. Go Pats!!

Giants are a hot team. it's too bad they get a 1 week off (sarcastic).
    Because it usually throws off the rhythym of a hot team.

Brady wants revenge but Pats defense is weaker than the 49ers (which is my team)

Seriously how can anyone hate Cruz. Unless of course you have something against the Salsa!

10. optimus grimlock profile image61
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

How can you hate cruz????? Hes a goo wr and this year the best of the 3. The Giants d line will show up big but big brady will kill them with littl te passes all day long.

11. IJR112 profile image60
    IJR112posted 12 years ago

I think the Patriots are going to win.  The Giants offense is too sporadic, especially with such a shaky offensive line.  The Patriots offense will be in tip-top shape and score some serious points on the Giants D.

Nope.
      Eli's taken his last sack of the season.

2. 910chris profile image74

I don't feel threatened at all by the Pats defense. The Packers and 49ers have a way better defense than the Pats have. The Giants D is so hot its ridiculous! Not to mention there O-line has given up more sacks than last year, but the way they have gelled since the playoffs gives me no reason to think he will be rushed anymore than the Falcons were able to do.

12. MarkRFox profile image61
    MarkRFoxposted 12 years ago

you don't mom101...if it's it's minus 3.5 then if the favorite wins by only 3 you still lose the bet...if they win by 4 or more you win...it's only used for betting purposes.

13. wavegirl22 profile image49

As the old saying goes, offense wins games and defense wins championships.

Nail bitter but in the end ........the New York Giants win!

14. The Suburban Poet profile image82
    The Suburban Poetposted 12 years ago

I think the Giants will win for several reasons:

1) The Patriots won their conference in a down year. Peyton Manning was out and had Matt Schaub not gotten injured, it's possible the Houston Texans would have had the home field advantage in the playoffs meaning New England would have had to travel to Houston.

2) Defense - The Giants have a tremendous pass rush. As Mike Tyson once said, "Everybody has a plan until they get hit." When Brady starts getting smacked around then things will change.

3) I believe the Giants offense has a greater advantage over the Patriots defense than the Patriots offense might have over the Giants defense meaning Eli will be able to move the ball especially because Cruz and Nicks are such great receivers who make plays happen.

4) Giants beat the defending Super Bowl champions in Lambeau.... wow! The Patriots beat Tim Tebo. Now... maybe that means they beat God (ha ha) but in fact we know that God was not involved in this right?

Just to play devil's advocate here (and I am picking the Giants to win):

1) The Giants had a negative point differential in the regular season. They gave up 6 more points than they scored. The Patriots scored 171 more points than they gave up. Weakened conference or not, the Patriots were overall a much more dominating team in the regular season.

2) The Patriots may have learned their weaknesses from their loss to the Giants in early November. They haven't lost a game since then, and their offense has been modified to take advantage of the two tight end set with lots of "dink and dunk" passes that add up to huge yardage and more running plays featuring tight end Aaron Hernandez (who didn't have a carry in their first game against the Giants). Tom Brady threw for 342 yards the first time they played, but his two interceptions were costly.

3) Despite poor stats overall, the Patriots only allowed an opponent to score 30 points once this season, and it was against Buffalo. The defense can't be blamed for that game, because Brady had a pick-6 and 3 other interceptions. Eli Manning has been playing well lately, but he's also been very lucky. Twice during the game against the 49ers he threw a ball directly to a defender, and twice the cornerback and the safety ran into each other trying to intercept the ball with no receiver near them. One of those collisions caused an injury that took a defensive player out of the game. What should have been 2 interceptions for Eli ended up being a benefit to the Giants because the 49ers defense was weakened by the injury.

4) Going into the playoffs, neither team had a very good record against the better teams in the league this season. The Patriots had zero wins against teams with a winning record (the Giants had 1: the Patriots), but 4 teams on their schedule finished 8-8 and would have had a winning record if the Patriots had lost to them. The Jets would have been a 10-win team if they had won both games against the Patriots instead of losing both.

1. puter_dr profile image90
        puter_drposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I really have no horse in this race, but I am thinking the Giants in a squeaker.

2. wavegirl22 profile image49

Moot - regular season over and we all know the post season is as good a 'new season'

Hence the Pats are due for another loss to their Achilles Heel

football gods are shinning down

If only their locker room wasnt diseased.. . . if only I could give a huge list of if only's  . .just glad NY has options and the Giants in the SB to take care of what the Jets couldnt attain. Big brother Gints will put the evil kids on the Jets block away and JetLife, I mean MetLife can go back to being the Meadowlands . home of the big blue

Glad to see you are picking the GMen. . .or am I?

its all good DB  . .and you know I love your take on the game!!!!

When the Giants smacked down the Jets they got the confidence boost they neede. That game set the tone for the rest of the year, I think without that win; the Giants might not be here.

15. I am DB Cooper profile image63

ESPN is reporting that Gronkowski has a high ankle sprain. He claims he'll be ready for the big game, but it's doubtful he'll be at 100%. This is a major blow to the Patriots, as Gronkowski was their most-targeted receiver.

Belicheck cant be too happy with Rons, dad Gordie as he is the one supposedly who leaked this one. Gronkowski missed practice Thursday, but his dad said his son would be able to play in the Super Bowl in pain.

Not a good piece of news for the Pats as Gronkowski is probably the the most indispensable player on the Patriots offense besides Tom Brady, so his health and his pain will be key on Super Bowl Sunday.

16. adjkp25 profile image89
    adjkp25posted 12 years ago

It will come down to Brady and Manning.  If Brady plays like he did against Denver the Pats win.  If he plays like he did against the Ravens The Giants win.

R u serious?

How is Brady to play against the Giants front 4?

Hmmm

Here just one of them

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/full/503919151.jpg?Expires=1327702975&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=02vCbW4mjx-SHceZY3dFr0P4vl0l01LRmQC~5wrJrzMKHVVjagnWm-u3GO3o5AdrnI-NIJth-R5cbsdVMp9OYBHjH1lqojXMbKEKzncSEA57nmVH1Y~gOChBOp8LKc6R87UFv~BPWPGTPd-h8MCXiqEINa5bzOmynbpqq02C~Dg_

#Allin Baby

17. optimus grimlock profile image61
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

gronks injury is overplayed by the media just like bellicheck wants!so dont be shocked when he gets 150 yards and 2-3 td's. The giants hae a good passrush but brady reads that and will take advantage of the soft middle plus rolle will have troubles with welker!

18. MarkRFox profile image61

It's Rolle man..not Role..LOL...anyway...yes the Patriots can take advantage of an aggressive pass rush with plenty of screens to either Woodhead or Faulk...it could be a good time to unleash a lot of those...hell even to players like Welker or Hernandez...I could see that...I don't see Gronk getting 150 and 2-3 TDs but I do see him having a major impact...I also see them running the ball quite a bit up the middle as the Giants are prone to getting gashed in the run game.

19. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 12 years ago

Playing in Indy has to be good for the Pats with all their experience there.  I'm just hoping for a good game and I'd really like to see Manning or Brady put their team on their back and carry them to a win in a magical way. 

If Manning has two superbowl rings, does this get him into the Hall of Fame?

You think Indy's gonna work for Brady more than Manning?
      Interesting. I think the opposite.
      I have always "felt" there's an added incentive for little Eli this year, and that is Peyton's injury. Clan Manning cannot be discounted as a factor in the game psychology in Indy.

20. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 12 years ago

Giants Lose sad

21. MarkRFox profile image61

Brady won in the RCA dome..actually as I pointed out in the most comprehensive and well researched Super Bowl preview you will find on the net, Eli and Tom are a combined 0-2 at Lucas Oil Field...Brady barely lost and Eli got pummeled...read more about it here. <link snipped - no promotional links>

22. MarkRFox profile image61

<link snipped - no promotional links>

Self Promotion is a no no.

Time for you to read TOS.

23. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

Well, I hate to say "I told you so" (except when it's true. lol

I picked the Giants by 6. Right here on this forum!

The officials odds were Pats by 2.5.

And not a single hubber besides us grrrls talking about the game.
    They must be pouting like Brady. Awww.

Oh well, guys. There's always next year!
    lol

Hey, don't forget about me! I predicted this back in week 6, and I have the Hub to prove it!! It is funny how they told us we would lose to the Packers, the 49ers, and the Pats. Where are those haters now?? "Eli sucks, he got lucky the first time." "Eli folds under pressure." Guess what? We just proved to the world that we are better than the rest!!

There he is!
        Been wondering where you went oh loyal Giants supporter!
        No haters allowed on here.
        If you're not ALL IN like us, go lick your wounds and tend to your hangover in private.
        We know the truth!!

24. wavegirl22 profile image49

i sure didnt forget you . . go check your Giants Hub as I updated my comment and congratulate smile for when I came back here to this thread and cheered a bit with MM, I saw no sign of you so I went to get you wink

you got that right  . .this is all about the glory of Champions!

The GRACIOUS glory of champions
      smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)