Legalize Marijuana - Good Idea

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (77 posts)
  1. Paul Wingert profile image60
    Paul Wingertposted 12 years ago

Is there any good reason why marijuana is illegal? The reasons why it was outlawed in the first place is totally ridiculous. Pot does have medical uses -ask anyone going through chemo, nausea, etc. Queen Victoria ate marijuana baked in pastries for mental cramps in the mid 1800's. By legalizing marijuana, that opens a commodity that can be taxed. Also it would empty a portion of the jails and prisons that would free up massive amounts of tax dollars that can be used elsewhere more important. 75% of the prison population is there on a drug offence. Does locking up drug dealers and users solve anything? Unlike a murderer or a bank robber, for every one drug dealer that is taken off the street, there are 10 more to take his or her place. Just like the days of bootlegging in the 20's. Apparently politicians missed American History class in high school on  the 19th Amendment (Prohibition). What did the 19th Amendment do, besides becoming the first Constitutional Amendment to actually take away rights? Did it stop people from drinking? No - party as usual. Did it stop crime? No - it made the bootleggers rich. Did it fill up the jails and prisons? Yes - it gave 1/3 of the US population arrest and jail records and they continued to drink upon being released. Did it take away taxes? Yes - Before prohibition, a good portion of taxes came from liquor. It took a Great Depression to get it in the politicians’ heads that the 19th Amendment was a huge mistake. Marianna should be legalized, taxed, and controlled, and treated like cigarettes and liquor.  No one report ably died from smoking marijuana and, like liquor and cigarettes, minors will access it like they do now. So there goes the argument of minors getting their hands on it. I’m sure some of you readers puffed on it in your teen or preteen years.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you're serious about legalizing Pot, vote for Ron Paul.

If not, then keep voting for the other idiots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcIRwyJE-GY

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
        Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If they ban a one kind of plant in every country in the world. Then what is stopping them from banning us from all plants on earth.

What's next , water?

2. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 12 years ago

I am all for 'medicinal' use - let it get regulated with physicians and govt - but not for having it available for 'addictions' tongue what in gawd's name is 'mental cramps'? lol smile

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol...was wondering that myself....am now picturing someone's brain cramping up....ouch!....a huge headache?  lol

1. Diane Inside profile image73
        Diane Insideposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

3. TheMagician profile image86
    TheMagicianposted 12 years ago

Not a fan of smoking it, but if you wanna talk about some really good chocolate chip cookies with a bit of flare, then I am down lol

But REALISTICALLY, sooner or later its going to be legalized, and most likely regulated. Just gotta wait a bit longer!

agree,

Paul Wingertposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't smoke the stuff, but a huge fan of brownies and chocolate chip cookies.

4. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 12 years ago

Its a wonder the Governments have moved to legalize it ,like they do with other drugs -tobacco and alochol for all that extra tax!

If I had my way, or was god, I would consider making  tobacco illegal in every country in world and make pot legal in every country. Tobacco kills more people in the world than all drugs combined, where pure pot has not directly kill anyone. It's all about the 1% fear that the people will gain green power over their toxic and over controlling products

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Tobacco definately is more addictive and leading health professionals support this fact.

Doesn't follow that pot is any better -long term though,and don't forget pot is stronger now than it used to be,and potentially opens the door for stronger drugs for maybe addictive prone personalities.

It's a case of mankind abusing substances,simple as that.

5. Jed Fisher profile image69
    Jed Fisherposted 12 years ago

First of all, legal weed would cut deeply into the profits of the pharmaceutical companies. Then there is the cotton industry, it certainly doesn’t want to compete with hemp. And the oil industry, they know that petroleum is needed to produce polyester, and that hemp is a superior product to polyester and a lot cheaper to produce.
    Another thought, modern consumerism is based on attacking a person's self-esteem and then selling them a product to temporarily relieve those bad feelings. (Like, they convince you you're weak and fat and then sell you a fitness gadget you'll never use.) People who can just 'burn one' when they feel bad, they don't play in to the hands of the modern consumerest scam.
    So that's about it, weed is illegal because the big dogs don't want to compete with it.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1

Very well said.

Cannabis can make 50,000 different products.

Scientist did manage to kill a lad rat from Cannabis, they dropped a one ton bale of cannabis on his head from a building 10 stories up.

Canvas is one product. That's where word "cannabis" comes from.Today's useless pieces of information.

1. Jed Fisher profile image69
            Jed Fisherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

One of the many things on the llist of reasons for American independance from the Empire was the attempt to ban the cultivation of hemp.

6. profile image52
    ThomasChaposted 12 years ago

When they can find a way to legally tax it grow it and package and mfg it and profitize and exploit it will that day ever come . besides the romance of doing most anything drug or otherwise is that its illegal.
    Zinio Coupon Code

7. Evan G Rogers profile image61
    Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

Everyone knows that weed should be legal:

it would reduce crime, it would reduce the usage of other more dangerous drugs, it would crush drug cartels, and it would save government money.

But the reasons why it won't be decriminalized are easy: Righteous politicians need to "take a hard stance"; the police fraternities need bad guys to chase (or get laid off); and people who sell drugs now want it to be illegal because they can charge more because of less competition.

Legalization makes PERFECT sense, but it won't happen because we suffer a mercantilist economy.

Yes, most of the drug wars are about cannabis and had been going on for 74 years now, and they still don't understand they have lost the war. US police state will not win over pot anymore more than they will win over the Middle East. This part of the law is assumed democracy by the rich  at the expense of the majority of the people which is you and me. Or A**-U-Me

2. Repairguy47 profile image60
      Repairguy47posted 12 years agoin reply to this

From the mental cramp  to if you make marijuana legal it will cut down on crime. Other crazy laws that would reduce crime if made legal.

Murder
      DWI
      Sexual assault
      Etc

Make them all legal and watch the crime rate plummet!

Vote Ron Paul roll

At on time all the illegal drugs, cocain, heroin, meth, etc, were legal.If you read on how some of these drugs became ilegal, just like liquor, it's laughable and sad.

1. Repairguy47 profile image60

Well hell, legalize them man. I love to be around speed freaks and heroin junkies.  roll

1. John Holden profile image60
            John Holdenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't suppose legalising drugs would actually make much difference, they're around you all the time.

Sure it would, I wouldn't be surrounded by criminals. They would all be law abiding citizens.

Well surely that would be a plus point, unless of course you like walking around surrounded by criminals!

Deep thinking man, deep thinking.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image62
                    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

At least he keeps thinking.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image62

Think methodone, if that's legal to use, which it is in the UK, then weed should definitely be legalised.

Yes, and a lot more harmful than weed.

Precisely, it' also creates massive profits. Funny, those strung out from methodone addiction who go on an offending rampage are never discussed.

Slightly off topic but a woman I know got thrown off her meth program for missing an appointment. She's now back on the harder and illegal stuff!

2. Paul Wingert profile image60

Ron Paul has a serious uphill battle ahead of him.

Its probably his history of mental cramps.

I'm not idiot enough to take hard drugs, legal or illegal.  If someone dies because of hard drugs, so be it, one less idiot in the world. Our Doctors are the worst drug pusher of all, when you hit age 50 most doctors want you to be on drugs for the rest of your life

Cannabis  is a soft drug and approve medically by 92% Canadian. More kids today smoke pot than tobacco maybe because they smarter than my generation
            Except for the 10 worst things about pot , It;s illegal X time 10.

1. profile image0
              kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

addicts are not idiots or bad people they are sick. Do the research.  I'm not here to change your mind but can we put ourselves in their shoes?  My shoes?  Shot heroin daily for 24 years and I was able to finally get the help I needed to get and stay clean.  I am not an idiot. hmm:

No Kimberly, you're no idiot. Well done.

No, you are not an idiot. Lots and lots of people fall to heroin and crack and cocaine and crystal meth. Drugs do not discriminate, they do not recognise gender, class, sexuality, level of intelligence, religion etc. There are very complex reasons as to why people use, become addicts. But as always there are always people who judge. I remember when I worked in Little Hulton, I had to work late on a Thursday evening for the methodone clinic, for people who worked. The clients weren't shop assistants or labourers, they were professional people. Substance use is symptomatic of other problems and when those who judge get off their high horse, they might actually learn something.

1. profile image0

Holle hey that's what I was going to say  lol
                  Anyone with a disorder or problem are not idiots.
                  Yes I think all drugs should be legalized, I know far to well they never will, way too much cash for the leaders to ultimately loose.
                  hmm:

Exactly, there was a trial ( a probation trial with the Drug testing team, not trial as in court case) a few years ago, where users were prescribed with heroin (obviously tightly controlled, and a reduction programme) "injectables" as they were used in some other European countries and a replacement for methodone. Overall, the results were impressive. However, it got "dropped" just like that, no explanation.

2. Castlepaloma profile image76

Consider most crimes are related to drugs.

Come on kimberlyslyrics and you guys, we all act like idiots at one time or another. What about all those Books shelves full of- for-dummies-complete-idiots-guides: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Learning. Rather than a self help book, I prefer to help myself. 

Once I had girlfriend that I knew she has hooked on coke for 15 years. Sometimes you must lay down the law for yourself , I told her  If she dose not quit coke, I will quit her. She quit coke and we had a healthy, happy relationship for 8 years. Until one day she started up with coke again , then of course I quit her, because I'm not going to be a part of her suicide mission, that coke became worst than a monotheist God with much deeper negative physical side effects.

3. Hollie Thomas profile image62

Shot heroin daily for 24 years and I was able to finally get the help I needed to get and stay clean.  I am not an idiot

I admire you, Kimberly.

4. Evan G Rogers profile image61

Grats.

I would like to point you to the one presidential candidate who doesn't want to treat drug usage as a crime, but as a disease:

Ron Paul: the same message for 30 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpgWAAmVwDM
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz6MEU4_HFs
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7M9eYHjCKQ

1. profile image0

I believe it is a disease and as far as Castlepaloma, I am sorry you are not more knowledgeable, but many are not and I cannot even respond to that comment.

I know it's a disease at a certain level, my Father was an alcoholic , he finally admitted he was acting like an idiot and in his second half of life he turn it around to being a great person. Weird, I have physical fought at a world class level and the only time I brock anyone's bone, was my Dad's nose bone.  The doctor told me I brock his nose back into place from some other guy breaking it out of place the first time.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image61

Marijuana is the cash cow of gangs and cartels.

End the prohibition, end the gangs.

3. Evan G Rogers profile image61

Your argument is false: violent crimes increase because of weed-prohibition.

Weed is the cash-cow for gangs and drug cartels. I think the number is 60% of the money.

I wouldn't bother, Evan. Trolls only work specific hours.

8. dBrian profile image60
    dBrianposted 12 years ago

My only problem with marijuana being illegal is this... what if I don't want to go through a drug dealer, why can't I just go pick up some cannabis at the walgreens down the street or the gas station.. I mean people go to bars and get crazy drunk, and drive home.. alcohol is way worse and you can pick it up anytime you want it. But weed? really, it's ridiculous that people are sitting in jail right now because of marijuana.

1. profile image0

big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

9. Hokey profile image61
    Hokeyposted 12 years ago

I was caught with weed. Since I was in trouble before(5 and 20 years ago) when I go to court on March 16th I will be going away for 6 months. Sucks. sad

Wow, and the banksters walk. That does suck, I'm sorry to hear it.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image66
      Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to hear that. It's an incredible waste of taxpayer's money. I wonder what they think they are accomplishing?? Not much except ruining a lot of people's lives.

10. Hokey profile image61
    Hokeyposted 12 years ago

Thanks for the kind words. One more non-violent offender off the streets I guess. I am completely eligible for probation but they are being heavy handed. Another person in the same court room got probation for aggravated assault and received probation. Go figure.

Hokey, I'm assuming you're a US citizen? I don't know how probation works there, will you have something like a pre-sentence report? Sorry to ask so many questions but I know nothing about the Us? legal system.

If you have a Probation Officer, for PSR's then perhaps this is something you could explore. You're non violent, haven't been in trouble for a number of years. You are employed? If not you are developing a writing career. Could be perceived by a Probation Officer to be counter-productive to send you to prison now. Just a thought.

1. Hokey profile image61
        Hokeyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes I am a U.S citizen and employed. I am a working musician as well as a carpenter. They already turned me down for drug classes, outpatient treatment probation, and such. I have been dealing with this for three months. I am currently on house arrest and if I am such a danger then why am I on the streets now? Makes no sense but then agaain nothing in th U.S. judicial system does.

1. profile image0

Hokey I am so sorry, I am so sick for you.  I love you and am always here 'K?

1. Hokey profile image61

Thanks sweetheart! You are simply mah-velous!!! wink

My new poem/lyrics "'Til Mournings Gone" is about this.

Nothing in any judicial system makes much sense if you ask me.  It sounds like you are not "prolific" enough, stupid I know. Maybe that's where they are putting their money. Maybe this is completely out of the question, I don't know how your system works- but what about if you wrote to your Probation Officer,or the courts, (I know in the UK you can write to your magistrate or judge prior to the hearing, but you must accept responsibility and THEN talk about mitigating circumstances, check this out first though, as I would not want you to get into further trouble) and suggested voluntary random drug testing, prior to your hearing, to evidence that you are no longer using "cannabis". That without the help of a drug treatment programme, you have been able to "turn your life around"

2. Castlepaloma profile image76

Those laws really suck,and  what do they do to pot smokers, teach them far worst crimes in jail.

Always be looking at the bright side of life anyways, hokey

1. Hokey profile image61

They will not get me down. Luckily I am well versed in life as impermanence. This too shall pass. smile

I don't know what to say! Don't let them get you down.

Hokey, I don't know how to help you here. I wish I did.

11. Hokey profile image61
    Hokeyposted 12 years ago

Thanks for all the support. I dont want to hi-jack Kims thread so Im out. Peace to all.

12. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

...haven't read all the posts...just some...for all of you fighting that fight...keep on fighting...you're good people....KL - you rock!..you keep rockin' gurrrrl!

peace to everyone......

13. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 12 years ago

Truth - you can quite easily grow very good marijuana in your home without much extra energy use or special growing medium.  All you need, really, for your own (or you and your spouse/s.o.) is one medium size plant - and in order to keep things going, you can have two, one budding and one still putting on leaves.  This way you have a supply - if you fertilize properly you have great buds and need smoke or eat only small amounts.  Now, if you stay conscientious about this and don't get tempted to sell any to others and keep it out of public view - you will have no problems.  Of course, you're not going to drive or operate machinery while under the influence.

The problem with cannabis is that people get greedy as they tend to do with everything and want to make a bunch of money from it.  This is where the crime - theft mainly - happens.  People under the influence of marijuana only don't have the urge to commit crimes (unless they're already criminals).

It would be nice to have it be legal - but in the meantime, you don't need to buy it if you can be patient and grow your own and be sensible about it.

But be warned - home grown pot is great and strong and will really alter your consciousness - so use it carefully.  It is a strong drug really and you need to be mentally fit.  Personally, it weirds me out, so I don't consume it any more.  I use other legal herbs for various sedative and health uses.  My advice - stay away from street drugs entirely!

14. ib radmasters profile image58
    ib radmastersposted 12 years ago

I have never used MJ and don't intend to use MJ but as long as Tobacco and Alcohol are legal then I think that MJ should be legal.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)