What Promises will Obama Make to Get Re-Elected?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (55 posts)
  1. Cassie Smith profile image60
    Cassie Smithposted 12 years ago

Since he failed miserably to cut the deficit during his first term and his new budget proposal adds a trillion dollars more to our national debt, what can he promise during his road to re-election?  Here are some of my suggestions.

"My plans will work this time, really."

"Let me make myself clear.  It could have been worse."

"My new stimulus plan will be so big that it will work and not add to our debt."

"Hope is still my motto.  I'm still hoping I can turn things around."

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

2008: "Bailing out the banks was a terrible thing to do, but I did it anyway. Now that they can afford to lend out 0% interest rates, the economy LOOKS like it's doing good JUST in time for re-election!"

2012: "Now that the entire world is failing because they use the dollar -- and we keep making hundreds of trillions out of thin air -- we need to give them even MORE money! ... Don't worry, money IS NOT a commodity!! her der"

... a bust is coming. It's going to be terrible.

2. ib radmasters profile image60
      ib radmastersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cassie

I think that all incumbents should only run on their record.
      If they didn't accomplish their election promises then what are the odds they will do it in they are re-elected.

Slim to none if history is a reference.

3. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually, with the insanity, lies and false accusations from Gingrich, Santorum and Romney being spouted daily, he can simply keep his mouth shut entirely and get re-elected.

1. ib radmasters profile image60
        ib radmastersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

so you are saying that their speeches are worst than the reality stemming from Obama in 2008. Like halving the National Debt in his first term.

2. Paul Wingert profile image60
    Paul Wingertposted 12 years ago

Bin Laden is dead, GM is alive.

1. profile image0
      Longhunterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad Bin Laden is dead. GO SEALs!!!!!

GM should have had to go through reorganization bankruptcy, cutting out the union as much as possible. Instead, GM was given to the union and buyers avoid Government Motors vehicles.

1. Paul Wingert profile image60
        Paul Wingertposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, the world is glad to see that a**hole and his underlings gone. Go Seals!

Either way, GM, and their subcontractors and suppliers are getting back on their feet. Unions are another issue with this country. Main reason why employers outsourse jobs. I personally believe that unions have long served their usefullness and now just getting greedy. The left say that right to work states have lower incomes compaired to unionized states. BUT the cost of living in a unionized state is insanely high. I lived both in a right to work and unionized states and know first hand.

2. steveamy profile image61
        steveamyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

yes,  MItt.... but it did not, and you cannot change the past  -- as  well as the fact the GM had a huge profit this past quarter...

3. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

"Things could be worse...no, really!"

4. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

2008, Bush was president.
    TARP was the law when Obama came into office.

Any Repub would have let GM fail.
    No bust is coming. No end of the world.

Just a fairer country to live in, no matter how much the robber barons cry.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61

0% interest rates for 4 years lead to busts.

1. lovemychris profile image76
        lovemychrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Who's doing that, Obama?

Oh let me guess.....he controls the Federal Reserve, doesn't he? Yes, and he can do anything he likes, even though a Repub House, Filibuster Senate and Tea-Bag Supreme Court are there...

I forgot.

If anyone goes bust...it will be the ones who have had the party. We the People are sick of footing the bill for their good times.

2. profile image0

"Just a fairer country to live in, no matter how much the robber barons cry."

What you really mean is that all the people who work hard for their money should give it up so the ones that are too damn lazy to earn their way get what they want from the government.

That's not a solution, LMC.

No--I want the ones who don't work, and make their billions on investments,or hide their assets, or finagle their bank accounts with lawyerly tricks, to pay as much as those who work hard.

Don't get it twisted.

2. Barnsey profile image71
        Barnseyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Are you saying that people who are not wealthy are lazy? I am not sure you know what you just wrote there. The wealthy, friend, sit on their ass while the rest of us do the hard work. Are you kidding me? The wealthy get things handed to them while the rest of us have to work for it. If you are talking about the millions on welfare and medicaid then I would like to ask you this, Are there enough jobs out there for everyone? What are the people who are left out of the job loop supposed to do?

1. profile image0

There are two legal ways to become wealthy, Barnsey. Inheritance and hard work. Contrary to what liberals believe, no one is going to just walk in and hand you a wad of cash.

If someone died and left you wealthy, would you give it away or sit on your ass and make it grow through investing?

Do you work hard to make a living or are you one of the ones sitting on their ass not doing a thing but waiting on a government handout? I doubt you're the second but which is it?

"If you are talking about the millions on welfare and medicaid then I would like to ask you this, Are there enough jobs out there for everyone? What are the people who are left out of the job loop supposed to do?"

First, I'm talking about the ones capable of working but won't. Second, if you're left out of the job market, there's a reason. Educate yourself or start your own business. There's money out there to do both. You just have to look for it.

1. Barnsey profile image71

Thank you for being candid. I have worked all my life and paying for my home with my own money. I came from a poor family and have struggled all my life due to a lack of education. I recently lost a job I kept for fifteen years and now I am confronted by my lack of initiative.
            I don't mind being honest. I am disenfranchised. I have seen too many good people do all the right things and still get screwed. My father worked his buns off only to die at 40 years old. At a young age I wondered what the point was. Why were we struggling so hard? At that point I decided I didn't really care. I just wanted to work so I could pay my bills and live an normal life. I never had any children so my true responsibility is to me.
            As a new home owner I cannot take out a loan to start my own business or get an education. Additionally I do not want to educate myself. A friend who sounds much like you said, "Figure out what else you want to do, take classes and get out there." I laughed. What I want is to be a novelist but getting published is hard. So far impossible for me.
            I cannot simply pick out a profession and decide I'll do that now, not if my heart isn't into it. I am kind of between a rock and a hard place but honestly all I want to do is work, like I always have. Please do not put me or the multitudes of simple and uncomplicated men in this country into a category. Having money, being succesful, does not give you a right to sneer down your nose at others. That was your choice. You cannot know what others have gone through and where their mindset is.
            The unemployment rate says you are wrong, by the way. Joblessness is as much the fault of big business moving overseas as it is the failing economy. Have you heard about the big lawsuit by culinary students are placing against their schools because they felt they were lied to about the job market? There are only so many jobs out there in any category. It is sad when the fortunate are incapable of seeing things from another person's shoes

1. profile image0

I'm going to say something my dad use to say to me all the time and I hope you take the way it's intended.

Can't never did a damn thing.

Your first paragraph above proves you have what it takes to make something happen.

"What I want is to be a novelist but getting published is hard. "

I'm 50 YO and that's exactly what I want to be when I grow up.

Here's some ideas you may or may not have thought of.  I hope they help.

Have you thought about self-publishing? Do a search here on HP. There's plenty of articles here and on the net. I will caution you to be careful but publishing doesn't always have to through the big publishing houses.

Try smashwords.com. Take a look. You might like it.

"Please do not put me or the multitudes of simple and uncomplicated men in this country into a category. Having money, being succesful, does not give you a right to sneer down your nose at others. That was your choice."

I'm not putting you into a category, Barnsey. If that's a category, I'm right there with you. If you got the impression I was looking down my nose at you, you got the wrong impression. I've been where you are and I'm not rich, not with money, anyway.

"You cannot know what others have gone through and where their mindset is."

You got that right. If you got the impression I was belittling you, I apologize. That wasn't my intention AT ALL. I have a tendency to be a little "in-your-face" sometimes. That's not what I was trying to do.

Point is there's nothing you can't do. I have a hard time remembering that myself sometimes but it's true. 41 hubs in 4 weeks ain't chump change. Keep trying and writing.

5. Greek One profile image62
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

Judging by his competition, if the economy doesn't get worse by election time, he won't have to promise anything to get re-elected.

Romney won't be a match for him, Paul won't be nominated, and Santorum always looks like he is going to cry to me.

You haven't seen their adds yet....

They will have him responsible for the great depression back in the 30's!

Obama caused the great depression, the crash of 79, and forced the banksters to make derivatives....he invaded their dreams and told them to do it....

He hates America.....is a baby-killer....Glenn Beck, Klannity and Russshhhhhhhhh repeat it endlessly so it must be true.

Oh, but the real one....he's the Anti-Christ.

And because I share the beliefs of Obama, that makes me The Devil-Child.

....That's how they'll do it, I bet.

1. Greek One profile image62
        Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I heard he might be black, too

Why, of course, The Food Stamp President!

and he hates white people too...he's a racist. Especially, he hates his mom and grandparents. Oh, what a demon!

1. Greek One profile image62
            Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Damn Nigerian!

Yes. Imagine----working with forces to infiltrate America with foreign initiatives.....hey, wait a minute! Is this Obama we're talking about, or half the US gvt?

2. profile image0

What do you call worse, Greek? Full on depression?

6. lovemychris profile image76

Oh! Right now.....Issa: Obama is trampling on religion!!!  The devil! What'd I tell you!

They're having a HEARING on it!!!

Oh oh......these Jesuits, I have over-looked! I was so intent on Zionists....

Jesuits. Roman Catholic.  ahhhhhh, LMC. You sleep.

7. Wizard Of Whimsy profile image61
    Wizard Of Whimsyposted 12 years ago

‎More of the same from people who don't want to work together for America . . .

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6183081_f520.jpg

"My short answer is that the long-running con game of economic conservatives and the wealthy supporters they serve finally went bad. For decades the G.O.P. has won elections by appealing to social and racial divisions, only to turn after each victory to deregulation and tax cuts for the wealthy — a process that reached its epitome when George W. Bush won re-election by posing as America’s defender against gay married terrorists, then announced that he had a mandate to privatize Social Security." Paul Krugman

Now Ayn-Ryan has that mandate...and Romney agrees heartily.....err/ummm until it's not politically "correct" to do so.

8. profile image57
    geordmcposted 12 years ago

It doesn't matter what promises are made by any candidate. They're ALL liars anyway you look at it

9. lovemychris profile image76

I don't agree with that. The thing is, you always have to work with people who think the polar opposite as you do!

So--if you say "I'm going to do this or that!" because you really mean it....and then you get to Washington, and these other people say "Oh no you're not"...

It's much mor complicated than it looks.

For instance, my Senator Scott Brown...he promised to do what he thought was right, regardless of who's idea it was. I think he has done this. But of course, if he wants to get re-elected, he has a blue state to contend with.

And I know for a fact, that Obama wanted Van Jones as his green czar and much more action on clean energy...but then you come in contact with the old boy network of coal and oil. And they are POWERFUL. So--you can't just do what you want.

He got a lot done though, against the odds...and I believe the ideals he talks about are real, no lie.

10. profile image57
    geordmcposted 12 years ago

Granted, however the promise to be made should be to work with all elected officials and not let lobbists run the country. There are many people who have gone "off-grid" with wind and solar power that THEY built and installed themselves. Coal and gas co.s should be at the fore front of research in these areas instead of trying to rip off the hard-earned money of everyone they can reach.

11. poetvix profile image55
    poetvixposted 12 years ago

I think of it this way... Burn me once.  There is nothing he could ever say that would make me vote for him.  Nothing!

1. livelonger profile image86
      livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You voted for him in 2008? Honestly?

12. Wizard Of Whimsy profile image61
    Wizard Of Whimsyposted 12 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6185261_f520.jpg

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Is that supposed to be a statement by Democrats?
      Because the lack of spelling skills, or the inept editing, is ironic.
      Very juvenile.  And of course inappropriate all around.

1. Wizard Of Whimsy profile image61
        Wizard Of Whimsyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I corrected the mistake, but the uncorrected version stayed in the post for some unknown reason—to me anyway.

It was just joke,  not a serious post—nevertheless, you seem to be unaware of some of the conservative mindsets around here. This seems like the only effective way to point out the bias.  Sorry if your sensibilities were bruised, Brenda. 

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6187740_f520.jpg

2. Evan G Rogers profile image61

ROFL, good call Brenda!

13. innersmiff profile image65
    innersmiffposted 12 years ago

'The Obama Deception'
    Why every promise he made has not gone through, and why they never will - he works for the same banking cartel establishment as Bush and Clinton. Bush's policies with a black face are suddenly hailed by Democrats as 'progress', 'change', 'hope'. He's not even a President.

5 Reasons not to vote for Obama:
    1. 'Got out' of Iraq 3 years later than he promised, and still not out.
    2. Extended the Patriot Act and passed NDAA.
    3. Supports the Federal Reserve, which has 'lost' something like $8 trillion....let me repeat that ...8 TRILLION DOLLARS.
    4. Allows prisoners, including American Citizens, to be taken away to foreign countries to be interrogated, tortured and detained without trial.
    5. Sanctions and embargos on Iran, which will inevitably lead to yet another war if it isn't stopped.

Obama campaigns on 'hope and change' so that the electorate can apply basically anything they want to on to it. Vote for Obama for no hope, and no change.

1. kerryg profile image85
      kerrygposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with all five of those reasons, and even have a few more to add, but to imply that he's broken all of his promises isn't true:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter … /obameter/

I also can't see Romney or Gingrich being any kind of improvement since they hang with the same banking cartel, Santorum would make Bush II a pleasant memory, and Paul has good ideas in some areas and is a complete wacko in others, so unfortunately Obama will have to do. tongue

1. innersmiff profile image65
        innersmiffposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As far as the key promises he campaigned on are concerned, Obama has been a colossal failure. And don't mistake me for some kind of Romney or Gingrich supporter. 'Settling' for Obama is like settling for cancer over AIDS because a cure is too 'wacko'. Compromise has got us to this point and compromise is not going to get us out of it.

14. LucidDreams profile image63
    LucidDreamsposted 12 years ago

Why do people continue to vote for the lesser of 2 evils? Have we not figured out yet that this is a really bad idea? If you want to change something don't "rock the vote". Make a statement with your silence.

Of course getting everyone to do this is too hard to organize and many still believe that voting for the lesser of 2 evils is somehow good and patriotic!

Kind of like choosing between two cars that don't run and saying...."I need a car though". Either way....the car does'nt run.

Dont count on these jokers to help the economy on either side. Politics as usual, just saying what Americans want to hear to get a vote and then get in offices and play games until the next election cycle.

Something is going to give!

15. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 12 years ago

After reading all of the posts here it is clear to me that we are as divided in our views as the rest of the country.  There has been entirely too much propaganda and there have been entirely too many people believing it.  We should remember that whoever becomes President is just one person.  The Legislature is full of people on both sides who have made many bad mistakes.  Many of them have worked against Obama to make anything he tried to do difficult.  Not matter who wins, I think you will see this same trend.  We will not improve anything until we unite.  The Taliban is just loving watching America self destruct.  Don't play into their hands.  Stop arguing and fighting and threatening.  We're losing our own battle by doing that.

16. danielthorne profile image40
    danielthorneposted 12 years ago

"A house divided cannot stand".

17. mrshadyside1 profile image61
    mrshadyside1posted 12 years ago

At one point I thought the President might be trying but read this article and research the subject.The GOP candidates are a joke and Obama supports the end of the constitution. There's not much hope. Maybe Ron Paul but that will never happen.www.forbes.com/.../2012/.../president-obama-signed-the-national-def...

18. ib radmasters profile image60
    ib radmastersposted 12 years ago

Incumbents and especially President Obama should be judged on their accomplishments or non accomplishments in office and not on new promises.

If they didn't keep their original election promises what are the odds of keeping their new ones.

President Obama didn't improve the country which is still at the bottom of the economic pit. After three years he owns the economy, and more importantly he owned when his elections promises got him into office. It didn't matter how bad the economy or the country was when he was elected. He got the job because of his promise to fix it.

So re-elections should focus primarily on the accomplishments of the incumbent be it the President or the Congressmen.

19. momster profile image60
    momsterposted 12 years ago
  20. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Me do - but only where there are honest politicians. In america at least, that means only on the local and sometimes state level.

21. momster profile image60
    momsterposted 12 years ago

We can see how on top of things are government is when they allow dead people to vote? Wouldnt ya think they had someone in charge of that department?

22. maxoxam41 profile image64
    maxoxam41posted 12 years ago

The same ones that Bush made! It did not bother any of his electorate at the moment! Furthermore which politician from right or "left" doesn't make promises to be seated in the ovale office?

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
      Jean Bakulaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think the most sensible thing on here was written by TIMETRAVELER2. The country is so divided. We always end up voting for the lesser of evils. All of the candidates go in trying to "fix" everything or "change" it, but the job is much harder than any candidate ever expects it to be. The President is only one person, no matter who it is, and can only do so much. It seems to me it takes years to understand all the insider stuff that goes on in Washington, and it's all a lot more complicated. It shouldn't have to be, the people should know all that goes on. And I think the US needs more than 2 parties that are so idealogically different they can't agree on anything anyway.

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
        Jean Bakulaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry for the bad spelling. Wrote too fast.

23. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image73
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 12 years ago

Even if “they” prove Obama is the Antichrist, he will still win, no matter what he does or does not promise. Unless . . .

I mean, who is going to accept Santorum’s VP, the Pope. Romney is too rich. Paul is too old. Gingrich can’t win because all his ex’s will start selling the sex tapes once he takes the lead.

The Republicans one and only chance is to unanimously endorse a woman as their candidate.

Who, you might ask.

No, not Sarah. I wouldn’t vote for her unless she appeared nude in Playboy.

Think about it.

Many women who supported Obama over the other Democratic choice now realize their mistake. That other Democratic choice in question is still pissed he won the job she thinks she was destined for.

You don’t think she would sell her democratic soul to become president?   

Or the Republicans wouldn't sell their souls to win this election?

A match made in heaven. Or hell.

1. Barnsey profile image71

Good point! I would have voted for old Mrs Clinton too, just like I did for Obama, there was no way I was going to let republicans screw things up even further. But if she were republican what would I do? Hmmm...Crap! I don't know, maybe you should ask this as a question, Would you vote for Hillary if she became a repub and ran against Obama? Nice.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)