Denigrating a Fellow Hubber in Your Hub

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (131 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

Disagreements regarding a hub is expected and normal.  Sometimes such disagreements can be quite emotional and intense.   However, it is quite declasse to write a hub mentioning a hubber with whom you disagree with in a quite negative light.   Has another hubber ever written a negatively explosive hub about you?  If so, how did you respond to such an inflammatory hub?  It is one thing to critique a hub but one just does not critique a hubber's marital status and/or lifestyle.  That is subpar behavior! What is your take on this?

1. maxravi profile image44
      maxraviposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I always take criticize in a positive way.I know its not easy.You will find people so often who offend personally.I would suggest to ignore this and move on.

gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+++++++++.

2. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
      Gordon Hamiltonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you absolutely. It is definitely not on and I am fairly certain it will also be against Hub Pages' terms of service. I can honestly say that I don't ever recall reading a Hub which was guilty of this tactic but if I did, I would be certain to flag it for the moderators.

Right on, George.  Why we are free to disagree with each other on hubs and forums, personal attacks and namecalling is clearly beyond the pale of professional Hub conduct.

3. Melissa A Smith profile image96
      Melissa A Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well guess what? That's what happens when you demean people's livelihoods, they become upset. And sometimes when people are upset they do things that are "declasse". The user you are referring to contacted me. You understandably upset her with your comments. Just because you aren't as 'forward' with your insults doesn't make them OK, and you should be ready to deal with the consequences. I outlined the issues with the way you present your hubs and you should consider them. You have been proved wrong by your replies so if you really do care about people as you claim you will amend your attitude.

4. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you!

Thank you habee.  You are the ultimate epitome of class.

5. cloverleaffarm profile image69
      cloverleaffarmposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree. If you write a hub on something that another hubber disagrees with, it is totally unprofessional to do a counter attack. It's their views. If you do not agree, you can move on. I saw this just yesterday. A hubber wrote a hub about his views, and another hubber had to write a hub back about him. Just shows the intelligence level of the second hubber. It's like being in grade school all over again.

This "hubber" is emotionally at a grade school level.  The "hubber" even attacked the author's socioeconomic, educational, and marital status.  Maybe the "hubber" is embittered and envious because the "hubber" has no life and aspirations to think of.  Thank you for elucidating your points.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
          paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Any chance this "hubber" may be under 18 and thus in violation of tos in that regard as well...? smile

2. Melissa A Smith profile image96

I take it here that no one here knows about the hub that has generated the controversy, and are just being amiable toward the only side of the story that is being presented. GM, great to see that the hub in question caused you to become so upset that you had to seek self-gratification with unknowing individuals here. Maybe you now realize the feelings your words accomplish, because in this particular post you are also venting. And you have the gall to act like that other hubber is the only one at a 'grade school level'. I'm surprised at your age. Continue keeping your head buried in the sand, I can't stop you.

6. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you love yourself truly, you know you're above all that... just let it go, and keep doing your thing.

I am so above this.  Thank you so much and God bless you.

1. Melissa A Smith profile image96

Yes you are. You're above everyone and everything. In your mind.

1. janesix profile image59
            janesixposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Or so she wants to be, so pathetically much

2. gmwilliams profile image85

Melissa, I refuse to stoop to your level.  I have been around people and what I am saying regarding an equal parity regarding relationships is true.  I am finished with you.  I was taught well by my parents to be particular as to whom to enter relationships with. 

If you have observed, the majority of relationships are between people of equal and/or similar backgrounds educationally, intellectually, and socioeconomically.  That is reality.  Like is attracted to life.  Relationships when one partner is more educated and socioeconomically affluent than the other partner is rare indeed.  That is a fact of life.

1. janesix profile image59

As to whom to enter a relationships?

Typing too fast. Corrected, thank you, janesix!

What level is that? The one that refuses to demean people (unless...it is deserved). How does it feel?
              I know of people like you. If enough people agree with you, and if you present yourself in an eloquent fashion, you think you can get away with the things you are doing and saying. You think you can happily crush the little guy, that you DESERVE to and are ENTITLED to. Well it just happened to backfire on you this time. I pray similar occurrences happen offline.

Oh the Occupy Wall Street mentality, eh!

You're so weird...

3. cloverleaffarm profile image69

The moment you typed this, you stooped. And to what level is are you stooping? It sounds like you have WAY to high an opinion of yourself. Maybe Hub Pages just isn't for you. You wouldn't want to hang around with those who don't have a college education.

Many hubbers have a college education and some even have postgraduate education.  Speak for yourself!

P.S. It is supposed to be "too", not "to" high of an opinion.

1. cloverleaffarm profile image69

I am speaking for myself.  I did go to college, but many hubbers who may not have graduated from college, are quite smart in their own way.  I do not judge them.
                  One does not need a college education to prove they are better educated. You have proven this.

PS. Your arrogance is showing. Before one starts correcting others, one should read and correct their own profile page. While you were attending your "High and Mighty 101", your typing skills show you missed "Typing 101."

2. John Holden profile image60
          John Holdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am so above this. . . Didn't they teach you to speak proper at your posh school then!

Klaraweick, if you have the time, skim the rest of this thread and learn who the true perpetrator is.

1. profile image0

well. . . you know . . . it takes two to tango, but you just can't take everything so seriously. I've been harassed before. They've even questioned my ability to do my job because of my spirituality, but you just have to know better. Forums and hubs are not meant to change people's minds. So, it's best to put all the bickering aside and move on.

Amen, you are such a beautiful and evolved soul.  Let me get back on track.

Maybe that would be best, but hey, we're not all perfect wink

1. profile image0

No, we're not perfect, but like Joe Dirt used to say... "You just have to keep on keeping-on!"

+++++.

7. nightwork4 profile image61
      nightwork4posted 11 years agoin reply to this

i seriously wouldn't care. i would throw something back at them just because that's how i am but that's about it. if i could meet the person face to face then i might have a little talk with them about being rude to people they don't know but other then that, i wouldn't care.

Hey, it is all good.  A guest commenter already called the hubber out on this.  I moved on.  This is par for life.  I have read many hubs that I disagreed with but hey this is a free country.  Let them say what they want and speak their peace.  It is them, not me!

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

A: I don't foresee any such hub ever getting any money-making traffic. So let them spin their wheels...

Or

B: Sue the bastard.

To paradigmsearch: Right on, you are indeed a professional!

Thanks! big_smile big_smile big_smile

High five, you are indeed welcome.

I feel compelled to create a hub about such mindless following.

If you know the hub GM is referring to, tell us. smile

The hub is entitled "Why It Is Unwise for College Educated and Post Graduate Professional Women To EVEN CONSIDER Lesser Educated Men". You can only imagine what kind of things were said about people's relationships that compelled that hubber to go off the deep end. Comments made that basically say that one's spouse is too stupid to be with the other. Most of it is probably deleted. I think that GM should hold herself responsible for it instead of suggesting that the hubber is just jealous and unambitious.

Good to know, but what I meant was what is the hub that "trashed" GM? Then we will know if GM's feelings are justified.

Paradigm, please ignore Melissa.  Melissa is a fan of this hubber.  Let us proceed as is.

1. profile image0
                    EmpressFelicityposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have found (and commented on) the hub of yours that I think might have prompted the other person's "anti-you" hub.

While (like others) I think it is kind of trashy to write hubs that bash other hubbers, I also think that you have a certain amount of responsibility that you're not owning up to.

After all, if you write deliberately controversial, provocative and anger-generating hubs, then you shouldn't be surprised if people respond in a like fashion.

What a joke gm, I'm not a fan of anyone. That's a very malicious thing for you to do. Even if I was, so what? That doesn't justify the things you said in the comment section of your hub that you refuse to take responsibility for. It is entirely relevant to the response you received. And you are getting petty little revenge by creating this thread. This shows your true colors, lying and trying to turn people against me. I'm speaking the truth.

I know that you are not referring to me, but your putting your post as a reply to mine will confuse people who will think you are... sad

I'm not sure I understand? GM wasn't trashed in the thread, it was a discussion about people's relationships that got ugly. And now you can see that she is trying to turn people against me. I'm actually surprised at this shocking turn.

1. cloverleaffarm profile image69

I am not against you.

2. cloverleaffarm profile image69

Love knows no educational boundaries. It does not matter who is more educated.

1. IzzyM profile image87
                  IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually it does. If you consider education to equal intelligence, you will find cracks appearing in the marriage of an unequal couple years down the line.

1. John Holden profile image60

But I've known highly educated people who are as thick as two short planks and totally uneducated people that are highly intelligent.

Izzy darling, a VOICE of reason.   You have elucidated my sentiments exactly.  Izzy, people are so afraid of the truth.  The truth is that the average relationship between people of divergent educational backgrounds are not always harmonious.  They have different interests, wants, needs, and desires.  I remember my parents inculcating me that a college educated, professional person is better off with a person of the same background.   

I have friends, associates, and family (college and/or postgraduate educated and professional) who entered into relationships with undereducated, nonprofessional men with disastrous results to say the least.  They stated that if they had to do it over, they would have neer entered into such a relationship.  They reported to having nothing in common.   While some(who were older in their 70s and 80s) suffered in silence and agony, these who are younger left that relationship and found men of similar background.  Izzy, you are right on target.  Give me a high five!

@ IzzyM I think this thread is a -shining- example of how education is not synonymous with intelligence.

4. cloverleaffarm profile image69

That is just bull. I know a couple where he was highly educated, and she can not spell to save her life. She had a hard time graduating high school. They have been happy for almost 20 years.

Just went to read it. What a shallow, narrow minded person. I truly hope that someone doesn't really feel that way. If so, they are in for a very shallow, and narrow minded life, and I would like to be around when Karma bites them in their butt smile. Step away from the idiots. It's not worth the aggravation.

3. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

In answer to the OP's question, if anybody ever has I haven't seen it (which is just as well, because I probably would have written my own "anti-them" Hub to point out either what they didn't get, what they misinterpreted, how tacky they were to write a Hub and mention my name, or even how it was I could easily back up what I said in the original Hub and in one way or another.

Writing a Hub and mentioning another Hubber isn't what people are supposed to do on here, and it's tacky to boot.  Commenting on the Hub in question and asking the writer to clarify, or back up what he's said; or else even saying one doesn't agree with, or questions, what's been said in the Hub are what people generally do and fine.  We're all told to ignore things like crazy or hostile comments, and I don't disagree with that.  BUT, if someone singled me out and wrote a Hub about me or a Hub I'd written - no.  I'd address it head on, especially if it weren't accurate.  People should be held accountable when they dirty up someone else's name by writing a Hub about him or his writing, rather than taking any questions/disagreements they think are so important directly to the person.  That particular "MO" is being a coward, and there's nothing like pulling a coward out from hiding and letting "the world" see how he does things.  hmm

++++++++.

This "hubber" even used the names of the author's two hubs.  How unprofessional is that!  Now that is the epitome of low cultured behavior!

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

If tit happens, flag it. Anything else just feeds the troll.

5. John Holden profile image60
    John Holdenposted 11 years ago

About a year ago a hubber wrote a hub directly critical of another hubber. The other hubber retaliated. 
    Neither are still on Hubpages, quickly banished by the powers that be.

There you go.

6. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

I have never written a hub to dispute another hub or about a specific hubber. I have had plenty of comments from people who didn't like what I had to say on the matter and insults were the only way for them to communicate. For some people it is easier to sling insults(or what should probably be perceived as insulting) as a reactionary step based on emotional turmoil because of the writing.

However, as John just said, those who write hubs to attack other people, usually are not around long.

Cagsil, you are so on target.  That is why you are one of the most respected and beloved hubbers around.  You are awesome, man!

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the kind words.

7. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

I'm curious about the counter hub also.  I don't see a problem with debating an issue, but personal attacks against another hubber are not allowed.

Wherever it is, I can't find it. And I'm pretty good at that sort of thing. Even if the critter has been deleted, we can still read it in cache. So if anybody knows...

It's also very hard to understand because she doesn't use the proper quotation marks and things like that.

The counter hub did contain some personal attacks, not unlike what GM has made here, as well as addressing the alternative opinion. The title is "HIGHLY EDUCATED PEOPLE DO NOT REIN SUPREME"

I'm off to read it. smile

2. janesix profile image59

A title like that doesn't help their case much.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image81
          Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

1. profile image0
            donnaMhicksposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, what Uninvited Writer said

Just walk away from the arrogance. If you give someone enough rope, they will hang themselves...all on their own smile

8. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

I am departing this mess. You guys have fun. smile

Thank you, paradigmsearch.  Let us do some deep meditation now!   Hope your Sunday was great, mine was so far!

2. paradigmsearch profile image60

What!?! I'm still here!?! big_smile

Off to do errands.

I'm with you.  I going to amazon.com to browse some books on the occult and then watch Bram Stoker's Dracula on my portable dvd player.

9. janesix profile image59
    janesixposted 11 years ago

The ONLY difference between these two, is one is illiterate and one is not.

Harsh...but I'm glad you see that both are equally responsible.

1. Helena Ricketts profile image91
        Helena Rickettsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't know about that.   I've been watching this mess since the beginning.  I warned the OP on the original hub in my second comment that anger was not a good emotion to bring out in readers.  Anger is not healthy, period.  It causes people to think irrationally which is exactly what happened to the hubber that created the second hub.  The OP is obviously intelligent enough to know what she's doing and what she is doing is attacking another hubber (after being attacked herself of course) in the comments on her hub then coming here looking for sympathy... and more traffic to the hub. 

Intentionally posting content that you know will anger people is not the way to go here.  After watching this unfold (and I have been watching since the beginning) and seeing this thread started, I'm thinking that this is nothing more than a well calculated manipulating marketing ploy to draw attention on one's hub.  Granted traffic is traffic but this went too far when the second hubber was angered so badly that it caused her to go to such extreme measures to help quell her anger and make her feel whole again.

If you read the comments on the first hub, you'll see that the OP was instigating a lot of the negativity on that hub that is going back and forth between her and the other hubbers.  Instead of doing as HubPages suggest in their last blog and either ignoring or deleting the comments, she was an active participant to keep the drama going because it generates traffic.

They are both responsible for their own actions and of provoking each other in the comments section on the original hub.  Anger is never a good emotional state to be in when trying to have a debate based solely on opinion.

This has really just gotten completely out of hand.

1. profile image0

Gosh, ya think? lol lol

I did not write the hub for sensationalism.  To write a hub for that purpose is totally against the grain for me.  I wrote this because it was heartfelt by me and this is how I truly feel.  I have felt this way since I was about twelve years old.  I was inculcated from childhood to achieve and to aspire to the better things of life educationally, intellectually, and socioeconomically.  Let me not digress.  Each hub that I write is sincere.  I am a sincere person and write about subjects and topics that I am passionate about,  believe in, and am genuinely interested in.  I, myself, am shocked that this hub have received so much response and many views in just a few days.

1. profile image0

So was I, but I was also taught not to assume that one size fits all.

10. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

Actually that's what you did in your comments and the hub itself.
    You have to expect with the tone and assertions you make in that hub to trigger heated responses. While I agree with some of what you have written, it's certainly not fact based. You make every female college graduate sound like an elitist, which we are not. You make the non college grad sound boring and unmotivated which is simply not true.
    The counter hub does not mention your name. She is expressing her views in response to the views expressed in your hubs and comments.

This forum thread? Clever, but a little declasse, imo.

It is not elitist for a highly educated woman to only want a relationship with a man of similar background.  It is the intelligent thing to do.  I was taught this by my parents who have risen themselves from poverty to middle class status.  I also have friends, family, and associates who are of the same belief as I regarding this matter.  What I have delineated in my hub was not controversial at all but mere commonsense!

1. John Holden profile image60

It almost frightens me that there are people out there who think like you!

2. janesix profile image59

Lol....you're going to keep going with this? How much more can you say about the subject? If you need to bolster yourself up so badly, it's only showing that you have really, really low self esteem.

Stop embarassing yourself.

11. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

Opinion hubs are just that - opinions. Every hubber is entitled to his opinions. I read the hub by gm, and although I don't completely agree with it, she's certainly entitled to her opinion. It's not like she called out specific hubbers in the hub.

Gm is probably correct in her assertions, for the most part, but that doesn't mean it's true in every case. I have more education than my husband, but he's very intelligent, talented, and artistic. He's amazing with building, making furniture, creating acrylic paintings, and electrical stuff. I feel we complement each other well, and we've been happily married for 25 years.

That being said, I didn't feel at all "attacked" by Gm's opinions.

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
      SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Like you, I don't feel "attacked" either, but I think one reason people are upset with the hub may be that gmwilliams is presenting her opinions as bonafide 100% facts.

Thank you SmartAndFun, I have read hubs that were even more vitriolic than mine.  I just read it, learned something from it if possible, and moved on.....This is why I like HubPages.  There are so many divergent opinions which is totally enrichening and quite exhilarating.

Just please remember that opinions are not necessarily facts and should not be treated as such.

That's pretty much the reason. She is entitled to her opinion...but she has disrespected those who have refuted her opinion by talking down to them in the manner that she has.

Unfortunately, I have seen her do it before. Perhaps this is her preferred MO.

12. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

This popped up before with some thinking if you don't graduate university you are somehow less intelligent. Not everyone can afford to go to university. That discussion also included that C students in high school couldn't possibly handle higher education. It's all bull...everyone is different. Some do better in university and college than high school, some do worse. I have worked in higher education and believe me, education does not equal intelligence.

But, I don't want to take sides. I haven't looked at either hub and I don't intend to.

I hate threads like this that pretend to be general but are due to hurt feelings.

You feel attacked? Flag the hub and move on.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)