Why someone of us behave like as if they understand everything

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (74 posts)
  1. andromida profile image56
    andromidaposted 14 years ago

Its true that there are many people in our society and now-a-days you will find even in online forums where they pretend to be knowing everything and keep discussing and behaving as if they know all and the rest of the world is full of unwise people.In your opinion what are the reasons behind someone's pretending as
    omniscient.

1. raiderfan profile image58
      raiderfanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

they really are

2. Haunty profile image74
      Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Some people just like to give advise. That's not necessarily because they think they know everything. They probably don't see much outside of their own world.

1. lxxy profile image59
        lxxyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's a very good way of speaking about it. Those who are doing what they are doing, have the best of intentions.

1. Lotus4Peace profile image57
          Lotus4Peaceposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes--nicely said, and perhaps because of the insight they have into "their world" there is a desire and joy to share that with others. The intent is honorable. However, that does not mean that they don't have the ability to "see much outside" the scope of their world. I think anyone devoted to the humanities, arts, and sciences--the world of knowledge--can attest to a deep desire to teach, write, create, and share their perceptions with others. Why else are we in the world of HUB?

andromidaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well said and I think all have the right to share their experience-thats the key behind our emotional growth.At the same  time  every other things in this univesrse have a threshold value -why should it not be applicable in case of our expressing thoughts.

3. profile image0
      dennisemattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I dont know....

4. profile image49
      badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I see it in the world but I have to say I don't see it on here. I personally knew nothing when I joined this site but have learnt a lot from people who do actually know their stuff. I don't think they think they know all, I just think they are good enough to pass on their knowledge. My view anyway !

5. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not wnating to sound like a no-it-all or anything, but you misspelled Andromeda tongue

6. babedoll50 profile image58
      babedoll50posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Many times people are just giving opinions on what they think.  Of course they arent always right.  The people who do think they are right all the time definately can be very annoying.

1. AEvans profile image72
        AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well that I can agree with you on. smile

7. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But - maybe - some of us do know everything. Have you considered that? big_smile

Yes,maybe you are right and that comes through ages.Since we live in a universe of infinite possibilities and only a fraction of that   only known to us.So, nothing should be out of our consideration.I see you also used the word maybe..lol.

2. lxxy profile image59
    lxxyposted 14 years ago

As soon as you feel you've mastered the point, it's become lost on you.

3. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

I know a lot about a few things, science, health, sexual health, biology and a few other things. I don't pretend to know everything, that would be impossible! But I do know a lot. Any other subjects and probably won't even try smile

I think that people have experience/education in certain fields. But people who pretend to know about something that they clearly don't (or are just flat out wrong!) are really annoying smile

1. Haunty profile image74
      Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's annoying alright! But in some cases it can be cute. I have a friend who keeps on advising me on every problem I got. In most cases she's flat out wrong, and is ready to argue about it. But that's not her mistake. Clearly, it's pretty easy to interpret things from one's own perspective. smile

I know that you're probably talking about your boss who is clearly an idiot. smile

4. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Well thank god i'm not one of 'em. I know nothing smile

Me too.

5. Teresa McGurk profile image59
    Teresa McGurkposted 14 years ago

Well, luckily (for me) I DO know everything.

I'm just keeping it to myself, is all.

1. profile image49

All women do Teresa smile

2. Cris A profile image59
      Cris Aposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know everything, too. It's just that nobody ever asks me anything! LOL cool

6. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I know a few things in a few areas and will help those that ask otherwise, I don't say anything tongue cept may flirt big_smile hehe

1. profile image49

I can vouch that the Dame deff does know a few things smile

7. countrywomen profile image59
    countrywomenposted 14 years ago

It is good to know but then would simply knowing help even the individual himself/herself until and unless that person shares in a non confrontational manner. Unsolicited advice and opinions especially in personal realm are seldom appreciated. Btw recently I saw the movie Bucket List and in that movie it shows that sometimes more than knowing, acting out our dreams is more important to be happy in life. smile

8. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Knowing it all I would advise against taking movies for face value, they rarely resemble real life tongue

9. Dame Scribe profile image58

lol BC99 and Misha, too cute, smile jus luvz you 2 around

10. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Hugs back at you Dame smile

11. countrywomen profile image59

Of course I do distinguish reel life from real life. I was just trying to share the message I got from the movie. Maybe I sounded a little childish with that mention. Ok, Misha I would try to grow up. smile

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Never mind CW-girl, I was just kidding around, and you made yourself an easy target smile

1. profile image49

Where have you been, was thinking the other night I haven't seen my buddy Misha about.

1. Misha profile image63

I've been moving to another house, so did not have Internet for a while, and overall is still quite busy, so post here sporadically smile

1. profile image49

Tis good to have you back !

12. Dame Scribe profile image58

Hey CW, Misha jus likes ticklin us wink lol

13. countrywomen profile image59

DS/Misha- I know Misha likes to do that tongue Maybe I did sound like I believe in imaginary stuff like movies and all. Point noted and would be more careful. Hope you guys have a great weekend. smile

1. profile image49

You have a good one too my friend !

1. countrywomen profile image59
        countrywomenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Pirate.

PS: Can you please tell your crew in Somalian coast to layoff for a while. wink

1. profile image49

Consider it done, sleep well smile

Thanks and hopefully I won't be woken up with another disturbing news anytime soon. smile

14. Dame Scribe profile image58

Hope you have a great weekend too, CW smile is fun gettin tickled from afar huh wink lol

Oh yes I love his sense of humor and he does know how to get the party going. I have seen him stir quite a few interesting discussions. We are planning to have a picnic tomorrow afternoon and have to do some cooking. Sometimes life isn't fair even on weekends when you want to relax at home then plans come up which you can't refuse. Anyway hopefully it would be fun in the sun. smile

15. Dame Scribe profile image58

If I could, I would come right over and help you, CW smile and yap a storm about Misha and BC99 wink hehe

Thanks for the offer of help(it is potluck luckily hence not so much trouble but still got to do my share). I am sure it would be quite a party if Misha and our Pirate happen to be there. smile

2. profile image49

Hey don't be fooled me and Misha are best buddies and we mail each other daily, don't be fooled by his rippling muscles hes a really sensitive guy, like me naturally ; )

3. Aya_Hajime profile image60
      Aya_Hajimeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This sounds like fun - can I join in too? tongue

Better yet, we can invite them both to come over and dance for us wink

1. Dame Scribe profile image58
        Dame Scribeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like male dancers too, wink shhh, lol

2. Misha profile image63

For you sweet Aya-chan - anything wink I am just afraid it might look like this: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid … 8005648430

1. Aya_Hajime profile image60
          Aya_Hajimeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is hilarious Misha! Now you really must come over and wash my car. BadCo too and anybody else who is proud of their natural beauty! I'll even order in sushi wink

16. Dame Scribe profile image58

Whatever do you mean, mon cher capitain big_smile we would discuss clothing and dame talk wink

1. profile image49

Get real jeez does the Captain look like hes into womens clothes, hmm ok maybe on a Sat night but my fetish is my business ; )

17. Dame Scribe profile image58

I have no idea what you refer cher capitain big_smile really, we would jus discuss dame talk and steer clear of fetishes tongue lol

1. profile image49

Lol the Captain tis outranked by a Dame smile

18. cindyvine profile image68
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

You can understand something even if you know nothing.

Cindy- Your words truly have a lot of wisdom in it. I love this quote by Socrates "True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing."

19. Aya_Hajime profile image60
    Aya_Hajimeposted 14 years ago

I think it is good that the community here is always willing to express their opinion and share their knowledge.

If you keep an open mind, you can end up knowing a lot smile

yeah,I also think keeping an open mind is the key in learning and in developing our reasoning power.

20. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

For some of us we have knowledge based on experience and life long lessons, so many do not pretend they just simply know how to respond. smile

21. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

I have teenagers.  They know everything, just ask them.

oh yes,teenagers sometimes behave like they know everything.Don't
      you find that simply irritating.what can we do to rectify this type of attitude of teenagers?

1. Lisa HW profile image62
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They just need to figure it out on their own, the way everyone else has had to.  It's all part of maturing and gradually getting to a point where we do understand quite a bit more than we did when we were younger.    smile

Thanks for great opinion.

22. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

People act in this fashion because of insecurity, frankly. Some can never be wrong, ultimately--and persecute others from this perspective.  Perhaps that's where totalitarianism may begin (?)

That isn't to say if one knows something or understands something that they shouldn't offer and contribute what they know--nothing is gained by acting dumb (and many women I think, of a certain kind, I can say--excellent students, high achievers, sometimes better at whatever than many of the guys around them--at times think it might be an easier way.)  It's not!

I guess you opened a can of worms there, Lita. Believe me in some cultures men still want to have women to have equal or lesser intelligence(at least openly appearing to be so). Besides even at work place a woman who is very pushy or aggressive seems to gel lesser with other woman too. I guess sometimes one has to fit into the expectations too. smile

1. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm.  CW.  I find the opposite to be true.  Some of the WORST bosses I have ever had were pushy and aggressive women, or worse--passive aggressive women.  I think I know what it is about--or at least have an opinion (!lol). 

Ultimately--it's about hierarchical structure.  Those women in their 50's, etc. who are now CEO's and managers had to face all that you are talking about here.  The traditional woman's role. The one's who made it through necessarily might have been the real, excuse me, b*tches, in to power and the whole 9 yards.  Think of Demi Moore's role in "Disclosure."  They thought they had to act like cutthroat men (?)

Yeah, and then there is the socially 'nice, nice' woman--and she may gel better and be accepted (I guess), but that isn't exactly effective or actually honest, either, if that isn't who you are.

There is a way, I think, of just being yourself and being natural--if society and the corporate world will allow it (and sometimes it seems they don't).  I do notice this with all the women I work with--that there seem to be factions...  Support staff types are a lot 'nice,' and let's talk recipes and hair, and "oh, let me make those copies for you."  Silly stuff.  Managerial women types handing down those ridiculous from-God-on-high-edicts, like, "thou shalt not wear open toe shoes except every other Tuesday," in a most dictatorial fashion (which most laugh at behind their backs, too)....  Sigh.

And as far as M/F relationships, and as far as America, it would be excruciating for me (and at times has been) if a guy is not on the same par intelligence-wise...  However, hopefully, it is easier to be honest in these relationships (one would hope!).

I guess you did open up a can of worms, CW! smile

23. profile image50
    graphhikerposted 14 years ago

I thought I knew it all. But when I had my kids, the first real lesson I had to learn was how the body produced different shades of poo!

Now, I'm a mother, I was told by my older sister's that I will know nothing until they leave home.
    smile

Cheers!

24. profile image0
    A.M. Gwynnposted 14 years ago

YES!! Oh Yes..
    I just not more than 10 minutes ago felt like pulling my hair out due to this very thing.

What to do... Hmmm ( I mean legally)...

Thank you.Then you can visit my hub regarding this topic.
      http://hubpages.com/hub/behavinglikeallknwoing

2. Lotus4Peace profile image57
      Lotus4Peaceposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hope I wasn't the cause of this 8 hours ago with my posting...Hmm, what to do? What did you do? A.---You know I love you and your fiesty spirit smile Glad you didn't shoot the messenger!

25. Pete Maida profile image60
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

I do think the original statement is true.  I don't think you can find that many people who think they know everything.  We all have opinions and we have an opinion on every subject.  That doesn't mean we believe we are the ultimate authority on any subject.  Sometimes we speak from knowledge and experience, sometimes we speak from gut feeling or tradition for where we live, sometimes we just want to be a funny.

26. soni2006 profile image78
    soni2006posted 14 years ago

I think no one in this world knows everything. If someone knows everything, then the person is not a human being and might be th Almighty.

27. Dame Scribe profile image58

I lovvvvve sushi smile

28. marisuewrites profile image57
    marisuewritesposted 14 years ago

What my teenagers didn't know, my dog did.  And the cat knew more than everybody combined, but she wasn't telling smile

Thats funny.

29. profile image0
    urimiddenposted 14 years ago

I will agree it is a bit difficult being right all of the time. It is not so bad knowing everything though. I just have to learn how to tolerate all of the rest of the people in the world who are so jealous of me...

I agree with you.I think tolerance has a great role in learning process and in adopting a new concept.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)