Why are Americans and Canadians still buying Japanese and Korean cars?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (37 posts)
  1. profile image52
    andredownes68posted 13 years ago

People still don't realize that they won't ever be free of the shackles of Free Trade that
    is still lurking around the corner.The recent Financial meltdown that we experienced and Stock market crash,Government bailouts and loans,etc,and so on..The same people are still buying the same products that bring down the economy for lack of better Judgement and JUST PLAIN OLD STUPIDITY.The cars & other vehicles,electronics etc,
    were manufactured by Countries that we fought World wars against.We were bombed
    at Pearl Harbor and one of the aircraft carriers ,the U.S.S Downes  sank along with a lot others.That aircraft carrier was named after John Downes, whom was the Commander
    -in-Chief of the the U.S. Navy during the Civil war,The American Revolution,The war of 1812 and the 9 year Indian wars in Colonial history,lastly,The Boer War in Africa.
    The American and Canadians that died in all these wars didn' t die so you can say
    (well,I have freedom of choice)wake up and start taking care of your own ,or we'll all be back to the Great Recession 2008-10.

1. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh my! You just demonstrated it. Coupled with utter ignorance lol

2. Jim Hunter profile image60
      Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have owned many Japanese and American vehicles, the Japanese build a much better product.

1. profile image51
        speedygposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. Shanna11 profile image76
          Shanna11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You revived a dead thread just to be profane and childish? Classy.

3. profile image0
      Always Greenerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Goodness Lord, that was quite a rant! 

Having said that, I'd say it's because Japanese and Korean cars are cheaper in cost (ownership and initial purchase price).

4. profile image49
      raaj22posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Japanese and Korean cars are good in terms of quality and gives a good value for money

1. leeberttea profile image56
        leebertteaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I own a Toyota because it's a superior product that I can buy more cheaply than a so called "American" car. It also has a better resale values, and by the way is built in America by Americans!

Many American cars may be assembled in America but 80% of their parts come from foreign sources.

At one time America made the best products for the least costs but government regulations, taxes and unions have conspired to eliminate America's leadership in industry. If you want Americans to take care of their own start electing a government that will put America first.

1. agvulpes profile image86
          agvulpesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well mate I think that is exactly what these people fought for "Freedom of Choice" !
          Free to choose a reasonably priced smaller car that suits their purposes.
          If the local manufacturers listened to the end user and made cars of the same size instead of 'telling' the consumer what he wants they would be more successful.
            Btw looking at your name you seem to have an axe to grind ?

2. goldenpath profile image67
          goldenpathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

One little problem.  I have a job and I want to reach my job.  Therefore to avoid a Fix Or Repair Daily vehicle I should stay away from FORD.  I love Nissan though many of the foreign owned vehicles sold here are actually assembled right here.  In a way they are American.

3. The Belly Burner profile image57
          The Belly Burnerposted 13 years ago

There is a point in this. If you take Britain for example, we've never really invested in our own cars and after producing all manner of cars (Land Rover, Lotus, TVR, Jaguar etc.) we now own none of these companies! I don't know the specifics as to why this should be, but if you take a look around any British street, you'll probably find about ten different car manufacturers - all of which aren't British.

France and Japan are renowned for buying their own country's cars and their manufacturers continue to prosper.

Just a thought.

4. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
          Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

If my history lessons serve me right..... I don't recall any Americans serving in either of the two Boer wars. I do recall large volunteer numbers from Canada, New Zealand and Australia though.

On further investigation, there were, a whole 300 American volunteers fighting for the British against the Boers. This out of a population of 76 million at the time of 1899. hmmmmmmm

Oh and to top it off, Australia was the only 1st world economy to actually still have positive growth during the GFC, and ONLY by the slimmest of margins. So there was no official recession in Australia.

5. Peter Hoggan profile image69
          Peter Hogganposted 13 years ago

andredownes68, go pedal your xenophobia elsewhere.

1. profile image0
            Always Greenerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Here here!

6. I am DB Cooper profile image64
          I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

Was this post serious? So we're never supposed to do any trade with any country we've been at war with? That means no trade with the French, British, Germans, Italians, Japanese, Koreans, Vietnamese and several others. I don't think you'll find too many economists who will agree with your view that international trade is bad for our economy, and you won't find many political scientists who will agree with your view that former enemies should remain our enemies forever.

1. alternate poet profile image67
            alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hear hear - and if the number of 'enemies' continue to increase at the current rate there will be nobody left to trade with at all big_smile

7. profile image50
          amitrustagiposted 13 years ago

japanese car are more reliable,efficient& good value for money.infact its a overall a good package to buy in terms looks &technology

1. profile image49
            godblessamericaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When your timing chain or belt goes and the whole engine is wrecked which americans desinged better you will say different

1. profile image51
              speedygposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. Shanna11 profile image76
                Shanna11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

-shaking my head-

Oy vey....

2. Kyle246 profile image60
            Kyle246posted 13 years ago

I really don't know why anyone would buy other than American. American cars are now rated better than Asian/European cars. It is just that most people are blind to the fact that buying American will help American jobs. Some might say that their Toyota or Honda is built in America. But most of the parts (more than an American car) is from other countries. Also all the profit will go out of America.

1. Michael Willis profile image67
              Michael Willisposted 13 years ago

Plus don't forget the $$$$$$ of the product to go along with quality. Why would I buy an item "just because it says American Made" and pay twice as much for it?  Why support the Greed of any business, when they do not care about those who buy their products?

If any American Product is better made and at the same price of any Foreign product, I would prefer to buy the American made product. But, I will not be ripped off and listen to someone denounce me or anyone else for buying something that is not American Made until American Products are priced fairly and "Quality" is put in front of Business Bottom Line=$$$$$.

1. earnestshub profile image80
                earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Michael I tend to agree with this.
                America has been the world leader in building oversized gas guzzlers for too many years. They have appealed to the lowest  common denominators in their marketing which has used greed, envy and mine's bigger/better/faster than yours advertising without any consideration for morals or decency. 

As for the others, even BMW is manufactured in cheap labour countries as well as in Germany these days, American makers using their well know brands on what are now often Korean, Spanish or Japanese cars, very few of the Japanese cars are made in Japan anymore either.
                Jaguar belongs to Tata motors in India. (I gotta see a Tata made Jag! (Have you ever seen the cars they make in India?)

2. kerryg profile image83
              kerrygposted 13 years ago

If American companies want my business they can put their money and energy into creating a better product rather than spending millions lobbying for lower gas mileage and auto safety standards and shipping their CEOs around in corporate jets. (I don't necessarily have a problem with corporate jets for a successful CEO of a successful company, but when we're talking about CEOs who have run their companies into the ground through their own bad choices and then gone begging for government handouts, I draw the line. Heck, losers like that shouldn't even be riding first class - to coach with them!)

1. profile image57
                wallen7posted 13 years ago

Because they have been told for years that American cars did not have the quality that the Japenese cars had. That was true years ago, but not now. Every domestic car that I have been in has vastly improved in quality.

1. agvulpes profile image86
                  agvulpesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not talking about quality!  I am talking about what the consumer wants from their vehicle.  Size, shape, economy etc.
                  It's only common sense.

2. Kyle246 profile image60
                Kyle246posted 13 years ago

Many people say that they won't buy american until they come out with a good car for them to buy. Well, most of those people say that, but they won't even consider an American car when shopping for one. There are many great cars, Ford Fusion, Ford Taurus, Chevy Traverse, and the list goes on.

3. profile image0
                Car Donationsposted 13 years ago

Well, my family always owned Dodges until 2003. Then the Mazda 6 came out. My entire family of four drives Mazda. 2 Mazda 6's, one miata, one Mazda truck and one Mazda 3. None of us have had to touch the car. The mileage ranges from 30,000 mile to 75,000. My parents Dodge shadow didn't make it past 65,000 miles when it was given to a junkyard. I would love to buy a GM or Chrysler, but they are not releasing any cars that are worth my while. Ford is the only American make I would consider! The Fusion is a great car. Once again, based off the Mazda 6. GM and Chrysler is in big trouble! GM better do better than the Cruze.

4. profile image0
                klarawieckposted 13 years ago

because they don't break down in the middle of the expressway?

5. Gareth Cole profile image58
                Gareth Coleposted 13 years ago

I have to say, Japanese cars are far superior in quality to American cars. I Can't really comment on Korean cars as I have never driven one. You make a good point about the economy though.

1. webguyonline profile image58
                  webguyonlineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i do agree with you. japanese cars are made up of high quality car parts. even here on my country we prefer to buy japanese and korean cars :-)

2. profile image49
                  godblessamericaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Really that not true, they all have flaws but are all the same it comes down to Supporting our country.'

3. ImChemist profile image59
                  ImChemistposted 13 years ago

I think japanese are the best always!

4. profile image49
                  dhjh811posted 13 years ago

I think Korean cars are better than japanese cars. Just because japanese cars are active, doesn't mean that they're better. I especially like the Equus.

5. Krazie_Kumquat profile image57
                  Krazie_Kumquatposted 13 years ago

My family has owned 4 cars from GM.  They were merely okay (not many breakdowns), but none of those stood out.  Last year was our first Honda Fit.  We bought it based on its roominess, yet small profile, and its frugality on fuel.  Of course, it had the hatchback functionality.

I think american cars used to be associated with gas guzzlers, lower quality, etc. but now, i believe they are better.  Now domestic manufacturers are starting to see that consumers want cars that are better at fuel, more practicality (north america are slower to adopt the hatchback design than the Japanese - a ford car dealership salesperson told me that).

Japanese have been more innovative with electric cars, plug-ins, etc.

I will be in the market for car next year (for myself this time) and i would like to consider the new ford focus 2011, hyundai elantra 2011.....but i fear that the focus will cost more for the same features than the elantra.

6. platinumOwl4 profile image73
                  platinumOwl4posted 13 years ago

People forget that politics are at the root of this problem. Oil companies want to sell more oil and related products. Have you ever noticed that whenever the price of oil goes up, so does every other product. A great deal of what goes into the manufacture of a vehicles is oil related.
                  There are reason for all of the American car problems.  Every American auto problem has an entire industry employing people.

7. s82a84 profile image60
                  s82a84posted 13 years ago

One simple reason, they are the most reliable cars compare to any american/europe cars. The End.

1. profile image49
                    godblessamericaposted 13 years ago

Yeah we were bombed by Japan while their president was signing a peace tready with us and we are letting them take us over, Our economy was over 60%  made up of the automobile industry, ever heard the saying When GM is doing good The economy is doing good. Their is no difference in quality and. And the Japs say they are made in America but they are asembled here and the pofit goes to Japan. Our American manufactures had to compete so they starded using the jap parts cause they are cheaper. We won't work for a dollar less cause we are greedy. Ask a kid in high school allmost all want to go to colledge and "make good money" now who will do your septic, or come get your garbage! Now thats your answer

1. knolyourself profile image60
                      knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

" Supporting our country." You support the syndicates that run America. Not me. Ever hear of 'built-in-obsolence'? One of Prescot Bushes ideas, when he was on the board of the American Manufacturers Association, and the reason people went
                      to Japanese cars.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
                      Necessary
                      HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
                      LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
                      Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
                      AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
                      HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
                      HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
                      Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
                      CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
                      Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
                      Features
                      Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
                      Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
                      Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
                      Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
                      Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
                      VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
                      PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
                      Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
                      MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
                      Marketing
                      Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                      Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                      Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                      SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                      Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                      Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                      AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                      OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                      Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                      TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                      Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
                      Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
                      Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
                      Statistics
                      Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
                      ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
                      Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
                      ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)