Income from writing

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)
  1. cherylvanhoorn profile image59
    cherylvanhoornposted 11 years ago

I am a communications student who has been madly trying to find ways to obtain an income from doing my chosen profession while I am studying. I have another friend who is a freelance writer and she is in the same position and has likened the process to looking for Jesus; you know he is out there but finding him is the bugger.
    What I have found is that proactivity is a definate. I have taken this to the extent of founding my own on line magazine. It is no where near the point of paying, we are just about to launch our third volume on the 04/07 and are about to register as a business. There is a whole lot of different systems we are about to launch to expand the magazine and readership as well as expand writer content and value.
    I have also come to the conclusion that one of the best ways to make money from this venture is to diversify as much as humanly possible. Find as many sites and contribute to as many as you can. Blogging I feel has become quiet over done and people have one on every virtual corner. It has become more and more difficult to gain readership as there is so much out there. That is what I like about hubs; there is the readerships there but it is all self contained within one spot. You don't have to chase after everything.
    I love writing and I want to be as successful as possible from it and that includes making money. One of the things to bear in mind also your targeted audience and that will change from piece to piece. The money is out there it is just a matter of getting things to a point where you hit a critical mass of work.

1. IronicHubris profile image60
      IronicHubrisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for posting this.

As a recent graduate from college, wherein my major was English, I have yet to find anything that is even remotely close to the degree I spent so much time (and money) in pursuit of. Your friend was right: it is a little like looking for Jesus.

The current economy is not really interested in people who write well--never mind that a lot of currently employed writers seem to have forgotten what it means to be grammatically correct (a soapbox for another time)--and that leaves people like us, who love to write, without a job and a viable source of income.

It is good to see that there are others who struggle, and it is good to see that you have evidently found a way to fix your problem.

Good luck with your magazine!

PS - This website is, indeed, heaven sent.

cherylvanhoornposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We always welcome new contributors. Can't pay at  the moment but hope too at some point. The magazine is orientated to students and writers and is designed to be a platform for writers. If your interested you can contact me at cheezel1984@live.com.au. The magazine is called Tweaking Madd (because let's face it most writers are a little touched) and we welcome submissions. You can find us published at ISSUU under Tweaking Madd Vol 1&2 and there is a facebook page for it as well. Hope to hear from you.

2. mskills profile image81
    mskillsposted 11 years ago

Have you considered participating in what I consider the Dirty Jobs equivalent of the writing market: Ghostwriting? 

Companies such as TextBroker, Demand Studios, and Constant Content pay a steady, better-than-minimum wage if you're willing to shelve your creative impulses.  A rather large bonus is that you generally can work from home to the tune of your own schedule.  Most of these services allow you to choose your clients as well.

Sure, I'm quite positive it would cost me the sanity of my wife, kids, goldfish, and loyal fans (not to mention copious consumption of foul liquids and other unsavory foodstuffs).  But then again, my finances aren't dangling off the edge of Mt. Everest on the account of my lackadaisical writing efforts (my specialization in college favored the financial sector).

Thank you for that, I will check it out.

3. Daughter Of Maat profile image93
    Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years ago

I think there is still money that can be made in blogging, but bloggin is quickly becoming a saturated market. Maybe I'm just being hopeful since I have three blogs going. Hubpages is a great way to make money, but it takes a long time.

Best of luck on your magazine. I'm sure if you need content writers, you could find quite a few here or on Linkedin that are willing to help you out. smile

I agree. I looked at Blogging and I have some friends who are having some success with it but I do believe that it is becoming saturated. I like the hubpages as it is like an enclosed community and you don't have to chase around after everything; it is all there for you.

4. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Are you asking about how to make money from writing, or how to promote a magazine? If the latter, you could start by tell us what magazine this is?

The magazine is aimed at students and writers as a platform for publishing and for my fellow communication students to utilize the skills they are learning.
      I am shamelessly after money. The great golden god. It will get there, it will just take time.

5. montecristo profile image75
    montecristoposted 11 years ago

Thanks for your words of wisdom. I needed that for encouragement.

6. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

A magazine is not an efficient way to make money out of writing, and making money from a magazine that does not pay the writers is a questionable set up IMHO.

7. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 11 years ago

One of the most important thing about making money in the online space is understanding self-promotion. 

If you don't know how to market yourself or your business, you'll never get anywhere.  That's true out in the real world, but even more so online.  You would do well to research that area thoroughly.

You are allowed to place as many links as you like on your profile.  I suggest you add a link to your new magazine and any other sites where you write.

8. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 11 years ago

It is probably true that about one person in a thousand fancies themselves as a Public Speaker and about five percent of these become professionally paid - and generally as trainers of public speaking.   And of this five percent around five percent of these again (in Austalia with its 22 million people, around a dozen probably earn a good liveliyhood as professional speakers) make it.

What has this to do with writers?

Well, probably one in twenty people (maybe even 1 in 10) feel they are or can become professional writers.   About 5 percent, i.e. one in twenty. That means there is an awful lot of competition (about 150,000 would be writers in the US alone)   Once again, in Australia with it 22 million, there are probably no more than half-a-dozen who actually earn a full time living at Creative Writing, i.e. writing novels et cetera. 

I hate to sound pessimistic.  But with Amazon, billions of people writing, you would have to be exceptionally fortunate to 'take the world by storm' and actually make any real money. 

By all means find a niche market.  And good luck to you in your endeavours.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)