being your own person!

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. nomsa4 profile image61
    nomsa4posted 11 years ago

living a character that you`ll wish people remember you with, at times when we live our live as, we leave for people to tell us how were doing things and how we should leave, dress, walk, speak! i mean we spend most of our time pleasing people
    just take ur time to look at yourself in the mirror and as your self this is how you`ll want to be remembered as a person when your no longer, i know ive spend time letting people live my life and control me the way they wish, but i ve realized after on that this is not the live i wanna leave i just wish to enjoy and experience life for my self not for someone else, ever since i feel free from doing things to please others , i feel like new person who is led by God not people. i am my own person now thanks God

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image80
      schoolgirlforrealposted 11 years agoin reply to this

hI nomsa
      very good!
      it takes years to figure it out!! wink

2. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 11 years ago

Up until the last 2 sentences.... You projected that you had 'found' yourself as your own person.. which is something we each must do, to understand who we are as that person and how deep our independence and dependence on our self really is.
    Breaking free of the influences of others in regards to allowing them to 'control' or dictate to us, is a hard thing for many to do.. but as you rightfully pointed out... it is crucial to relinquish such ties, to enable us to know our self intimately.

What you have neglected to include in your post is that Everything that influences us as an individual is based upon a Choice made.  So often people tend to overlook that very relevant point - for if they do accept it factually, then it means that ultimately the responsibility for the actions falls upon that person making the choice - You!  What that means is that other reasons, excuses and justifications are in fact irrelevant! 

What I mean in regard to your stated circumstances is - that you made choices and got what may have been a predictable result - so you made new choices and changed the outcome, based on what could be described also as a potentially predictable result.  The greatest thing we have as people is our ability to make and remake our choices.... for ultimately our choices effect Everything that we do and what our potential outcomes are likely to be. 

Choice... the moment you make a choice for yourself that removes any other external influence... you learn and you are on the path to being 'You' - your own person.

Credit for that falls upon YOU - not God.  You merely chose to include God's influence on YOU! - By Choice! smile

Now you are faced with choosing all the other steps that you will need to make in your life. smile

I hope you think about what I have said here before you dismiss My Choice of words!

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image80
      schoolgirlforrealposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nice work here
      teach me more
      good stuff said
      better than therapy
      LOl Lol LOL

1. Pearldiver profile image66
        Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks... I just say it as it is... without candy coating reality..

Teach you more? 
        - I don't know if that's a good role for me in life...
        but this 'stuff' is what I write about here and maybe that's why I need therapy big_smile

2. Thelma Alberts profile image90
      Thelma Albertsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Very well said Pearldiver. I´m with you on this matter. Being your own person, you have to think what YOU want and what YOU need in your life without be influence by others.

3. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 11 years ago

When a person gets to the point of realizing that they are living for themselves and not doing what other want, is the time you are being your own person. That's probably the most difficult accomplishment.
    Society and family puts constraints and demands that form who we are and how we behave..many don't know this is happening for most of their life.
    So being your own person takes a lifetime to learn and maybe never.

4. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 11 years ago

The answers given about our choices resulting in what occurs in our lives is, of course, quite correct.  However, sometimes - and in the majority of instances, probably - people react rather than choose.  The reactions you could say come from our initial choices, choices which could have been forced on us because we were sort of 'between and rock and a hard place' or given a soft often of not suffering by going along with the wishes of an authortive figure such as a parent or teacher.  And so we made a choice and then another along the same lines and, 'voila!'  before we knew it, we were always reacting to that situation in that way.

So one needs to be very aware of what one is doing.  The question of 'am I reacting,' or 'am I choosing anew' needs to be at the forefront of our minds far more than it usually is.

I generalize here, because some reactions (such as hitting the brake pedal in your car) are not bad choices.  But, by and large, I would say that when we react, we are not being our own person, and when we act, we are.    So choose.  But be aware that you are choosing.  In that way your life should pan out more readily in the way you want it to.

5. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 11 years ago

@TT  thanks for adding the 're-act' factor to what I had said... you are quite right... it is indeed how many choose to act and does highlight a lack of acceptance that we are ultimately in the vast majority of cases, responsible for the outcomes in our lives, based on choices made!

Thanks for endorsing the need for reality in our world smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)