Why are we no longer supposed to love our country?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (32 posts)
  1. JSChams profile image60
    JSChamsposted 11 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7097566_f248.jpg
    Over the past few weeks I have been involved in conversations here where I have been raked over the coals for being too nationalist. I understand this coming from some of the expatriate members here but from residents of the US????????
    Why have some of you fallen out of love with this great nation and what would it take, besides the reelection of Barack Obama to reignite the flame?

1. rhamson profile image72
      rhamsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The funny thing is that we have had a falling out of reason with the way we are to conduct any criticism of the way our country conducts itself. Are we to overlook the faults to the point of ignorance or should we just take it as the new way of doing business when the country screws the pooch? It is like for the longest time if you protested the wars you were not being patriotic and not supporting the troops. Where did this disconnect come from? The bravada and political correctness that if we protested the wars it would affect the morale of the troops serving. So were we to allow the senseless killing of Americans go on in a civil war in a foreign land because it hurt somebodies feelings. Many of the troops I have talked to who have returned respected and felt they defended my right to protest the wars as a patriotic exercise and were not offended by this practice.

JSChamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think what I am seeing that bothers me is an attitude that I have such and such viewpoint and should be allowed to demonstrate but your viewpoint is different and disagreement will not be tolerated.

2. profile image0
      Justsilvieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Think about it! We were raised to to know it is smart never to discuss religion or politics at a gathering of people. The internet has shown us why. I think since we can't see faces or body language it is hard to see where others are coming from. I am not sure about you but I have friends and family on both sides of the political line, in real life we can fight it out and hug each other later. (even though my sister was sort of mad at me for a year for saying if she like Sarah so much she should go visit her in Alaska and view Russia from her porch).

I think to hang in to these type of discussions you need to have some thick skin and wear some heavy duty overalls too.

But I think the bottom line is most Americans love this country, even if they have different views on the direction it should go... Me I am pretty liberal but I am a truly a centrist and know the solution is somewhere in the middle and those on politics need to do some compromising and their damn jobs.

The picture was cute saw no problem whatsoever with it.

1. Eugene Hardy profile image61
        Eugene Hardyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Have no problem with the picture, except that it focuses on the past.

It is not past that is the problem, it is just that it is easy to loose sight of what we must do in our present and where we go from here.

Right now our corporations are selling us out, and we have little direction as to how we shape our future economically for ALL our citizenry. 

Until we do, more jobs will leave our shores, middle class and poor will either grow poorer, or more dependent on the very corporations that are selling us out.

What about the corporate government? It's not selling us out?
          Really?

2. JSChams profile image60

You aren't one of those folks who believes one party is utterly good and the other utterly evil are you?

Nope.

I only know there is two much partisanship and not enough work getting done to steer our country away from the waterfall we are heading for.

We need reforms, and probably better parties that will get the work done.

3. Eugene Hardy profile image61

The way I see it, nationalism appears irrelevant or old fashioned by some folks.

For some, they may feel that the American Dream has become an illusion or unreachable, and that they feel cheated.

I think Obama would be better for the country vs. Romney because:

1. The Republican Party is not diverse or economically wise enough, they will side with corporations and fundamentalists.

2. I can not trust a political party that uses divisive tactics in order to build it's voter base.  Their tactics have polarized this country enough to ignite talk of succession and civil war.

3. They are no longer the Republicans of old, (think Eisenhower), but have sold their collective souls to the highest bidder.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are some Democrats that have sold out on their principles, but at least they are more incline to support the people versus Republicans.

Honestly, we in the US will have to get on with campaign reforms and get rid of the lobbyists, and support each candidate based on ideas, by eliminating the way we finance campaigns by having the government foot the bill with equal air time and media exposure.

Or third parties.

But no one should forget were they come from, or lose their patriotism.

Well I guess I am just too old to accept facing a party that has no imperfections like the Democrats.
        Or is it the "lesser of two evils"?

It IS the lesser of two evils.

It is like trying to pick a plumber.

One plumber charge you an arm a leg to fix your plumbing, (except they don't really it, so they can continue to charge you for "fixing it", (Republicans).

Then there is the plumber that will fix more of the problem, but no you need a subsidy to maintain repairs, (Democrats).

But truth is we need neither of these plumbers, but one that will truly do the job, without forcing us to pay  that arm and a leg in cost, (a third party, a reform movement, or learning how to fix our own plumbing).

In Congress in perpetual stalemate will not more us forward, while the rest of the world advances.

No we don't need a third party. We need to allow the people to work it out by becoming Senators and Congressmen. That's where the real change will come about.
            Right now that place is populated by Doctors and Lawyers who enjoy the status quo. That's why they hate the Tea Party.

And, after the election is over, will we have more progress in Congress?

I understand where you are coming from, but I do not have that much confidence.

That's because the true battle is there. Anyone who is President exists only to sign bills.
                You want progress. Tell Harry Reid to unlock the door and stop the gridlock.

2. Eugene Hardy profile image61

The Tea Party?

I do not know....

If they were more inclusive on values and ethnic diversity, maybe.
              But then they threw in their lot with the GOP, which I think is a bad idea.

And if the Tea Party became a 'third party'?

A good political party, must be diverse and reflective of our population.

Not a third party. The Tea Party went along the lines of the Republican party only as far as to try and get the attention of Conservatives. There are Democrats who claim Tea Party.

4. Credence2 profile image77
      Credence2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

yes, love your country patriotism is grand just don't let it descend into jingoism.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

I love my country too but I don't stick a flag in everyone's face or say my country is better than anyone else's.  And I do criticize if we do something I think is wrong. Not saying that is what you do.

I criticize as well. I am given the impression i am only supposed to see the negative. Only supposed to view evil and be ashamed for it.

One of the good things about our system is that have the right to be critical, to point out wrongs, and express how we should correct those wrongs.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

You are supposed to love your country, but not be blind to its faults (which leads to tyranny), and not hate other countries (which leads to war).

4. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

I can't think of a single hubber who would describe him or herself as having fallen out of love with America.
    There's a huge difference between national pride and jingoism.

5. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

BTW, is your view of what's great about America a little white boy with a gun and a dog?
    Others may look different but be just as American:
    smile
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3305/3668688308_a8801234c8.jpg

http://a57.foxnews.com/global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/fn-latino/politics/660/371/little%2520girl%2520us%2520flag.JPG

I agree . I just thought it was a cute and nostalgic picture.
      Others see it as Jingoistic.

2. JSChams profile image60

Here's a really good example of my point.
      What was wrong with what I posted as a picture?
      Well apparently I didn't make it diverse enough.......even though I have no problem with the other examples given.
      What I did was post a picture that folks just so very heart achingly desperately want to disconnect this country from.

Why?

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
        Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm just being a smarta$$, here, JS.
        Nothing wrong with your picture at all.
        I know you didn't mean it as "the" representation of America.
        It's quaint and adorable and all the rest of it.
        For the record,
        I love 4th of July parades as much as my fellow Americans!

Don't misunderstand....I am not saying that you were.
          I am just trying to understand the mindset of some. Not all and obviously no one here at this time but they are out here on HP.

2. Repairguy47 profile image60
        Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why? Progressive secularism, started with the ACLU founder and has become a disease that strikes those that hate to think but love to be told what to think. Its easier that way.

3. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I like this picture.   This symbolizes the future of America.  Beautiful, we come in all colors and all persuasions.  Even though we are Americans, we are still part of the globe.  All are ONE!

6. Temchan profile image59
    Temchanposted 11 years ago

I think this current phenomena is being caused by none other than the dazzling country of Japan. I mean,this would be the only reasonable reason. It's understandable why me and so many other japanophiles are saddened when we are apart from a land that we probably spent at least 10 of our past lives in. I just was able to go their for the first time this summer. It was amazing. The only thing that didn't surprise me was how much better everything is over there than in this wonderful yet not as great place. Especially the food. I love that place so much, my soul felt so saddened when I returned here.

7. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

I have never been love with the nation. But I have always been in love with the land. Maybe that is because when little, I was always an Indian while all the other kids were Cowboys.

8. maxoxam41 profile image63
    maxoxam41posted 11 years ago

Domestic and foreign policies are good reasons for an American not to love the nation. Can we be proud of our economic, military results? I love the land as knolyourself said it rightly but private interests are destroying our country. It is not the land of freedom, it is the land of autocracy, dictatorship! In what way does it represent me?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)