Obama hugger boycotted

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (65 posts)
  1. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 11 years ago

The Florida pizzeria owner who hugged Obama is being boycotted - rather, his restaurant is being boycotted. Whatcha think? I think it's sad and silly. He has every right to support the candidate of his choice. This guy does lots of good work with his foundation, too. He should be supported - not boycotted. If the pizza man were killing puppies, I could understand the boycott...but just because he supports the POTUS? And yes, I thought the Chic-fil-a boycott was dumb, too. What has happened to the USA??

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I admire your strong sense of fairness, Habee.

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I try, Ralph. lol. If I were a business owner, I wouldn't want to be boycotted because I support Romney. And you know what? Heck, I might hug Obama, too! Can't you like and respect someone without agreeing with his/her politics? I hug my BFF sometimes, and she's a liberal, a Democrat, and even worse...a yankee!! lol

1. profile image0
          JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Now that's just going too far!

1. habee profile image93

lol

It saddens me to say that there are some southerners here who see my yankee pals as, shall we say, "different." This couple wasn't exactly welcomed with open arms. I'm extremely proud to be a southerner, but the Civil War (Wawah of Nawthun Aggreshun, lol) was over a long time ago. I just don't get it. When I use the term "yankee," I do so in jest, but some actually mean it as a slur.

1. profile image0

My wife is from Texas... I understand how some feel about Yanks...

I never did think that someone from Washington or Idaho or Utah or Arizona was a 'Yank' though, until I found out that the world is split into 'southern' and 'yanks' when you are in the south.

1. habee profile image93

Too true. My hubby is from NC and is very "southern," yet some in South GA have called him a "yankee." Geography and history lesson, anyone?? The popular saying here is not to trust anyone who's from north of Macon, GA or south of Gainesville, FL. lol

2. profile image0
          Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

You're great, habee, and I love you!  I think both boycotts were/are dumb, dumb, dumb.  My hubby is far more conservative than I am, and we still get along.  Usually.  HA!

1. habee profile image93

Same here with the VERY conservative hubby. We debate sometimes, but we mostly respect each other's views.

1. profile image0

Yup.  We debate until his face starts turning red.  wink  Then we just agree that I'm right and move on.  HAHA!

Honestly, we always agree on the BIG things.  It's the little stuff that usually gets in the way.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65

Except for the trolls among us who make extreme and erroneous comments and never admit they are wrong.

2. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Habee, are we now back in junior high school when if a child decides to befriend someone that other children do not like, there is either namecalling, other forms of belittlement, or forms of ostracization including the silent treatment and exclusion?    Welcome, to MEAN PEOPLE'S CLUB!    The pizzeria owner has a right to support President Obama if he wishes to do so!

3. innersmiff profile image67
      innersmiffposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Obama has killed children. It certainly puts me off when people I associate with support tyrants.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65

"Obama has killed children. It certainly puts me off when people I associate with support tyrants."

That's one of the dumbest and most outrageous comments I've seen in these forums.

1. innersmiff profile image67

The children killed by drone strikes in Libya and other places have been recorded by many reputable publications. Worth a boycott, no?

1. psycheskinner profile image84
            psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

On that basis every war time president is a tyrant.

1. innersmiff profile image67

I wouldn't have a problem with that statement.

2. Reality Bytes profile image75
              Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What about murders that happen in nations that we have no war with?

Libya
              Pakistan
              Yemen
              Somalia

Is there any historic examples that can be cited that a United States president ordered the murder of human beings outside of a warzone?  Not a killing in which the president can claim plausible deniability, an outright presidential order of a hit on a human being?  One in which the president openly boasts of a killlist?

How about citing under which United states law the Potus even has the authority to engage in such actions?  It is illegal and the U.S, president is a confessed murderer!

1. 50 Caliber profile image59
                50 Caliberposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Aye! you nailed that question, although the CIA has a running hit list and has had for a looong time.
                The pretend potus is the first to brag about knowing it exists and to take personal credit for it being "his very own idea" seems I hubbed on this back when it was publicized that he announced a hit on an American Citizen, to kill him on sight. It got positive traction with his pals in the media.
                It was a first hit on an American Citizen, Anwar al-Aulaqi, who was born in New Mexico and took a flight to Yemen where his family lived. At the time of announcement there were no mention, like the ones that surfaced in the wake of the CIA drone attack,  that were amazing and called him the Bin Laden of the internet who had his hands on the 2001 9/11 event, that would be today only eleven hears later, my how time flys when the number one topic is killing each other! So it's:
                1. In on the 9/11 towers attack
                2. Fort Hood shooting spree
                3. The underwear bomber (I've been accused of this one after a big meal pickled eggs and a couple beers, Never killed any body but it smelled like it LMAO)
                Seriously, if he was all of that past being an IMAM, why was he not on the no fly list? That would have kept him here in the US for arrest and processed through the judicial system for his crimes if any could make it through the Grand Jury level?
                He was in a small convoy and instead of firing 3 drone strikes before actually hitting the target and killing all in the car, that included another American, both were riding along in a country we were not at war in, and with our technology and helicopters the car and the rest of the convoy could have been stopped and a gunfight then may have ensued and he might have been killed, or he and the other American may have been captured and brought back to the US to stand trial, affording them the basic right of a fair trial, the pesky "Due Process" clause that apparently doesn't exist for people that are being racially profiled. 14 days later the CIA again killed another American born Citizen of Denver Colorado an Under age boy, turns out was the Imam's son. Another first for a president, ordering the killing of and under aged minor.
                Leaves me wondering If there were information that the two, father and son, had that would damage the acting president who was/is a very good actor that has/had 56% of America fooled last election and may hold on to the 56 vs 44 percent held by him in 2008.
                It's hard to believe that we are here again, only weeks and days away from more change, if the guy gets re-elected to the office of set and watch Rome burn since I doubt congress to play the game with a president that just gets his schemes completed by going around congress using the  job he does do, that uses  the Secret Service during his midnight shift of sliding things toward his agenda and invites his helpers to  what I guess to be an implosion of America, leaving it to reset on hid radical Islamist regime. I don't get that part of it, if that is what they want why not go to country already 70 percent there and just finish it there?

2. Charles James profile image67
                Charles Jamesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Attempts to kill Fidel Castro.
                Assisting in coups all over the world, some of which led to deaths like Allende and Nkrumah.

1. Reality Bytes profile image75
                  Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There is not a quote from a U.S. president boasting of ordering Fidel asasinated.  Plausible deniability is a powerful tool for a leader of the free world.  Only an arrogant narcissist would make announcements concerning a killist and his orders to murder human beings!

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65

Okay. I thought you were referring to abortions. I don't like the drone strikes, either. However, Obama is hardly a "tyrant."

2. jantamaya profile image59
        jantamayaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Really? He did it? Wow! I didn't know it. I heard that he did many bad things, but this one makes it! Obama the Killer for president! Thank for the information, what I would do without you?!

You know, this is easy to say he is a "killer", but try to do his job better and than speak to me again. OK?

3. paintphd profile image60
        paintphdposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The United states could not be attacked from outside successfully, so it will be imploded from within by a Muslim of Kenyan blood linage and the majority of her citizens are too naive to see it unfolding. No one really expected him to do anything other than he's done, appologize to his Muslim brethren. SURELY you all knew this was exacted according to his punishment of the colonies (U.S.A.) HIS FATHER DREAMED OF...He wrote it for all to see, and he isn't ashamed. I suggest he really doesn't need four more years to destroy the U.S. He's already set enough irreversable idealogical systems into action to doom American society as we know it, Four more years will only enable him to set a couple more far left Supreme Court Justices on those seats coming open to retirement during his next term, and all he had ever hoped to accomplish will be done. I'd like to congratulate those liberals who has their slobbering love affair with this great destroyer, but there's nothing to congratulate them on...BECAUSE THEY TOO WILL BE SACRAFICED

4. American View profile image60
      American Viewposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was so happy when the chic-fil-a boycott backfired in the business received rounding support from the community. I had hoped that maybe that would be the last time we would hear such nonsense.

Now comes along this pizza man, I'm sure he's good hard working family man trying to live the American dream is a small business owner. And because he chose to show his support for Obama their boycotting his business, how ridiculous.

At what point have people forgotten that this is America, the right to be we want to be, the right to say what we want to say, on the right to support who we want to support. Otherwise, we'd all be nothing but a bunch of computer clones. Shame on those doing the boycotting

1. Billy Hicks profile image81
        Billy Hicksposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"At what point have people forgotten that this is America, the right to be we want to be, the right to say what we want to say, on the right to support who we want to support."

"Shame on those doing the boycotting"

Really? Did you even read that before you posted it?

2. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"the right to support who we want to support"

Isn't that the definition of boycotting? 

I condemn neither the people doing the boycotting nor the people reacting to it by ordering more pizza or donating to the foundation.  They are both exercising their right to voice their opinion with the way they spend their own money.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The guy will be on Anderson today.

The boycott is probably by people who condemned the boycott of Chick a fil as an assault on freedom of speech smile

1. Billy Hicks profile image81
        Billy Hicksposted 11 years agoin reply to this

All the Chick-fil-A boycott did was make me hungry for chicken... much like I am now craving pizza. Brb, gotta go call Domino's.

Dammit, if these restaurants don't stay out of politics, I'm gonna gain 20lbs between now and November, lol.

6. kathleenkat profile image83
      kathleenkatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We are hungry for attention wink

7. Xenonlit profile image61
      Xenonlitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

For every boycotter, there will probably be ten new customers. The freaks are a small minority and the rest are losing patience with them.

8. Repairguy47 profile image60
      Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wonder did you start a thread about the chik boycott? Seems to me that this is about what America is all about. The freedom to choose not to do business with someone.

1. habee profile image93

Yes, you're right - it is one's right to boycott a business just because you don't agree with the owner politically. It's my right, however, to think it's a silly reason. lol

Someone had already started the Chic-Fil-A thread before I learned about the situation. If memory serves, though, I think I made a post or two.

1. Repairguy47 profile image60
          Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just wondering. But you do seem to do a lot of hand wringing for the left.

1. habee profile image93

I agree with some of the left's social policies, although I agree more with the right's fiscal policies. Honestly, I don't see how any thinking, reasonable person can agree 100% with any party or with any candidate. I don't trust people who'll never admit fault with their side or their candidate. Nor do I trust those who'll never admit the good points in the other party or opposing candidate.

I'm pretty much an open book, RG. Ask me where I stand on any issue, and I'll be glad to tell you - unless it's something I don't know enough about to provide an answer.

BTW, you made me curious about the Chik-Fil-A thread. I was right - I posted in defense of the owner.

9. profile image0
      HowardBThinameposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Boycotting is silly.

Unless folks are afraid that he'll pick them up and squeeze them with a big bear hug.

1. profile image0

Hey, I'll take a hug from Obama - you too, Howard!  Hugs are necessary for quality of life and peace of mind.  Maybe the guy just needed a frickin' hug.  Lighten up, people! smile

2. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 11 years ago

Just goes to show that you probably can't afford to mix business with any semblance of politics.

Both instances are sad IMO, but people have that right.

You know, a lot of businesses are silently-boycotted for having 'no guns allowed' signs. There will always be people who don't agree with you... there will always be instances where people support and don't support a boycott...

3. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 11 years ago

He obviously didn't get the memo that pizza business owners must only support Republicans.

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTilBgj98vzrBHO_Mkd73c8IS6pk960IGYvOHTLk0SZ2y_DMlzh

4. Reality Bytes profile image75
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

Spending money and soliciting a business is a form of voting with your money.  It is a personal choice.  Politics, religion, and believe it or not, sports teams, either of these things could cause customers to avoid your business. 

Yes, a Red Sox fan will not dine in a restaurant owned by a known Yankees fan.  smile

5. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 11 years ago

The pizzeria is in Fort Pierce, FL. I figured that would be pretty friendly territory for Obama supporters. Of course, it might be just a handful of very vocal boycotters drawing the attention.

6. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 11 years ago

All this silliness has been turned around on the boycotters.  Supporters responded by ordering so many pizzas that the company couldn't keep up so they requested that money be donated directly to The Van Duzer Foundation, a charity set up by the owner well before this boycott occurred.

1. habee profile image93

Good!

7. profile image53
    Redrikaposted 11 years ago

I agree with  "one of the dumbest statements".  The pizzeria owner does have the right to support the candidate of his choice!  We should be upset the Bush Administration left this mess for Obama to clean up and repair.

8. ocbill profile image52
    ocbillposted 11 years ago

I hope it is NY style pizza. I guess the area is a strong republican locale.

9. MrMaranatha profile image72
    MrMaranathaposted 11 years ago

Its ok to boycott someone for supporting the killing of puppies... But its not ok to boycott a candidate who supports the killing of babies?

I will boycott whoever I like for whatever reason I feel like.. its my right.. it is everyone's right.. its everyone's voice regardless of what they are boycotting or for what reason...

If the GLBT crowd wants to boycott Chickfilet then let them.. but they should not be allowed back in for Kiss in either...  They can Keep that crap to themselves.

10. Teddletonmr profile image69
    Teddletonmrposted 11 years ago

Boycott this, boycott that, you’re a raciest when you speak out about Mr. Obama, a homophobe when you have the audacity to have an opinion other than the P.C marriage thing, any hoo, from one damn Yankee to a well-respected ole southern lady. I must admit when I saw the big ole boy grab Mr. Obama, my first thought, oh my I hope that big ole boy doesn’t hurt Mr. Obama. Think about it, what kind of social upheaval would have sprung from the news, republican assaults Mr. Obama in a Florida pizza place.

1. habee profile image93

lol

11. The Suburban Poet profile image82
    The Suburban Poetposted 11 years ago

I'm not surprised. The extremists are becoming more extreme on both sides. My cousin's entire Facebook page is devoted to two things: His union's negotiations and Obama. He announced that ANYONE who is a Republican is no longer welcome in his home. He has many family members as friends who are Republicans so he drew the line very tightly. He is a complete jerk and operates with pure arrogance. He thinks he is smarter than everyone but he is not because it is clear that his emotional maturity has receded dramatically.

1. habee profile image93

Yep, there are folks like that on BOTH sides. I have an ex-friend who's almost as bad. He's far to the left, and conservatives and moderates can't even discuss politics with him because he gets too mad. That includes his own mother!

I can discuss politics and religion with ANYONE who's calm, thoughtful, respectful, and rational. As I've said many times here, my best friend is a liberal Dem, and we have NEVER had a cross word over politics. And yes, we discuss the issue on a regular basis. We've found that if we talk long enough, we can find some middle ground. Congress should take lessons! lol

1. Teddletonmr profile image69
        Teddletonmrposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Harry Ried work across party lines big_smile

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60
        Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Secretly, Holle, I think you may be a closet Dem. lol

1. habee profile image93

Several people have accused me of that! lol

1. profile image0

Nah, you're an undercover Dem, clearly.

All moderates are really D's at heart. At least, that was the title of the paper I wrote in my Political Science class, which I got a 'D' on. Clearly my teacher was a moderate too!

1. habee profile image93

lol  I think I'm too pro-gun and states' rights to be a good Dem.

1. profile image0

Prove it, let's see your ballots!

And none of this 2-years-worth crap either, I want at least a decade of proof of your voting record!

1. habee profile image93

You'd see that they're mostly - but not all - R votes. I voted for Clinton once, I've voted for several D governors, and I sometimes vote D or I in local races, state races, and in congressional races. And Reagan is my hero. He could ride a horse! lol

12. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

Back to the topic... it turns out he is a Republican smile

1. jantamaya profile image59
      jantamayaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

:-) :-) :-) LOVE your answer!!!!!!!

2. Mighty Mom profile image79
      Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well this is indeed dismaying.
      Here we have a small business owner, a registered Republican, in one of the most crucial swing states, publicly supporting Obama.
      Didn't he get the memo?
      Obama hates business and Michelle is fighting to remove pizza from schools!
      lol

13. kathleenkat profile image83
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

Say it ain't so! Pizza is the most delicious vegetable out there.

1. Mighty Mom profile image79

lol
      Good one!
      But I might have to challenge you on that one, KK,
      I think it's a tossup between pizza and ketchup.
      Of course we would have to agree (wouldn't we?) that both contain the source "vegetable" tomatoes.
      And, of course, ketchup is best on a French fried potatoe with an "e."
      lol

1. Shadesbreath profile image79
        Shadesbreathposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Tomato is a fruit. Get it right.

1. Teddletonmr profile image69
          Teddletonmrposted 11 years agoin reply to this

red or green they both taste great:)

2. Mighty Mom profile image79

I'm just quoting the beloved Ronald Reagan.
          And the not so beloved Dan Quayle.
          smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)