Weekly Topic Inspiration: Creating a Functional Family Budget

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Establishing a functional family budget isn’t easy- in addition to working with what are typically tight resources, families have to learn to reconcile different approaches to spending, organizing finances, saving, dealing with debt, and establishing what is “necessary” and what is “nice to have”.

What have you learned from your experience with family budgeting that you could share with the world at large? Do you have a good template that others could use, or some tips on working on a communal budget while reducing strife and conflict? I’d love to see what you have to share!

Some tips on creating successful financial advice Hubs:
    1. Research your competition and choose titles that reflect people searching for advice on your subject would type into Google
    2. Keep your Hubs simple, streamlined, and attractive: break your Hub into multiple Text Capsules and make use of bulleted and numbered lists (not to mention Table Capsules) for sharing multiple tips and facts efficiently
    3. To help illustrate what are sometimes abstract concepts, consider explaining your advice within the context of a personal story (e.g. start by giving your major tips, then explain how you utilize them in your own life)

Don’t have a particular Hub in mind? Here are some search-friendly titles to consider using:
    A Wedding Budget Planner for Practical Couples
    A Monthly Budget Planner for Busy Families
    Money Saving Tips for Families
    Tips on Saving the Family Money
    How to Overcome Common Home Budget Issues
    Home Budgeting for Beginners
    A Budget Planning Worksheet for Families
    How to Budget Money with Your Spouse
    A Simple Family Budget Plan
    Budgeting Money as a Family
    Money Problems in Marriage
    How to Address Money-Related Relationship Problems

To create search-friendly titles of your own, follow the steps outlined in this Learning Center guide.

If you'd like to join in on this week's topic by writing a Hub, follow these steps:

1)    Stop by this week's Weekly Topic Inspiration Question.
    2)    Click the green button "answer this question".
    3)    Click the gray button below the box (leave that empty) that says "make a Hub about it."
    4)    Give your Hub a very specific title, like Easy Summer Gardening Projects for Kids or Challenging Summer Activities for Teens
    5)    Create good quality original content that hasn't been covered before.
    6)    After you publish your Weekly Topic Inspiration Hub, come back to this forum thread and post a link to your Hub with a brief description of what you wrote about and why.

For more information on the Weekly Topic Inspiration program, check out the Learning Center guide.

To give your Hub a better chance of becoming a Hub of the Day make sure the images are legally used and properly attributed!

1. profile image54
      zhuzaoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I know

2. daisydayz profile image84
    daisydayzposted 11 years ago

Here is my hub: 5 easy ways to save money on your household bills
    http://daisydayz.hubpages.com/hub/5-Sim … old-Budget

I had been thinking about doing this one for a while so your topic spurred me to actually get it down on (virtual) paper! Thank you!

Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad that this week's theme served as the tipping point! Love the Hub, and learned from it, too! I didn't even know that it was possible to shop around for different utility providers.

3. Mom Kat profile image77
    Mom Katposted 11 years ago

Here's my hub on saving money on your heating bill during the winter.
    With the economy so snug, it's important to save money where you can.

Money Saving Tips: Avoid Winter Wasting
    http://momkat.hubpages.com/t/33e4ef

I love the seasonal approach you've taken- there certainly are ways to keep down those extra expenses that crop up in the wintertime!
      I especially love your tip on heating the home by baking/cooking more. I do that all the time, and it also makes things smell GREAT!

1. Mom Kat profile image77
        Mom Katposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Simone.  Quick question.... if I want to write more than one hub on this can I go to the question and click "answer as a hub" more than once or do I just come here & post more links?

If you find that you can't submit more than two Hub Answers, feel free to just share additional links here. big_smile

2. Mom Kat profile image77

Here's another one:

Frugal Living: The Edible Yard ~ http://momkat.hubpages.com/t/33ee96

With the price of everything going up, it's nice to be able to have access to food without even needing to leave your own yard!  Saves money & makes your yard look great.

Here's another: Water Bill Super Saver
        http://hub.me/aei53

1. profile image54

I like that way of life

2. Mom Kat profile image77

Here's one I wrote a while ago on how to balance your budget:
          http://momkat.hubpages.com/hub/How-To-B … our-Budget

4. ITcoach profile image57
    ITcoachposted 11 years ago

Simone Smith,

You have a great information about the house wives and for the working as well. You hubs almost covers the home debts, home finances and home capital. I think you may launch a profitable blogs for earning. How you got these all fruitful ideas?. The topics you discussed are really impressive. Have you some ideas about the IT hubs?

Thanks ITcoach! One of the best ways to get ideas is to see what people are generally searching on by visiting the Google AdWords Keyword Tool. We have tips on using it in this Learning Center entry. Do check it out!

5. Helena Ricketts profile image93
    Helena Rickettsposted 11 years ago

I LOVE this topic and have never participated in any of the Weekly Topic Inspirations before so it's time to jump in!

I'm going to claim the title Dos and Don’ts of Lending Money to Family because I've done this many times with mixed results.  hmm

I'll be back when it's finished to post the link in a day or two!  smile

Hurrah! I am so excited that you'll be joining in for the first time. Great title choice (I've removed it from the list to be on the safe side). Can't wait to read the Hub!

6. magdalenerami profile image61
    magdaleneramiposted 11 years ago

I love the topic. It is a great idea for people to share the useful tips and information. Thanks.

I'm glad you think so, magdalenerami! I hope you'll be joining in. big_smile

7. profile image0
    KDuBarry03posted 11 years ago

Here's my offering for this week's topic! I decided to go with a budget I have to watch myself along with some money saving tips on making soup for the family or even for one person.

http://kdubarry03.hubpages.com/hub/Savi … emade-soup

8. Denise Handlon profile image86
    Denise Handlonposted 11 years ago

lol  Simone,  I love the use of the words 'functional family' budget.  I suppose that leaves out all of the 'dysfunctional' families, hee hee.

I want to hear about the dysfunctional family budget! smile  That sounds fun!

1. Denise Handlon profile image86
        Denise Handlonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

9. Ruchira profile image71
    Ruchiraposted 11 years ago

My thoughts about budget esp for the newly married
    http://ruchira.hubpages.com/hub/Budget- … -Newlyweds

1. profile image54

good , I love

10. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image95
    Glimmer Twin Fanposted 11 years ago

http://glimmertwinfan.hubpages.com/hub/ … eting?done

My hub for the weekly inspiration.  I used this method when I first got out of college, but families may be able to use it for budgeting too.

1. profile image0
      KDuBarry03posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow, very interesting and very well detailed!

11. profile image54
    zhuzaoposted 11 years ago

good , I  like .

12. chrissieklinger profile image74
    chrissieklingerposted 11 years ago

http://chrissieklinger.hubpages.com/hub … s-a-Family

Here is my article on budgeting money as a family.

1. profile image54

Do what thing to have a plan, so that life can in an orderly way

13. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Thanks for sharing your great budgeting tips with us, everyone! This week's new theme is cleaning. We all have to clean, so why shouldn't we share our advice on keeping things as neat, sanitary, and organized as possible?

14. Gary Holdaway profile image88
    Gary Holdawayposted 11 years ago

I would have posted this last night had I realised the topics didn't close smile

http://garyholdaway.hubpages.com/hub/Ma … mily-money

1. Denise Handlon profile image86
      Denise Handlonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

REad it and  commented.  smile

1. Gary Holdaway profile image88
        Gary Holdawayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

just noticed, thank you smile

15. Daughter Of Maat profile image93
    Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years ago

I'm a bit late, but at least I got it done before the next Weekly Topic of Inspiration! lol

http://daughterofmaat.hubpages.com/hub/ … p-Problems

16. savingkathy profile image93
    savingkathyposted 11 years ago

Here's my hub: Family Finances: How to Save More Money

http://savingkathy.hubpages.com/hub/Fam … More-Money

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)