The bible has now been proven worthful

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (50 posts)
  1. jacobkuttyta profile image44
    jacobkuttytaposted 11 years ago

The seven-day week is used by the majority of the world and is the international standard as specified in ISO 8601

The seven-day week appears in the Creation story in the Book of Genesis, in the Hebrew Bible, where Elohim (God) is said to have created the heavens and the earth in six days and rested on the seventh (Genesis 1:1-2:3). In the Book of Exodus, the fourth of the ten commandments is to rest on the seventh day, the Sabbath, which can be seen as implicating a seven-day week social institution (Exodus 20:8-11)

1. boyatdelhi profile image50
      boyatdelhiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7252746_f248.jpg

2. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There you go. Of all the things a Majikal Super Being could have given us - it gave us a 7 day week. wink

1. Iamsam profile image61
        Iamsamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not only that...

Jesus is undoubtedly the most influential figure in human history.  The world counts time from the year of his birth.  His teachings have brought about helpful reforms and humanitarian efforts of every variety. 

The eras designated "A.D." (Anno Domini; "In the year of our Lord") and "B.C." (Before Christ) divide history by the traditional year of his birth. Today, some prefer to use "B.C.E." (Before the Common Era) and "C.E." (the Common Era). This system, too, divides time by the year of Jesus' birth.

1. Mark Knowles profile image57

I guess you are correct. I think more people have been murdered in Jesus' name than any one else. If you consider "conflicts and arguments," to be influential - yes. We are in the process of changing the BC stuff right now. A lot of people get sick of having this mythical figure forced into secular life.

Pity about the 2,000 years of wars and slavery though. sad Maybe if Jesus had stood up against such things?

2. pisean282311 profile image62
          pisean282311posted 11 years agoin reply to this

@Iamsam most influential?....hmmm as per few experts it has been muhammad and muhammad came 1st in global poll on being greatest ever...jesus was 2nd followed by Gandhi at 3rd place...

@pisean282311  Thanks for your intelligence...

1. pisean282311 profile image62

@iamsam what has intelligence to do with reporting polls?...even some one like u can do it if u try...no need for intelligence...tongue...we r here not debating about ur intelligence or mine , it is about your bold statement...i just provided u counter thoughts which already exist (like The 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Persons in History ,jesus comes third in this)...is jesus most influential?...answer is no in many opinions....now debate would be why or why not and that would require some real intelligent thinking...

3. That Grrl profile image73
          That Grrlposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not all of the world counts time using AD and BC. Do your research.

3. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So what? The seven day week appeared in the Babylonian and Sumerian calendars long before the Hebrews got hold of it.

2. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 11 years ago

depends on context...from many perceptives and context yes it is worthful , from other contexts it is worthless...

3. aka-dj profile image64
    aka-djposted 11 years ago

"Worthful", huh?

Nice word, but can't seem to find it in my dictionary. sad

1. lone77star profile image71
      lone77starposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Isn't it wonderful to be a writer and to create words from known roots?

Shakespeare did it all the time.

4. Brian in Canada profile image60
    Brian in Canadaposted 11 years ago

Iamsam, you might be right but the problem is Jesus may not have existed and what is more, Jesus is the most wicked man in the Bible.

@brian wicked?...how?

1. profile image0
        jomineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

He is the one who invented hell and sin, I think(not sure though).

@jomine sin is concept of jews...and hell/heaven concept predates jesus...it was dominating concept 3k yrs back in hindus too..later it evolved and final destination was altered from heaven/hell to moksha or nirvana(of buddism) ..it is concept of getting dissolved into source and no return...if we study religions from ancient times to modern ones...we find evolution of thoughts in it...jesus according to me was jew born in existing context that god would intervene and died for his conviction...

1. profile image0
            jomineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The Hindu concept of hell is entirely different from christian, there is no eternal gnashing of teeth and fire and the like.
            But isn't Christianity that introduced the concept of hell(its present form) to the  middle east and west? Isn't Christianity the originator of 'original sin' and man as sinner.
            Of course Jews has the concept of sin, but to my knowledge, they do not consider humans as sinners, inherently. I may be wrong here of course(except hindu concept of hell).

@jomine ya right...hell of hindu is different from hell of abrahamics...christians u r sinner and repent is not original..it is jew concept...original sin..ya that might be concept of Christians...middle east yup...they where happy go merry kinds before Muhammad came in with such concepts and ideas...

2. boyatdelhi profile image50
      boyatdelhiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@Brian in Canad
      There is contradiction in your statement.  If you doubt the existence of Jesus, then how can he be wicked?

By blaming Jesus as wicked, you are proving his existence.

@boy he is stating jesus as fiction character in novel called bible...what he is agreeing is that fiction character has been most influential...there is no contradiction....quiet often we humans get influenced from fiction characters...personally though i believe jesus existed....

5. Paul Wingert profile image61
    Paul Wingertposted 11 years ago

So, how does the 7 day week make the Bible worthful? Although I found the Bible very worthful. I had a table that wobbled and I tore the cover off to use as a shim. The rest make great kindling for starting camp fires.

1. calynbana profile image77
      calynbanaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually a lot of sayings, morals and practices that occur in the states and Canada come from the Bible. I don't know about other countries so I will stick to these two.

-Apple of my eye
      -Rise and Shine
      -Writing on the wall
      -Am I my brothers keeper?
      -At your wits end
      -Eye for an Eye
      -Out of the mouths of babes
      -Skin of my teeth
      -Woe is me

Those are some sayings that come from the Bible.

Like Op said our measurement of time is Biblical.

Here is an interesting one. Ever wonder why your debts may be forgotten after 7 years? Why your credit report does not keep all the delinquent information after the seven years? Its Biblical.

The Library forgets your debt after 7 years as well.

We used to have a day of rest for the Sabbath but that is now disappearing. Too bad though,it was nice for families to have that day together with nothing open.

Much of our legal systems are rooted in the Bible. I am not going to go into specifics because that would take more time than I currently have available. Here is a site that lists many laws and customs rooted in the Bible. http://www.lonang.com/foundation/1/f18.htm#

Anyways there are many other examples but I think I listed enough to make the point that the Bible does have worth, it has contributed to our traditions, beliefs, and practices whether you are Christian or not. (Still speaking from in context of Canadians and Americans). I would definitely say it is full of worth.

Another point that not everybody will agree with, and that is perfectly fine, is that the Bible is a set of Historical documents. Many people would claim that the fact that it gives us a window into history makes the Bible very useful.

Funny stuff. The bible is a set of mythical stories.

Many of the laws regarding slavery came from the bible. You must be very proud of that. lol

LOL that our measurement of time is biblical. The seven day week was far earlier than the babble.

Really - this is the best you can come up with? I would think William Shakespeare offered a better range of sayings myself.

Let me know when your student loans start being written off after 7 years. lol

What a shame you didn't have time to go back further to find where many of the biblical "morals" and "practices," came from in the first place.  Not that you are trying to convince anyone of anything. wink

Hey Mark tell me why your writing has worth. I have read some of your hubs, I have seen what I personally feel is better by other hubbers. Does this mean your writing loses its worth?

lol
            I would say most of it is worthless - much like your majik book.

I doubt it will cause many wars though. wink

Thanks for the critique - I felt sure you would take this personally from behind your fake name.

Honestly I like a lot of your hubs, I was just using it as a point. Your personal opinion does not change the fact that there is worth in the Bible. I never said how much, I just gave some examples supporting OP.

You say that the Bible causes many wars. Fine. You know my thoughts on that point. Honestly I think you are being hard headed and intellectually dishonest on that point yet again but I won't push you on it.

You feel free to accuse me of all the things you wish from behind your fake username. My personal opinion is my personal opinion.

I don't know your thoughts on this point, all ever see you do is irrationally defend a magic book using outright lies,  while at the same time claiming not to be trying to do so. You and I both know that the Bible and the Christian religion has been responsible for multiple wars, as well as the destruction of multiple cultures in the Americas.

Little wonder your religion causes so many conflicts. wink

7 day week? nothing to do with the lunar cycle? All the bible huh?

But if you think they're worth of the Bible is based on providing a 7 day week and a few cultural sayings.... OK then. Good for your Invisible Super Being. Where would we be without that?

A sea change
                A sorry sight
                Age cannot wither her, nor custom stale her infinite variety
                All corners of the world
                All of a sudden
                All one to me
                All that glitters is not gold / All that glisters is not gold
                All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players
                All's well that ends well

Personally,  I prefer William Shakespeare as a source of expressions.

I have told you my name before. I do not use a fake user name, this is the same name I use whenever I do contracts. It is a pen name my friend. My real name is displayed right there on my profile beside my username. So please, give it up.

I maintain that this collection of documents does not cause wars. It isn't sentient. It doesn't have limbs, it is paper. I don't think it could start war even if it had the ability to want to.

People start wars. People with an us against them attitude. People that think they are better because of their religious beliefs, race, technology and any other number of reasons. Sure people who think they are doing God's work start wars. They are not backed up by the Bible.

Right - nothing to do with your religion. Gotcha. lol

People reading it thinking they are doing God's work. 2,000 years of fighting over it. Jesus saying "you are either with me or you are against me."

Your religion is blameless. No wars in the bible.

Christianity is not responsible. Nothing in the bible suggests there is only one way and if you are not following that way, you are the enemy or a fool.

Have you actually read this book? You who the very first thing you need to tell anyone on your profile is that you are different because you follow Jesus Christ?

Now who is being intellectually dishonest ?

6. calynbana profile image77
    calynbanaposted 11 years ago

I don't think you made any points Mark. I am not avoiding them. I just think that you either have a terrible memory, or you just ignore everything that I say to you. I have answered your "points" previously. There is no reason to do so on this forum thread. This thread is about the worth of the Bible. I made my point. I feel no need to defend myself or my beliefs to you once again. I have no reason to believe that you will actually care what I say, so why should I bother?

But you never tell the truth. When you claimed there was masses of historic evidence for the existence of Jesus - you failed to back that up.

That you are not defending your beliefs. lol

I used to defend them when we first started interacting. When I realized the pointlessness of it I stopped. As for the evidence I provided it. You didn't deem it to be as relevant as I did. Difference in opinion, not a lie.

Please stop lying at me. It insults my intelligence.

Ditto except I would use the word to. Stop lying to me. smile

I am not lying at you. You did not provide this "evidence" that you claimed - it is not a matter of opinion.

This is why your religion causes so many conflicts. sad

Have a good day Mark.

Oh - thanks I will.

What a shame you are really not interested in why your religion causes so many conflicts. You make a claim, I ask you to substantiate it, you pass me off with some untruths and then accuse me of ignoring the "evidence," you provided. Really - this religion teaches people to behave in this fashion and then deny that they are doing so. It really does blind you to reality.

Have a great day yourself.

There is girl named Angelica Zambrano who died for a period of 23 hours, a young Ecuadorian girl claims that she was shown the Kingdoms of Heaven and Hell.

If that is true, life on this earth will be a stepping stone to the eternal life,  just like life inside the womb of a mother is a stepping stone to the life on earth.

The question is that "Where will you spend your eternity.

Our life on this earth is not a joke.  Many people treat life as a joke.  Life is precious.  We need to do whatever we can to save it.  In eternity, we will have all the emotions.  But the difference is that some would be enjoying the positive emotions at the same time the others would be enjoying the negative emotions.

As per Angelica, there is a book called "Book of life is there in heaven.  The names of all those who are saved will be written on that book. The interesting thing is that the name those who receive Jesus are entered in the book at the same time the names of those who leave Jesus will be deleted from that book.

See what she says" As we walked, we soon began to climb up the most beautiful staircase. It seemed like a Ball Room. And in a high place in the room there was an altar, with a most beautiful golden pulpit. When we got to the pulpit, I saw a huge book and I asked Michael, "this book, what is it?"

While Michael was on the right side of the pulpit, he put his hand on the book and raised his voice saying, "Angelica, this book you see here is the Book of Life". I opened it and looked at it, page by page. I said, "What does this book mean, what is written on it?" Michael said, "Open it, upon this book is written all the names of those whom on Earth have repented and turned their lives to our Heavenly Father".

As I was looking through the book, I asked Michael, "Is my name written here?" "Yes, look it up and you’ll find it." I looked, but couldn’t find it. A little worried, I asked, "It is not here, my name is not here, I can’t find it, where is it?" He responded, "Look, here is your name." I was glad to see my name, but I could not understand it because it was written in another language. I noticed that many names were sparkling, so I asked him, "Why are those names bright and tingling?" He responded, "These names you see sparkling in the Book of Life, are those people on Earth, at this very moment are repenting from their sins and seeking for God’s presence. Look, these other names are hardly seen and some are being deleted as many have already been, are those people on Earth that are turning away from God’s ways. You have to do something, do something!"

Once again, he put his hand over the Book of Life and said to me, "Go and tell mankind that if their name is not written in this Book, they cannot enter the Kingdom of My Heavenly Father, they cannot enter the Kingdom of Heaven." I responded, "Alright, I will do so." It is written in Revelation 20:15 "if anyone's name was not found recorded in the Book of Life, he was hurled into the lake of fire." We walked out and went back to Jesus, he said, "It is time for you to return to Earth."

Do you think your name is written in the Book of Life? If you do not think so, go seek of God. If you've turned your back on God, reconcile with Him, because He is willing to forgive you, no matter what you have done. Remember, He came to save sinners; He came to forgive all mankind’s sins on Earth. Just open your heart and ask Him for forgiveness. He is willing to cleanse us from unrighteousness, as it clearly says in 1 John 1:9 ‘If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.’"

7. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 11 years ago

I have contradiction on this because of many reasons. Allah created this world with his almighty powers. He is never assumed to be sick or tired so Allah can made this earth in no time with his will. I am amazed that how is it possible that he take rest and then made the remaining one. It's totally against the Almighty powers of Allah's greatness.

1. lone77star profile image71
      lone77starposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"take rest and then made the remaining one?" Remaining one, what?

Like so many who read religious texts, wrong interpretation is common and all too easy.

Could the "resting" merely be a description of part of the process of creation? I have found in studying many religions that "resting" or "allowing" (as the Buddhists put it) is that part which gives a timeless creation its persistence (or timeliness).

Could what you say is "totally against the Almighty powers of Allah's greatness," be merely your limited interpretation?

Any search for knowledge -- whether it is pursued by a scientist looking for answers, or by the religious faithful -- cannot be found if the person looking thinks they already know the answers. All of the great religious leaders had humility and for a very good reason. We need to have similar humility, or we will never learn what they had to teach us.

2. A Troubled Man profile image58

Yes, invisible, magical super beings most definitely contradict reality.

What's interesting is that Allah is not supposed to possess any human characteristics, so how can "He" have a will?

Btw, what raw materials did Allah use to create the universe? Did Allah create something from nothing?

8. lone77star profile image71
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

I don't see how ISO 8601 proves the Bible "worthful" or worthy of anything.

The Bible is worthy of study and admiration because it holds truth.

And some of that Truth remains hidden for most people. Only in the last decade did I discover a timeline embedded in Genesis compatible with those of science.

And only recently did I realize that the 7 days of creation are clues to the mechanics of creation -- the actual process by which a spiritual being brings an idea into physical manifestation.

Seven is a powerful number. We find it mentioned twice in Genesis 4 and these are clues to that hidden wisdom of a scientifically compatible timeline.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58

What scientifically compatible timeline? Seven is just another number, it has as much "power" as any other number; nothing.

1. Nisha Jacob profile image60
        Nisha Jacobposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Whether seven has power or not, we have seven days a week.

The seventh day is for rest which acknowledge the Government.

Jesus Loves you

1. A Troubled Man profile image58

And yet, a 'backers dozen" has 13! It must be a sign of Satan, because he hates us.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)