Hub comments

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (26 posts)
  1. CrisSp profile image71
    CrisSpposted 11 years ago

Did you ever deny a comment or two from your hub? And if yes, why?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If a comment is purely spam or has a link to a site on it that is not related to the hub I will deny it.

1. Sally's Trove profile image78
        Sally's Troveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That and if the comment is obscene.

2. CrisSp profile image71
        CrisSpposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Make sense. Thank you uninvited Writer.

2. heavenleigh707 profile image71
      heavenleigh707posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I have. Due to the nature of my writing I had a psychic/pseudo-psychic make some incredibly negative claim unrelated to the writing itself, but rather regarding the subject matter. I knew it would do nothing to help the readers and that her energy was very in-your-face, so I didn't think it would be wise to give her a platform. smile I very rarely delete or choose not to approve. Some controversial comments can spark more overall interest.

One other time someone was giving me her personal email - so I didn't approve that one in order to protect her privacy.

Thank you for this helpful question, CrisSp! Love, Light and great comments on your Hubs, to you!

I agree, negative people's goal is to call for their much desired attention. So, why give them the platform?
        I haven't encountered or received any negative feedback on any of my hubs yet, so far and if I do, it will not be taken personally. Most likely, I will simply ignore the comment, if not delete it. Well, of course depending on how bad the comments were put out. Thank you  heavenleigh. Your feedback is very engaging.

3. kschang profile image86
      kschangposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I review "income opportunities" and frankly, most are scams. I point out why with clear explanatioins, and believers in this "opportunity" gets very very offended when I point out their lack of "due diligence". So yes, have to delete quite a few comments.

I will not be surprised kschang since your hub is all about the "money". Spammers are definitely lurking around. I would do the same, if that's the case. Thanks for participating in this forum.

4. the girls profile image67
      the girlsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I haven't denied yet, hoping not to do it. But, I will do the same if it is inappropriate, a spam or it is out of bounds.

2. kathleen1630 profile image61
    kathleen1630posted 11 years ago

exactly. uninvited writer is right! but i havent done it so far.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

Aside from a few that were obvious SPAM, I've only denied one comment on one of my movie reviews - it wasn't from a Hubber, it was from some random troll who found my article via Google. It was a lengthy, abusive and unnecessary attack (apparently since I didn't love the movie in question as much as the troll did, as far as he was concerned I was an idiot with no taste and therefore I had no right to be reviewing the film in the first place, etc., etc.) ... though after I deleted it, I actually kind of regretted doing so. It might've been more fun to leave it up and reply something along the lines of "Thanks for stopping by, Zippy. By the way, bite me."

Lol! Love the sarcasm there  Zippy, I mean FatFreddyCat! That's something to keep in mind...."bite me". But if I do that, would my hubber score be affected? (:  You know... for misbehavin'?

4. Charles James profile image67
    Charles Jamesposted 11 years ago

i had one comment on one of my political hubs that was quite funny. However it was really just a personal attack on a not very bright earlier commentator. It added nothing politically. I do not want my hub discussions to degenerate into personal wrangles so I just put up a short comment explaining why I was not publishing the "offending" comment

5. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

The only comment I ever blocked/deleted (other than spam) was from a kid. I have a hub on how to break your to child into the modeling business. A kid read it and left me a message with her full name and phone number, asking me to call her and help her become a model. I typed her name (a very unusual, one-of-a-kind name) into google, and one of the first results was her full facebook account without any access restrictions or privacy controls. She was about ten years old! I deleted her comment but replied anyway with some advice about internet safety. I hope she saw it and took the advice.

1. heavenleigh707 profile image71

Thank you for that,  SmartAndFun! That kind of "going the extra mile" helps everybody! I do hope she took your advice. smile

Good job SmartandFun! Poor kid, sometimes you wonder--where are the parents? Just like what heavenleigh said, I hope she took your advice and that her contact details didn't land into some evil's hand.

6. ESPeck1919 profile image86
    ESPeck1919posted 11 years ago

I've only ever denied a spammers and someone who had something against the paranormal and felt the need to try provoking an fight as a "guest". This isn't the place for that kind of interraction.

1. heavenleigh707 profile image71

Yes! I understand ESPeck1919. Good call. smile

1. ESPeck1919 profile image86
        ESPeck1919posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. smile

Correct ESPeck1919! It isn't worth it!

7. profile image0
    The Longhunterposted 11 years ago

I did once. The comment had a lot of profanity in it.

8. kathleenkat profile image82
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

Usually if they point out a spelling error, I'll deny it, but send them a "thank you" instead. I don't really need comments on my spelling for all to see, especially after I have fixed the error.

I agree on DzyMsLizzy although I am quite paranoid about my grammar and spelling (I'm pretty good in spelling though) - the fact that English is my second language, I wouldn't bother writing a comment about some minor typo error. However, I would appreciate a quick email directly to me to draw my attention on the oversight, not a comment for everyone to see. (: Thanks.

9. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years ago

I have denied a few--usually spam trolls from outside of HP.

However, I did finally end up deleting an entire exchange on one of my hubs, in which the commenter disagreed vehemently (and not very politely) with the points I was making.  We went back and forth a couple of times, and I finally decided I did not need a negative exchange of that nature posted for other readers, and I deleted them all, including my own replies.

@ kathleenkat, you raise a good point.  If I spot serious spelling or grammatical errors, I won't ever post that in the comments, but send the author an e-mail pointing out the problem, so as not to embarrass them in public.  Typos, suchas (sic) missing spaces, can happen to anyone, and I don't normally bother about those.  I've had people point out typos of mine in the comments, and I usually just reply with a 'thanks' and go fix it...but, I'd rather it was not in the comments, for then, it stays there for all to see, even after the issue is fixed.  sad

1. kathleenkat profile image82
      kathleenkatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I have my comments set to upon "approval" so they don't really end up seen if they are grammatical corrections. I could see how private messaging is preferred, however, I can admit to not knowing how to do that for the longest time; that feature is a little too buried for the average user, if you ask me.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
        DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Agreed, and its even more buried with the new profile layout!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)