How to Tell When Your Hubs Have Been Crawled

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (51 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

We have added a feature to the Search tab under the stats box on each Hub that enables you to see when that Hub that has last been crawled by search engines.
    http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7292927_f520.jpg
    When an Idle Hub is crawled, search engines will see that it has a noindex tag, which indicates to search engines that the page should not appear in search results. When a Hub falls into Idle status, it may take some time before the Hub is crawled, so it may remain in search engine results for some time. If you update an Idle Hub quickly, right when you see it is no longer Featured, you may bring it out of Idle status before it is crawled, meaning you can avoid having that Hub removed from search engines' indexes entirely.

Do keep in mind, though, that even after a Hub has been crawled, it might take a search engine some time to take it out of the index or add it back in. Essentially, once a Hub has been crawled and a search engine knows what we say it should do with a Hub, the ball is in the search engine's court.

On the flip side, it may take a while between the point in time at which an Idle Hub becomes Featured again and the point at which it is added back to search engine indexes, as the Hub must be crawled first.

We added this feature to make it easier to see why your Hub is being indexed (or not indexed). We hope you find it useful!

For more information on Featured, Pending, and Idle status, stop by our official Learning Center entry.

1. profile image0
      RTalloniposted 11 years agoin reply to this

On more than one level the "why" is huge--thanks!  smile

2. meloncauli profile image90
      meloncauliposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What a brilliant idea! This is great Simone. Thanks for letting us know smile

1. K9keystrokes profile image82
        K9keystrokesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What a fantastic feature! Thank you Simone and the HubPages Team! big_smile

3. ktrapp profile image92
      ktrappposted 11 years ago

Very handy to have the last crawl info. here. Thanks.

4. LetitiaFT profile image73
      LetitiaFTposted 11 years ago

Nifty helpful feature! Thanks!

5. Heather Says profile image94
      Heather Saysposted 11 years ago

Yay!  Thanks for the update and info smile

6. tillsontitan profile image82
      tillsontitanposted 11 years ago

Not only a great idea, but a great help.  This is a benefit not only for idle hubs but hubs we are trying to promote!  Knowing when (and if) Google or Bing have hits on our hubs is just another great weapon in our arsenal of hub promotions.  Thank you, thank you!!!

7. Simone Smith profile image87

Hey everyone! I am so pleased that you find this feature to be helpful.

Many thanks to Paul Deeds and Derek Gulbranson for getting this in order and making sure these things are as clear as possible!

8. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 11 years ago

This feature has allowed me to see that my latest hub - http://izzym.hubpages.com/hub/People-Wh … re-Pathway - which covers a very important and potentially life-saving topic, was crawled by the googlebot 8 hours ago, when the noindex tag was still on it.

Now it could be weeks before it comes around again, during which time this hub will not be read except by hubbers and social traffic.

Thanks a lot, Hubpages!

Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It may actually take Google some time to remove your Hub from the index, so you might still be getting search traffic for quite some time. smile

1. IzzyM profile image87
          IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You misunderstood me Simone.

This is a new hub that was put into pending mode.

It was visited by the googlebot during this period, presumably because other hubbers linked it to Facebook and Twitter.

Google saw the noindex tag. It'll likely be weeks before it gets indexed now.

If you are going to hide newly published hubs, then take away all linking from it to social networks to stop the Googlebot from seeing it.

1. janderson99 profile image54
            janderson99posted 11 years agoin reply to this

The last two hubs I published were visited by G bot within 30 minutes, only to be slapped and told to go away!  Hiding doesn't work when the hubs are sent to followers, etc. I used to love the way new hubs were indexed so quickly, now this good feature works against us and imposes an indexing delay and lost income. Why is this beneficial to established and trusted writers? I have never had a pending hub fail to get the Prince's Kiss and awaken. This is just a pain.

9. janderson99 profile image54
      janderson99posted 11 years ago

This "exclusive" page
      http://janderson99.hubpages.com/hub/Slo … oes-Recipe
      Is listed as being crawled 7 days ago, with an update to say 22 hours ago.
      Yet it does not appear in the SERPS using the search term " Slow Roasted Dried Tomatoes Recipe hubpages"  and cache:http://janderson99.hubpages.com/hub/Slow-Roasted-Dried-Tomatoes-Recipe produces a 404 error
      Any clues???

This test works

cache:http://janderson99.hubpages.com/hub/Best-Hair-Color-for-Blue-Eyes-Light-Brown-Green-and-Hazel-Eyes

so what is going on with the tomatoes one!!!

2. Simone Smith profile image87

All we can do is make sure that Hubs are properly tagged and let you know when they are crawled- once they are, it is up to a particular search engine to make a move, I'm afraid!

3. janderson99 profile image54

I looked at one of my hubs still in the pending period
        The tool says it was crawled 14 hours ago - with the NOINDEX tag in place.
        This means that the bot won't be back for days or weeks
        This is bad for authors and bad for HP
        The only way I can get pages indexed is to submit them to webmastercentral
        Surely there must be a better way. This is extremely annoying!
        Sending pages to the sin bin tells Google not to index them
        Does HP have any stats on the proportion of pages that are crawled during the pending period and  don't get indexed for days or weeks!

I suspect that EVERY new page gets crawled while pending - the bot sees the NOINDEX tag and goes away - not to return for days or weeks - surely this is bad and should be addressed. The hubber and HP loses income, which can never be regained!!!

To be fair, most Hubs do not start making significant income until they're quite mature (e.g. have been around for months- if not longer). smile

In my experience that notion is out of date.
            Why doesn't HP introduce 'Trusted Authors' who wouldn't have all their new hubs sent to the 'sin bin'. Many other sites do it. It would free-up scarce resources. A Win Win!

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7296726_f248.jpg

1. profile image0
              EmpressFelicityposted 11 years agoin reply to this

In theory that's a good idea but I can see problems - it would lay HP open to accusations of favouritism.

1. Pearldiver profile image69
                Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually..... That would be a moot point... given the current favoritism practices!  lol

1. IzzyM profile image87
                  IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Exactly.

We have list of hubbers NOW whose work is featured immediately.

Want their names?

Most of us have to wait.

2. JayeWisdom profile image89
            JayeWisdomposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Simone....I'm still trying to discover why my traffic hasn't picked back up on my hub (a DIY article) that was, prior to late September, garnering half of my total traffic.  I've lost more than half of all hub traffic and half my earnings this month, even after tweaking my "best" hub.  It still shows the same Google ranking, so I'm bewildered that its traffic is so decreased.  It doesn't help that I'm "technically challenged."  Do you have any explanation about the fate of this hub?  Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.  JAYE

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
            DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And just how are they supposed to 'mature' if they get hidden in pending status from the get-go?  Saying 'it's up to the search engine to re-crawl,' is a cop-out, because it was HP who installed the 'no index' PENALTY!!  (For that is what it truly is!)  If it's not indexed, the crawler may not come back for weeks, months or at all...lost income ALL AROUND.  This was NOT a good move on HP's part!
            Being able to "see" when it was last crawled does nothing to get rid of a 'no-index' tag.  We need information on HOW to do THAT!
            Re-write the article?  Add/change tags or keywords?  Or, once it's de-indexed, that's that--too bad, so sad?

4. janderson99 profile image54

"To be fair, most Hubs do not start making significant income until they're quite mature (e.g. have been around for months- if not longer)."

Its still lost income - If you impose delays so that an income of $100  that would have occurred in 4 weeks is delayed a week, after 5 weeks your net income is $100 not $200!

4. janderson99 profile image54

The tool should test whether the page is ACTUALLY indexed - that is what is important!!!!

1. Pearldiver profile image69
          Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not to a Smoke and Mirrors Salesperson!  sad

Maybe the tool can also now upgrade all that missing information on the measuring of hub Viewing Durations?  It seems that half of mine, even though some of the hubs are over two years old haven't yet been measured yet for some rather obscure reason?

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
          DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Agreed, janderson99!

5. David Warren profile image83
        David Warrenposted 11 years ago

Thanks for the info. Great feature that likely as not I wouldn't have found without seeing this.

6. Rosie2010 profile image68
        Rosie2010posted 11 years ago

Awesome added feature!  Thanks Hubpages!  I never learned how to find out when the bots come a-crawlin' my hubs, so this added feature is very helpful to me.  Cheers!  smile

7. pstraubie48 profile image82
        pstraubie48posted 11 years ago

This is one of the best features yet. Thank you so much for giving us insight into it as well.

8. missolive profile image61
        missoliveposted 11 years ago

Great job HP! Thanks for adding this feature. I can use all the data I can get. smile

9. Beth100 profile image69
        Beth100posted 11 years ago

This is an excellent feature!  I have been away for several months, and coming back, I see many useful tools that the HP team has implemented.  It's a great, and wonderful surprise, to come back to a site that has so many useful tools for the writer.

Thank you and kudos to the HP team!

10. aa lite profile image84
        aa liteposted 11 years ago

HubPages suddenly experiences a significant surge in traffic as all hubbers go through their accounts checking when their hubs were last crawled smile

Hahaa!

2. JayeWisdom profile image89
          JayeWisdomposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The points DzyMzLzzy and janderson99 made in posts (above) are correct--seeing when hubs are crawled is not helpful if hubbers cannot do anything about indexing. Those are the "tools" HP needs to provide--so we can see if our hubs are indexed and, if not, show us how to ensure they are indexed by Google and other search engines.

11. viryabo profile image93
        viryaboposted 11 years ago

Its a wonderful feature Simone and HP team. smile i like that i can know when my site has been crawled.

It will be nice to know when the bots are about to come crawling too  tongue

12. afmolinajr profile image40
        afmolinajrposted 11 years ago

this is such a very good feature. now i can manage my hubs even better. Thanks for this one!

13. rfmoran profile image71
        rfmoranposted 11 years ago

Excellent idea for hub management. We can never have enough analytical ideas.

14. mary615 profile image82
        mary615posted 11 years ago

Many thanks for this feature, HP!  I was pleasantly surprised when I first saw the message:    "congratulations , etc.etc."

15. twentyfive profile image77
        twentyfiveposted 11 years ago

Awesome! Thank you for another great feature Hubpages smile

16. HoneyBB profile image92
        HoneyBBposted 11 years ago

Thanks for sharing this info. I will definitely watch carefully for my hubs to come out of idle status.

17. Sharkye11 profile image89
        Sharkye11posted 11 years ago

This is a really cool feature. It definitely takes the guess work out of the equation for the authors. Which gives us more time to research and write hubs!

18. Anamika S profile image68
        Anamika Sposted 11 years ago

Cool New Feature... Thanks to HubPages Team

19. Simone Smith profile image87

Thanks for your kind words, feedback, and comments everyone!

20. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 11 years ago

Useful feature. Nice one.

21. sereseus profile image68
        sereseusposted 11 years ago

Thanks for letting us know this.

22. JayeWisdom profile image89
        JayeWisdomposted 11 years ago

By the way, Simone, I used the new feature to see when my "best" hub was last crawled by search engines.  Not good news. Even though my title uses words from engine searches, Google last crawled the article THREE DAYS AGO, and Bing, two days ago!

23. JKenny profile image90
        JKennyposted 11 years ago

Great idea! Thanks you Simone and the rest of the HP team. Thank you very much for your efforts and keeping us informed.

24. carter06 profile image68
        carter06posted 11 years ago

Thanks a lot for Simone it's really helpful for us to be able to see this...appreciate your effort as it gives a broader context to our understanding of our idle hubs...cheers

25. LiamBean profile image80
        LiamBeanposted 11 years ago

This is a really nice feature. As soon as I read this, saw it in slow hub, I used it and made some modifications to existing.

Thanks for the info Simone.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
      Necessary
      HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
      LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
      Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
      AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
      Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
      CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
      Features
      Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
      Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
      Marketing
      Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
      Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
      Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
      Statistics
      Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
      ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
      ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)