Ethnic Cuisine

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (46 posts)
  1. Denise Handlon profile image83
    Denise Handlonposted 11 years ago

With all of the very many varieties of cuisine to choose from, what is your favorite type of food to eat...it can include your own country's food.

1. profile image0
      stessilyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Denise, There was a time when I could have had a straightforward answer to your question. My enduring passion is for Italian cuisine, but there are days when I hanker for Greek food, especially souvlaki, or Chinese, French, etc. Basically, there's something in every cuisine that appeals to me.

Denise Handlonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I hear you loud and clear.  I grew up on Italian, but love Thai.  Other days, I can't go without Mexican-the real authentic kind, not the franchise.  Greek is also one of my very favorites.  Chinese...well, I think so much of it has been 'Americanized'.    Thanks for answering.

2. profile image53
      icestar1995posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I really like Italian food. Then there's some days when I just really want French food. I tried this amazing Tortellini once on a visit to NYC, and I've tried some really good quiches. I find myself disappointed though every time I go to a big franchise, so I've taken an interest in cooking. Not going to well, but they say practice makes perfect.

Absolutely, practice makes perfect.  I have good days, when I'm totally on with the foods I cook, and then really bad ones where everything I try is a bad experiment, lol   Good luck.

2. Denise Handlon profile image83
    Denise Handlonposted 11 years ago

Mine happens to be Thai food.   It is my first choice if going out to a restaurant, because I don't cook Thai food.

1. profile image0

Denise, I think that I would have to agree about Thai food. As with you, it's a cuisine that I tend to explore through restaurants --- although I've enjoyed what is prepared in my own kitchen.

I made a hub about a Thai Soup I created and it was sooo  good, (soup, not necessarily the hub, haha).  I have a Thai cookbook but for some reason haven't been able to get into the recipes.  It's hard, where I live, to find good ingredients, for one thing.   And, I think my nephew would turn his nose up at lots of the recipes.  He is a very picky eater.  I made a Swiss Olive Gallette (sp?) tonight and he barely ate half a piece before going to the freezer and grabbing a hot pocket!   sad    Good grief!   LOL

1. profile image0

Denise, I would have relished that Swiss Olive Galette! At least he ate half before heading for the hot pocket. You never know what will stick with youngsters; some time in the future your nephew might recall that Swiss olive galette and be inspired to expand his culinary horizons.

Exactly.  He is a very picky eater and I was thrilled the other day when I cooked flounder and he actually ate three helpings !       My swiss olive galette hub is in the tweaking mode right now.  I'll alert you when its back up and running.

3. Danette Watt profile image82
    Danette Wattposted 11 years ago

Mexican and Greek, then Italian. Thai would be way way down on my list

I know sister...(heavy sigh here)   But, I'm with you on the other three.

1. Danette Watt profile image82
        Danette Wattposted 11 years agoin reply to this

smile

4. SoManyPaths profile image59
    SoManyPathsposted 11 years ago

Some cuisines that are hard for to live without are "good" Chinese, Cuban, Mexican, and a few Thai dishes. Notice I put "good" b/c sometimes there are some terrible ones.
    In Houston, there is an incredible Mexican/Cuban drive thru / restaurant with some authentic dishes that I die for. It kind of feels like a Chipotle, with a hip crowd, but with more food selection.
    I cannot leave out American Thanksgiving type food. I just love the seasonal pumpkin or yam dishes, turkey and gravy, stuffing, and other well seasoned dishes. Fortunately, I have kept my weight in check with all the foods I like and crave.

I know what you mean by the 'good' Chinese.  I was just stating to Stessily (a few paragraphs above this one) that so much of the Chinese food I try to eat has been Americanized.  It's disappointing.   

I've never had Cuban food...what is the distinguishing element to their cuisine?   As for the American food-you can't go wrong with an old fashioned American Thanksgiving dinner-unless you're vegetarian; well...then, skip the turkey and go for the yummy veggies, lol     Lucky you re: your weight.  Not so fortunate here.

5. Charu Bhatnagar profile image78
    Charu Bhatnagarposted 11 years ago

India is a very diverse country in every way possible. I love experimenting and tasting new cuisines and new dishes, provided they are pure vegetarian!! (Acc. to me many Indians, maybe a major per centage are pure vegetarian) But, alas....other than major cities of India, not other parts provide this variety of world cuisines, both in matters of outlets and affordability. But Chinese food is very popular in India and this is one cuisine which can be found anywhere other than Indian. In India also, every state has its own special cuisine. But broadly, in restaurants here, its divided into north-Indian and south-Indian cuisine. South-Indian cuisine is easily available in North-India, but I am not much aware of vicer versa position. So, you see, the choices are so much, provided you have the opportunity and means to taste each of the Indian and world cuisines and then make a choice. big_smile I cannot say for all, but on the basis of choices available I love Chinese cuisine and I cannot live without my Indian food. I have so much o write but I am looking at m reply, and all of it despite being too lengthy, doesn't make anys ense. Sorry! :-)

Wow!  You've really brought something to my attention here.  I had no idea that there was a distinction between North and South (regional) dishes.  Of course...I should have realized this because that is how it is in America, too.
      What is the main difference between the two regions?   

I love Indian food (don't know if it is North or South I am tasting and referring to)   I had a housemate who was Indian and he would make wonderfully tasty Indian dishes for us (usually around midnight, lol  )  Thanks for your answer.

1. Charu Bhatnagar profile image78
        Charu Bhatnagarposted 11 years agoin reply to this

In North India, wheat and other flours are used excessively. Thus "chapati/roti" and other varieties like parathas, naan, tandoori roti, rumali roti, missi roti. kulcha, bhatura are predominantly eaten in North India. Whereas in South India rice is more popular. Mughal influence is also seen in North Indian food, thus many North Indians are non-vegetarians. South Indians are mainly vegetarians; but sea-food is popular there; plus Hyderabadi Biryani is another exception. In North Indian food: onion, garlic, tomatoes and ginger are used more and is heavier with oil, butther, ghee, used more. In soth Indian food Coconut is used in making chutneys and various dishes. In North India only tomatoes are used to bring sour taste in food but in South India tamarind is also used in some dishes.In North India many dishes are made out of  dairy products are very popular compared to south India. where these are used unaltered.Staple food of North India is a veriety of lentils, vegetables, roti and rice. There may be varaition in the methods of preparation and dishea according to each state.  Some examples of North Indian food: "chana bhatura; lukcha chana; rajma; paneer (cheese-based) dishes; sarson ka saag, etc. I maybe missing out on naming many dishes as I have not traveleld to each state so!!!Like Rajastha has its own version of using wheat and lentils, etc as food: 'Daal Bati'. Examples of South Indian food: dosa sambhar, vada sambhar, idli sambhar, uttapam. There may also be difference between sweets of each region. As for spices, some regions use a lot of chilli, and for some it may vary with individual tastes. I prefer food withiut chillis, butt eh you cannot escape it completely here. smile

6. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 11 years ago

My absolute favorite ethnic cuisine is Middle Eastern (primarily Lebanese) food.  I grew up in Detroit, of course, which has a very high Middle Eastern population, and there is fantastic Lebanese food available on just about every corner.

big_smile

I grew up in a burb just north of Detroit and I am with you.  There is a great many communities (remember Hamtramick? and Greek Town? )   I enjoy the lamb dishes and other Mid Eastern foods, but Thai is still my favorite.  smile

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh, we still head to Hamtramck one in a blue moon for Polish Food.  My favorite restaurant in Greektown is Pegasus.  But, I'm picky about Greek food, so there are only a few items I truly ever crave.  smile  I was born in the city, just west of Hamtramck actually.  Still have some family that lives there. 

I also like Thai food, though.  And I grew up on Italian food myself, so there's very little there that I don't know and love.

The Pegasus is MY favorite restaurant in Greek town, too!   How cool is that.  I love their baked lamb dish.  Ohhh, mouth is watering now.

1. profile image0
            Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Next time you're up to visit, we'll have to make a date.  smile

Oh, that sounds great.  I thought you had moved or was living in chicago?  Did you move back or am I mistaken?

7. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

I just like food....  all sorts of food from all around the world.

I tend to be less fond of cuisines that focus on huge chunks of meat. In fact, I can feel myself edging back to being vegetarian, or maybe piscatorian, because I do love fish and seafood.

A piscatorian?  Never heard of that term.  Maybe that is what I am ... it is my favorite 'type' of protein.   I'm with you-I LOVE food and love trying all sorts of different things that look fairly normal.   I'm not into the 'let's eat worms' thing, lol

1. profile image0

I'm trying to be a piscatorian while I still can! I haven't gone fishing for quite a while so it's easy to distance myself from their "faces". My sister wrote a series of hubs on North America's freshwater fish, and I became enamored of their beauty. As I noted their stunning differences, I recalled Linda McCartney's observation that she couldn't eat anything with a face on it. My fish-eating days may be numbered, so I make fish a priority, especially in Indian cuisine, but not in Greek cuisine.

Yes...I can relate.  I try not to think of faces, etc.  I'll have to check out your sister's hubs-it sounds fascinating.

8. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Thai is a "treat" for me. Love Thai food. But it's not something we "reach for" as one of our mainstay go-to type restaurants. Fallbacks being Mexican (California has it in spades, from street tacos to haute Mexican) and Italian.
    Also love Indian food -- another special occasion treat.
    Greek is on the list.

Oh, and real Jewish deli. Hard to find out here!

smile  I think I found everything BUT a Jewish deli in California.  lol

1. stayingalivemoma profile image83
        stayingalivemomaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's like that out here in Phoenix too. No good corned beef sandwiches, coney island OR chinese food.

9. stayingalivemoma profile image83
    stayingalivemomaposted 11 years ago

For me, it would be southern food like chitterlings and greens with cornbread.....BUT, I do think I was mexican or italian in another life because I love my pasta and my tacos!!

lol  That's funny!

10. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 11 years ago

as for ethnic....italian is my favourite...as for food - i'm a big seafood fan...i bought 10 lbs of striped shrimp today from a "fisherwoman"; some to eat and some to freeze for when i crave shrimp...next is prawn season!

YUM!   You'll have to check out my seafood salad recipe I posted this summer-to die for.

11. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years ago

(With the caveat that I am a vegetarian, so I don't eat all  the offerings of any cuisine.)  In no particular order, depending on my mood of the moment, I like:

Mexican, Italian, Chinese and Thai.

ut..there are no Thai restaurants near us...in fact, the best one I ever experienced (Thai Pepper) is about 350 miles away, in Ashland, Oregon.  A bit far to go for dinner....  ;-)  That, however, was over 22 years ago..it might not even still be there...

Where are you?  (Thought you lived in FL, haha)   Congrats on your '100 score! )

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
        DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LOL, Denise--you're 'only' about 3K miles off--I live in CA,  in the "Greater SF Bay Area". --i.e. about 60 miles from The City proper... ...    ;-)

Thanks for the kudos!  ;-)

lol   That's funny!  That's where I used to live when I was in CA.  Richmond...and I worked in Berkeley.  Loved it and miss it like crazy.

12. cat on a soapbox profile image94
    cat on a soapboxposted 11 years ago

Food is such a pleasure, and there are just SO many wonderful ethnic dishes that's it's hard to choose. I will have to say good quality Indian food. I just love Tandoori chicken and authentic Indian curry:)

When I lived in Alaska my housemate was from Sri Lanka and I would awaken to the smells of Tandoori chicken cooking in the kitchen at midnight! LOL  Lots of good memories.  You're right- Food is a pleasure.  smile

13. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

Southern, soul food, Gullah, Cajun, and Low Country - especially when seafood is involved! I love Mexican, too.

smile  I love your food web pages.

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!

14. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

New York is the world's capital regarding ethnic cuisine.   Have all kinds of foods, Uzbek, Indian, Russian, Chinese, Cambodian, etc.   You name it, we got it!   However, my #1 favorite cuisine is Japanese.   Love sushi, got to have it almost every day!    Second favorite cuisine is Szechuan Chinese, love it to death!     Also love the standbys of felafel, pizza, fried chicken, caesar's salad, oysters Rockefeller, and steak tartare!   Then there is the good old Nathan's hotdog!

15. braydonmoore profile image58
    braydonmooreposted 11 years ago

My choice is Italian Food because i love Italian dishes like Chicken parmigiana ,  Lasagna , Chicken Saltimbocca , Shrimp fra diavolo. When we have a plan to go for dinner then i will prefer to eat italian foods.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)