How do *you* fight loneliness?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (43 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Beth37posted 11 years ago

Not so much looking for a sermon, just comments on what you personally do to fight the despair of loneliness.

1. Melissa A Smith profile image96
      Melissa A Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

One word: PETS.

2. Joseph Renne profile image48
      Joseph Renneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I occupy my mind with learning another language. This website is free and can be logged in with a facebook account. Its a nice little effective program. www.memrise.com Check it out and learn something new.

1. peeples profile image93
        peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for posting this. I had never heard of it, but just checked it out and I think I'll be spending some time there!

3. renegadetory profile image62
      renegadetoryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just remember that I'm never really alone and that tomorrow is another day!

4. profile image0
      Lybrahposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You have got to force yourself to get out more and do stuff.  I go to the mall just to walk around, without any intention of buying anything.  There are support groups for this and you can find information at your hospital.

5. profile image0
      advicewithspiceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

sometimes that topic may require a sermon.

1. Pearldiver profile image68
        Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And more often than not... it doesn't... it is a Human Condition, as useful as poor advice!  smile

2. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

I write or post on the forums. My dogs are also a lot of company while hubby is at work or in his "man cave."

3. RobertSmith92 profile image61
    RobertSmith92posted 11 years ago

I read a fiction book, and lose myself in another world.

Or I text/ring friends, see what they're up to.

It generally depends on whether I feel existentially lonely, or just pining human contact.

4. expertscolumn profile image66
    expertscolumnposted 11 years ago

I keep my mind active, and self-esteem high through prayer to Jesus. Just 5, 10 min does it for me daily.

5. wqaindia profile image37
    wqaindiaposted 11 years ago

smile Do not hurt *anybody*, confess *your* sins, admit *your* mistakes - and watch what is happening around *you* - express yourself on the web - will keep you smiling and at the top of the world.

6. TheLady111 profile image59
    TheLady111posted 11 years ago

I usually go to youtube or google and pull up info or videos on subjects that I've always wanted to learn about...Im addicted to learning, its a great way to occupy an idle mind. Good luck with that!

1. ARUN KANTI profile image44
      ARUN KANTIposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I usually listen to Rabindra sangeet and classical music and keep glued to
      Hubpages.

7. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

Well, maybe I'm strange, but I don't ever feel lonely although I live by myself and don't have family or friends nearby (I do have four cats though!). Perhaps it is because I value freedom a lot. When I did live with a spouse or partner, I always hated having to adjust my plans and timetable to suit the other person. Perhaps also it is because I am interested in a lot of things and also work a lot, so I never have any "down time" in which to get bored or feel lonely or even watch TV, which I have not switched on for several years. At any moment, I'm either working, doing something I want to do or sleeping!

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

All very interesting answers. Something that jumped out me was several ppl mentioned keeping their minds busy... I spose loneliness is just a state of mind. Hmmm...

It is really only a state of mind.. and not a good one, as it really relates to how one feels about themselves... Check yourself out... if your self esteem is lower than it should be, counter it with a bit more of something that you like about yourself..

Don't allow yourself to get down about things (no matter what) - You need to be Up and at your best if you are going to tackle a problem... even if YOU are the problem.

This is one incredible world.. when you genuinely appreciate that fact.. you don't have time to feel lonely.. but, in saying that, everyone at sometime does feel alone... when you enjoy your own company, no matter what you are doing... you will find that you inspire others and being 'lonely' may actually become more of a wish than a concern! smile

The #1 thing to ensure you create and maintain a positive mind and outlook is:
        'Never, never listen to or take in the words of those who are more negative than yourself!'
        Think about that... and you will see what I mean + you will start noticing the influence that negative people have on you, because they endorse negative thoughts you have... Misery loves Misery!

Good Luck... I hope you don't consider this post to be a sermon.. there is no mention of religion in it at all, other the reference to religiously motivating yourself to feel and live positively!  smile

8. craiglyn profile image53
    craiglynposted 11 years ago

There are still some times since the passing of my husband over two years ago that I feel "just plain lonely".  I have some routines.   I connect with a very good friend twice a week for coffee.  For myself I still attend a "healing steps" grief group at hospice, not really because I need it for grief now, but because it fills a Saturday morning.    I read,  or get busy writing a hub here in hubpages.  I still have a senior mother to visit in a nursing home.  And sometimes in the evening, particularly these short days of winter where darkness sets in early  - if that horrible feeling of loneliness comes over me I do what my husband always did;  I get in the car, pick up a Tim Hortons coffee and go for a drive.   That usually settles me down.

9. craiglyn profile image53
    craiglynposted 11 years ago

And of course I meant to say  that I do what "my husband and I" always did -  LOL.  We did it together go for a drive etc. etc.

10. felix09 profile image58
    felix09posted 11 years ago

Well, there are a couple of things you could do:
    - Visiting old friends
    - Going out to public places
    - Watching television
    - Talking to God

11. profile image0
    Kathryn LJposted 11 years ago

Having lots of hobbies you really enjoy helps and as others have said, pets if you can have them, are great companions, plus they don't judge!  I've had a few times in my life when I was in a situation where I was lonely.  I found doing volunteer work and generally helping others really helped.  I think you've hit the nail on the head, loneliness is a state of mind.  You can be surrounded by people and be lonely.  You need to be comfy 'inside'.  The trick is to find out what works for you, life's too short to spend it being unhappy. smile

12. chicagoguy profile image65
    chicagoguyposted 11 years ago

mostly reading literature or writing and sometimes surfing the web.

13. Dan Barfield profile image73
    Dan Barfieldposted 11 years ago

Loneliness is difficult - something everyone experiences at some point. In the end though it is as you said, a 'state of mind'. Being lonely is a false sense of isolation caused by a wide number of factors that make one feel alienated from people and the world. Many of the suggestions here focus on distracting oneself from the feeling. Personally I would go to the root. If you practice meditation (and I'm talking on a basic scientific psychological not spiritual level) you develop naturally certain faculties of mind for instance compassion and empathy. Now while at first it may seem these mental states are about others - they are actually to do with how you see yourself in relation to others. It lessens perceptual barriers between you and the outside world and feelings of isolation naturally go by the wayside. Anyhoo - that's my ten pennies worth smile

14. profile image0
    Sarra Garrettposted 11 years ago

My dogs are my best friends as I have a hard time trusting people.  I also spend my time writing to help with loneliness.

15. Renee Abbott profile image80
    Renee Abbottposted 11 years ago

A lot of great answers. I experienced loneliness a lot after the death of my husband.  I tried to keep myself busy, but night time always came. One day I decided to 'embrace' being lonely completely, and accepting it as a part of my life. This seemed to get me out of the constant battle to not be lonely. When I did that, I realized what I really did enjoy doing, especially by myself. I also noticed that I wasnt in my head as much, but daily would go out with the purpose to brighten someone's else day. I found hobbies that I can sink into and do them for hours; the interesting part on that was some of them were the same hobbies I did alone when married.

My outlook on life has changed a lot since I embraced that part of me. I love being alone, and on those rare moments when I feel sad because I am feeling lonely, I pay attention to it. It seems to disappear faster when I am embracing verses fighting it. My husband's birthday was Christmas Eve day, this year I was treated to a wonderful surprise. I enjoyed the day, and in the evening I noticed that lead feeling of loneliness was not there.

16. A Driveby Quipper profile image57
    A Driveby Quipperposted 11 years ago

I think of all the horrible mistakes that I have made and the hideous ways I have let people down who loved and believed in me. Then, I think, "I guess I deserve to be lonely."

1. profile image0

Ive spent about 3 years lost inside the internet. I isolated myself... one thing I learned during this time is that almost every one is lonely. Not every one had given up, but some were desperately lonely. I don't have a right to be lonely, I have a family... I just long for love. Im still married to my husband, but I filed for divorce in 2010. I filed, but I didn't set a court date yet. Im just trying to make sure it's the absolute right choice before I make any final decisions... I wasn't walking with God during this time as my heart was broken and I numbed up to the pain. I am trying not to lean on my usual standbys that temporarily eased the emptiness. Im trying to find my way back to God, but it's a process. I know we all have our stories, I hope you don't mind my honesty, Im a very open person. I was just interested in what you each might do to overcome the obstacle of loneliness. Thank you everyone for your input. You were all generous to share, especially your hurts. God bless!

1. A Driveby Quipper profile image57
        A Driveby Quipperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Like you said, "Lost in the internet."

How do you know you aren't online with some grifter doing time in a federal prison and killing time by pretending to be your long awaited soul mate during the internet time he earned for good behavior?"

"Love"?

"Walking with God"?

"Even when we are unfaithful, God remains faithful, since God cannot deny himself." It says somewhere.

In my opinion, we only get glimpses of glory. You can't conjure it up for the cameras. The more absorbed we are in American urban culture and environment, the less our chances of catching a glimpse becomes.

So, you and I touched in a way. Not enough to dispel loneliness, only enough to remind us of the condition.

Then again, you may be a convict in Rayford Prison and you got a big charge out of the exchange.

17. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 11 years ago

I don't so much suffer from loneliness, but occasional boredom. When I was younger I'd often mistake boredom for loneliness, then embark on a relationship which inevitably became very boring!  I've learnt my lessons.

1. profile image0

I find boredom often leads to loneliness... that's another interesting point.

1. profile image0

Apparently this subject was a no no, as it was sentenced to the Siberia of the discussion board. Sorry!

What does that mean?

To keep your threads 'engaging' is usually a good idea and good protocol to reply to all the posters who have taken the time to think about your subject, post and contribute to its longevity... if you don't do so as the OP, or just answer your friends, then people consider it rude and/or a waste of time making the effort to support your subjects.

I guess that's when Siberia comes into the equation? sad
          I don't appreciate being ignored.. do you?
          However, it is one practice that is becoming a 'fun' thing to do others. sad

1. profile image0

No, they moved it to the "emotion" part of the discussion board where the latest thread was posted on 11 months ago. And if you wont be offended, I don't particularly agree as far as the OP answering every post. IMHO when one person makes a whole thread about them, it becomes a bit tiresome. I tend to like to bring up a subject and step out of the way and let it go where it may, but that's just me.

That takes the cake then... when the site is full of bugs... seems priorities are rather subjective also! smile

18. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 11 years ago

The thread title states:  'How do you fight loneliness?
    Down here in the South that more than intimates individual opinions are being sought!  tongue

1. profile image0

I definitely was seeking individual opinions of others... and sharing my own as well... I think the unique ways ppl deal with different issues is a help to every one, especially with a topic so common to mankind. This is a community right? I thought this would be a beneficial subject to all. Im not sure why I feel that Im having to defend myself.

No need to feel defensive because I'm being direct and you maybe haven't taken the point made.. my accent is often too hard for US hubbers to appreciate.. but down here, we say it as it is and don't really pussyfoot around the facts... And appreciate it when that is reciprocal.. It costs nothing to be polite, we believe if people just choose to ignore ya.. then they're the one with the problem... the act says far more about them than it does the person being ignored!  But I also appreciate that lots of people online have little or no ability to lighten up and laugh at themselves if they act like a wally! smile

As the OP... you're right... it's not all about you... But when you ask for opinions and people give them... I believe in most parts of the States that I've been to (40 odd states).. a reply to the individual contributing to one's thread is still regarded as polite... I could be wrong, maybe it's changed since I was last there? sad

I actually thought my original post was worthy of a little more respect, as it contained some pretty solid, tried and true advice... but clearly it wasn't... smile

1. profile image0

I believe my intentions were misunderstood and for that, I apologize. Every answer was appreciated and valuable. I did state that, although not to each individual post. I hope we can move on.

Straight away - we are completely poles apart!  As a writer, I am always amused by how poorly people consider the art of communication.... We are a generation apart here... and you don't want to hear my opinion... Factually - I am correct and even though you stated otherwise, you placed no value on the words given to you!  As a writer, you should if you expect to be something beyond average, completely understand the point I have made here... If you don't then you don't appreciate your reader, as all readers require the writer, to provide a solid and engaging base of communication that is built on the respect of the reader... not the writer!  Understand Y/N... probably N.. sad

Perhaps that's because of the 2 different age groups involved here! 
            The term 'moving on' to me and my age group is a really inappropriate way of communicating with those older than you... because those terms were in MY days in Sales Management used ONLY as a way of handling a difficult objection or person - arrogantly! 
            Your age group use it most frivolously, as if it is the buzziest term that can be used... however, when it is attached to, or used in association with an apology, it effectively removes the genuineness of "I'm Sorry" by turning it into "I'm Not Really Sorry... Phew!"  Understand Y/N/Irrelevant  ?

Perhaps... 'moving on' as a defensive escape of a difficult subject was used perfectly by you, but in the ART of communication... finger-painting is as effective when talking to someone from a different culture!  I'll let you off.... if you don't take offense to what I've said... then you've actually learned a little about improving your writing and communication skills... lol   Enjoy your New Year

1. profile image0

Thank you, you as well.

1. Cordelia Bay profile image60
                Cordelia Bayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think the best way to combat loneliness is to be at peace with your self. At times, when we are alone we tend to beat our self up with thoughts and imaginations....if one is forthright and truthful with one's self...the silence of being by one's self is not so difficult. Thanks. Good luck and Happy New Year!

1. profile image0

And to you.

19. ftclick profile image56
    ftclickposted 11 years ago

There are local groups you can join that have common interests whether it be professional, religion, sports, travel, etc. Meetup comes to mind.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)