my hubs get views but no comment

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (48 posts)
  1. TheShawl profile image64
    TheShawlposted 11 years ago

why is it that my hubs get views but no comment? I have written five hubs with an average hub score of about 69 but have just 1 comment. what do i do?

1. Louise Lately profile image59
      Louise Latelyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would agree with alikhan3 - you would usually only get comments from hubbers. I have a few hubs with zero comments but I'm sure they'll get some sooner or later..as long as you're active on hubpages and interact with users, I'm sure you will get more comments in no time.

2. breakfastpop profile image65
      breakfastpopposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Start reaching out to other hubbers and be patient. This really is a very supportive community, but developing a following takes time.

3. Joseph Renne profile image48
      Joseph Renneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

maybe add a capsule at the end to Encourage your readers to comment

4. profile image0
      Lybrahposted 11 years agoin reply to this

People who are not on Hubpages are not going to be able to leave comments.

1. mattforte profile image87
        mattforteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is absolutely not true. Anybody can just write their name and leave a comment as a guest user.

5. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Think about it.  When you're browsing around the internet, how often do you leave a comment on a blog post or a newspaper article?   Hubs are no different.   Unless you write on a subject that inspires strong views, or attracts people to ask questions, you won't get many comments. 

There is a subset of authors on HubPages who see this site as more of a social network than a place to make money.  For them, it's part of the HubPages experience to comment on each other's Hubs as a method of encouragement.  So you'll garner a lot more comments if you become part of that set - start commenting on other Hubs yourself, and people will reciprocate.   

Just be aware that if your goal is to make money here, you need most of your views to be coming from outside HubPages.  Interact with the HubPages community for fun, interact outside it for income!

+1

2. alikhan3 profile image96
    alikhan3posted 11 years ago

Guest users don't usually comment I also get about 70-80 views daily but comments are rare

3. DrMark1961 profile image95
    DrMark1961posted 11 years ago

How many page views do you have? You will probably not have more than 2%, and that is only if you go to other hubs, read them and make comments. If you do not do this, do not expect many people to comment on your hubs.
    Also, you need to write more to draw more attention.
    Keep at it. In the beginning it is easy to get discouraged.

1. johndnathan profile image73
      johndnathanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree.  The more you interact with the rest of the hubpages community the more likely you'll get comments.  Of course I have times where I like a hub and I vote it up, but I really have nothing to say so I just remain silent.

1. Relationshipc profile image87
        Relationshipcposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Fully agree with this. I got the occasional comments before interacting with other hubbers, but after you start commenting and participating with other people they return the favor by commenting on your hubs.

Also, try asking people to give their input (replace the 'comments' title with the title 'So what do you think about...' or something similar. This may draw in some extra comments. I personally am more willing to answer questions or leave comments if asked for a specific opinion.

2. TheShawl profile image64
        TheShawlposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. it happens to me also. i don't really have comments to make all the time. I'll keep that in mind. thanks a lot.

4. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 11 years ago

I agree with the others here; although I get well over 1000 views per day, almost all my comments on a hub come in the first few days when hubbers are the viewers and not organic searchers.  When the surge from HP promoting the hub on HP dies down, so do the comments.

Topic also makes a huge difference - a hub on replacing a light switch may get a very few questions, clarifications, from readers that's all.  An "opinion" hub on a controversial topic like abortion or gay marriage will see far more.

thanks a lot for this contribution. i didn't really think about the topic aspect. i would definitely try it out.

1. Silva Hayes profile image78
        Silva Hayesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I think the topic makes a huge difference.  My hub about sociopaths has drawn 599 comments, whereas the next one only has 62 and many have 0.  Lots of people have had bad experiences with sociopaths and they have interesting stories to tell about it.

5. profile image0
    Casimiroposted 11 years ago

It's also important, when you do get comments, to acknowledge them. A "thanks for commenting" message is OK, but better if you can key off what the commenter has said to keep a conversation going. Then others are more likely to add their viewpoints.

yeah! that is a good one because it is something i would also like to get. knowing that my comments were not just "wasted" in a way. thanks a lot.

6. profile image0
    Anonymous00posted 11 years ago

Don't beat yourself up over comments that are not in your control. Keep working harder, supporting and participating and that will all come in good time. The problem will fix itself ... keep pushing yourself.

7. CloudExplorer profile image77
    CloudExplorerposted 11 years ago

Comments come to those who are insightful while they have commented onto other users hubs, and also when you write compelling hubs that inspire discussions, debates, interaction, or feedback. Sometimes your best performing hubs will get zero comments as well.

Just don't worry to much, and keep participating as much as you can when ever the time permits to grow a true following here, of fellow hubbers who care to support your writing efforts.

Good Luck, and never forget to have fun as well, it is a major part people tend to forget while being an online writer. Being to serious spoils all the fun.

yeah thanks. i won't forget to always have fun smile and be a little bit patient. thanks a lot.

8. flabergastic profile image60
    flabergasticposted 11 years ago

try adding something like
    what do YOU think about this?
    or
    have you had a similar issue?

9. moronkee profile image71
    moronkeeposted 11 years ago

I think writings more interesting hubs and interacting with other hubbers will help.I am a newbie and am having fun.

10. theodoresumrall profile image57
    theodoresumrallposted 11 years ago

Maybe your hubs content isn't interesting enough!

do you mind checking out my hubs?

11. mattforte profile image87
    mattforteposted 11 years ago

I currently get way more views on New Technology - 2013 than many people see in total, and have a grand total of 13 comments, including my own.

Google brings vews.

Comments bring nothing.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep writing, and focus on getting your hubs ranked in Google, and you will be fine.

thanks

2. profile image0
      Casimiroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The presence of comments, the kind of comments, how current comments are, all of those are factors used by Google to rate content.

seriously? then i need to worry about comments.

TheShawl:
          I've glanced through your hubs. You have chosen decent topics. You are on the right track, doing better than most hubbers in their first 8 weeks do (imho). Keep doing what you're doing and writing about good topics. Don't give up and over time you will learn how to optimize these hubs. Spend time in the learning center, there is a LOT of very good information there. Learn about keyword tools and keyword density (Don't listen to people who claim keyword density doesn't work - this is another of the aforementioned Matt Cutts lies), don't try to use too many different keywords in your articles; select a few "longtail keywords" (Keywords that are 3+ words long) and focus on those in your articles, using them in subtitles.
          Spend some time reading other blogs (Outside of HP), leaving relevant comments with links to your hubs.
          Then spend more time learning and writing.

After you start getting some traffic, use the tools available on HubPages to figure out where your traffic is coming from, then use that knowledge to make your hubs even better. Knowledge will come with time, and you will soon not blink an eye at a lack of comments smile

2. mattforte profile image87

If you want to really get down to it, yes. Google just sees the text. A bunch of comments like "great hub, voted up" do nothing but add irrelevant words and lower keyword density. It also sees "fresh content" but the added fresh content is minimal.

If you are expecting comments to do anything for your SERP, then you have a lot to learn.
        Writing a stellar hub will bring views. If you haven't written a stellar hub and you are on page 37 of Google, but somehow get thousands of comments and Google isn't going to care. If you show up #1 in Google and have 0 comments, then your work is already done.

No, you do not need to worry about comments. You need to worry about on-page SEO and backlinks. (Worry about on-page SEO first)

1. profile image0

Google says that they look at about 200 different factors when ranking. Comments are just one of those. Please define "stellar hub"? And, in terms of Google's PR algorithm, which is a closely held secret. There is plenty of poorly written content that makes it onto page 1 of search results. I'm not saying that we shouldn't pay attention to quality, on the contrary, but there is a lot more to getting on page one than just mastering good writing.

That's funny. I currently have a hub that is ranked #1 for several terms. that particular hub brings in more views in month than all the views you have gotten on your entire account, according to your accolades. That may sound pompous (It isn't meant that way) but stats like that don't lie.
            It was not always ranked #1. As a matter of fact, I was ranked #6 for a term not too long ago. I made some changes (on page SEO), and overnight went to #2.  No, none of these changes had anything to do with comments. My girlfriend and fellow hubber can confirm this. I've also helped several of her hubs rank with nothing but on page SEO.

Yes, there is poorly written content that makes page 1. That is good news. (Hint: it means you can probably outrank them) I'm not going to define stellar hub...HubPages has already done that, and referred to it many times.

What Matt Cutts "says" and what Google actually does are often very different things...so please take that with a grain of salt. That said, I don't care if they look at 1,000 different factors when ranking. You can go ahead and spread yourself thin by worrying about 200 different factors that are all weighted differently - I'll focus on what works.

The "gurus" may have told you there is a lot more to it than getting on page one..but quite frankly, getting onto PAGE one is ridiculously easy - because HubPages does most of the back-end SEO for us. Targeting the right keywords, and writing a stellar, targeted hub WILL get on the first page, unless you are targeting keywords with way too much competition; in which case you are wasting your time. (Unless you are one of the few SEO masters, in which case you wouldn't need to be writing here because you'd be making thousands of dollars daily with your own self hosted content)

Even backlinks are negligible compared to straight up on-page SEO (and URL maturity which there is nothing you can do to alter) if you've chosen the right topics and keywords.

TheShawl - please - do not worry about comments. By listening to anybody who says otherwise, you are only going to be hurting  yourself. Comments will come when they come. Any effort to increase comments will not give you worthwhile return.

1. profile image0

Yes, indeed, you do seem to have a chip on your shoulder. If that sounds pompous, it's not meant to be.

You made the comment "Comments bring nothing." Which is simply not true. I didn't use the word "worry", Shawl did. I never said that comments were a deal breaker for SEO, just that they are a factor that is counted.

You seem to be reading stuff into what others say. At least it gave you the opportunity  to brag. Nice work.

2. mattforte profile image87

Yes. I got a chance to brag. Because I am trying to help somebody not waste time on something that is a waste of his time. Your comments got him to say "so I should worry about comments" which is simply not true.
          My "bragging" is to show that I have numbers to back up my comments. I have something to offer and you are arguing, almost guiding TheShaw into wasting time on something that will only help him get discouraged later. I have a chip on my shoulder because while there are a few people in this community that help others...there are a LOT of people who offer "advice" that hold the community back...such as misguiding them into thinking they should be going out trying to gain comments rather than actually trying to rank. It is a justified chip.

I "brag" to make sure TheShaw listens to the right person...in hopes that he succeeds as an author.

12. Organised Kaos profile image89
    Organised Kaosposted 11 years ago

Thanks for asking a question that I also had!

you are welcome. hope you get useful answers

13. Miller2232 profile image60
    Miller2232posted 11 years ago

The only thing to do is be patient and keep writing.

14. kohuether profile image63
    kohuetherposted 11 years ago

I didn't get comments at first, either. Once I started participating in the community is when the comments started coming. You'll get some comments in no time!

15. TheShawl profile image64

Thanks for this comment. It is really detailed and encouraging.

16. TheShawl profile image64

17. TheShawl profile image64

18. TheShawl profile image64

19. Saloca profile image89
    Salocaposted 11 years ago

The more active you are in the community the more comments you will see being left on your hubs. Use the hopper to discover new hubs and leave constructive advice and encouragement. Follow hubbers and comment on their new hubs, take part in forum discussions and challenges. It's all about being an active member of the hubbing community. You need to go knocking on hubs with a cookie basket!

alright. that should be very useful. thanks

20. iguidenetwork profile image56
    iguidenetworkposted 11 years ago

Try to reply as many hubs as possible, this would most likely do to you favorably... hubbers whose articles you've replied will do the same for you too. Have a good day. smile

thanks a lot for that contribution. i will definitely try it out.

1. kingkos profile image59
        kingkosposted 11 years agoin reply to this

sometimes if people try to reply in my article i do reply in their article too ofcourse i read it 1st smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)