The "Magic Formula" to Increase Hub Page Views?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (57 posts)
  1. Jonas Renfold profile image60
    Jonas Renfoldposted 12 years ago

Does anyone know the magic formula to increasing page views. Here is what I am looking at for averages over all of my accounts and hubs.

Monthly Views:  17 Per Hub
    Ad Program Earnings Per Page view:  .005 (half a penny)
    Adsense and Amazon Revenue: Negligible, not calculated.

So, this means if went to work like a mad man and wrote 500 new hubs a month.....

After 1 month I would get 8500 page views and earning $42.50
    After 2 months I would get 17,000 page views and earning $85
    After 6 months I would get 51,000 views and earn $255
    After a year I would get 102,000 views and earn $510
    After 5 years I would get 510,000 views and earn $2500

See what I mean? I gotta figure out a way to get views per month per hub up. If I could get at least 100 views per month per hub I WOULD go to work like a mad man. Also, don't say backlinks is the answer because I have several hubs that have 50 or so links to them and they don't perform significantly better than those without links.

Any ideas anyone?

1. Garrett Mickley profile image79
      Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You may have 50 backlinks but are they good backlinks?  50 good backlinks may not be enough if the subject is a highly competitive one.

I have 5 hubs that have received over 100 hits in the last 30 days.  2 of those have NO backlinks (at least not ones that I built. I don't know if other people are talking about them and spreading them around). One of them, the most successful of them (over 500 views in the last month) has backlinks built through a signature on ONE forum that I am active on anyway, so I'm building the backlinks at no extra effort (I have a hub on how to do this if you're interested). The second most popular one has a few backlinks I built but less than 10 (maybe lss than 5).  The 4th most popular of them has a somewhat decent backlinking campaign but is competitive which makes it difficult.

My point is, backlinking DOES help.

Keep writing, keep backlinking.  Make your content good, and your backlinks good.

1. Sinea Pies profile image62
        Sinea Piesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What is the title of your back linking hub?  I am interested!

It's called "How To Get Backlinks - How To Find Forums For Backlinks" and I have a link to it on my Profile page.

2. KyleBear profile image58
      KyleBearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Write unique, exclusive and more hubs is the only way. There is no magic formula.

3. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Magic formula, you do want your cake and to eat it- When you first come here to write you think I only have to write a half decent story to make it to the top of google.

But then you hear words mentioned in the forums you haven't heard before like, Keywords and on page optimization, seo and your heart drops because you think you have missed the boat so to speak.
      Being able to write a story in good English with no grammatical errors is only half way there. You must find out what people are searching for, to do this you need help to find the right keywords. I would use Market Samarai, it not only gives you the kw'ds you want, it tells you how competitive they are, how relevant they are, and what advertisers are prepared to pay.
      Once you have this sussed out you need to learn about what IzzyM called on-page optimization or as thisisoli said seo. That is a whole new ball game which will take you time and effort to succeed in. Only when you have some success with these will your numbers begin to rise.

4. sonykuddi profile image40
      sonykuddiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The calculation is good, but its too hard for getting me traffic/visitor to my hubs, as I have only two published HUB.
      I think it is only possible when we write quality a HUBS and stay active on regular basis.

Back link is definitely  helpful for getting more and more visitor.

Now I am in learning stage of posting good quality HUB in hubpages

2. thisisoli profile image69
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

You are asking for help on a huge dubject. Research SEO. If there was an easy way to get traffic, everybody online would be millionaires. Instead there is a huge amount of competition that you have to beat.

3. psycheskinner profile image85
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

The only sure formula is to write more hubs.

Or unicorns.

Unicorns are a sure-fire way.

1. Greg Sage profile image40
        Greg Sageposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but how many?

Need specifics.

Depends on the competition you're up against.

Check Google and see how many unicorns your competition has.  You can do this by using unicorns:URL

For example:
          "unicorns:hubpages.com" (without quotes) shows that hubpages has over 9000 unicorns.

I actually wrote a hub about this, you can check it out as my most recent one.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
          Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Impossible to say.

I have one Hub which has earned $300 in two years.  I have other Hubs which have earned $3 in two years.  The rest of my Hubs are on a continuum in between.

Being a successful writer on the internet, on HubPages or anywhere else, is not just about writing.  It's about learning SEO, how to promote your work, how to use the keyword tool and other resources to find the right subjects, how to use images and videos legally to enhance your articles, and so on.

And all the backlinks in the world won't help an article if it's about a subject nobody is looking for.

If you're serious about earning money, sign up for a free trial with Market Samurai, take a month off writing, and spend the trial period watching ALL the videos and working with their software.

If that sounds too much like hard work, you may as well give up now, because making a living online is hard work!

1. IzzyM profile image87
            IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Great post Marisa! I too agree 100% that Market Samurai is an indispensable tool if you want to make the most from your hubs. It will also explain more about those four basic rules I mentioned above, and you can check that your own hubs or sites are fully optimized, as well as a million other things, like checking out keyword competition.

I would also recommend that you buy MS when the free trial is up as you get to buy it at a special price.

Even if you uninstall and reinstall, you will not get a second free trial and will have to pay full price if you later change your mind.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
              Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Izzy, personally I didn't buy Market Samurai after the free trial - but by that time, I'd decided that I wanted to write about dance, regardless of the fact there were no lucrative keyword choices in that field!  I'm lucky that I'm not totally reliant on my online earnings to live, so I was able to make that choice.

4. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

Or offer free chocolate. smile

5. psycheskinner profile image85

chocolate unicorns, but only one (they fight).

6. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

I think that you really need a 'time machine' and travel back six months or more.

7. psycheskinner profile image85

You can never have too many unicorns.

But seriously, it is about long tail these days.  One of my top hubs is about unicorn costumes, go figure. 

I just try stuff out and stuff the bombs I never do again, stuff that gets hits I do more variations of it.

I've been told Google will, in fact, punish you for having too many unicorns.

1. recommend1 profile image61
        recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am now seriously concerned about the unicorn issue - if I have more than one will I be penalised by HP if they link to others through the feed ?

HP has issued no statements but I believe they will penalize your hubs if they think you have been using spamming techniques to acquire more unicorns.

2. Sinea Pies profile image62
      Sinea Piesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Psycheskinner, how do you go about creating your longtails?  I can locate keywords but what techniques can be used to stretch it into an effective longtail title?

8. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

The first thing you want to look at is on page optimization before you even look at backlinking or anything else.

I wrote a hub about it recently that explains in simple terms how to write a hub that is optimized for search engine traffic, though I probably didn't say enough about keyword usage throughout the hub, because that is subject to a wide range of differing opinions.

Basically, if you can get just four things the same in your hub with your keywords, and that is title, URL, summary (the meta description tag) and heading then your hub stands a better chance of getting traffic from the word go.

If you don't believe me, try changing an existing hub and watch the traffic appearing like magic.

1. Jonas Renfold profile image60
      Jonas Renfoldposted 12 years agoin reply to this

These are all great suggestions guys..this is just what I was looking for...thanks

2. thejeffriestube profile image61
      thejeffriestubeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Izzy, I just went back a did a few like you said. Wow. You know you're stuff.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Did you just go on to subdomains too, at around the same time? Subdomains have been increasing nearly everybody's traffic, as far as I'm aware. But yes on page optimization is really important.

1. thejeffriestube profile image61

I did just go to subdomains, and it's been a steady climb. I've noticed that using your advice, plus doing the proper SEO from the get go is really a recipe for greatness. My advice is to other Hubbers is to get yourself a system of doing a Hub, write it down, and when it works, do it the same way everytime.

1. IzzyM profile image87

I am really pleased to hear you are seeing results. I was here six months and not making any progress despite reading all the SEO hubs from the experts here.
            Then I downloaded Market Samurai, and followed its advice, and my traffic rocketed.
            You don't need to go to the expense of buying software if you know what you are doing (which I didn't), but I was surprised that no-one had told me how following this simple procedure could make such a massive difference. I am happy to pass this knowledge along, and appreciate that you have come back to the forum to tell us all that it worked for you too smile

1. thejeffriestube profile image61

Anytime! I think my stay at Hubpages is going to be a long one now.

9. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

I just want ONE unicorn.  Surely someone can show me a safe way to get one without being google slapped...

1. recommend1 profile image61
      recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why would any experienced unicorn owner just pass on this kind of information, when you have a few hundred pointless hubs and a few websites all backlinked properly the unicorns will come of their own accord.  Spamming and black hat techniques to achieve this level will probably result in your being banned by HP and the exact opposite from Google as in most other cases recently.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
        PaulGoodman67posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I link my unicorn together with black hats, then grind up their horns and drink them in a special tea.  As a result I have seen a 20% increase in my hub traffic views.

10. profile image0
    JacksBlogsposted 12 years ago

What is a unicorn?  What the hell are you talking about?  Is this a joke or is a "unicorn" a name for some technique or link that is real?  Come one give me a break here!

1. IzzyM profile image87

It's a mythical animal - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicorn

[sorry, couldn't resist!]

11. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 12 years ago

You need to learn SEO (search engine optimization), Jack.  There is info at the HP learning centre.  I also have hubs on the topic and a hub that links to the best hubs by others (imho).

I think the phrase "magic formula" is why people chuckled and had a bit of fun!  ;-)

1. joba1984 profile image58
      joba1984posted 12 years agoin reply to this

You have to actively participate in the forums etc to get a good hub score and of course keep adding good, unique relevant content. You need to become part of the community to be rewarded

1. IzzyM profile image87

Says the man with one hub and one post in 17 months!

1. Richieb799 profile image76
          Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

LMAO

1. kmackey32 profile image65
            kmackey32posted 12 years agoin reply to this

He may have another account and he is right...

1. IzzyM profile image87

Having a good hubscore has very little to do with how much traffic your hubs get.
              Properly keyword researched hubs that reach their target audience can bring in thousands if not millions of views without the author ever participating in the social side of HP.

1. Richieb799 profile image76
                Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Very true, my hub traffic is up today and for some reason my hubscore is the lowest its been for probably 6 months

1. kmackey32 profile image65
                  kmackey32posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yea and I have a good hubscore and my traffic sucks...lol

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
                    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have a better score and I bet my traffic is worse than yours.

12. RooBee profile image82
    RooBeeposted 12 years ago

500 hubs a month? I just wanted to say daaaaaaaaang! That's all. Back to my chalkboard. Working on the formula..tweaking my calculations to include unicorn data..
    P.S. Paul Goodman, if you use a green hat you'll see better results. Also, try to grind under the waning autumn moon.

13. rex michaels profile image79
    rex michaelsposted 12 years ago

Hello everyone, excellent forum, great info a newbie like myself needs.  Thanks to all

14. successfulblogger profile image60
    successfulbloggerposted 12 years ago

I agree with the idea of how profit cam increase excep your impressions would go down.

15. successfulblogger profile image60
    successfulbloggerposted 12 years ago

Sorry about the typos

16. RedElf profile image89
    RedElfposted 12 years ago

No - sorry...it's still chocolate unicorns - but remember, dark chocolate has more flavinoids, so they're better for you, regardless of what Google says big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

17. seamist profile image60
    seamistposted 12 years ago

There is no magic formula. The only formula I know is constantly learning and hard work.

1. viryabo profile image95
      viryaboposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Short, sweet and on point. smile

2. profile image0
      TopUniverseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, keyword research, good quality content and hard working will do the trick.

18. truthfornow profile image71
    truthfornowposted 12 years ago

Thank you for the tip to do a summary for every hub.  It was one of the things I was missing.  When I went back and put a summary for a few of my hubs, I noticed that traffic started to go up right away.  Thanks.

19. rumanasaiyed profile image74
    rumanasaiyedposted 11 years ago

It was a good point of discussion..

20. Patricia Di profile image59
    Patricia Diposted 11 years ago

Excellent point.  Hadn't actually looked at it in those terms.  I'm putting on my thinking cap.

21. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 11 years ago

Looking for help in a post that is 18 months old is surely not the best way to go about things. Lots can change very quickly in online writing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)