Putting my HUBS on my own website too.

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (41 posts)
  1. Mr Remodeler profile image60
    Mr Remodelerposted 11 years ago

Is it wise to copy my hubs onto my business website?

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

As per ToS, Hubs must be unique content--so no.

1. GinnyLee profile image88
      GinnyLeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Are you sure?  While it might not be recommended, I don't think they taking action against people who have duplicate copies of their hubs out there.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
        MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You risk unpublication.  I've seen it happen.

1. tiffanyz profile image61
          tiffanyzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why would they do that; it is your own work. If you are not making any money on Hubpages , then you should be allowed to  place your hubs on your own website.

You can put your work anywhere you like... as long as it isn't on HP as well.

Google penalizes duplicate content.  So if it's more than one place, then likely you won't be making any money either of those places.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image91
            Rochelle Frankposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are totally free to remove them ( especially if you think they are not doing well) and place them elsewhere. You can also put links on your own site or blog, leading to your hubs without causing a duplication problem.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this
  3. GinnyLee profile image88
    GinnyLeeposted 11 years ago

What am I missing then?  I flagged hubs with duplicate content on the internet and HP said that they don't unpublish hubs because they can't prove that the other articles were published first.  Therefore, there is no action taken.

So what's to stop any one of us from copying our own articles to other sites?  HP has said that they won't take action on them.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image58

They said on hubs over a year old or so.

You can try I suppose... but if you get unpublished here, you aren't going to pass the dupe check to republish unless you take the other down and wait for google to unindex it.

I'm not sure why you would want to create a situation where google is going to slap both articles just to prove a point.. but it's your traffic... have at it.

Melissa,  the hub in question was published more than a year ago, but Paul said that if it isn't caught when it's new, it's usually not actionable.

But it does make me wonder why there is a flag for "duplicate content"...

psychskinner - you are right that the article states that duplicate content is prohibited, but Paul's clarification makes it seem that this is only an issue if the hub was a copy of something else already published.

I use the flag for dupe when I find one in the hopper. So it's got a purpose there.

Like I said, go ahead and try it out. *shrugs*

4. psycheskinner profile image83

The fact that they have some areas of tolerance, at their discretion, doesn't change the basic requirement that hubbers don't deliberately post duplicate content.

I can't agree more...sadly, I have flagged hubs that were copied extensively (even the copies had the same username as the hubber on other sites) but aren't removed for those same reasons.

I also see no benefit in copying them if google devalues them.

5. NateB11 profile image89
    NateB11posted 11 years ago

My understanding was that you couldn't publish a piece on HP if it had already been published elsewhere on the Net, but after you've published it on HP then you can do what you want with it. Only thing is Google has some problems with duplicate content but I've heard this is generally exaggerated. After all, there'd be no syndication at all if not for duplicate content. Duplicate content is like the bogey man!

1. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Here's what Google says about syndication: "Syndicate carefully: If you syndicate your content on other sites, Google will always show the version we think is most appropriate for users in each given search, which may or may not be the version you'd prefer. However, it is helpful to ensure that each site on which your content is syndicated includes a link back to your original article. You can also ask those who use your syndicated material to use the noindex meta tag to prevent search engines from indexing their version of the content." http://support.google.com/webmasters/bi … swer=66359

6. psycheskinner profile image83

I think the Hubpages learning center is clear enough. 

"Duplicate content is not permitted on HubPages."

7. GinnyLee profile image88
    GinnyLeeposted 11 years ago

If that were the case, many of us would have issues because content thieves stole our stuff. How does HP tell the difference between that and intentionally publishing copies of a hub?  It may not be allowed, but can it be enforced?

Most of the time they can tell it's the same author.  So yes, they can pull for dupe content if they know the other site belongs to you as well. Go necro-mining in past threads, they can and have done it.  You will find people bitching about it in several threads.

Edit, nevermind.  You seem to want to win this one... so once again have at it.  Post wherever you want.

Melissa, no one wins this. Letting abusive copying stay on HP hurts everyone. Psyche is right that policy prohibits it.  It should be enforced strictly.

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
          SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ginny Lee, I think why HP allows some duplicate material to remain is because if the content is old, HP can't prove who put it up first and is rightly the owner. So as much as they don't want duplicate content, they're not going to take down a writers' article unless they are positive the writer copied it.

What if a spammer copied something of mine, but it went unnoticed for a year or two. What if one day someone did notice, and flagged my original article as duplicate. So then HP makes me take MINE down? That's not right -- I am the original author of the piece. However, because all this occurred so long ago, it cannot be determined who wrote it first. These are the ones that are allowed to remain.

8. KEckerle profile image60
    KEckerleposted 11 years ago

This is interesting.  Because HP is no longer paying prize money out unless one ties complies with a ton of things (like polls) that I don't want to deal with, I'm considering setting up a new blog on my current business blog for content related to my recent posts.  However, I don't really want to remove myself completely from HP.

Not sure what to do at this point.  Just posted something which might well have gone on the website of the rescue group I work with. 

If I reword some of the content, will it be allowed on both HP and my blog?

LOL, that's actually called link building and it's not only acceptable but in many cases encouraged.  Just make sure the two articles are markedly different and link one of them to the other... which ever one you want to be your primary link to.

9. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 11 years ago

From what I know as long as the article is published on Hub pages first, then I can post it some where else at a later date. However, in the eyes of Google, they may identify it as duplicate and thus devaluate your site as well as the hub's too (sub-domain).
    With that said, I am not an expert on the subject and my opinion is based on experience.

10. Shravan Picsonia profile image58
    Shravan Picsoniaposted 11 years ago

If you want to have AdSense on one of your websites then you will not able to achieve it. It's against the policies of Google! So I think it's not recommended to have two sites with similar content...

11. Astra Nomik profile image63
    Astra Nomikposted 11 years ago

I publish my writing on Hub Pages only. I also have a website and blog, but I don't duplicate my writing on blogs, sites or on any other platforms. The search engines penalise anyone doing this, and people risk having adsense accounts being made void and income or revenue cancelled or withdrawn.

The simple solution is to keep your original writing in one place. You may however, split your writing into different subjects or themes and put future writing (non-hub writing) on another platform, blog or site that earns an income from ads, including Adsense. A website or blog can add other information, media or writing that for your own reasons - don't want to show or publish on Hub Pages.

Having duplicates of the same writing on different sites where Google Adsense is concerned is just inviting trouble. Weebly, Wordpress and Blogger all offer free blogs and Blogger and Weebly is Adsense ready. Use your Hub Adsense code to carry on earning from original writing in other places.

Hub Pages has a great set of features and it is a great community of writers already. I wish you well in your writing endeavors.

1. KEckerle profile image60
      KEckerleposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.  I don't participate in AdSense so I'm not sure why there would be a problem.

1. spartucusjones profile image92
        spartucusjonesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You may not participate in AdSense but many on the site do. By allowing duplicate content on the site Hubpages Google ranking suffers, and everyone as a whole suffers. But you don't have to publish your articles on Hubpages. If you prefer to have that content on your website you can unpublished it on Hubpages and do so.

12. spartucusjones profile image92
    spartucusjonesposted 11 years ago

Hubpages is pretty clear on duplicate content, and without unpublishing it you can not publish your hub on another website. That being said you can sell your hubs to print publications and there would be no issue. I know this because I did sell one of my hubs, and I made sure that I cleared it with Hubpages first so that I wasn't violating their duplicate content policy. I was told that their duplicate content policy does not apply to print publications. Along as I don't publish the same content on another website it is all good.

13. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 11 years ago

Because ORIGINAL CONTENT is what the requirement is on HP, not publish it here, then make a copy to put on a blog, and then on your website.     Do it, and you run the risk of losing your HP account.   If you want to reuse a hub, you  have to unpublish it first.

1. KEckerle profile image60
      KEckerleposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What I wonder is how can they limit you to original content and not allow you to publish it on your own website/blog IF they are not paying you for it.  I've written for publications for many years and in the majority of cases, they could not impose limits if they were not paying you.  I could understand it back when HP was paying -- or at least giving out prize money.  But I wonder about it now.

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
        SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is because it is their site and that is what they want -- original articles that are not published elsewhere on the web. It is their site and they made the rules for it. When you created an account here, you acknowledged that you would follow their terms of service.

This particular rule HP has helps protect writers here and the site in general from being downgraded by Google. Google will slap us down if HP is filled with duplicate content. We want to be rated by Google as high as possible.

2. spartucusjones profile image92

If you are referring to being published in print publications, then that is a totally different animal than online websites. Print publications are not affected by Google ratings. That is why Hubpages will allow to publish your hubs in print publications.

They also don't claim ownership of your hub. You can publish your hub wherever you want as long as it is not published on Hubpages. If you choose to publish it on Hubpages you choose to respect their duplicate content policy. Even though they do not pay you directly, their duplicate content policy does help the Google ranking of your sub domain which can affect your ad revenue. So ultimately their duplicate content policy is to your benefit.

14. lovebuglena profile image86
    lovebuglenaposted 11 years ago

If you copy your hubs to your business website your hubs will most likely be flagged for duplicate content and may be unpublished. It doesn't matter that you, the author, are copying your own hubs elsewhere. You will be penalized and I would assume that if you copy many of your hubs and publish them elsewhere that you may be banned from HubPages altogether. No point in taking that risk. You can, however, include links to your hubs on your business website.

15. lovebuglena profile image86

I am not a happy camper after hearing that HubPages doesn't take any action against our hubs being stolen by others and published elsewhere on the web. And I can't believe that we have no protection for the content we publish on HubPages. Seems anyone can steal our stuff and publish it anywhere they want under their own name and it's fine. That is not right.

Hubpages doesn't take action because you own the copyright not hubpages. But you can fill out DCMA. I had to fill out a whole bunch of them recently to have copied content of mine removed. It is a pain, but unfortunately there is not too much that Hubpages can do to stop it. Also for interest sake here is the DCMA removal of content link:
      http://support.google.com/bin/static.py … amp;ctx=go

16. lovebuglena profile image86

I am wondering if any of my hubs were copied and published elsewhere. How would I go about finding that out?

I use Copyscape: http://www.copyscape.com/. The free service where you enter your website, I don't find very useful, because it shows a number of other pages from Hubpages which share some similar features. I pay for the premium service which for $10 gets me 200 searches. You can paste any or all text from your Hub and it will show any sites that contain matching text. It shows percentage of duplication and you can see specifically what has been duplicated.

I also find this tool useful when composing original content. It will let me know if my content is too similar to other content online. Also if you use quotes, you will get an idea of how many sites use that same quote. It can help to keep your content unique.

17. ytsenoh profile image61
    ytsenohposted 11 years ago

I have a hub that is published on another site, but not by me.  It was copied word for word and image for image.  I was made aware of it by another hubber, Kim Cantrell, who also had material that was "unpublished" copied.  As a deterrent, I definitely recommend Copyscape, plus you can incorporate their logo onto your hub as well.

18. profile image0
    Lynn S. Murphyposted 11 years ago

What I do is throw a teaser out on my blog with a link to my hub to entice my blog readers to my hubs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)