Notice anything about these names?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (110 posts)
  1. Barefootfae profile image60
    Barefootfaeposted 11 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7818858_f248.jpg
    They all have the initial for Donkey next to them.
    Always makes me think of Pinocchio and what happened to the boys in that movie that hung out with the wrong crowd.

1. Josak profile image60
      Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Seriously the conspiracy nuts are still up on this one? The treaty in no way affects gun rights in the US, it is simply an attempt to prevent those guns being used for crimes overseas.

1. profile image0
        JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We agree!

2. Jeff Berndt profile image71
      Jeff Berndtposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lord Monckton once told a similar lie about the Copenhagen treaty in '09.

Like the Copenhagen Treaty, the idea that this small arms treaty would affect US law or the 2nd Amendment in any way is preposterous.

2. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 11 years ago

The Arms Treaty would not threaten our gun rights in any way, and I'm a huge gun-right supporter.

1. profile image56
      Education Answerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

JaxsonRaine,

I hope you are right, but I'm reading an article in "American Rifleman" right now.  The article was written by Wayne LaPierre, and it clearly does not agree with your statement.  In fact, LaPierre quoted Ambassador Bolton in an NRA interview, "The administration is trying to act as though this is really just a treaty about international trade between nations, but there's no doubt. . .that the real agenda here is domestic firearms control."

"The First Step in Trampling our Rights"

1. profile image0

I read the treaty. The treaty recognizes the laws of the countries, so the only way the treaty would impact private ownership would be if the US made private ownership illegal. It does nothing.

2. Zelkiiro profile image88
        Zelkiiroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why would you ever take anything LaPierre says seriously? He and his organization are a joke, and anyone who claims they have a need to own more than 3 guns...it's overkill. You seriously don't need more than that.

1. profile image0

Edit your post, you just insulted members of this forum.

2. profile image56

You're right.  I do not need that many.  I choose to have that many.

3. Jeff Berndt profile image71

He and his organization are a joke,
          While I agree that the NRA has pretty much become a mockery of what it was founded to be, it's a mistake to dismiss it as a joke. The NRA is politically powerful and has unrestricted access to most lawmakers. And those lawmakers listen to them, for good or ill.

4. profile image0
          Dan Bristolposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't need more than three guns? Gee, I'm glad you're out there to decide these things FOR me. Say.....howsabout you come and take my guns? I dare ya!

3. Cody Hodge5 profile image69
        Cody Hodge5posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Propaganda much?

1. profile image56

Your statement is just as bad.  Dismissing LaPierre's statement just because he is LaPierre is like dismissing a post because of a misspelling or dismissing something important Rand Paul said just because he's Rand Paul.  You have to listen to the message and determine if it is true.  Josak and I disagree on pretty much everything, but I have agreed with some of his statements; I've even agreed with some things the POTUS has said. I do not discount what is said based solely on the source.  I look at the meaning, something you need to do before drinking the anti-LaPierre propaganda. 

This one is true.  If you think it's propaganda, prove your point instead of making short, meaningless statements.  I'm stunned.

1. Cody Hodge5 profile image69

I dunno, it seems even worse on your part to not even consider your source before declaring that the sky is falling.

1. profile image56

I dunno either.  I did consider the source.  Are you going to prove your point?  Prove that it's a false statement and that it's propaganda.  Can you do that?  It's easy to say something is false because of the source.  Prove your point.  I'm guessing that LaPierre knows more about the topic than you do.

Kool-aid much?

You don't see why I'm skeptical of the guy who runs the NRA saying that something may infringe on the rights of people to carry arms even when it doesn't? Hmmmm.....why would he possibly say something like that? Could it be that he has some agenda or perhaps an interest to promote?

But...just to end this real quick.

From the treaty itself..

...the exclusive right of States to regulate internal transfers of arms and national ownership, including through constitutional protections on private ownership.”

1. profile image56

You don't get it.  I don't want some foreign entity putting my name on a list.  Don't you see how wrong that is?  I am not saying that this is about gun control.  I'm saying that this might just be about making gun-ownership lists.  I am adamantly opposed to that, because it is the first step in a confiscation process.

2. profile image56

Of course he's biased.  Does that mean he's wrong?  You assume that he's wrong, because he's biased?  That means everybody is wrong.  We're all biased when it comes to certain topics.  Are we all wrong?  Statements need to be evaluated based on their merit.  When you discount somebody's statements because they may be biased, you yourself are biased.

Can you prove he's wrong?

1. profile image0

How many times do people need to quote from the treaty to prove that he's wrong?

"Reaffirming the sovereign right and responsibility of any State to regulate and control conventional
                    arms exclusively within its territory, pursuant to its own legal or constitutional systems,

Mindful of the legitimate trade and lawful ownership, and use of certain conventional
                    arms... where such ownership and use are permitted and protected by law."

The treaty says the each State has the sovereignty to regulate intra-state guns. This only applies to international imports and exports.

It also recognizes private ownership and use of guns.

The fact that Wayne's biased helps him along the path to being wrong, but bias by itself isn't enough to conclude that he's wrong.

The fact that he's making up stuff about the treaty that isn't in the treaty is what's making him wrong in this case.

Some people will believe darn near anything, especially if they really want it to be true or if they're afraid it might be true.

2. The Frog Prince profile image71
      The Frog Princeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Would you care to prove your statement?

1. profile image0

Search for it, I've posted before, it's no big deal. Read the text, where it recognizes the laws of each country in regards to private use and ownership. By definition, the treaty cannot override a country's laws, nor does it attempt to.

1. The Frog Prince profile image71

Any infringement on this nation's sovereignty is a BIG DEAL.  It becomes like eating an elephant.  Research that one...

The Frog Prince

1. profile image0

What infringement?

Research it.

1. profile image0

I have, I didn't see any infringement.

I saw a treaty that, rather than infringing on sovereignty, recognizes and yields to it.

Have you read the treaty?

Yes.  Have you?  Now I suppose in your mind Agenda 21 isn't infringement either?  Have you read the US Constitution?  I doubt it seriously by your statements.

1. Josak profile image60

Ah it's hilarious, on one hand the sane pro gun conservative, on the other... well Frog Prince tongue

"reaffirms the sovereign right and responsibility of any state or nation to regulate and control transfers of conventional arms that take place within it's own territory pursuant to it's own legal or constitutional systems"

Which you would know if you had actually read it.

Basically the treaty itself stats it CANNOT have any effect on gun ownership, regulation or trade inside the US, but no amount of facts or reason will stop the loons from inventing conspiracy theories.

2. Cody Hodge5 profile image69

Actually, its not.....unless your enjoy reading propaganda.

3. profile image0
      Dan Bristolposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Now I expect you to tell make what make and model of guns you own.

1. profile image0

Prepare to be disappointed.

The guns that I do or do not have have nothing to do with what the treaty actually says.

3. profile image56
    Education Answerposted 11 years ago

"The treaty would require member states to monitor cross-border trade of those weapons and establish what amounts to a universally accepted system of background checks on the recipients."

"The N.R.A. also contends that the requirements of record-keeping open the door to a national registry of guns in the United States, which the group opposes."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/18/world … .html?_r=0

I am opposed to this treaty.

1. profile image0

Have you read it?

4. Marsden4 profile image82
    Marsden4posted 11 years ago

Are you aware of what the Arms Trade Treaty is for?
    Are you familiar with how international law works in relation to the United States constitution?

5. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 11 years ago

Knowing the views and opinions of some of those involved in this thread, I have to say this is probably the most surreal experience I could have had this morning.

I'm wondering if I just need more coffee or if I suffered a stroke during the night.

I agree with both JaxsonRaine and Josak.  Which is a sentence I don't believe I've ever typed before.

1. Josak profile image60

tongue

2. profile image0

lol

You have to ignore simple fact, plain words, to think that the Treaty is a threat to 2A rights. Even I'm not willing to go that far smile

1. Credence2 profile image79
        Credence2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Jaxson, my admiration to you for daring to stand in opposition to right wing thinking that could care less about the facts .that has been explained by both you and Josak.  They would rather recite from the playbook.  Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble are busy taking issue with something they never took the time to read, brilliant!... I will do better to give you the benefit of the doubt in future forums as someone who can actually put the truth before the playbook?

1. profile image0

Thanks, despite what some think I do try to be objective. I don't even know a single 'official' party platform, because I'm either for something cause I think it's right, or against it because I think it's wrong.

Not for it because 'conservatives are currently for it'.

I appreciate it.

2. profile image56

I have been reading it, and I still disagree.  I don't need an international playbook.  I don't need to be put on a list, because I purchased a foreign-made gun. 

Who is going to keep this list?
          Why do they need a list?

1. profile image0

You're not going to be on a list. The treaty only applies to international imports and exports. If you become a licensed gun importer, then your company would be on the list, true. But nobody you sell to. They just want to stop the people who are selling guns to terrorist organizations and drug cartels.

Besides, there are already records about imports and exports, it's not that big of a deal.

Why don't you, or anyone else who thinks this is such a bad thing, just QUOTE FROM THE TREATY?

I've never seen a SINGLE person who doesn't like the treaty actually quote the part they don't like. All they do is link to what someone else is saying about the treaty.

1. junkseller profile image78
              junksellerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You need the magical NRA decoder ring to see the invisible text that is hidden in the treaty. It's behind the photo of Obama riding his unicorn across the rainbow, so liberals can't see it even if they had a ring.

1. profile image0

Dang, all I have is the Secret Society Decoder pin I got from the Little Orphan Annie program sad

2. MelissaBarrett profile image58
                MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I tried to use the NRA decoder ring, but it misfired.  They reattached the finger, but they said I'll never shoot straight again.

2. profile image56

. . .So when you go to the United Nations site, it reads

"United Nations Disarmament Affairs. . . strengthening peace and security through disarmament"

Yeah, this sounds great.  How's that for a quote?  If that doesn't say it, little will.  DISARMAMENT.

"but their excessive accumulation . . ."  Who defines this, the United Nations?

"Reliable data sets on small arms can only be built if countries provide information on production, holdings, trade, legislation and use."  America must provide information about "holdings" now? 

I don't need anybody to tell me that this isn't good.  Wayne LaPierre is just saying what I am thinking.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
                MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You realize that "holdings" is used in the financial sense rather than the "What are you packing?" sense... right?

That's why it's grouped with production and trade.

UN really wouldn't have to ask the US for that info, they could just read the Wall Street Journal... or do a Google.

2. profile image0

So, you didn't read the treaty then?

Some page on the UN website is not the same as the treaty. I'm still waiting on quotes from the treaty.

1. profile image56

You have got to be kidding!  This is a UN site, and it clearly talks about disarmament.  You have got to be kidding.  EVEN if your proposed treaty says what you say it says, and I don't necessarily agree that it does, it does not negate the fact that the UN has clearly stated that its goal is disarmament.  Spin it all you want.  Quote your treaty.  Call people uneducated.  Call the NRA names.  This is what the UN says:

"United Nations Disarmament Affairs. . . strengthening peace and security through disarmament"

HERE IS ONE OF THE 3 GOALS PROPAGATED BY THE UNODA (United Natioins Office for Disarmament Affairs):

• Disarmament efforts in the area of CONVENTIONAL WEAPONS, especially landmines and SMALL ARMS, which are the weapons of choice in contemporary conflicts.

I think you misunderstand the scope of what the UN can do anyway....

If the United States ever felt that this law would undermine its ability to do whatever it pleases, it would be done with it in a heartbeat.

When it comes to disarmament, it means ending conflicts in Africa or other places where civil wars are raging on and killing innocent civilians.

Trust me, there is no way that the UN could take your guns.

And he still won't quote from the treaty.

That's because he hasn't read the treaty and therefore can't quote from it.

Or else he has read the treaty and doesn't understand it (considering his misunderstanding of the word "holdings" above, this might be likely).

Or else he's read it, understood it, but still argues nonsense because he wants to tell everyone that the sky is falling for reasons of his own (whatever those might be).

3. profile image0

See, that's the great thing. If you read the treaty, it outlines exactly who they are trying to disarm. Sorry, you are being obtuse if you won't read the treaty. That's as stupid as saying you won't read Obamacare but you know what is in it, even if people quote from the bill itself contrary to what you are saying.

6. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

The plain fact is that the small arms treaty has nothing whatsoever do to with the gun rights of US citizens.

The only thing it might stop them from doing is selling arms in bulk to known war criminals and crime lords overseas. And even there the treaty does not trump federal or state law.  So if the US and your state permit that, go for it.

7. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 11 years ago

And because I really didn't feel up to giving you the benefit of the doubt, I went back and reread the draft of the treaty and found NONE of your quotes in it.

1. profile image56

Hitler's intent isn't visible in his nonagression pact with Russia.  Read it.  You have to read other papers he wrote to find out what his intent was.

Yes, I know.  You'll be making a big deal about Hitler not being the UN.  I can hear it now.  The fact remains true.  The UN still says that its goal is small-arms disarmament.  It doesn't have to say that in your proposed treaty for it to be true.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image71

Hitler's intent isn't visible in his nonagression pact with Russia.

Right, and when he invaded Russia, he violated the nonaggression pact.

Are you getting paid to make bad arguments and be generally wrong?

1. gmwilliams profile image85
          gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000.  Hitler's intent was KNOWN when he entered into the so-called nonagression pact with Russia.   When he entered into an agreement with Stalin regarding Poland, Hitler made it clear that he intended to invade Russia with the purpose of either annihilating or enslaving the Slavic and Asiatic population and to make Russia a highly productive colony for the German population. 

Hitler wanted to materialize the idea of lebensraum i.e. living space for the German population.   Hitler even stated that the war with Russia would be a racial war and a war of a magnitude that was never heard of before.   Hitler's war with Russia was different from his war in Western Europe.

8. profile image56

Let me clarify.  What I am saying is that we are getting two different messages from the United Nations.  On one hand, people within this forum are saying that the Small Arms Treaty does not erode our national sovereignty; our gun rights will be left intact.  On the other hand, the same organization is currently stating, within its own sites, that its intent is disarmament within areas where the UN can “maintain conventional weapons control and practical disarmament.”   One could interpret this to mean areas in which warfare is ravaging the land, or one could interpret this to say any area where the UN can effectively implement its protocol.  The problem is that it requires interpretation, something other people within this forum have stated.  In justifying the need for gun disarmament, the UN Office of Disarmament also states, “They (guns) are the weapons of choice in civil wars and for terrorism, organized crime and gang warfare.”  This implies a possible intervention or interest to intervene within regions that have organized crime or gang warfare, perhaps America.

When a politician unambiguously makes two opposing statements, which do you believe?  The United Nations is saying two different things.  It is disingenuous to say that the United Nations has no intention of eroding our second amendment rights when it clearly says that it fully intends to disarm people in one statement, and in another, claims to preserve our rights. 

When Hitler signed the nonaggression pact, he clearly laid his cards on the table, something the United Nations has done.  He violated the pact, something I believe the United Nations WOULD do if it had the clout; I am not saying it has the authority to do this, only that it is the United Nation’s wish to do so.  That was my point.  Either I stated it poorly, or obtuse, emotional reasoning was used to counter my statement. 

Let me put this another  way.   Opposing statements, made by the same party, must be examined and scrutinized.  That’s not unreasonable.  When Mitt Romney made two separate statements about the 47% of America, his statements were rightly scrutinized.   The United Nations is making two separate statements about its intent, and it too deserves scrutiny.

Now, I know that many would say that the United Nations has no intention of taking guns away from Americans; its sole intent is to minimize gun proliferation in other regions.  That is an opinion, one that is not substantiated by ALL of the statements made by the United Nations.  IF the United Nations does not support disarmament in the United States or other similar regions, why don’t their websites specify this?  Why does their site clearly say that one of their goals is the disarmament of small arms?  Is it a gaff, much like Romney claimed about the 47% of Americans, or is it something more?  It’s a fair question, one that anybody should be asking and would in fact ask of any politician.  Why does the United Nations get a pass?

Some people within this forum myopically look at only one document, the Small Arms Treaty.  What I am attempting to do is dig a bit deeper and look at additional statements that the same organization is simultaneously making.   No reasonable argument would discount additional evidence, supporting or otherwise.  That is my point.

9. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I don't see the statements as contradictory.  And even if the were the UN cannot act contrary to international law.  And international law prevents a treaty from trumping self-government (e.g. the constitution). So no matter what anyone says or does, no action of the US could ever affect constitutional rights.

1. profile image56

I agree with part of what you said.  Yes, no treaty can supersede our Constitution.  I respectfully disagree with your statement about whether or not we are receiving contradicting statements from the UN.  Obviously, I know that the consensus is very much against my reasoning, however, I simply disagree.

10. profile image56

CodyHodge5,

You've quoted from the treaty, so I assume you know how to access a copy of it.  Could you please attach a link?  I want to read this treaty but can't seem to find a copy.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)