What are some realistic earnings I can expect from HubPages?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (22 posts)
  1. CareerCounsel profile image60
    CareerCounselposted 10 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm new and just started contributing to HubPages. I am an aspiring model trying to make some money on the side by blogging.

What are some realistic figures I can potentially earn writing good hubs here? I have about 4 hubs currently and am earning a few pennies per day.

Thanks for your feedback!

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What you are seeing is realistic for what you have produced.

CareerCounselposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. I noticed you have 200 hubs, which is 50 times more than me. If you don't mind sharing, do you make 50 times "a few pennies" per day as well?

1. relache profile image72
          relacheposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No.

My earnings are not that low.

2. CareerCounsel profile image60

If anyone can provide specific figures, that would be wonderful!

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No one can possible supply specif figures.  The best that can be done is to estimate that you will probably earn between 2 and 5 dollars for every 1,000 readers and even that is extremely variable.

3. agilitymach profile image94
    agilitymachposted 10 years ago

Wilderness is right.  There's no way to estimate what will happen with your particular account.  The variables are just too great.  The variables will include (but won't be limited to) how good a writer you are, what your niche market/topic is, how well you can capture SEO, how much time you can devote to Hubpages, how well you can craft a stellar hub, how much knowledge you have of your niche topic(s), etc.

I don't spend as much time as I'd like on Hubpages, and in the last year have seen two payouts (ie. about $110).  I'm told as my hubs age, they will increase in traffic and make more money for me.  I am seeing this slowly occur.  If I were able to create more hubs, my earnings would be far greater, but time limits me. 

Knowing your target audience and where to find them will greatly help your profits so you won't have to rely on Google searches alone.

There are fine writers who have been here for years who have yet to reach payout and others who reach payout in only a few months.  Don't expect a side "Income" from Hubpages anytime soon.  I view it as a compliment to my profession where I can earn some money and continue to further my reputation in my "real" profession.

4. CareerCounsel profile image60

agilitymach, your answer is very detailed and helpful. Thank you. You have much more hubs than me and I could tell your hubs are high quality. I'm actually quite surprised that someone like you only earned about $220 in a year. I guess I am overestimating HubPages's earnings potential sad

1. LeanMan profile image79
      LeanManposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is possible to make payout every month, some hubbers make it many times over.
      HP is a great place to start earning as it is simple, it is certainly where I and many others got their initial successes. Hubpages still forms a significant chunk of my online earnings but if you are going to rely on your earnings online as some of us do you really need to spread your risk around a little. I find HP the easiest and most profitable for me to use as a revenue sharing platform but some others will swear by other sites also. But for real earnings you will need your own sites - but learn here first..
      Your earnings will all depend on how much work you are prepared to put into it. Treat it as a full time job and you can manage a full time income (online - not just HP) and more. But don't expect results tomorrow, next week, or next month - it takes time and sometimes a lot of luck..

Welcome and good luck...

LeanMan, you said "But for real earnings you will need your own sites". Can you explain?

Having my own site means I have to pay for domain names and hosting. Also, my new site would not be part of a community (like my hubs are here), so people would not find my website as fast as my hubs would be found here on HubPages.

So as far as I understand, there's no advantage to having my own site if I want to earn money.

1. LeanMan profile image79
          LeanManposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hubpages has some advantages to helping you earn with regards to it being an already established site with everything set up to help you earn. However you do split your earnings with the site for the privilege of using it. You are also at the mercy of the site owners should they decide to make changes or even close or sell up. You are also affected to an extent by the actions of others on the site hence the drive by HP to eliminate the poor quality and spam hubs.

While your own site requires some effort to set up and get running correctly you have significantly more options with regards to how you can earn money. You are also completely in control of that site and can change anything you like. If you can become an authority in a specific area you can dominate the searches around that subject and gain significant traffic and earnings - however it is much easier to say it than do it! I earn far more on my own sites than I do on HP but I still see significant value in maintaining my account (and earnings) here.

Wonderful! Never thought of all those scenarios. Thanks for opening my eyes!

2. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You can be a fantastic writer, but if you write about the wrong topics you'll earn next to nothing. It took me almost a year before I figured out what ranked well. You need to learn some SEO too if you want to succeed.

You can earn really good money here or earn pennies depending on your topics and quality of writing. It takes lots of patience in the beginning. If you want quick money, this isn't the job for you. Best of luck. I hope you set some records on earnings.

Barbara, any tips on figuring out which topics earn the most?

3. agilitymach profile image94
      agilitymachposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the kind remarks about my hubs. That's very kind!! smile

5. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

Welcome to the site!  As everyone says, individual earnings are hard to predict, and depend on many factors (how long you've been on the site, the topics you write about, how well you promote your work, the quality of your writing, etc.).  Also - traffic is fickle - you can have a great surge and then decline dramatically. 

FYI - this is not a blogging site, so make certain your writing is solid and informative, not conversational and non-substantive.  Read as many tips in the Learning Center as you can - you'll find excellent information about the types of hubs that get the best traffic (based on their elements, not their topics).

Best of luck with your new venture!

Thanks for the tip. I intend to write substantive content that others will hopefully find useful!

6. poojariffre profile image60
    poojariffreposted 10 years ago

Hi, I am new here. I got more knowledge from here. Thanks for sharing....

7. susi10 profile image96
    susi10posted 10 years ago

Hi Jenny,
    First of all, I would like to welcome to HubPages and may you have a happy stay here! In relation to your question, there is no definite answer, some Hubbers have 100 hubs and struggle to make $0.20 cents a day, whilst others reach payout every month.

To give you an idea, for every 1000 views you get per day, you will receive $2 to $3 dollars in earnings each day. Of course, it could take months to years to achieve this. Even aiming at 300 views a day, will get you about $27 a month. However, it is not easy, it will take a lot of hard work, effort and dedication. Expect yourself to start earning a few dollars after you have written at least 30+ hubs. I am sure that many Hubbers may contradict me, but it varies from person to person.

I hope this will help you, start writing more hubs and you will be earning in no time! smile

Definitely helpful! And thanks for the warm welcome!

8. cherihut profile image60
    cherihutposted 10 years ago

I'm new on here myself. I just published my first Hub, but I have questions on earning, too. OK, this is a dumb question, maybe, but I plead the ignorance of a newbie.

First of all, I just tried to get on Google Ad Sense, and I was not approved for lack of content. I have been reading that you need about 10 Hubs before you get approved by Ad Sense. But... I was reading here that CareerCouncil is also new and that she only has 4 hubs, and yet she is earning a few pennies a day (obviously that's not much, but the fact that I picked up on is that she's earning SOMETHING).

So, here's my dumb question. If a newbie doesn't normally get accepted by Ad Sense until they've posted about 10 hubs, in what other ways are people earning? I know there's a way to earn with E-bay, but I haven't looked into that yet. Considering what I just wrote about CareerCouncil's earning experience, do you earn anything just by the fact that people are reading your stuff? Again, forgive my ignorance... I'm completely new to the online freelance writing thing... haven't got a clue as to how things really work.

Thanks for any responses I might get...

-Cheri

1. HollieT profile image81
      HollieTposted 10 years agoin reply to this

When you are accepted by Adsense you can sign up to HP ads earning program, which is impression based so you will earn when people read your hubs. I think the Ebay program is associated with your Adsense account too, so you can't necessarily earn from Ebay until you have an Adsense account (I think) but you can become an affiliate for Amazon (which is just a simple sign up, you can access from your account page where it says configure Amazon) Once accepted, you can add Amazon products to your page and earn commissions when products are sold.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)