Panda and Indexing Changes

Jump to Last Post 101-111 of 111 discussions (460 posts)
  1. profile image0
    sharmapk752posted 10 years ago

Thanks for sharing such a useful post. Keep it up!

2. adrianlawrence profile image41
    adrianlawrenceposted 10 years ago

LeanMan

I don't say that quality has changed at all, its gone up on hubpages due to the deletions etc I've been a member here on hubpages for years and understand that 100,000's of hubs were created years ago, and that each day only a small number change.

What I am suggesting is that Google has changed its scoring system.

Lets say the quality score is out of 100% and hubpages score is currently 75.%

If the Panda algo is pushing the threshold up with each run then the site was above the "threshold before" but is now below?  See what I mean.  Its Google that are changing not hubpages.

That explains why Scribeb, Squiddo, Articlesbase and all similar UGC sites are all suffering in the same way.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

But Google results are getting much worse for the subjects that I search out.

1. aa lite profile image86
        aa liteposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1, also right now I am seeing a lot of flux in the SERPs.  It is almost as if Google is changing its "quality" standards on a daily basis.

3. aa lite profile image86
    aa liteposted 10 years ago

It appears that HP is going to try a new trick to see whether some pages can regain traffic.  There will be Editor's Choice handpicked hubs, which will be indexed on the main domain.  Hopefully benefitting from the high PR and isolated from everything else. http://blog.hubpages.com

It's an interesting idea.  Although in the short term the reorganisation can again cause havoc.  Also if all your best hubs are moved to the main domain, your subdomain is going to be weaker.  But if it helps traffic in the long term.......

What I would hope is that the related hubs on the main domain are other Editor Choice's so that the isolation from potential bad stuff is complete.

1. drpennypincher profile image86
      drpennypincherposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the heads up!
      This sounds like a lot of work for the editors...
      I've removed my copyright notices from text capsules in accordance with the HubPages style guide to improve my chances of getting hubs picked.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

aalite:  This is going to cause the biggest mess HP has ever seen. I understand what they are trying to do, and I applaud their creativity.  However, what will happen to writers like me.  I have grouped my work into niches which are interlinked with each other under umbrella articles that link back to them.  If you remove one, you affect all...and if the one you remove is also the directory article, well...the whole bridge collapses.  It took me many months to organize my work this way, and now who knows what will happen!  I'm going to let it fly as is and not opt out, but I can see what is really happening here is that everybody's subdomains are most likely going to get decimated.  If this happens, HP can say goodbye.  This is the same thing Charter schools are doing to the public school system...take the cream of the crop and let the rest do without.  We better hang on to our hats because this could easily turn into a major disaster.  What is left will be good, and the site can rebuild from that, but most of the writers will not be able to do the same.  If you have 100 featured hubs and they choose 25 of them, they are telling you that the other 75 won't have a chance of making it .  I am physically ill about this news right now!

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes and no.  A common comment is that 20% of the hubs get 80% of the traffic (and income) and my subdomain shows that to be true.  Given that it may be that taking 30% or so for "editor's choice" may negatively the remaining 70% quite badly, but going from 3 views per day to zero isn't going to affect things much.  Especially not if those choice hubs go from 20 to 50 views per day.

Like you, I'm going to sit tight and keep a careful eye on both individual hub traffic (choice or not) as well as overall traffic.  We'll see what happens.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

Wilderness: I have very few hubs that get even 20 views per day, even though all are featured.  If that is the standard, I might as well dump the entire site!  Yes, 20 or so percent do get most of the traffic, but the traffic is nothing like what you are suggesting. I think there are many people here in the same boat as me and if the standard is going to be x number of hits per day, well...I wish all of us here good luck!

1. wilderness profile image96
            wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well, I just picked numbers out of the air as an example - I don't have many that get 20 views per day, either.

But I trust you see the point; if those "choice" hubs see a large traffic gain, even though only a small part of the total hubs, it could easily override any loss the remaining, poorer quality, hubs might have.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image82
        Mark Ewbieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have opted OUT.  Option on your profile.  I don't need some sub QAP merchant 'selecting' any of my hubs.

Not that they would anyway.

1. Bendo13 profile image76
          Bendo13posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Glad I saw this... I'm going to opt out as well.

Dear HubPages staff,
          Stop it.  Leave it alone.  Let the dust settle.
          The subdomains were created so that we would rise up if we earned it, through the quality of our writing.  I know traffic is important (it makes both you and all of us money), but stick to your guns.
          Thanks,
          -Ben

I don't see anything on my profile that gives me an opt out option.  Where is it, Mark?

Mark...found it.  They hid it in the Edit Profile.  I decided to opt out also, and here is why:  I think we've confused Google enough and any further massive changes will only make things worse.  I may be wrong, but that is how I feel!

4. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 10 years ago

Traffic began dropping in March for me with subdomain change. That was when Webmaster Tools said they could not find my articles. Maybe this time no redirects will occur if they are moved to main domain.

5. brakel2 profile image73

Susanna Don't redirects slow page load? I know how sharp you are. So help us understand.

6. brakel2 profile image73

@bendo.  Did your traffic improve after the deal with WebmasterTools?  Did you submit a site map?

1. Bendo13 profile image76
      Bendo13posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Submitting the sitemap changed nothing...
      I saw a dip in traffic like most people did, with the recent Panda change, but now my traffic is back to how it was before the recent Panda change.

I'm opting out of the Editor's Choice deal because I want my hubs to be indexed as they should be... on my subdomain.  I'm getting close to the same traffic I was before, which leads me to believe that having them indexed incorrectly (through hubpages.com) didn't really help all that much.

I'd like to be in full control (or as much as I possibly can) over whether my subdomain rises or crashes... It's a good gauge to let me know if I'm doing better or not... having the HubPages staff reach in and give me a gold star for the day messes with that gauge.

Bendo, I'm glad yours are up...mine are still on a roller coaster ride,and I see no rhyme or reason for it.

7. brakel2 profile image73

Time Traveler.  I cannot find the opt out. Help.

1. LCDWriter profile image91
      LCDWriterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Go to My Profile/Edit Profile and it is right under the "others you might like" blacklist section.

brake12: I was about to answer this when I saw that LCDWriter did so.  Sorry ... I was a bit late lol!

8. brakel2 profile image73

Thank you so much LCDWriter. I found it in that strange place.

9. Cheeky Girl profile image65
    Cheeky Girlposted 10 years ago

This is interesting. The new update is having weird and interesting effects on my hub score. I rose from 65 up to 88. Google announced that they are more inclined to favor long form content, and since hubs fit that  quite a bit, perhaps that is why people with longer hub word counts per hub as with mine - are getting a boost. All kinds of ripple effects happening in hubs these days...

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
      mistyhorizon2003posted 10 years agoin reply to this

It seems very unlikely anything Google has done is causing a rise on your Hub Score average. It has been said by so many hubbers over the years that their hub score (per hub) can be really high on a hub with very little traffic, and much lower on one with a lot of traffic. Ignoring both Hub Scores and Hubber Author Scores is generally the best course of action.

1. LeanMan profile image79
        LeanManposted 10 years agoin reply to this

except that now a hubber score of less than 85 will now cause all of your links to be no follow...

1. profile image0
          Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

what does no follow mean?

1. LeanMan profile image79
            LeanManposted 10 years agoin reply to this

When google sees a link with a "no follow" it ignores the link... So while a person may follow it, google gives it no value at all.

1. profile image0

Thanks Leanman and MH.
              What does that mean, "gives it value"? How does it benefit you to have ppl follow links?

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
                Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It benefits you if those links are to your own blogs, which you want to send traffic to.   

If you don't use your Hubs for that, then the "no follow" rule needn't worry you.

1. Writer Fox profile image32
                  Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

NoFollow links are a problem in many ways.  So long as Hubs aren't linking to spam sites, NoFollow sends a message to Google that the content on the HubPages domain is not trustworthy.  Google has stated:

"Parts of our system encourage links to good sites."

To NoFollow links to valuable resources will hurt your Hub in search rankings and hurts the entire HubPages site in search rankings.  It effectively says that there are too many links to webpages that are not trusted by HubPages (the referrer) or are advertising.

The NoFollow tag only belongs on links of that nature and HubPages has consistently refused to provide a way for authors to appropriately designate what should be a NoFollow link (advertising, advertorials and affiliates).

To use this as some kind of punishment for authors with a low Hubber score is not just silly; it is destructive and hurts the entire website.  If a Hub is linking to spam, kill the Hub. If a Hub is poor quality, block search engines.  But to just slap a NoFollow on the links is very poor judgment.

Writer Fox:  The more I read of your comments, the more I think that HP is trying to commit suicide!  I wish I knew what was going on in the team's minds that makes them think these things are not important enough to properly address.  I have always written featured hubs and done OK (not great) here for a person who is not tech savvy.  Today my views have gone so low that if this continues, before long I will have no views whatsoever.  Paul E keeps talking about the EC deal but appears to be ignoring the other issues here.  Like most of us here, I am at my wits end.  I love HP, but they are killing me off.

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
            mistyhorizon2003posted 10 years agoin reply to this

It means any outgoing links you place in your hubs e.g. to other sites you might wish to send traffic to, will be ignored by Google. HP must have changed the rules on the the score you need to have for your links to be marked as 'no follow' though, as it was always 75 as opposed to the 85 Leanman says it now is.

All that said I am not really worried either way right now as I have lost hope for this site's recovery, things have just got too bad.

Edit: Whoops sorry Leanman, I just realised you already answered this right below Beth's post.

All of my hubs have longer word counts and NONE of them are getting any kind of boost!  I'm down 2/3 in both numbers and CPMs ever since this update occurred.

10. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

I love Thai food... and Englishmen.

1. jimmythejock profile image82
      jimmythejockposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Jealous, Beth I thought it was the Scotsmen that you loved, I got a kilt and everything.....jimmy

1. profile image0

Oh I can be swayed.

1. Will Apse profile image87
          Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The idea of anything swaying in any connection with kilts sends me scurrying back to the lowlands.

I just ain't your modern man. lol.

1. profile image0

lol

11. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

This Saturday's HP traffic was higher than last Saturday's HP traffic.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)