For you, is writing an art or a business?

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (55 posts)
  1. NateB11 profile image89
    NateB11posted 10 years ago

Or both or neither? Do you do it to make money or do you do it because you love it, because you have a passion for it and for what you write about? Is it a craft or an element to your livelihood? Again, or neither or both? Do you study and implement SEO or do you just write what you feel actually has value?

1. mgt28 profile image61
      mgt28posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I write for money. You should know however that once I start to write an article, I forget about the money and I am driven by passion. That is just about any task I do in life. I go to work for money, but every task I do I am driven by passion , reason , sense of duty especially if it affects other people. I only get paid once a month, but in between I  am busy feeding my intellect with my work, sweating and having fun.

1. isaacasante profile image83
        isaacasanteposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's pretty much the same for me.

2. profile image0
      CroftRoanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's both for me. I have started making a career as a writer but I have written for myself for years. It gives me purpose and an outlet. I live for stories.

2. cmoneyspinner1tf profile image83
    cmoneyspinner1tfposted 10 years ago

Writing is a business for sure.  There are some who do it for the love and consider it an art form.  I say six in one hand, half a dozen in the other.  For me?  Well see ... what had really happened was ... I couldn't get a job as a bean counter earning a steady paycheck.  So I started writing.  And that's what happened!

1. artsandlearning profile image59
      artsandlearningposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Writing is an art for me, which supplements my business that is private practice counseling. The best way to start writing a business plan is by ensuring you have enthusiasm for your company.
      http://www.artsandlearning.org/

3. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

I wouldn't do anything else for a dollar a day Nate unless I loved it.

One day I want to crack doing what I love AND making some money.  That means the hard work side unfortunately.

NateB11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I know exactly what you mean, Mark. I guess that's why I keep doing it.
      Edit: Mark, you can always tell when someone loves what they do, because it is reflected in their work.

4. JKenny profile image89
    JKennyposted 10 years ago

Or less than a dollar a day in my case. I just love sharing what I know with everybody else...simple as that!! smile

I'm totally with you on that, and I love to share what I know as well, that's why I started doing this.

Edit: And it makes sense you actually love to educate people, it shows in your writing and it's why I like reading your work.

5. Hamshi profile image67
    Hamshiposted 10 years ago

8/10 times, for money but when I write articles about Jesus and anything else that has a good incentive to help others, I write them to get that inner happiness of trying to make a difference. And yes, I do study SEO/implement it on my articles, even on the ones that I write for the second reason mentioned...Why? because I want people to find them easily on the internet. smile

6. Cgenaea profile image59
    Cgenaeaposted 10 years ago

I love writing. I'm pretty good at it too, but I have no idea how to make a career out of it. That would be great at this point as I haven't an income with many a job application filled. 
    I have read the "how to..." and yet have the matter fully grasped. Any advice available???

7. Mark Lees profile image78
    Mark Leesposted 10 years ago

I write for money and pleasure. I write articles about subjects I have no interest in because I am paid- they don't bear my name and I get no pleasure from writing them. Then I write for pleasure- I write my own prose and poetry, I write blogs and articles on things that interest me, I write scripts for various projects- I usually don't get paid for these (I may get some back end royalties or a nominal amount, but not in a pay-for-labour sense) but the dream is to one day write the things I like for the day job.

8. Dan Zynski profile image76
    Dan Zynskiposted 10 years ago

I write about whatever interests me, then work like hell for rankings and pay.

1. JG11Bravo profile image72
      JG11Bravoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What he said.

2. NateB11 profile image89

I think that's what I'm doing...or trying to do.

9. aware profile image65
    awareposted 10 years ago

its art

Love this honest and straight-forward answer. Well said.

10. The Examiner-1 profile image61
    The Examiner-1posted 10 years ago

It is for both reasons.

11. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 10 years ago

Business/hobby for me. Not art at all. I find it difficult to be creative in my writing. I express myself creatively in fashion, landscaping and interior decor.

12. amiebutchko profile image70
    amiebutchkoposted 10 years ago

I truly love writing.  I would love to make money doing it.  I have learned a lot about SEO, but it is hard to implement.  I feel it goes against what I used to think was good writing in so many ways!  That being said, I understand it is imperative to the web writing of today.  I need to get better at it.  I need to grow with it!

I'm totally with you on SEO going against good writing. That's been my exact feeling too. Like you, I decided to dabble in SEO because I realize it's how you get traffic and how we get paid, essentially.

1. Jlbowden profile image84
        Jlbowdenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I would have to say that for now it's more of an art & form of meditation or relaxation than anything else. It definitely would  be great to call it a true business, but unfortunately because of other current full-time job responsibilities.

I do not have the time or energy for that matter, to devote to a day in - day out writing business.  And if that changes for me someday, I will definitely be able to put a lot more in to what I really enjoy the most.  And that's writing!

13. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 10 years ago

Nate......I write because I breathe....or if you prefer, I write in order to breathe.  I believe for me, it's beyond passion.  I know that many years ago, my parents were thrilled to know they needn't spend ridiculous sums of money on toys.  Pens, pencils, magazines, scissors, glue and lots of paper and I was the invisible, silent child for hours. 
    I think I wrote my first book when I was 7....maybe 8.  You may have seen it on the New York Times Best Seller's List.

It's not a business, nor art, nor hobby or pastime for me.  If I made some money, that would nice, but it's certainly not a condition. 
    Writing is my first language...my means to communicate, express, share, amuse and entertain, anyone and everyone, including myself.

Why am I not a famous author?  For many of the same reasons that millions of writers are not (maybe more or less)....That is not the career path I chose....and I have no regrets.  Freelance writing, for my own personal reasons, is part of who I am...not "what I do."

I never want to be defined by any one singular definition in a box.
    The Universe is much too huge and complex to ever limit or confine our lives and talents.

1. sallybea profile image96
      sallybeaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is a means to self expression and also a way for me to showcase my photography.  It is also about earning a residual income which I hope will grow and grow as I write more Hubs.

1. Suzanne Day profile image93
        Suzanne Dayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1 This is my answer too! Thanks for writing it for me sallybea wink

2. fpherj48 profile image60
        fpherj48posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Good for you...Sounds like a plan.  I wish you much success.....If you make HUGE sums of money......can we be BFF's???   LOL.   Have a nice Thanksgiving.

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
          Jean Bakulaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I write because I love it. I thought I would be a writer when I was young and in high school, but life has that way of taking you in other directions. But I don't mind making a little money. However, I would never do something for about a dollar a day unless I loved it!

14. Shadow Jackson profile image64
    Shadow Jacksonposted 10 years ago

both

15. suzettenaples profile image88
    suzettenaplesposted 10 years ago

For me it is more of an art and I should make it more of a business.  I reall should concentrate more on the freelance part but I love writing and write everyday.

16. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

An art and a passion.  I must write.  It was my earliest preferred means of expression, shy child that I was.
    If I can make some pocket change in the process, that's a bonus.

17. thumbi7 profile image61
    thumbi7posted 10 years ago

I am not a writer basically but when I see that people are reading my content (reaching almost 300000 page views now)I get immense satisfaction.
    I don't write for money but I do get happy looking at the few dollars  I make by the end of the month
    I don't write based on SEO; I am writing with the people in my mind. It should be useful to them.

18. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Writing is primarily art for me, NateB11. I don't make enough to consider it a business. It supplements my business which is private practice counseling. However, I use promotion of my articles as a business strategy by sharing particular articles with clients and my social media audience to build credibility and a brand.
    I have always loved to write. I'm grateful to have the HP platform to learn and grow as a writer and achieve my dreams of becoming a writer. I don't write anywhere else besides HP because I don't have time. Choosing words, forming sentences, choosing images, and putting hubs together get my creative juices flowing which makes it art for me. I appreciate being able to make a little change from my art. Thanks for the question.

I truly love to put a Hub together. One of the reasons I like HP so much, the tools we're given to create a great looking article. I like your approach, very sensible but also with heart.

19. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 10 years ago

Writing is my passion, my art, a part of me which I cannot be separated from. I am a woman...I am a writer. Those two statements are the same to me.

I use my passion or love for writing to make me money. I think the combination is a win win for me because I get to do what I love all the time and if I make money I am ecstatic, if I don't make money I try again.

Some years ago through my depression, after some long convos with my doctor he said to me, "The thing that you want to do first thing when you wake up in the morning, that's what you should be doing. The thing which plagues you while you do someone else's work is what you should be doing. That thing which is on your mind when you fall asleep is the only thing which will make you happy".  Of course we were talking about careers. I am not sure if that formula works for everyone but it sure works for me. The only other thing which came close to writing was cooking and I gave that up too.

20. passionate77 profile image57
    passionate77posted 10 years ago

Reading, writing both are my passion and I love writing but also I want to earn some money too but I haven't been paid a single time yet because I haven't activated any earning account yet. Till now I am just writing and uploading when I can because due to my health issues I can't find myself able to contribute here at hubpages as much as I want or desire, but just hope, some day my dream will come true and I reach my destination and contribute through a big share of quality hubs here because whenever I write, I just try to put my best efforts to cover the topic of that hub and it takes me much time because I can't sit longer due to some medical issue, so I can say that at the moment I am sweating just because of my love for reading and writing without any single payment yet but of course I would love to create some extra stream of passive income too out of the job I do in form of searching, gathering information then writing and sharing, it all takes me much time and I would love to be paid for that as well

21. cheaptrick profile image75
    cheaptrickposted 10 years ago

it's a cathartic thing...

22. lady rain profile image95
    lady rainposted 10 years ago

It started as a business earning zero pennies for months but now it has become an art. I love to write when I was young but for some reason, the teachers didn't like my writing most of the time. Moral of the story: never give up a passion!

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
      Jean Bakulaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's so true, Lady Rain! When we are young we have a tendency to let other people define who we are, and when we are older we don't put up with that any more. I sometimes feel a bit guilty that I spend so much time online, but I spent many years completely devoted to my family, and although I still care for them and do what needs to be done, sort of feel like it's my time now.

1. amiebutchko profile image70
        amiebutchkoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm "in trouble" today from my fam for being online, too!!!!  Must bake Thanksgiving cheesecakes... but hubpages is calling to me.....

1. The Examiner-1 profile image61
          The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

How about alternating between the two? Put the cheesecakes in the oven and set a timer, then go to HP. To avoid burning, set the timer for early and then reset it for how long that you feel. Return to HP until the timer rings/buzzes again. wink

1. amiebutchko profile image70
            amiebutchkoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Examiner-1, for understanding me!!!!

1. The Examiner-1 profile image61
              The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are welcome. I do not even bake!

2. gmwilliams profile image85
        gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh God yes!  I am too of the creative type.  I sketch and draw in addition to writing for HubPages.  Unfortunately, I was steered into the "more practical" career field even though I used my creative side.  Yes, I was in civil service which is as UNCREATIVE and UNIMAGINATIVE as one can get.  As I got older, I said the heck with it and was starting to use my creative talents as means to making money.  Well, HubPages is a start!

Advice to young creative types out there:  DON'T let anyone tell you that your creative talents won't be profitable and take a more practical and realistic approach.  Follow your dreams-but prepare for your craft and hone your talent by studying, planning, strategizing, and working towards your goal.

1. Cardisa profile image88
          Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I was told that writers were mostly crazy people. Others told me that writers didn't make much money. Well they were right. I was crazy for listening to them and I didn't;t make any money because I listened to them.

1. isaacasante profile image83
            isaacasanteposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1 to that... There's really no need to pay attention to people who keep discouraging others.

2. gmwilliams profile image85
            gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

As Dr. Wayne Wyer stated DON'T DIE with YOUR music in you.  He also quoted a passge from the book, THE DEATH OF IVAN ILLYICH,  a noted judge was lying on his death bed, asking "What if his life was wrong?"   So many of us listen to what others say and let them prescribe our lives, many people lead half lives and not their authentic lives until it is TOO late.   Many people die with their talents and desires unrealized, living lives that are prescribed by others instead of themselves.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8446085_f248.jpg

1. Cardisa profile image88
              Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So true. I was headed there until I said "enough is enough!"

23. Mahir Maric profile image60
    Mahir Maricposted 10 years ago

+1 for Cardisa answer. Well, if we want to tell something to the world we need to improve our writing with SEO because it will reach people faster. Why is that important? Because of the self esteem or otherwise most of writers might feel discouraged when they see no pageviews, so they need to see the reaction of their  writing. "Money is attracted by the person you have become." - Jim Rohn or you can say Money is attracted by the valuable content you put in your article using balanced SEO.

24. profile image0
    elemenopyposted 10 years ago

Writing has always been a passion for me.  Earning any money from it is a treat.  And having readers is very special.  I think that is why I write - to share my thoughts and to take in what others have to share, as well.

25. profile image0
    cjaroszposted 10 years ago

For me its a little of both. I absolutely love writing. Gaining knowledge, and giving it. I love to dress myself, and to write in general. Its slowly growing more and more into a passion.
    I am not as wealthy as others on this page. I starting only maybe 2 months ago. I am still learning the ropes. Slowly climbing the hill. I am to do business. Make some money off my time spent. Hopefully, one day I will be one that makes more than a couple of dollars a month. That is my goal though, to eventually make some actually money.

26. cheaptrick profile image75
    cheaptrickposted 10 years ago

For me...writing begins as a cloud of creativity which billows about my head(or it might be the fog of forty years of debauchery,drugs,and rock and roll)...then it condenses in one of my short circuited pre frontal cortex lobes(or possibly one of my bulbis buttocks)...after which it runs down(or up)to my right arm at the speed of dark...finally cascading onto the page through my arthritic deformed hand which lends it an ethereal quality and dazzles my army of loyal fans and readers...both of them
    ...I may untie them soon...if they keep staring into space with that thousand yard stare...

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
      SmartAndFunposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Winner of this thread right there. ^^^

27. word55 profile image70
    word55posted 10 years ago

For me, writing is definitely an art. It may turn into a business after it is established as art and people become interested in it enough to by it in whatever form it is presented for sale such as book, song, advertising, greeting card and etc.

28. rainsanmartin profile image85
    rainsanmartinposted 10 years ago

I write for both art and business, yet only write about the topics for which I feel a passion or interest.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)