Getting rid of religion will destroy society and family values: False.

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (130 posts)
  1. Josak profile image61
    Josakposted 11 years ago

I often see these hubs they have variation but the thrust is the same, if we get rid of religion society will collapse and morality will disappear, let's analyze that.
    Crime rates are higher in US states with highest rates of religiosity.
    Christians are actually more likely to be divorced than atheists.
    Upon entering prison only 0.2% of prisoners describe themselves as Atheists.
    Religious teenagers are more likely to engage in unprotected sex and teenage pregnancy.
    Countries with higher rates of religiosity have higher murder rates.
    Women in Christian marriages are more likely to suffer domestic abuse.
    More secular nations are happier.
    etc. etc. Given these facts the argument is baseless and ignorant.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/our … d-religion

1. Paul Wingert profile image60
      Paul Wingertposted 11 years agoin reply to this

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6838819_f248.jpg

1. gabgirl12 profile image59
        gabgirl12posted 11 years agoin reply to this

LOL...I've seen quite a few that are similar with the esteemed Willy Wonka. I can almost hear him actually 'saying' some of the stuff.

2. Barnsey profile image69
      Barnseyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The funny thing to me is the fact that so very many people claim to be of a cetain religion but in truth they hardly even practice their said religion, at least here in the USA. Especially in Catholic and christian families the young seem to only follow along because that is what is expected of them. Meanwhile work and reality are the things that separate them from their families. Also, the more free thinking among the religiously raised often cant wait to go in the opposite direction out of childish spite for their parents and religion as a whole.
      In consideration of this fact I would submit the continued enforcement of religion and the often unwavering attitudes of some Right Wing parents who will disown their children if they dont stay within the lines are much closer to the general breackdown of America's sociatal moral compass on a whole. The disenfranchised are a numberless horde now and they are making the athiests and morally sound, mildly religious folks look bad.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
        gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I know this all so well.  Many young people mindlessly follow their parents' religion.   However, they are "believers" in name only.   They do not believe in the doctrine of said religion.   They are in the said religion because they are fearful of being independent thinkers and analyzers.   In other words, they feel safe but miserable doing so.   That is the definition of purgatorial and/or hellish(forgive the pun) comfort.   How sad!

Not me!  I was raised in a Catholic home-starting rebelling against its strictures when I was sixteen and left the religion altogether at twenty-one.   I subscribed to New Age principles in my twenties and adapted a non-religious view in my early to mid-thirties and returned to New Age principles in my late thirties.   Currently, a New Ager!   Spiritual but not religious!

2. S Leretseh profile image59
        S Leretsehposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"Especially in Catholic and christian families the young seem to only follow along because that is what is expected of them."

I would throw Jews in there,too.  The 'non-practicing' Jew is pretty much the norm today.  That doesn't mean tho, that they (particularly the liberals among them) don't oppose everything that is Christian.

1. tirelesstraveler profile image60
          tirelesstravelerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Young tend to leave, but the is conundrum they tend to come back when they have children.  The only problem is young people aren't having children these days.

3. tirelesstraveler profile image60

When was the last time sex education was taught to everyone in a country? A clue, 1934

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And people wonder why sex issues arose over the next 50+ years and why there will be a population problem in the future, the near future.

The "responsibility" of sex education should be dual (a) community and (b) family. This would be the only "responsible" way to ensure a child within society would learn what is needed.

Family values don't come from religion as it used to do. The appearance the Church refuses to see is that it's do as I say, not as I do, policy doesn't work in a society with increased awareness and knowledge.

People generally have an idea of what morality is about. Most don't give it a second thought because of other factors. The only time people truly give a damn about moral right or wrongs is when it doesn't have anything to do with them, but with a complete stranger and then sit and expect that their moral right and wrongs are the only ones to exist. I call that being egotistical.

The only religion that needs to be understood and lived is that called Life. How you understand your own life leads to understanding how to hold onto the compassion and love, while you watch as the world tears itself apart because there's a lack of mercy in the overall of the world.

The present state of things on Earth is absurdly ridiculous. And people call themselves humans. Ha!

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
          schoolgirlforrealposted 11 years agoin reply to this

ha is right!

It's weird thou because we are all capable of evil or good, religion or no religion. so I guess it's personal choice that chooses good or evil. whether you're inspired to do it by Jesus's example -if you believe in Jesus- or inspired on your own is fine really.

4. gmwilliams profile image84

Totally concur.   People who rely on religion for morality are emotionally immature.   Many people inherently want to be told what to do.   People are so fearful of being independent, self-motivated persons.   They would rather be emotional children relying upon a paternalistic religious doctrine.  All religion does is promote sexual repression, misogyny, mindless and automatonic conformity, joylessness, and fear!    Religion requires human sacrifice- yes, sacrifice of our unique humanity to conform to some sadistic religious idea of morality which is death in itself! 

I further believe that society is not as progressive as it should be because of organized religion.   Even though America professes to have a separation of church and state, religion permeates throughout society  e.g. the abortion issue, stem cell research, women's rights, and sex education issues.  Organized religion still has a hold on American society which is quite unfortunate!   If organized religion was elimated, this society will be a more progressive society.   Out of all the industrialized nations,  America is the only society that is strongly religious.  Studies show that over 70% of Americans still believe in the Devil.  Come on, people, this is the 21st century!  Totally unbelievable!

5. syzygyastro profile image80
      syzygyastroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Prohibition never did work no matter where it was of is applied. All it does is inspire criminal profit in business and keep the prisons systems going all for profit. The world is divided into two parts, one based on objective science and knowledge including psychology and the other on ignorance and blind faith. You either become responsible for your own actions, or continue to live irresponsibly.

6. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Because people need others to tell them what to think!  The highly religious apparently need an authority to tell them what is and isn't moral.  Independent thought is superfluous!

Religious people subconsciously are quite immature.  If you question them regarding as to the reason why they believe the way they do, they become highly indignant and defensive.   In essence, they are totally incapable of offering a logical explanation regarding their "beliefs".   Their "beliefs" are not well-thought out but was absorbed either through their church and/or by parents.

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
          Randy Godwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They are taught as children not to question things which make no logical sense.  It is a form of brainwashing which some never overcome throughout their entire lives.  It affects everything in their lives from education to being able to handle circumstances which go against their teachings.  They then put their children through the same indoctrination and the cycle continues.  Child abuse, no less. 

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

1. profile image0

Yep.

Brainwashing can occur with almost any topic also!  Economics, religion, politics, whatever the case may be.

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
              Randy Godwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

True!  Politics and religion especially go hand in hand with both being touted from the pulpit.  I personally believe churches should not get tax exemptions because of their beliefs and political affiliations. 

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

1. profile image0

Definitely.

Churches have far too long been coddled by society.  They should be given a tax exemption only if they spend 70% of their revenue on charitable endeavors.  Anything less means taxes, regardless of whether they do or do not preach about politics from the pulpit.

1. tirelesstraveler profile image60

Religion will never go away. Islam and the like will continue, because it is a religion that makes converts. But the kind of religion that we have benefited from has been whittled away, bit by bit.  The opinions in this form would not have been mainstream 40 years ago.  If you look at the monuments in DC the mention of God is on all the old ones and none of the new one. Certainly not on Martin Luther King's which is one of the most recent and he was a Baptist Minister.

Children these days are 'indoctrinated' at an early age. Some of them don't even go to a regular school. But then again religious folks will complain they are being 'indoctrinated' by the government.

There are some who break away, but the most are just followers.

2. profile image0

I don't know if ALL religious people are immature.  I wouldn't go that far.

You are correct though that many are not willing to think through the issues on their own without a strong authority figure telling them what is and isn't moral.

To disobey authority is to bring about punishment and/or curses.

I can tell you from experience...I ended up depressed, scared, tired and worn out. At one point I thought if I don't go back I'm dead...but well I'm still alive, so either the authority isn't really an authority, or I have a purpose in life. I don't know, I don't care...but I'm movin on up.

1. profile image0

Unfortunately so.  Sometimes it means losing friends sad.

So be it, it is better for people to dislike who you truly are than to have them like you for being false to yourself!

7. Wayne Brown profile image81
      Wayne Brownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I find some of your reasoning flawed.  For example, here in the USA, there has been a growing trend away from organized religion for decades.  Maybe that departure from the family religious process contributes to the criminal outcome.  The same holds true for prisons...even though most of them might not attend church, they still grew up in what is called "a Christian nation" therefore they consider themselves a part of that whether practiced or not.  Just because a person does not actively practice Christianity does make complete the assumption that they are an atheist.  Many of th countries around the world without religious freedom or a religious presence also operations on the tyrannical side of the line controlling freedoms, sustaining poverty, etc, etc...from a value standpoint there is little to rob or kill for in those countries. At the same time, the punishment for such crimes in those countries may be the cutting off of arms and legs or other cruel treatment which actually carries more psychological weight than the death penalty for many.   As for unprotected sex, I tend to think the little church girl and boy might not have been planning on having sex at all until things got out of hand in the heat of the moment thus the church or the religion does not necessarily drive the sex bus...it is the human desires of people in situations of the moment...anything less than that is premeditated sex.  I have no axe to grind here but that of mere logic and I just do not see the logic in your conclusions based on the evidence presented.  WB

Saying you are in a christian nation just basically means they are afraid to say otherwise. They have probably grown up in 'fear' of God's wrath and judgement and not out of any real care to respect. I would think they are deists in that they think God is around but he's not involved in their daily lives.

An atheist doesn't really care about anything to do with God. And God doesn't mind it from what I can see. An atheist to me are what prophets are to the church. They are on an opposite side because not only do they abhor hypocrisy they just gave up on churches altogether!

Most of the countries without religious freedom 'are' religious in some form. They are dominated by a particular structure in their government that adheres to it.

Religions teach that suppressing desire and making you feel guilty and ashamed about it will prompt you to tell your 'spiritual' leader so he has control over the situation because if word gets out...its gossip time. But in European/American secular societies? No one gives a damn about it. So there is not much in the way of ostracizing and shunning.

8. phion profile image60
      phionposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Religiosity? So is this an argument about how there are so many of those dang believers that they have a higher crime rate? So if I take 10…let’s say Buddhists, and 10 atheists the atheists will be the more peace loving group? Your facts lead to a bias, because you are comparing such a minute amount of the world’s population with the largest. The reality is that Religion is too large a subject to compare to some stats about atheists. What will destroy society and the family is a lack of hope, and the continued lack of interest in the quest to become enlightened, and to be honest a bunch of heathens running around mass producing exponentially out of wedlock, breeding more leaches to society with the exception of about 1 in 100. Religion is stupid, and the root of all the world’s problems on one level or another, is a cop out for the slothful, and to try and prove such a point by these means is laughable.

9. phion profile image60
      phionposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Are you just one of the “in it for the money” types that is looking for traffic?

2. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 11 years ago

I live in a developing country and can see family life being destroyed on all sides. It has nothing to do with religion.

A generation ago, large extended families were the norm in the countryside.

Now more and more people leave to work in the factories in the big cities where wages are so much higher.

Often children are left with grandparents, all of the young adults disappear and the land is left unworked.

Working hours are long (60-100 hours a week) so husbands and wives rarely see each other. Often husband and wife take it in turns to work. Six months on six months off.

Infidelity rates have sky rocketed and marriages routinely break.

It is a shame, because I am seeing one of the last generations of people brought up in genuinely secure environments.

Soon there will be the kind of desperate underclass you find in developed nations, with alienated rootless individuals and hopelessly dysfunctional families.

3. jadesmg profile image85
    jadesmgposted 11 years ago

I dont think it is religion that causes these problems, it's more how religion is treated. Besides, your evidence seems to focus on Christianity. there are litterally millions of religions, claiming they are all wrong and all cause extreme social problems just because one of them does is a little ethnocentric. I do agree that the Western world has a problem with it's interaction with religion and how religion is used by people. The way it is used more to enforce rules and prejudices than the love and kindness really intended is certainly not good. But religion itself is not the issue, it is merely a factor which can only be considered as a part of society as a whole, and all other aspects that society would include. surely.

4. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

I live, work and interact with some people affected by religion and must agree with Jadesmg. It's how religion is treated. Imposing one's own religion upon others and swaying disrespect and/or dismissal of other beliefs, is what causes problems. Leaves ones confused and disoriented, like a identity crisis. I get reactions of all sorts for not going to church even though I say nothing hmm and stranger looks if I am  there tongue lol I've read most of the bible and think it's supposed to be used to promote 'good will for self and others' but not used in that manner except by a minor few. Ones I've met who follow 'good will towards others' are the most positive while others, well ...

5. maxoxam41 profile image65
    maxoxam41posted 11 years ago

Religions impose dogmas upon people limiting as a consequence the flourishing of the human being. Religions forced/are forcing wars between two different faiths. Religions are the scourge to the development of societies.
    I agree with you Josak.

1. KFlippin profile image61
      KFlippinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow, just can't imagine how the greatest country on the face of the earth flourished for about 200 years with all that religion so strongly in place amongst the folks - just an amazing feat no doubt with such a handicap.  Now the last 30 or so years it's been in the toilet - or do some see it now as somehow majorly progressed as a society?  smile LOL

Easily, it has absorbed close to $100 Trillion dollars to get the U.S. to this point now. If religion continues to dominate in America, then America will surely fall.
        Progressed society? Nope. Still uncivilized, due the those who are religious which continue to think they possess the right to invade other people's life on a National Stage, regardless of what rights that person may or may not be entitled to.

Sexual orientation or preference, there should be no discrimination whatsoever, just like gender. Gender equality and equal rights is still being fought in this country.

You call this the greatest country in the world? You need to wake up. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the World, but America is far from great. It has so many problems, just like so many other countries. The problem is that no one is really paying attention to who is causing the problems of the world. I've written about it. It's those same select few who truly are powerful enough and wealthy enough to kill someone without blinking an eye or losing a nights sleep over it. Everything and anything will be done to protect their wealth, position, power and actions. If you think your life is of any value...well, don't think it is to them, because it isn't. They don't mind millions starving, they don't give a damn how many people die in a year because they have no vaccines or proper medicine.

So please, save the BS.

1. KFlippin profile image61
          KFlippinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What a joke.  Do you write scripts? Fiction? Who are you addressing?  You really argue that the United States of America wasn't the greatest nation on this earth until quite recently? Who was it, was it France? Or was it Bangladesh? Did I miss something? Darn, and I hardly have time to take a nap. I'm fairly sure our great country became so great with religion being an integral factor in our society, didn't seem to hinder it one bit, and that is just a fact - and no BS.

From the 70's onward we started paying out the nose as a country for increasing 'welfare' in one form or another, I wish that was BS.

What joke?
            Actually, No I don't.
            I am talking to you. Who did you think I was talking to when I responded to your post.
            Okay, let's see if you can grasp a little history lesson before we get into what America is actually.

(a) this country was founded for "equality" and "equal rights" - BS.
            (b) this country has caused more conflicts than defended - Fact.

Let's take (a) equality and equal right. Do you know what these two things are? And, please whatever you do, don't tell me they are the same thing.

Equal rights? Yeah right. Women were not allowed to vote and blacks were STILL slaves. Founded on equal right, huh? BS.

Let's take (b) caused more conflicts than defended - Fact! Why is it a fact? Because, America and it's infinite wisdom decided to play GOD with the world. These morons have caused more poverty and more homeless than they have fixed.
            Your sarcasm is noted, not needed or warranted actually.
            Religion? No religious people and many others made this country reach this point. Religion IS the Church and I'm sorry to say it's done more damage than it's done healing. So, you lose on that account as well.
            Well, it isn't BS. It also doesn't help that the problems actually stem a little further back, which is what you're actually missing here.

The Federal Reserve Bank is not owned or operated by the U.S. Government. The Federal Reserve Bank is an independent Bank. It doesn't follow banking rules all other institutions must follow and can charge any rate of interest it deems.

You control a Country's currency. You control said Country.

2. Josak profile image61
            Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wellt he main issue here is that all other countries also had strong religious traditions, as it stands measuring how religious a country is, is a decent method of seeing how it's doing economically, the less religion the better the economy.

2. gabgirl12 profile image59

Every country has its great moments KFlippin. The only reason a country would go to the 'toilet' would be because of poor management by its government.

3. profile image54
        Mors Pulchraposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You don't seem to be informed of the fact that the original founders of said country were Masonists and Pagans, so I find it an absolute hilarity that you draw  such an absent-minded conclusion that Christianity or what are considered "Traditional Religions" has anything to do with it. "In God We Trust" has nothing to do with 'God' in the traditional sense, it actually refers to humanity, or in more frank terms; "In Ourselves We Trust". The country has gone downhill because, the Military-Industrial Complex no longer has any need for it's 'serfs', so to speak. As machines for labor and monetary enslavement is much more easier to achieve, then appeasing the people who no longer serve a pragmatic purpose.

6. Shanna11 profile image75
    Shanna11posted 11 years ago

There are some pretty HUGE generalizations being made in this forum. Just sayin'

lol lol

1. Shanna11 profile image75
        Shanna11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm feeling like a very passive-aggressive Captain Obvious right now.

I need to go hit something. Hard.

lol lol
          By all means, feel the need, go right ahead....just don't injure someone else or yourself while doing so.

2. profile image0
          Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I get that way in here often as well, Shanna.  Just don't do any significant damage - and trust me - there are more like us out there than we realize.  smile

7. Druid Dude profile image59
    Druid Dudeposted 11 years ago

Getting rid of Obama might restore order to the healthcare bill's chaos. Probably not, but the people may think it's worth atry!smile

8. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 11 years ago

In the earlier years there was a long time before religion established itself in a godless environment. Those who perpetuate this ideology that being without religion is better than being with religion Where then were these utopian society that functions without religion such as the Romans, Spartans and such? Killing for sport was a past time in these cultures and that is supposed to be better than having religion?

A lot of American criminals did not live their life by biblical Scripture and so we had gangland warfare with people like Al Capone, Machine Gun Kelly, Bonnie and Clyde, The Purple Gang etc.

Time and again prisoners have stated After Finding Religion They Gave Up their violent ways.

1. Barnsey profile image69
      Barnseyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Then they get out of jail and commit the same sort of crime once again. Religion does not change desperate men, it enlightens them, forgives them and reaffirms the understanding that no matter what they do it wont matter in the end, they are forgiven. Great job, religion, great job!

2. Josak profile image61

Firstly those empires were not a-religious they had their own faiths, second the bible tells us to murder women for not being virgins on their wedding nights and to stone people to death for picking up sticks on Sunday.

The point here is not however if religion was good thousands of years ago but if the slow death of religion that we are experiencing is good or bad for the country, this is simply a factual statistic reply to the claim that it will cause a moral collapse. I know the subject upsets some but i am simply presenting the facts as they are.

9. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 11 years ago

It would appear that non-religious perspectives is doing anything.

Doing anything? WOW! You really don't put much faith in humanity, huh? To think that non-religious perspectives are about doing anything is absurd.

The world is made up 90% religious. So, you tell me who is screwing up this world?

1. SpanStar profile image60
        SpanStarposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Cagsil,

I'm thinking you must be a pretty lonely person in the world you have created for yourself because reading your posts it seems as though you dislike everyone and everything. If your a 90% is correct it is not those of religious faith who are in America who is in control.

Sounds like you're talking about your own reflection. I don't dislike anyone and I don't dislike everything. I'm actually quietly neutral. I do however enjoy pointing out actions. And since I do it so well, it makes people stop and think, and whether or not, it makes you stop or think, is irrelevant. I'm sure you won't understand that, but it's okay. You don't have to. It's beyond your control.
          The religious faith? Is fictional in America.

It is now and has become nothing more than a punchline. The true controllers of Congress, probably don't even live in America, but pull the strings of those in power.

Whether or not, those people are of a religious faith? I would say not considering they are dishonest, egotistical and prefer people bow to them and their power and wealth.

Oh wait? Some religious folk have some of the same qualities- dishonest and egotistical. They probably don't strive for power and wealth, but then again I don't need to point out the TV types that do.

It's all about power, wealth and influence. Feed you a lie, let you live the lie and demand your obedience as instructed by laws not made of choice but force.

All laws defy a person's responsibility. A person don't live a responsible life if they have to live by someone else's rules or laws.

quietly neutral? !! lol

Actually, yes I am.

This is the only forum I talk on or belong to. I talk religion nowhere else. If it comes up in conversation with people I interact with, I do what I can to contain my amusement and quietly listen. If I feel comfortable, then I will further discuss it with them.

None of my writing screams or rants or rages against religion. I do speak that people who believe they have a personal relationship with a G/god to keep it to themselves and out of my life. Meaning, it's your belief, then it applies to you and your life. I have one hub about the fear religion bestows on people.

I find it rude of Christians and other religious folk who include everyone in their belief. It's YOUR relationship. It's YOUR belief. It's YOUR life. Keep it.

Thanks for the "G/god" that was cute!

True!

Hey, are you still on fb?

I don't presently have Facebook opened in a tab, no. I didn't throw away my membership-btw. wink

lol

2. gmwilliams profile image84

Totally concur with you Cagsil.   A person can be religious all he/she wants to be.  That is fine; however, many religious people want to prosletyze other people to believe in the same fashion as they do.   These religious people do not know how to mind their business.   They portend if they "have seen the light" so to speak, then everyone else should see the light or not, these religionists consider them to be "lost souls" who should reform or "face dire conseaquences".  Many religious people do not know how to mind their own business.    Do not try to prosleyyze others- they are on their individual path to the ultimate whether it is God or something else.  However, many religious people believe that THEIR religious path is the ONLY TRUE path!  How atavistic is that!

Many people use religion as a security blanket and insurance.   They do not believe in their religious doctrine.   They are just their particular religion only nominally.   If you ask them if they actually believe in their particular faith, they would say no way.    They use religion as a ruse to appear socially acceptable in the eyes of others.   They also use religion to protect them against so-called eternal damnation.   Many people confuse religion with spirituality.   These components are widely different.   One does not have to profess a religious belief to be spiritual.    Atheists can be or are spiritual.   Spirituality liberates while religion imprisons.  Spiritual people are fun to be around, religious people, well........need I say more!   Spirituality is welcoming while religion instills fear and human sacrifice.   Yes, I said it?   Fear of living one's life with juice because that is a "sin" and will lead ultimately to "perdition".    Human sacrifice because adhering to religious dogma sacrifices one's basic humanity/humanness and all this entails thus making one into a joyless automaton!

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image78

he does come across as angry alot, I agree. I wonder why? Being peaceful is more fun, ey? I guess that's why I stay out of this forum....but hey....it's fun to debate once in a while?

10. ledefensetech profile image69
    ledefensetechposted 11 years ago

If a lack of religion will not destroy family values and society, how is it that these values get passed from generation to generation.  How do you keep morality from becoming relative?  When that happens, anything goes.  How do you discriminate between actions that make a more harmonious society and actions do not?  Once you've decided on what increases harmony in society, are you sure that people who believe in religion are incapable of seeing the same actions that increase harmony?  How do you explain the mass starvation and mass murder of millions of people at the hands of the theists in control of communist countries or the psuedo-pagans of Nazi Germany?

1. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I hate to agree with you, but the irrational believe in the soul and the assertion of the sanctity of human life are things we cannot do without.

Western materialism has brought Christian culture to a sad low point but most Christian values have been passed on to humanists and we will have to hope for the best.

The reality is that it is capitalism that has taken such a toll on the family. The opportunities on offer to individuals often trump family loyalty.

Also, in the less advanced stages of capitalist development, long working hours destroy even that remnant of family life, the nuclear family, as I said in my earlier post.

1. Jane Bovary profile image84
        Jane Bovaryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think you might have that the wrong way around. Modern Christianity has, over time, taken onboard humanist, secular values and not the reverse. Humanism is not based on Biblical morality.

Edited to add:

LSH did not derive from Christian structures, but from politico/philosophical ideas birthed during and after the Renaissance when Europeans were rediscovering ancient Greek and Roman texts, which held themes of beauty, reason, and the essential richness of the material world---which was in direct conflict with Christian values of humility, meekness, and eschewing this world in apprehension for the next. Very much unlike Christian thinking at the time, Humanism began to value the human being as a living creature (a value adopted from the Greeks), not as a corrupt vessel filled with sin.

http://hermetic.com/eidolons/On_Liberal … r_Humanism

1. ledefensetech profile image69
          ledefensetechposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I suppose you've never heard of Thomas Aquinas then?  He was one of the major movers to get ancient Greek and Roman thought talked about in the West.  This led directly to the Renaissance which you conveniently use as your starting point.  Like most progressives (you're not a liberal no matter how much you protest) you conveniently ignore cause and effect.  That track you posted was especially revolting to someone who uses the word liberal in it's original context, someone who believes liberty is the original state of humankind.

You'd see us slaves to the so-called political elite.  I cannot imagine a more evil outcome.

Well pardon me for stepping on your sacred cow.

Why? Because I don't agree that taxation is theft? That I prefer a secular morality? I don't recall discussing anything else with you.

2. ledefensetech profile image69

Why is is irrational to think that something of what we are might exist after our physical body dies?  Even prehistoric man would leave trinkets and tools as well as prepare the body of the deceased.  That suggests that even primitive man believed something of us remains after we die.

Ugh.  Another anit-captialist rant.  One of the main problems with those is that it completely ignores the fact that capitalism is private ownership of goods and services, which equates to liberty.  Couple that with the free market and you get a society in which the majority of people survive childhood and are able to build a life for themselves.  In pre-capitalistic or pre-free market times, those "poor exploited workers" would have died or never been born.  It wasn't until after things like the Corn Laws were repealed that we really started to see a population boom in the West.  This also, incidentally, is the date the US really became the bread basket of the world. 

Sorry, I also forgot that horrific phrase, don't believe in the sanctity of human life.  So you don't have a problem with death camps then?  How about harvesting people for organs.  I mean if you consider the so-called "greater good" you should just harvest organs from people.  Why not the useless mouths of people who don't produce while you're at it.  I mean if human life has no meaning, why not?

1. Josak profile image61

Because prehistoric man was spot on with all his beliefs which is why obviously our sun is dragged across the sky by a horse every day.

LOL....

2. Josak profile image61

What happens then is people can use their own minds to decide what is right and wrong rather than being brainwashed into it, we don't need to be told we will go to hell for murder to realize it's wrong, ethical systems which are fundamentally the same developed all around the world completely separately from each other, the greatest ethical anomalies we find in that growth are actually those caused by religion (ritual human sacrifice for example) exempting religious ceremonies ever culture understood that theft, murder etc. were wrong.

I also seriously question the ethical base of the established religions the bible for example instructs us to murder non virgin women on their wedding day, to stone people to death for picking up sticks on Sunday and to make up for rape by marrying the victim and paying the father a dowry.

Anyway the fact suggest there is no link between moral behavior and religious belief.

The problem is that most people are ignorant.  One of the reasons that the Enlightenment was a true revolution was due to the fact that for the first time, a literate society began to question the assumptions under which they held their beliefs.  Most people who argue against Christianity do so from the argument that the Bible is inherently contradictory.  Well that's true.  It still doesn't mean that you can't learn something from it.  What you have to do is apply reason to what you find in the Bible. 

What that means is for the most part you can pass on anything that doesn't follow the golden rule "Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you".  So immediately you ignore anything about not suffering witches to live, stoning non-virgin women, etc. 

Also what you don't seem to get is that people are always free to choose.  If they don't like what a religion preaches, they either go to another church or stop going altogether.  The only time religion becomes a problem on a mass scale is when people try to yoke religion to government.  That's where we get the religious wars of the 17th century, the destruction of the Templars, persecution of "heretics", etc.  That's why we've been relatively free of the types of atrocities that goes on around the world like Irish Catholics and Protestants, Sunni and Shiite, Muslim and Indian, etc.  People must be free to choose for themselves otherwise violence follows.

You also don't provide anything to back up your assertion that lack religion doesn't destroy families.  You're making statements not having a discussion.

3. recommend1 profile image60
      recommend1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Morality is only ever relative - unless of course you think that your own version is right and others wrong.  This is why intelligent people understand that Ethics is the way to go.

If you want to argue this point then maybe you can answer first why those people you denigrate so casually have what you would consider far higher moral values than western societies ?

Living here in your land of apparent mass-murderers, looking at your country mass-murdering people all over the world daily, I see stronger family values than the US ever had, and values that are undented even in the face of the new capitalism that is making more Chinese richer every day at a faster rate than any country has ever experienced in history.

So you're saying that under certain circumstances it's OK to murder, cheat, lie, steal, etc.?  How do you tell when it's right to murder for example.  Note I did not say kill but murder.  When is it OK to steal?  How do you know?

Are you really sure that morality is relative?

Secular morality is not synonymous with moral relativism...it doesn't preclude moral universalism.

You seem to be saying that  moral codes can't exist without the stamp of certainty that religion provides. Or if they do, they can't be effective. Morality is 'transmitted' throughout cultures all the time without religion.

2. Josak profile image61

If a man is starving and has to feed his family I would say it is morally permissible to steal, if a man were to go back and murder Hitler as a young man I would classify that as moral etc. I am utilitarian and I know for a fact that morality is relative.

How is stealing ever acceptable? Never mind morally sound?

Stealing is a choice. It is apparently the only choice that particular individual sees(perceives) as an option, regardless of whether it is right or wrong.

There are always two sides to everything, choice is never limited to ONE option, otherwise it is oppression.

A person steals for many different reasons and to say that one is more meaningful than another is pretty down right dumb.
            Really? And how did you arrive at that conclusion?

1. Josak profile image61

Stealing is acceptable in plenty of situations, to save lies, to feed people allowing others to die is the greater evil than theft, it's a simple equation, utilitarianism is the greatest good for the greatest number, we must balance the bad of one person losing a small profit against the good of people not starving.

I know that because I have been put in the right circumstances, I have killed and stolen because the circumstances demanded it, as a guerrilla in my home country and as a kid growing up on the street and I have done things that I would never do in other circumstances, I fought to get rid of dictatorship which murdered tens of thousands of it's own citizens for having the temerity to call for democracy or be leftists, I committed plenty of small and large evils to that end and I believe every one was morally permissible to that end, just like a Jewish resistance member under the Nazis or any other similar situation.

Really?

So, give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime, doesn't apply?

Taking from someone else, robbing Peter to pay Paul is not the answer.

1. Josak profile image61

I have nothing against teaching people to escape poverty that does not change the given situation where people are starving and the only way to survive is to steal such situations are very common.

Really? WOW! And to think people think I have a limited understanding. lol lol

2. Reality Bytes profile image75
                    Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am confused?

You posted this to me on another thread, is it OK to break the Law when you are the one doing it?

2. tirelesstraveler profile image60

If morality is relative then I suspect that when I disagree with you on what is moral then I am the one that is wrong.

1. Josak profile image61

Nope we just disagree, if there is no real evidence for either side then neither side is right or wrong they just differ in opinion.

11. Jane Bovary profile image84
    Jane Bovaryposted 11 years ago

If we're talking Christianity, Jesus certainly didn't seem to place a high value on family values.

Matthew 10:35-36: I have come to set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother…and one’s enemies will be those of his household.

1. Josak profile image61

"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters yes, even his own life he cannot be my disciple.     (Luke 14:26, 33)

Reading these passages, one might be forgiven for thinking family values exist in spite of Christianity, not because of it.

12. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

Many traditionally religious people are some of the most inhumane people around.  They are the parents who routinely disown their children if they dare to go on their own individual/spiritual paths.   How many traditionally religious people throw their children out of the family home because of unplanned, unwed pregnancy, and/or being LBGT.   Religion being analogous to moral and humane values.   Please,  religious people have been guilty of some of the most insidious crimes throughout history.  Think about the so-called witchcraft trials which were subterfuges of executing women who did not conform to the strictly religious society of the day.   Also think about almost every progressive movement e.g. the birth control movement by Margaret Sanger by religionists because they feared that women's reproductive freedom would "destroy family values."  It is the traditionally religious people who praise AIDS as a punishment for homosexuals.   Religious people have morality and humanity- oh come on, now!    Many wars and massacres were done in the name of religion.

You know I worked with kids from "disadvantaged backgrounds" is the current buzzword I think.  It was rare that I'd see a kid from a religious background.  Mostly what I saw were kids from single parent homes, parents who did not meet the responsibility of raising a child, etc.  Ten years I cleaned up other people's messes.  Did a pretty good job too as quite a number of those kids went on to become productive members of society.  What separated those kids from the ones who did not succeed was something as simple as belief.  Most times they couldn't articulate why they had faith, but they believed in something more than themselves, their condition, their background.  That gave them the power to change their circumstances.

Many so-called disadvantaged children do have religious backgrounds.  Quite a few of them come from extremist religious backgrounds.   As I have reiterated, many religious people disown and throw their children out because their children's beliefs, morality, and philosophical views do not correspond with that of the former.   Many religious parents are quite authoritarian in their views.   They portend that their religious views are the only acceptable views.   Their philosophy regarding different belief and philosophical systems is quite unaccepting and intolerant.   If their children disagree with their premise, the parents either coerce their children to believe in the family religion or they entirely disown them or throw them out!   

People do reform without religion.    In fact, people have better lives without religion.   Religion is just a crux to make people give their power and individuality away to an authority figure who is no more than anyone else is.   Religion is for those who are not courageous enough to fearlessly live their lives on their own terms.  A person needs religion like a fish needs a bicycle!   Many crimes have been created in the name of religion than anything else!   

Religion creates prejudice against those who do not conform to the religious consensus e.g. many people were burned and hanged throughout the Middle Ages and Early Modern Times because they refused to adhere to the prevailing religious consensus of the time.    Religion further inculcates the idea that women are inherently evil and inferior to men hence the misogynic attitude towards women's reproductive rights and other advancements e.g. the debate regarding abortion and contraceptive technologies.   

Religion has archaic philosphies regarding almost every aspect of life.   Society has progressed to the 21st century while organized Western religion has remained in the early medieval stages.  Religious premises are certainly nonapplicable to the postmodern era.   More and more people are becoming spiritual without religion.   Religion will eventually be dissolved because of its authoritarian emphasis on conformity and adhering to one set of morality.  As people become more educated, they will hopefully become less religious!

1. Paul Wingert profile image60
          Paul Wingertposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Religion has gotten out of hand since the fall of the Roman Empire. Religions like Judaism, Christianity, and yes, Islam were invented to promote faith hot historical accuracy or science since modern science didn’t show up till the Renaissance. But in this day and age some believers try desperately, and very poorly, to disprove evolution and the Big Bang. Yet they forget, or conveniently forget that these ancient stories were that, stories to promote faith and that’s all.

Oh yes, this is so true Paul.  Many religionists actually believe that the world is only 6,000 years old!  Go figure out this illogical premise!  Well, off to view my history channel dvds on religion!

13. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 11 years ago

This thread in regard to the morality, or "right and wrong" of stealing, nicely illustrates how morals are totally subjective and why they should be dumped - and ethics used to replace them.

Josak, as a child on the streets of Argentina, stole to survive and is being told he was wrong.  To tell him he is wrong is patently absurd and naive, and stretches the position of morality past breaking point.  Any number of instances can be put up to show this break point in applying moral values, if any of the commentators to this thread had their own child starving to death in front of them they would steal to feed it if necessary, or they would be themselves morally wrong and bankrupt of humanity.

The rather stupid comment that stealing in concentration camps was condemned by the inmates is about a totally different situation, that was stealing from other inmates from a shared, limited and tiny source of food.

Using morals in an argument only creates clashes with other 'morals', Josak was on the streets in Argentina because of the immoral actions of others, the right wing government of that country at that time could be seen as immoral in its actions and disregard for any responsibilities it might have toward its citizens.

If anyone wants to argue that morals are absolute, then the whole issue of anyone being poor in a world with so much more than enough to go around is immoral, that Josak was starving on the streets as a child is immoral, and if Josak had behaved 'morally' (within that whole immoral situation) he would have died.

14. JSChams profile image59
    JSChamsposted 11 years ago

Hey Josak,

I haven't read through all these posts but here is an interesting question as relates:

How are you  proposing to"get rid of religion"?

1. JSChams profile image59
      JSChamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow it's amazing. Thought I asked a question. I guess atheist communists are all deaf.

1. Josak profile image61

Still throwing around labels and then whining about your side being called racist huh? I am not a communist as you well know and I didn't see the question.

I am not actually proposing getting rid of religion at all, I don't mind people having faith, besides education is doing that all by itself, religion is fading, it does not need to be gotten rid of. What I do want to get rid of is this assumption that religiosity implies morality.

1. JSChams profile image59

Well I was just wondering how someone was going to go about getting rid of religion. I'm very interested in hearing all about that.

1. Josak profile image61

Btw I think you are wanted back on the thread you started about France. As I said I don't think religion is a positive thing most of the time but I certainly don't presume to tell other people what they can and can't believe as long as no one forces their faith or it's beliefs on me then I won't attempt to force atheism on them.

2. JSChams profile image59

But your title implies it would be an actively sought thing. i mean even more so than the intolerant people hear rant about.

It's intolerance unless you are talking about Jews and Christians and then it's sport.

1. Josak profile image61

Not at all as it says under the title it is simply in response to all those hubs claiming that the decline of religion will bring about a moral collapse, which is an incredibly arrogant claim. I don't believe in change by force anyway, all that is required to get rid of religion is education. Also I regard most religions with equal distrust I was raised in a Catholic orphanage which rather put me off that flavor but that's besides the point, the religions I respect are those like Buddhism that don't advocate evangelizing or forced conversions and which keep to themselves (in the main) faiths that fail to do that are all the same in my book.

15. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

20/20
    Episode: Heaven: Where Is It? How Do We Get There?
    NEW

People from around the world and of different religious beliefs share their views on heaven.

CC

9:01 - 11:00 PM KABC (7)

West Coast. If elsewhere, you've missed it.

16. profile image58
    jnatstarposted 11 years ago

Did it ever occur to you that it is possible that because American religious values are so watered down and filled with happy warm and fuzzy feelings and promises of salvation from church leaders who are looking to build the next mega church that yes, what you stated in your article may have SOME truth to it? Christians who live in other countries see the U.S. as a warehouse for all the souls waiting to go to hell. We do what makes us feel good most the time, Christians and non-believers alike. Because religion has been pushed aside IS exactly the reason why American society is the way it is.

1. Josak profile image61

That precisely occurred to me which is why I also included some examples of other countries, the higher the religiosity in them the higher the crime rate etc. it's not just an American issue.

17. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Where are the threads of yesteryear...?

1. recommend1 profile image60
      recommend1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You mean all those semi-intelligent threads with interesting commentaries by interesting people,  well they have all been banned for calling windbags windbags, fools fools, and those foul moralising christians bigots.

I note that the snake is banned again for asking about cheating in an HP contest and calling somebody or other what they are.

1. Josak profile image61

It really is far too easy to get banned.

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wondered why I hadn't seen him around again. I wonder how long this time.

1. paradigmsearch profile image61

I found the thread. Never saw this message by a moderator before. "This thread is now closed due to a large number of accurate personal attack flags." Yep, HP really does need more religion threads. big_smile

2. Cagsil profile image71

Hey Para, 3 months. hmm

Ya know. If we had thread filters so that the religion threads weren't in our face all the time, I bet a lot fewer people would be banned around here.

No Para, I don't think it would do any good whatsoever because it requires participating in the forum thread for which will get you banned, depending on the context of sentence.

My theory is that out of sight, out of mind. For me, if I don't see the religion threads unless I make an overt act to access them, I'm pretty sure I would access them less often. Thus less opportunity to get in trouble. big_smile

1. Brandon Tart profile image60
                  Brandon Tartposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Religion is a built in phenomenon.  From Latin, religare, meaning to bind together... people are going to bind together because we have an innate drive toward being social, as we are social creatures - the human race.

Now, Christ would like us to bind together in love and fellowship with one another, but recognize his role as loving God, compassionate savior of all of our individual malice, deceit, ego and hate - the human race.

The only thing that will destroy society is when the time to do the latter runs out for the human race.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)