Is it still good practice to put your title in the summary?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Thomas Swan profile image95
    Thomas Swanposted 10 years ago

Following my investigation into good SEO practice, I decided to write the title of my hubs as the first words in the hub summaries. So the summary would start with the title, followed by a hyphen (dash) and a brief description. I do this on almost all of my hubs, but I don't like doing it because it seems pointless to reproduce the title there.

So my question is, does google still like it if you do this? There have been a lot of changes to google recently, and many of those have been aimed at rendering SEO useless. I wouldn't want to be harming my traffic by doing something that I never wanted to do in the first place. If there's any SEO experts here with recent information on the matter, please help!

1. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You don't get much space in the summary, why repeat the title? Get your main keywords (or synonyms perhaps) in there, then a bit of a teaser.

1. wilderness profile image93
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Agreed.  Get the keywords in, along with a hook to snag the reader.

2. Pamela N Red profile image84
        Pamela N Redposted 10 years agoin reply to this

My thoughts exactly, It's redundant. You've already got it in the search address use that space for more keywords that aren't in your title.

3. Thomas Swan profile image95
        Thomas Swanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The idea is that your main keywords are already in the title, so you'll want to repeat them in the summary for maximum effect. I don't know why it's good practice to do that, just that it supposedly is. But yea, I'd rather do it your way.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image59
          The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Browsers - especially Google - do not like the same keywords being repeated too often.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Repeating your main keywords is completely different from repeating your whole title.  Obviously it's a good thing to have keywords in your summary.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image59
            The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it is good to have keywords, but having the same one(s) repeated too often is not good. It is better to use a variety of keywords, just not too many.

2. AMAZING THINKER profile image60
      AMAZING THINKERposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't matter!!
      There are only 2 things you should optimize for Google.
      1. Title
      2. Links

It's enough to use your keyword once in the title. You repeat it twice, thrice...it still has the same value.
      Let's say you are optimizing your hub: top 10 best football players of all time. You want to also target the people who are looking for the top soccer players.
      The best way to write it, is: Top Football Players of all time | Best Soccer Players.
      Note that I used both Top and Best in a natural way. 
      But say for some reason I can't use both of them. In that case, I will have to get links with the anchor text using that word.
      Summaries are for people not for search engines. So write a summery that will attract more clicks.

Using the title in your summery will not harm your rankings, but it won't benefit you either.

1. lovebuglena profile image85
        lovebuglenaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I thought hub summary was the meta description that is used for search engine crawlers (not sure saying that correctly)...

1. AMAZING THINKER profile image60

Not at all!
          They did it in the past, and obviously spammers and black hat SEOs used that to get to the top, so they don't anymore.

2. Writer Fox profile image31
          Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

On HubPages, what you fill in as a 'Summary' is coded as the 'Description Tag.'  Go to any of your Hubs and right click to 'View Source.'  Hit 'Ctrl F' and find the word 'description.'  You'll see the summary you wrote coded as the 'Description Meta Tag.'

Why do you have to do that? It appears in the search results; it's obviously the meta description tag. She is asking if Google's crawlers use that to determine the content, which is a No!

1. Writer Fox profile image31

You made a comment in this post that the 'Summary' was not the 'Meta Description Tag' and that is not true:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/118843#post2512366

In this Forum post you made, I have no idea what you mean by "Why do you have to do that?" Google does indeed use the Description Tag as one part of its algorithm which determines information on a webpage and which search queries the page will answer.  (It's not the only factor used to determine content on a page, but it is a significant factor.) It doesn't always use the Description Tag as the Snippet in search results; Google might take some other portion of a webpage to use as the Snippet to match it to a particular search query. That's why Google highlights words in the Snippet which are relevant to the search query – this shows the searcher how the webpage answers his query.

Yeah but that in no way affects the search rank!
                Google highlights them for the searcher to see.

Thanks for the advice and discussion Amazing Thinker and Writer Fox. I see there's some disagreement about whether it affects search rank. At the very least, those words being emboldened/highlighted in the snippet will help, but if there's no ranking benefit, maybe it's not worth it.

The `top 10 best football players' hub has surpassed all my expectations with the title it has. That was my first `big traffic' hub, so I'm very happy with it... even though I wish my more intellectually stimulating hubs would do better smile I'll remember your advice though, and consider it in future.

Congratulations on the mega-success of your Hub:
                    http://hubpages.com/hub/Top-10-Best-Foo … f-All-Time

3. lovebuglena profile image85
      lovebuglenaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You don't need to include the whole title in the summary but sometimes it may be a good idea, especially if the hub is a how-to do something hub.

Thanks for the advice. Yes, in some of my hubs I've put a partial title in the summary; especially if the title is quite long.

4. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't know where that comes from, but it sounds like pretty dumb advice to me.

The idea of the summary is that it may be used as the description which appears under the Hub title in Google results. That's the "teaser" which is going to tempt the reader to click on your Hub instead of the result above or below it.  If your summary is just your title repeated, it's going to look spammy and make the reader less likely to click.

Yea, that does worry me a bit. It might be worth changing them all just to avoid the spammy look. Something to think about for sure.

5. Writer Fox profile image31

Google normally shows 157 words (including spaces) for your Description Tag.  It won't always use the tag you specify, depending upon the search query. But, for SEO, Google takes your Description Tag seriously as your statement about the content of your webpage (Hub) and will use it as one of the SEO signals to determine which search queries your Hub might answer.

HubPages puts the date you published or last edited your Hub as the beginning of the Description Tag.  In the example below, I lost 22 characters (including spaces) from my 157 allotment for the tag because of the date insertion. So, keep that in mind. You can see the full Description Tag on your Profile page, but that's not what searchers will see. To the searcher, your Description Tag is a sales pitch that either encourages him to click through to your Hub or sends him to the next listing on his search results.

You can duplicate the Title Tag in your Description, but it depends upon how you go about it. In the example below, I duplicated my Title, but I did it as part of a complete sentence i.e., I'm actually talking to the searcher telling him what he can do on my Hub ('What's in it for him') and using a present tense verb and no adjectives ('free' is a keyword and doesn't count as a normal adjective for tags).

The Description Tag also has to overcome the Topic Category HubPages has as the URL for your Hub.  In my example below, people will notice that my Hub is about 'Gender and Relationships' instead of 'gender-and-relationships/marriage/marriage-anniversaries.' Put something in your Description to counteract the bad message that may be sent about your Hub.  I used the word 'spouses' to clarify because my Hub is not about boyfriend/girlfriend anniversaries or a relationship with a mistress or anything else that 'Gender and Relationships' might suggest.

(By the way, if a searcher actually clicks on that link instead of the Title, he is taken to your Profile where all of your Hubs under that Topic are listed which is really bad.  Not only is the searcher taken to a different page (not your Hub at all), but he might see something else you wrote under that Topic which is vastly removed from what he was searching for and might even be offensive to him.  If you have many Hubs under a Topic (some people have hundreds), the searcher will probably just click away because he can't find what he is looking for.) 

This is what works for me.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8569474_f248.jpg

1. Will Apse profile image88
        Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

'Google normally shows 157 words (including spaces) for your Description Tag.'

'Characters' not 'words'.

Thanks for correcting that - it was after a long day.  It's characters and spaces.

Thanks for the wealth of good advice in your comments Writer Fox. Lots to think about. I think I'll try your technique and be a bit more subtle and creative about how I use keywords in the summary.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image59
    The Examiner-1posted 10 years ago

I do not see the use in repeating the title. The summary is a very short version of what your Hub is about to attract readers. Repeating the title in there is just using up the space for your summary.

Thanks for the advice examiner. You are probably right.

3. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 10 years ago

SEO advice out there is at times contradictory and often outdated, especially with the amount that google has changed over the last couple of years.

It used to be that your keywords should be in your title and the description (the HP summary). So if the keywords are the title of your hub you would repeat them in your summary to gain maximum benefit from your SEO..

HOWEVER, i have no idea if that still holds true. You could go look at several high ranking hubs for various searches and see how many have the keywords that they rank highly for within their title and in the summary if you want confirmation if it has an effect. Although with google claiming 200+ things to affect your ranking it would be hard to know for sure if it were the inclusion of your keywords in the summary or some other factor that was helping.

Personally I tend to include the keywords but I write them into the summary in a "normal" way, not keywords followed by the summary.. Your summary may act as your description so it had best also act as a hook to gain the interest of the searcher and encourage them to take the bait and go read..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)