BANNATION!

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (38 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8535379.jpg
    What is YOUR opinion regarding the rules of receiving or being banned from the forums?  Do YOU believe that the rules applied regarding being banned is unfair, with some being singled out for being banned while others who commit more egregious acts are NEVER banned?  If YOU were even banned for one reason or another, did YOU feel that the ban was fair or unfair? Why? Why not?
    http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8558489_f248.jpg

1. profile image0
      Ben Blackwellposted 10 years agoin reply to this

At one point recently, I was banned for a day for a very bad reason.  I made a post about something external to Hubpages.  I posted a link to it and asked other people if they've ever dealt with it before.  Minutes later, I am suddenly banned for a day with no reason and nobody to contact.  Hubpages is very good at hiding contact information or very bad at presenting it.

2. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 10 years ago

I was banned once, last year or maybe earlier, can't remember now. At the time, I had absolutely no clue why and still do not know to this day what my supposed transgression was.

3. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 10 years ago

I was also banned once, for what seemed a pretty silly reason.  Nevertheless, I've watched my words a little better since and have had no problems.

No one is singled out, and the only "unfairness" is that not all are caught.  Sometimes it takes a report, sometimes it doesn't (I think), and I'm OK with that.

4. Zelkiiro profile image86
    Zelkiiroposted 10 years ago

Would be nice if they let us know the reason for bans. And let us be able to defend ourselves.

5. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

It seems pretty straightforward to me.  And for minor things it is only temporary.

6. Shanna11 profile image76
    Shanna11posted 10 years ago

I was banned once.

I totally deserved it, too.

I feel like I'm the only one who will own up to deserving her banning.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh, what I said could have caused hurt feelings.  To a 4 year old, not an adult.

But, of course, that is only my opinion, and my opinion isn't worth squat when it comes to that.  Only HP's counts for anything.

7. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

I didn't know "bannation" was a word... Apparently my spell check didn't either. Well maybe it should be.

gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Bannation is a coined word; it is a cross between ban and damnation.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

lol. Very imaginative. It works.

1. Kiwi Max profile image62
          Kiwi Maxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

When I first read it, it sounded like a mix of banana & badminton. Cool word!

1. janshares profile image94
            jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

LOL! That's what I saw, too. LOL!

Well, maybe not badminton, but certainly banana. smile

2. donotfear profile image84
      donotfearposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Haha!

8. snakeslane profile image81
    snakeslaneposted 10 years ago

I've not been banned from HP forums that I know of, how would I know. Question mark has disappeared with bilingual keyboard, hope that is not cause for banning...

9. Kiwi Max profile image62
    Kiwi Maxposted 10 years ago

I haven't been banned from Hubpages before but is there a post that explains how you can get banned & what can you do if you are banned?

10. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

I was really surprised when I was just banned recently. I couldn't think of anything I'd said to deserve it, so I sent a note asking HPs about it. The funny thing was, I was actually trying to avoid a fight by being lighthearted and making jokes, but once you've been banned, that's that. This is the note HP's sent me.

"Hi Beth,

You were banned from the Forums for three days for bickering and personal attacks:
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/119119? … ost2520774
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/119119? … ost2520784
    Please let us know if you have any other questions/concerns."

No Beth, say it isn't so.  You are so sweet.   You are the LAST person who would be banned.  You are one of the sweetest pesons around.  NO NO NO!

1. profile image0

lol. I never know whether you're joking or not. I have been banned maybe 3 times, I believe they were all talking to the same person. You'd think I'd learn, but I always *feel a sense of humor when I'm talking. I think ppl in real life know me for that, but on here, I spose we miss a lot of each other's meaning and tone. Guess the only choices are to keep trying or to give up.

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
      LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Your posts seemed benign at best. If you were banned for those posts then it seems, to me at least, to be a "childish" attitude from the powers that be.

Anyway on a lighter note " bannation" sounded like "banananation" and it brought memories of something Key West used to be referred to a while back.
      I remember they used to be proud of that.......lol

1. profile image0

It was a "debate thread". I felt like the tone was getting kinda heavy and I didn't want to fight. I do two things to avoid a fight. I run, or I stay and make jokes. It's an attempt to play with the other person and get on a new wavelength, I suppose, but like I said earlier, tone doesn't always come across. Sometimes you can't win I guess. lol

3. Muttface profile image80
      Muttfaceposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I missed this thread completely.
      Lol bickering Beth!

1. profile image0

The rules are very clear. No digested food words, no lighthearted banter.

11. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 10 years ago

I've been banned a few times. Absolutely deserved it and knew I was going to be banned as I wrote the post.

Oh God NO, you are one of the most civil and eloquent persons around.  You are pleasant and a great conversationalist.  What is this world COMING to?  NO NO NO!

1. profile image0

haha... that's very kind, thank you.. There are those who wouldn't agree with you (one very nearby. lol)
        I kind of like Melissa's attitude, if you're gonna do it, get it all out.

12. oceansnsunsets profile image85
    oceansnsunsetsposted 10 years ago

I have observed a lot in the forums over the years, and my experience is mostly in the religious and political threads.  It seems to me that the reporting and banning has gotten worse, though it had been bad for some time.  Sometimes it seems the people that have the best actual arguments or that stick up for others being especially targeted and/or ridiculed, are way too easily banned.  This comes at a time when I see people using really poor arguments, or outright lying, or distorting, to buffet their "sides" which are easily rebutted.  This would obviously cause frustration and I think instead of looking at the problems within their own arguments, they maybe take it out on others.  (This last is one guess, but makes sense in what I observe.)

I have never been banned myself, but I know of many that have been and try to be as fair as I can in my judgements.  When I look back to see their "crimes" I just don't see it and in the mean time see others not getting banned that probably really ought to be. (Considering who IS being banned.) I can't imagine that Hubpages wants this for their site, for the kind of people that end up being driven away from the site and what others it retains and thus attracts more of.  I have seen crazier things though in the world, and wonder at that as well.  People self sabotage the things that could benefit themselves and their community all the time and I don't understand that either.  So thanks for asking.

1. PhoenixV profile image64
      PhoenixVposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well said. For me I cannot even fathom an American advocating censorship of any kind. It literally makes me nauseous.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What about controlling your possessions?  The things you own, like HubPages?  Seems there is a conflict here, and to resolve it by giving the public casual permission to do whatever they wish with the property belonging to a specific group of people isn't the right way to go.

13. Rik Ravado profile image85
    Rik Ravadoposted 10 years ago

I can't believe so many nice people have been banned!  As for Beth's forum posts what can I say?  She's the Forum Queen for goodness sake.  If irony or gentle, humorous sarcasm be a crime so be it.  If sweetness and concern for others be a sin then ban her for ever!

The world has gone mad.  Lets have a troll of the month contest with prizes and be done with it. 

By the way, I must be a right goody two shoes as I have never been banned (until this post, that is)!

1. profile image0

lol. Thanks Rik.
      Be very careful... you never know what they might get you for. smile

14. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 10 years ago

Knowing Hubpages and the P.C. crowd that visit hub forums I consider it an honor to be banned, and  for what , who knows !   Thanks for always letting me  vent though ! So many here I truly loved bantering with though , any body wanna wrestle !.....Beth ?

1. profile image0

smile

15. Muttface profile image80
    Muttfaceposted 10 years ago

I've been banned. It was terribly bad a55ed of me! I believe it was for a curse word - I used digested food as an adjective for something.

16. Anna Marie Bowman profile image74
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 10 years ago

I have never been banned, but mostly because I avoid sensitive topics on the forums when I can. That being said, I think a big part of the reason someone gets banned has less to do with HP staff, and more to do with how much, and how loud someone complains that they have been "wronged" by someone, and that mean, mean person needs to be punished so someone's overly sensitive feelings don't get hurt. I have noticed that people have become increasingly over-sensitive about a lot of things over the past few years. Things that were innocuous topics of conversation have turned into vicious arguments for no good reason. I saw someone on FB ask if they knew is some school district would be closed or not, and it somehow turned into vicious name calling, and use of words that I would rather not repeat, all because one innocent comment "offended" someone.

17. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

People don't have the right to say obscene things in a church or a persons living room against their wishes.  If decorum is such a terrible thing, 4chan is there for people who want to say and post whatever they want.

18. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

Come to think of it, even the government does censorship. If in doubt, go on live network television and drop some F-bombs and flash some boob. Bring your checkbook...

Psycheskinner's examples are valid. People have the perfect right to govern what is said within their domains; such as homes, churches, websites, person's place of business, private funerals, etc.

19. Nell Rose profile image90
    Nell Roseposted 10 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8665366_f248.jpg

You naughty naughty people, in the corner with you! being banned honestly...I mean...well...er...did I ever get banned? um, not sure...probably will now though!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)