To All New Hubbers(Attention)

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Dale Mazurek profile image63
    Dale Mazurekposted 14 years ago

All new hubbers!

Instead of coming on here and asking people to critique your hubs you really are better off looking at other people's hubs and following their leads.

You see there are great people here who are great hubbers.  There are also a lot of great hubs explaining how to write a good hub.

If you are doing it just to get comments then don't.

All you need to do is write good hubs, be active and then some very popular hubbers will look at you and you will get the comments.

If you are hubbing for money then you would do better reading other hubs on monetizing and SEO then begging for comments.

Hubbers are friends but will make you no money.  Its the traffic you drive to the hubs from out side sources that are going to make you the money.

This post isn't meant to be mean to the new hubbers because I am still a new hubber at only a month old.  I too love the comments but my Hub friends are finding me.

Anyways that's enough for now.  I think I feel a new hub coming on.

Dale

1. blaise25 profile image74
      blaise25posted 14 years agoin reply to this

this hub is all about that...

http://hubpages.com/hub/Starting-a-Hub-for-Beginners

would be glad to help

Dale Mazurekposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is a great hub but I think I'm going to focus on one even simpler than that.

Thanks for showing it though.  It will help many people.

2. profile image0
      fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've always thought it kind of phony attention seeking way when people ask for criticisms first thing as soon as they come in. When I came on here, I asked for NOTHING!

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Its a shame that you are such an attention seeker now then isn't it?

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
          Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is no shame if we want attention for good reasons ( my opinion) smile

3. Dale Nelson profile image37
      Dale Nelsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Dale,

I went through most of the comments and as a newbie, it was helpful to read most of the forums and get the gist of the do's and dont's here.

Having an interest in the Seo and money making side of the web, it has been a learning curve so far and have found a great deal of useful info by searching and reading. It is fortunate that a site like hubpages is based on the sharing expertise mentality.So I thank you and those who post great content in their hubpages.

To end with,just writing about my interests in 10 short days and having no comments, I am pleased that I have had 40 view of 4 hubs and counting, that in itself is what i set out to achieve.Just 1 person a day reading what i have written. So I agree with you in that the search to have endless comments is unnecessary.

So thanks for the hubs guys.Keep it up.

Dale in South Africa

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

Well done Dale - you may only be a month old, but you have clearly learned a lot in that time!

I do think a lot of people misunderstand how to make a success of Hubbing - I can't think of any other explanation for the explosion of meaningless threads in the forums.

3. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Dale, my dear, I agree with some of what you said, but not all. I was a new hubber very, very recently. I did read other folks' hubs at first, but had no good sense of what was considered 'good' and what wasn't. I'd never worked with 'capsules' and the like before. I'm used to having more control over my Adsense placement and look than I do here. Why would I want to spend time writing a bunch of hubs the wrong way, when all of you guys were here to tell me if I was even headed in the right direction?

I did ask for critique, I listened and I haven't asked again. And I see a lot of new folks doing the same. If I hadn't asked, I wouldn't have known that you need to split up your text into more capsules to inject more Adsense or things like that. There are some things here that are simply proprietary to HubPages. I've gotten advice from some of the best like Mark Knowles and others and it's been invaluable.

So chill out and help the newbies. But when you come across an obvious fraud, hit them with both barrels, all guns blazing, and I'll be right behind you.

I really have no problem helping the newbies but lets face it it's quite easy to tell the people who are really looking for help or the people who are just trying to pad their comments.

I am still a newbie but I will be the first to help those who are sincere.

I might even be opening a door here but a newbie is even welcome to send me an email asking for help.  I warn you now though.  If it is an email just trying to promote something you will be reported.

Dale

1. lrohner profile image69
        lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are a brave man, Dale. smile

That's what has made me different the last couple of years.  I have been all about helping people who are sincere and trust me I can spot someone trying to fool me a mile away.

I had a few people who were sincere help me on my way in business and I promised myself I would never forget that.

But I do know where you are coming from  LOL

1. Richard Ring profile image59
            Richard Ringposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Props for paying that help forward, much respect; a lot of people get help but never seem to help in return. If only, right? The world would be such a better place.
            Keep at it Dale!

4. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Good comments Dale. By watching how successful hubbers do it one can learn quickly. You are going to do well here in my view!

5. Richard Ring profile image59
    Richard Ringposted 14 years ago

I agree with what you said but I also agree with Irohner. If you ask me, new hubbers who are not familiar with technology will definately come on here and ask for help with things that they could find in other hubs, or by doing some searching around.

I guess there are people who are writers first, technology buffs second. So seeing all of the tools can frighten some and send them asking for help.

Have you ever worked in IT before? If you have, then you'll know that people ask the most mundane stuff in the world but if it's the difference between asking here or not participating at all I'd prefer they ask. =P

But of course, people just trying to promote their shtuff is annoying. No doubt!

Absolutely right.  Big difference in a question like  "What is the best way to use capsules" as opposed to "Please look at my hub."

Being specific I think will help gain and build trust.

Cheers

2. frankiectlus profile image61
      frankiectlusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I definitely fall under the new hubber tag and have figured out the ins and outs of the unspoken rule about trying to get other hubbers to your site.  By reading other hubs, when I first started writing, I understood that outside traffic is where you will get income, if at all. 

When I first signed up, I was doing it mainly as a way to form a new income stream.  Now, I am just enjoying writing articles and sharing them with fellow hubbers and have intertwined them with my other websites.  It is fun seeing as how I am not an IT guy trying to build this network out on the internet to share feelings, ideas, and topics of discussions just for fun.

Oh...and Dale.....Can I email you....I have tons of questions......just kidding

6. AsherKade profile image59
    AsherKadeposted 14 years ago

someone told me my hubs were boring. They didn't mean it harshly, and they were right. I not only made them a fan, but started hunting around hubbers sites like Frog Dropping. I realized then, despite my internet understanding, I was boring the crap out of peole. Funny thing is I am the least boring person on the face of the Earth...my life, my job, everything is like an adreneline rush or being on crack trying to jump a train....lol

http://i44.tinypic.com/34t4dar.jpg

7. nicomp profile image60
    nicompposted 14 years ago

OK, but how do you identify a "great hubber"? Is a high rating always indicative of a great hubber?

Read some hubs and trust me you will identify them.  of course score has a little to do with it but it goes a lot further than that.

people who are providing great information. people who are willing to help and so forth and so forth.

Dale,  lol but I'm not a great hubber yet.  Just look at people like , well I was going to name a few names here but I would feel like an a$$ for missing many others.

2. Jane@CM profile image59
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe that everyone has their own opinion about what is great and what is not.  For example, if a Hub is full of words that I have to open the dictionary to find the meaning (haha), its not a great hub for me, it may be well written, but if I can't understand the verbiage used, than I loose interest fast.

I'm still a newbie and have had questions, I'll post a broad question or I'll do a search in that little white box up above, it usually pulls up everything I'm looking for!

8. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Hmmm.... I think you guys are missing the point somewhat. Yes. Many folks are here to write great hubs. Many are here to write great hubs and make some pesos doing it. Many are here to try to make money without writing anything decent.

Take Nelle Hoxie. She's a great writer, very intelligent, a great diplomat and a fabulous sense of humour. But she is very much focused on making money.

I'm not quite so sure that a newbie would see or understand the differences.

9. emievil profile image67
    emievilposted 14 years ago

Hi Dale. I'm one of the new hubbers who's 'guilty' in terms of asking comments for my hubs. I decided to ask for help when I saw that it was kind of overwhelming to see all those stuff you have to 'click' when you first write a hub. Other than that this is my first time in a writing community where anything and everything goes so I really needed some help. I don't regret asking for help because I got really good advices from there. Maybe next time I can return the compliment to another new hubber (although at 2 weeks, I'm still a 'baby' in hubpages).

Thanks for this forum and the thread, I've picked up a few advices again. More power to you! Cheers!

I certainly don't want new hubbers to not ask.  All I do is suggest you have a look around first and then ask for specifics.  I guess this is more meant for people who are just looking for comments.

I will try and be more specific in my hub.

Cheers and welcome to HubPages. I love it here and so will you.

10. Pearldiver profile image69
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Well done Mr. Dale. As you know it takes 2-3 weeks to start getting your hub ratings etc.

I couldn't help but notice when you first posted your photo that you seem to be displaying a small trout?  As a Kiwi who is used to seeing our kiwi trout in the 10 - 18 lb range, I was wondering if you are holding your trout to show that you could do with a good days fishing?? smile

In all actuality that is an average size walleye.  10 to 18 pounds average that would be fun.  But everyday, if I had it my way would be a fishing day.

1. Pearldiver profile image69
        Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good... then get your butt over here some time then & I'll join yah! big_smile

11. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Walleye is so tasty too smile practically at every fish fry around here lol big_smile

12. Cam Anju profile image67
    Cam Anjuposted 14 years ago

Good Advice! big_smile Comments are nice but asking for crits just for comments is pretty.. umm bla.

SEO-ing for visits, and be part of the community for comments, give and get. wink Awesome!

13. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I would mainly suggest that new hubbers read the help pages, that is what they are there for. All of their questions can be answered there. I like to help new people and I do try but it gets annoying when you see the same questions again and again and again.

When I first started I read the guide they suggested we download and then read the FAQ. And...after that, when I had questions I asked other hubbers and learned from how they constructed their hubs. It's just as fast as posting a question and waiting for the answers.

14. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Sections set aside (within the Forum) for

Novice
    Junior
    Average
    Prodigy

We could (if we wanted) even have user friendly stickers attached, and naughty hubbers getta lil sad face or 'a who me' face?

hehe lol

http://plumblines.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/20080118-confusing-street-sign.jpg

15. profile image52
    hardrubposted 14 years ago

im just a new hubber, and im looking forward of having a lot of friends here, im and hoping also to learn more from them,, hope that we new hubbers were welcome here.....

I know you would have a hard time finding a place better than HubPages for so many things.  Especially for a place that welcomes new Hubbers. 

As long as you take the time to start figuring things out then you will do fine and easily be accepted.

Dale

16. Late2class profile image60
    Late2classposted 14 years ago

Hey dale, think you could take a peak at my hubs and tell me what you think...

haha, j/k

I agree, I did it.  After I wrote my first hub, I asked for an honest opinion.  But I had never written anything online other than a status on facebook.  Wanted to make sure it didn't sound like I was a babbling idiot.  But I didn't know any better at the time, and had no idea that was a way people try to boost their scores or whatever.

In turn, I like reading what comments people make about other peoples hubs.  Since they write their hubs differently, I can take the comments on what they do and turn it into better hubs for me.

Just this newbs opinions, thanks for listening

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)