Wounded

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (12 posts)
  1. healinghands1668 profile image65
    healinghands1668posted 10 years ago

I have been hurt by my significant other, whom I love dearly. ...I believe in forgiveness in a relationship...but I do wonder how much hurt I should be willing to put up with before I get out for my own well-being.

He and I have known each other a long time. We were friends long before we were lovers. I am not willing to lose him from my life, so if I do leave him as a lover...how do I do so in a way that doesn't destroy our friendship?

1. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow, the two of you would have to be willing to remain friends. You would need to put behind any bitterness and ill-will. If you leave him, though he hurt you, he may not take it so well and you have to be prepared for that.

You both need to sit down and talk about the next step in the relationship. He has to understand where you are coming from, where you are now and where you are headed.

I hope he wants to remain friends as well because male egos are hell to contend with and his pride may get in the way.

Also, can you honestly remain friends with someone who hurt you so bad that want to end the intimate part of the relationship? That's a question you need to answer honestly.

healinghands1668posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well, perhaps a little more context is in order. He has not hurt me by being selfish or cruel or uncaring. He suffers from depression, and sometimes that makes him behave in ways that are not in character. Sometimes, it leads him to withdraw for long periods of time. I am not unsympathetic to that, and I honestly do not mind giving him space if that is what he needs. What has hurt me this time is he has made no attempt to contact me and let me know what is going on, or answer my calls or messages or anything like that. It was only by contacting a friend of his that I learned what was going on.

Right now, he's still withdrawn, and so I have to wait for him to reach out to me before I discuss anything with him anyway. But I think I would really need some assurance from him that a.) he still wants me in his life and b.) that next time he feels the need to withdraw, he at least answers one or two messages to tell me so.

I want him to know that I am always here when he needs me, but if I am his lover, I need to be treated as such.

Now that's different.

If he's depressed, now is not a good time to even talk about leaving him. He needs you now more than ever. He is in no state of mind to tell you whether or not he needs you in his life.

As someone who suffered decades of depression, I can tell you that he will withdraw from the people he loves the most because he is trying to avoid hurting you.

So I think you should keep reaching out. Instead of looking for reassurance, you should reassure him that you are there.

If you withdraw from him now, he may never recover. He may think you and all the world is against him. Depressed people DO NOT think rationally and to you it may not make sense. Give him time and love him. Go to him, show him you are still there for him.....

That is, unless you just can't bother.

I can certainly bother. But it is hard to endure the weeks of silence. I have not suffered depression myself, but I am a long time sufferer of anxiety, and this silence has frayed me.

But thank you for the advice. I am worried that my anxieties may prompt me to say or do the wrong thing.

I also worry about whether I should be reaching out or stepping back...

I don't think you should step back. He may think you are stepping back from him or some weird irrational thought. Staying close will help him heal.

December 15, 2005 my boyfriend at the time told me some nasty stuff. I felt alone and shattered. I tried to kill myself. He blamed himself. If he knew my state of mind he would have been more careful about what he said.

Please be patient with him and try not to be too anxious bout him.

I'll do my best. But trying to tell someone with an anxiety disorder not to be anxious is like telling someone with depression not to be depressed.

lol, sorry about that smile

2. savvydating profile image89
                  savvydatingposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's a tough situation. Both of you are suffering--he from depression and you from anxiety. It's not a good mix. Have you sought a doctor to look into anti-anxiety medication? It is actually quite helpful! You might also want to seek professional counseling about your feelings regarding this situation. Before you can help the man you love, you have to help yourself. In other words, you have to see your way clearly and believe in what you stand for and what you need. It sounds like your lover is not intentionally hurting you. He probably does not feel deserving of reaching out because he fears he will fail you again.... and again. He needs your caring, but not at the expense of your well being. Just take care of yourself first. Then you will be in a better position to decide how best to help him. Best of luck to you, sweet one.

Yeah, he and I are a fun pair of neurotics. He really is a wonderful man, though.

2. dashingscorpio profile image81
      dashingscorpioposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's unrealistic to expect to go from being lovers to instant "platonic friends" (as in being like siblings). Someone usually is secretly yearning for the possibility of getting back together. You can't get to second base if you insist on keeping one foot on first base.

You're not ready to be platonic friends until you can (honestly) be happy for your ex when he dates or falls in love with someone else.

The best friendships between exes usually take place after months or years of (not being in contact) and both people have found new love. They may bump into each other someplace and from then on occasionally drop one another an email or send an e-greeting card on birthdays and build a solid platonic friendship from there on. You can't help someone get over you and they can't help you get over them! That's what your other friends are for!

As for how much you should put up with? Life is a personal journey. Each of us gets to have our own "deal breakers". You are responsible for your own happiness. If you're unhappy in a relationship and choose to stay then (you) are choosing to be unhappy. No one is stuck with anyone.

People change when (they) want to change. Accept him as is or move on?
      There are only two ways to experience joy and peace of mind in relationships: we either get what we want or we learn to be happy with what we have.

Best wishes!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)