Tax Confusion this Year

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (20 posts)
  1. kittythedreamer profile image74
    kittythedreamerposted 10 years ago

So are we getting tax info. through Paypal or through Hubpages this year? I don't see my info. in Paypal and Hubpages has a button showing "receive 1099 electronically"...so I'm awfully confused. Did the process change again?

1. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

AWESOME ISSUE Oh dear what should we do with income that is derived on line?3

2. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You will get tax info from neither.  Most simply visit paypal, add up what HP has given them through the year and go with it.  Of course, any Adsense, Amazon or eBay earnings have to be added in as well.

2. NateB11 profile image87
    NateB11posted 10 years ago

My understanding is that Paypal issues a 1099K when earnings reach a certain amount. Here's a link to an article that I found to be informative, but I'm still not sure if online writers are conducting a home business (we sell our work?): http://plantingmoneyseeds.com/3-things- … al-1099-k/

1. NateB11 profile image87
      NateB11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
        Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'd be careful giving this information. It could be taken wrong the way you are wording it, if they don't look at the links. If you are self-employed, which we all are, you have to pay taxes on the money you earned. Please don't go by these figures without reading everything in the links.

2. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I reached the limit where I should have received a 1099 from Paypal both last year and this year. I never received one.

3. tameka carodine profile image60
    tameka carodineposted 10 years ago

im confuse about this to but im also confused about adsense when do adsense get approve at 6 months and how many words are need to get approved.

4. Li Galo profile image75
    Li Galoposted 10 years ago

I'm a practicing tax accountant. Anyone who is an independent contractor and has earned $400 as a self employed individual in a calendar year is required to report those earnings on a Schedule C. If you also have other forms of income that require you to report (like W2 wages, rental income, etc), then even if you earned less than $400, you must include it as part of your total income. I'm not on HP enough to keep up with this thread so if any part of what I said confuses you, please seek the advice of your tax professional. Also, the IRS changes their guidelines periodically. So, this $400 amount I refer to may change in future years. The $400 I refer to is in regards to the 2013 tax filing that we are now doing.... and if you owe taxes, you owe taxes. Even if it's only 5 bucks, you better cough it up by the deadline to avoid penalties, fees and further IRS action against you. The IRS will catch up with you... eventually.

People who earn HP money are independent contractors. As someone else said here, just add up the payments made to you to figure out your total income. You need to report expenses when you are self employed or you may receive a "love letter" from the IRS. The IRS expects any self employed person to have expenses. If they don't have any, they might contact you to find out why you don't. It's highly unusual for any self employed person to not have expenses. The IRS usually notice that oddity. So, if any of this is confusing, this is the time to talk to someone that does taxes for a living. They can really help you to understand these concepts better and figure out what expenses you might have had that you didn't even think of as possibly qualifying as an expense.

5. Li Galo profile image75
    Li Galoposted 10 years ago

I want to add one more thing to bring up with your tax accountant. If writing for profit is what you do, this is considered self employment income. However, SOME people who write as a hobby MIGHT qualify for 'hobby income' and it's possible - though I don't promise it - that you may qualify for hobby income. Ask your tax professional to go through the difference with you.

6. Judah's Daughter profile image77
    Judah's Daughterposted 10 years ago

There was something posted a couple of years ago regarding receipt of a 1099 from HubPages and/or PayPal, namely that we won't receive one. I have since printed out all the payment information from PayPal and submitted that to my Tax Accountant to have it included in my earned income.

7. tameka carodine profile image60

Thank you for this important information .I have a question how many viewrs is needed for adsense approved and how do you know if you are approved.

1. Judah's Daughter profile image77
      Judah's Daughterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

When you are writing a hub, you want to write 1250 words or more, include at least three photos and one or two videos (optional).  Content is important, as well as your use of the English language. If you are writing in broken English, have misspelled words and so forth, the hub may not be considered "quality".  If you meet all these guidelines, however, you should publish 10-20 hubs that are featured by HubPages before applying for AdSense, so you are most likely to get approved.  I think it takes longer to get approved when you've been rejected.   Once you're approved with AdSense you can then get approved for the HubPages earnings program.

8. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

There are no specific rules.  Just try to make good hubs and ensure they do not break any Adsense requirements (e.g. no sex, alcohol etc).

9. tameka carodine profile image60

What is the correct way to put in  your google adsense url and why is my earning page still pending .

10. tameka carodine profile image60

How can i tell how much i have earned so far my earnings say zerowhy is that.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Tameka, you are asking irrelevant questions on a thread about tax.  Please start your own thread to ask your questions, and make some attempt to find out the answers for yourself first:

http://hubpages.com/faq/

2. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You will not be able to earn anything until you have some featured Hubs.  Right now, you don't have any so you have no income from writing on HubPages.

Here's the information for using HubPages and earning through advertising programs:
      http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/contents

If you do not already have an AdSense account, you will need to publish 20 – 30 featured Hubs before applying and you must be at least 18 years old.

1. tameka carodine profile image60
        tameka carodineposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for that information it is very helpful.

2. tameka carodine profile image60
        tameka carodineposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for that information it is very helpful.

11. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 10 years ago

Just a note on tax - all the replies on this thread relate to US tax.    If you're not American, they don't apply to you!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)