Someone has asked to use my hub. What should I do?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (38 posts)
  1. vocalcoach profile image94
    vocalcoachposted 10 years ago

I received this message in an email. "Hello Audrey
    I am writing to ask permission to share your story, Saving a life and the power of words. I am a pastor's wife and will be sharing a devotion on the power of words and was searching for a story to drive the point home when I came across your story. I would only be reading it as part of a devotion I will be sharing with our ladies. What a powerful story. Thank you for sharing and please let me know if I have permission to share your story.

Thank you and God bless,
    Cheryl

Sent from my iPhone

1. Faith Reaper profile image82
      Faith Reaperposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am thinking along the lines of Marisa, and I think if what you have written will bless many, then that is a wonderful thing, so long as you are given the credit as the author and it is not reprinted and distributed (unless you do not mind), and just read.

2. bravewarrior profile image88
      bravewarriorposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Audrey, I think I would get a little more information in her and her group. What's the name of the organization/church? What's her last name? Where is she located? Website? Get something you can verify before agreeing. If she seems legit and sincere after checking her out, I think it would be an honor for your words to be shared. Just make sure your CYA.

1. Twilight Lawns profile image72
        Twilight Lawnsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree, Brave Warrior.  This person seems to be so "lovely", "sincere", and with all the "right credentials".  So why are there no real details?
        She seems a little bit too good to be true.

2. vocalcoach profile image94
        vocalcoachposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Sha, this is good advice and exactly what I'll do.  Thanks so much!

1. bravewarrior profile image88
          bravewarriorposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome, Audrey. I'm glad you saw beyond my typos! :-)

I've received 3 more of these from different people.  Now I'm convinced this is a scam.

1. Hyphenbird profile image81
              Hyphenbirdposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That is a shame; makes me very sad.

3. profile image0
      Bob Bambergposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'd let Cheryl read the story, Audrey, with the understanding that attribution is required.  If she wanted to re-print it as a handout, I'd grant permission for that as well, as long as it included your byline.   In this particular case, I'd be very flattered.  Congratulations are in order.

4. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have given permission to use my poetry in poetry readings before so I can't see the harm in it. All you need to do is emphasize that they cannot publish it whether in print or online.

Thanks Cardisa.  I still seem to be somewhat skeptical smile

5. brakel2 profile image72
      brakel2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is very flattering to you, Audrey. I would only do it for a friend. I am very skeptical, since I have been on HubPages. She has given very little information and might use the permission to copy it elsewhere.

My thoughts exactly. However, if her intent is to copy my hub elsewhere, why would she ask my permission?  Just say'in. smile

6. awordlover profile image88
      awordloverposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I received one of these messages in my regular email, not on Hubpages.

Hello Rachael
      I am writing to ask permission to share your story, Baby Danger: Is Swaddling Safe?  I am a pastor's wife and we have an outreach center for unwed mothers. I was searching for a story to share with them on the importance of how to properly swaddle a baby when I came across your story. I will only be sharing it with our small group and I promise I will not publish it on any website. What a powerful story you wrote about swaddling. Thank you for sharing your story on hub pages and please let me know if I have your permission to share the story.

Thank you and God bless,
      Cheryl

After I received it in my own email,  awordlover's husband called me to ask if I would take care of an email matter for him and it was the similar email on awordlover's email account.

Hello awordlover
      I am writing to ask permission to share your story, Crohn's Disease - My Story.  I am a pastor's wife and will be sharing a devotion on persevering with a serious illness. I was searching for a story to drive the point home when I came across your story. I would only be reading it as part of a devotion to share with our ladies. What a powerful story. Thank you for sharing and please respond with your permission so I can share your story.   

Thank you and God bless,
      Gloria

This is spam and a scam.

I reported the emails to my hotmail email provider. Since receiving them, I have spoken to several friends at work, and I am hearing about more people getting similar emails.  All say she is a pastor's wife and all say she will only be sharing it with her "ladies." All are signed with different names,  mostly the names Cheryl, Sandra, Gloria, Anna, and Rhonda - so far.  But the body of the email is very similar if not verbatim when I compare with my friends at work.

I clicked to respond and the email bounced back to me as undeliverable. More proof it was a scam, a silly one, but still a scam.

7. Hyphenbird profile image81
      Hyphenbirdposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have allowed people to use my work in newsletters, etc. I think it would be wonderful to know your work is being used to bless ladies through a devotional. I see no reason to say forbid it and many  reasons to say yes..

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 10 years ago

I don't see any reason to say no.  I would simply emphasise that she has permission to read it out, but not to print it or publish it anywhere.

1. barryrutherford profile image75
      barryrutherfordposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Agree!

3. Author Cheryl profile image81
    Author Cherylposted 10 years ago

My thoughts are you can't really say why she wants it.  People plagiarize all the time.  I suppose if she wanted to copy your work she wouldn't ask.  I don't know I am just skeptical about people these days.

1. Twilight Lawns profile image72
      Twilight Lawnsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you Author Cheryl.  I would be careful; very careful.  The "background" of this person seems to be so very "nice", but why no real details?

Exactly why I posted this question smile Thanks.

4. TheDragonBringer profile image92
    TheDragonBringerposted 10 years ago

Would that person publishing it online cause a plagiarism issue here on Hubpages? That issue is still cloudy to me. Thanks!

1. Christy Kirwan profile image89
      Christy Kirwanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi DragonBringer,

We do not allow Hubs to be published elsewhere online. They must be unique to HubPages.

1. barryrutherford profile image75
        barryrutherfordposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Someone linking your hub with a topic of the same genre on another internet site can really increase the Hubs traffic...

They won't be publishing my hub on line (according to the email.)  Only reading it to a church group, it appears.

3. vocalcoach profile image94

This person claims that they only want to read the hub to a group.

5. DonnaCSmith profile image84
    DonnaCSmithposted 10 years ago

tell him he can publish the link to your Hub and then you'll get more traffic.

Hmmmm - never thought about this.  Not sure there is anything to link to.  Thanks.

6. WillStarr profile image82
    WillStarrposted 10 years ago

"I would only be reading it as part of a devotion I will be sharing with our ladies."

If that's all she will be doing, she really doesn't need your permission, so she's just being polite. I would get all her pertinent info and tell her she can read it but but publish it.

Good advice Bill.  This is exactly what I will do and thanks!

7. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 10 years ago

Audrey, I think it's great that this lady was polite enough to ask your permission. She could have easily downloaded and printed your hub then read it out and you'd have been none the wiser. It obviously made a big impression on her, and I would advise you to allow her to use it as a blessing and inspiration to others, as long as she gives you credit. I would be honored if it was one of my written works.

8. Laceylinks profile image78
    Laceylinksposted 10 years ago

I think it's a real compliment to you. She wants to make a point to a group of people, and it sounds to me as if she would credit you as the writer, not take credit for your story. If it were me I would accept, although it appears you already agree!

9. vocalcoach profile image94
    vocalcoachposted 10 years ago

The email you received is almost verbatim word for word on the email I received.  So glad you have shared this with me as well as other hubbers here in the forum.  It's a scam for sure.  Is it best to just delete my email as spam?
    Thanks so very much!

1. awordlover profile image88

You can report it to your email provider, but I never heard any feedback.  If I were you, I would just mark it as spam. That way if you get any more, they won't go to your inbox.  If you want to see if you get more of them, then of course, just delete and don't mark it as spam.

It's interesting that these emails are so pointless. Or maybe they are a heads up that the hubs are about to be stolen. Who knows? I'm in another forum right now typing up a website that stole over 100 hubs from hubbers. It's sickening. It's almost 1:30AM and I'm ready for bed. lol  I'll finish up what I can and see if anyone responds tomorrow.

I'm glad you are at ease now that you can see these emails are not genuine.

10. shanice whitter profile image70
    shanice whitterposted 10 years ago

Well, thats something interesting.Pride your work.Consider your craft as a gem or a box of diamonds.Keep your stuff private and untouched by others.

11. profile image0
    cjnileskiposted 10 years ago

I agree, get a little more information on this person first.

If all is well, let them use the post.  If your post can help others in this crazy world we live in today, I think that's great!!

Go for it!!

1. awordlover profile image88

they are scams. see previous replies

12. grand old lady profile image84
    grand old ladyposted 10 years ago

The writer sounds very nice, but if there are so many others getting similar letters with different names, it's definitely a scam. I just wonder what's in it for the scammer?

13. brakel2 profile image72
    brakel2posted 10 years ago

I wonder if people are trying to verify email addresses and then try to send email with places to click. How would they get Hubbers email address, if they are so hard to find at first?   This is a real mystery.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)