RESOLVED: Not able to edit my Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (40 posts)
  1. Shinkicker profile image53
    Shinkickerposted 9 years ago

Has anyone else had this problem.

I can open a Hub with Edit button with no problems but then I can't edit the capsules, when I click on the button nothing happens.

The when I click the 'done editing' button , also nothing happens and I need to close the page.

Any advice?

1. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have been editing since 2AM this morning (now 5:33AM). Not a hitch in any giddy-up of stuff. I use to run into problems with loading a ways back when my hubs were short ebook size - @3,500 words in length.

I ran into problems with pop-up blocker settings too when I began using a new PC. I did not have those setting correct. If I remember correctly it was conflicts between multiple pop-up blockers causing the problem competing with each other. The only other times I have long loading queues is when I think my server provider or a server is doing maintenance or my PC is with downloads of updates hidden from view. Like Microsoft updates and especially lengthy updates. I tend to glance at the upload queue when I have loading problems here at HP and even with updating a word document taking extra time with the saving process.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

@Shinkicker Sorry to hear you are having problems editing your Hubs.

We are currently unaware of any issues that would affect authors' ability to edit a Hub.

As a few users have mentioned, the issue could be a result of a browser or other issue with your computer.

It looks like you are using an older version of Chrome, 31.0.1650.63
      The current and stable version is 34.0.1847.116 m.

I would suggest trying the following.

1. Clear your browser cache.
      2. Upgrade Chrome to the latest stable version.
      3. Restart your computer.

If the problem persists, here are some other tips to try including using a different browser like Firefox.
      http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Diag … r-problems

3. The Examiner-1 profile image59
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Try moving the arrow higher or lower (or a different position) in the edit box before you click it. Do this more than once to find the spot which works.

4. literal profile image71
      literalposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've had a similar experience, but jumped onto another PC and it worked

5. Shelly Nun-Chucks profile image66
      Shelly Nun-Chucksposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi I am not sure where to write this, it is a totally different subject, but there's no number call to ask.  I know you can't give tax advice, but could someone tell me what is the correct I would have to use, since I know I can now earn money with my hubs, I am not sure which one I ask for when I go to the I.R.S. site, cause I want to make sure I'm doing every thing right, thank you and once again, I am sorry I am posting off topic, I wasn't too sure where to post.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71

@Shelly
        If you have a technical problem, then you can post a new forum thread here.
        http://hubpages.com/topics/hubpages-tut … pages/3001
        The other official forums are available here.
        http://hubpages.com/forum/hubpages

For account specific questions or concerns the best option is to contact us via this page and we respond to each message we receive.
        http://hubpages.com/help-wizard/

2. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years ago

That is strange. Have you tried a different web browser?

In order to have the tech support help you, you need to provide information, like what operating system you are using and what web browser you are using.

3. cashmere profile image78
    cashmereposted 9 years ago

Mine seem to be working fine. It could be a browser problem like Millionaire tips says, or even slow internet connectivity.

4. crazybeanrider profile image85
    crazybeanriderposted 9 years ago

I have had this problem for a few months. No matter what computer or browser I use I am not able to edit the photo capsules at all. Cannot seem to resolve it. As far as today goes, it seems to be a site problem, when I click done editing it just says loading and wont update.

5. Shelly Nun-Chucks profile image66
    Shelly Nun-Chucksposted 9 years ago

I am also having a problem, when I click edit, it won't let me edit my hub.

Also I thought maybe I can delete and rewrite it, but I can't even delete it either.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble editing your Hubs.
      What was the result of trying the troubleshooting steps listed above?
      http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2577239

1. crazybeanrider profile image85
        crazybeanriderposted 9 years agoin reply to this

For me it sometimes works, and other times not so much. Which is odd. I dumped my cookies before I started to edit. And on a few occasions that worked. Also tried what The Examiner-1 did with moving the cursor around. Not really a fix, just kind of hit or miss it seems.

It sounds as if you may have system resource (RAM, CPU, network) or other issues with your computer as there are currently no known issues with the site.
          I would suggest using Firefox, especially considering the recent major issue affecting all version of Internet Explorer.
          http://money.cnn.com/2014/04/28/technol … lorer-bug/

2. The Examiner-1 profile image59

Exactly crazybeanrider. You just have to remember mentally, or instinctively, where it is on your edit capsule (it is usually the same on all). Plus get used to the feel of your computer keyboard.

3. The Examiner-1 profile image59

How used is your mouse? Is it connected correctly? Have you tried unplugging and re-plugging it? Have you cleaned it recently?

6. faith-hope-love profile image70
    faith-hope-loveposted 9 years ago

I have had this problem since I joined. I have not had any success and have tried the fixes as suggested.  No success.

It appears you are using Chrome 32.0.1700.76 and the current stable version is 34.0.1847.131 m

I would suggest trying the steps outlined in the trouble shooting guide link that follows, which includes a suggestion to upgrade your browser to the latest stable version.  You might also consider using a different browser like Firefox.

7. crazybeanrider profile image85
    crazybeanriderposted 9 years ago

I use different computers, and have tried on a computer elsewhere, so it isn't the computers. I would imagine it is the browser, I use IE and have no other browser I want to use, so I just go with it, and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It's random, so dealing with it for the time being. Thanks Matthew for checking into it.

8. Shelly Nun-Chucks profile image66
    Shelly Nun-Chucksposted 9 years ago

hello, by the way, I got in touch with someone on facebook, so even though I had google chrome, it didnt work, so what I did, was uninstall, and yes it took a couple of times, but the last time I installed goggle chrome, I was able to just re-edit an article, and resubmit it, so that worked for me...hope if anyone else is having a problem, that helps other people

9. TDowling profile image62
    TDowlingposted 9 years ago

SAME PROBLEM USING CHROME: I can't edit the capsules. Whenever I press the "Edit" button the only thing that happens is it jumps to the top of the page. (I have the most current version of Chrome.)

Editing works fine using Firefox. My primary browser is Firefox, except when I'm creating Hubs- then I switch to Chrome. That's what I've been doing for several months, after I was unable to upload pictures in Firefox using the Hub photo capsule. I posted my dilemma on Hub's community boards and I was told that Chrome works better.

MATTHEW: What gives? Should I use Firefox for one thing and Chrome for another? That really makes things difficult.

Sorry you are having problems with Chrome.
      I just tested using Chrome 34.0.1847.131 m in Windows 7 and was able to edit and save a text capsule without any issues.

Are you using a touchscreen device?

Did clearing the cache, rebooting your computer, and disabling all browser extensions and plugins have any effect on Chrome?

The next thing I would try is to to uninstall Chrome, reboot your computer, reinstall it and reboot again. Sometimes the application files can be corrupted.

10. The Examiner-1 profile image59
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

If everybody having the same problem is using Chrome I have a much earlier version than 34.xxxx and I do not have this problem.
    Also, what version of Windows is being used? I have Windows 7 Ultimate.

11. profile image58
    SamanthaSposted 9 years ago

Has anyone found a proper fix for this problem?

A new Hub I started a week ago got the problem described, I am using Firefox. I could not edit the Hubpage in Chrome either and also cleared the cache etc.

So I started again.

Now tonight it's happened again and feels like a big waste of time.

Anyone found a fix?

1. The Examiner-1 profile image59

We will take this a step at a time Samantha.
      What version of: Chrome and Windows are you using?
      Do you have an antivirus (what type?) plus a firewall?

2. Matthew Meyer profile image71

I just tested in Chrome 34.0.1847.131 m and Firefox 29.0 in both Windows 7 and 8.1 on multiple computers and did not have any problems editing Hubs.

@SamanthaS Are you still having problems?
      If so, let is start over as it may not be related to the original issue posted to this thread.

Are there specific Hubs with which you are having problems or it is affecting all Hubs? 
      Is this new Hubs or existing ones? 

Please provide as much specific detail as you can including what sort of problems you are experiencing and we will see if we can assist you.

12. profile image58

Hi,

Chrome Version 34.0.1847.131 m
    It states G Chrome is up to date

Windows 7 version 6.1

AVG for antivirus and firewall

Sam

Samantha,
      I have the same Chrome version. I have Windows SP1 but it may be another name for version 6.1.
      About  your antivirus/firewall, try turning off the firewall temporarily just to see if that helps. If you need help, click your Start button and open the Control Panel. Scan to the bottom and you will see 'Windows Firewall', of course you click on that. Now on the left side, it should be about the second down, you will see 'Turn Firewall On or Off'. Click that and then click yes.
      Leave the panel open so that you can come back to re-open the firewall if this does not help but sometimes antiviruses cross with firewalls.

13. profile image58

Hi, it seems to be affecting new hubs only.

The style tips, goals and content capsules have defaulted to the bottom of the screen instead of the right hand side.

This happens in both Chrome and Firefox.

I don't want to turn off the Firewall as the Examiner suggested but not sure how to fix this.

Any ideas?

Can you explain which of the steps outlined above you tried?
      Please provide a screen shot of the issue you are seeing as well.

Here are the general steps again.
      1. Clear your browser cache and cookies.
      2. Reboot your computer.
      3. See if there are upgrades avaialable for Chrome and Firefox.
      4. If there are install them and then reboot again.

5. If that still doesn't fix it, uninstall the problematic browser or browsers, reboot your computer and then instal them again.

6. If that doesn't fix it, does the issue persist in another browser like Opera or Internet Explorer?

7. If all these browser trouble shooting steps are not fruitful then it could be related to a network connectivity issues as well, so in addition to restarting your computer, restart any network hardware including routers, modems, wifi access points, switches, network hubs, etc.

There could also be system resource issues on your computer as well (RAM, CPU, etc.)

Here are further tips.

You do not have to fear turning off the firewall, you have the antivirus. If there is no difference when you do so, then you can turn it immediately back on with ease.

Another possibility is whether you use a normal desktop/laptop, or something else like a phone.

If you want, you can also leave a link to one of the problem Hubs.

14. profile image58

So far I've updated Firefox and tried editing the page with the Firewall off, both made no difference.

I also tried accessing from my tablet and got the same result.

I am using a laptop but I also tried accessing from my work desktop and also received the same 'error'.

Sam

I tested using the exact same browser, browser version, and operating system, so the issue is not related to the browser or OS.

Can you explain what specific error, errors, or problems you are experiencing?
      A screen shot it a great way to make sure we are referring to the same thing.

Does this affect only some Hubs, only new Hubs, or some other subset of Hubs?
      If so, please include the URL for each problematic Hub.

If you can explain the exact process you are trying and the issue you are experiencing, then I can test this further.

Hmm. I just tried a new Hub which I am starting and was able to edit it. The only way to check yours is to follow your URL to your actual Hub and see if it works from another side.

15. profile image58

Just logged in and nothing has changed so I am still able to edit published hubs but not this specific unpublished hubs. (I don't have any other unpublished hubs)

On the unpublished hub the goals, content capsules, display options etc are all at the bottom of the page. Usually I see them to the right of my content.

Whenever I try to add a new capsule or edit one that is already there my screen jumps to the top of the page and nothing happens i.e. no new capsule or nothing to edit.

I have just noticed that a couple of capsules I added before last saving my progress are no longer there, these were an Amazon and Table capsule plus a text capsule.

I'm now wondering if either the table or Amazon capsule are somehow interfering in this specific issue and may start a few test hubs to find out.

My process I was following was merely adding capsules and content plus saving my progress by clicking 'Done Editing' which I followed for 4-5 days until it 'froze'.

A screen shot won't particularly help as it looks like a normal hub albeit unpublished and with the goals etc at the bottom of the page.

I will start a few test hubs but if anyone has any suggestions please post them.

Try opening one of the Hubs which 'froze' and pressing the 'Refresh' button in the upper left.

If that does not work, copy your words from one of the capsules which is 'stuck'. Then open a second text capsule (above or below) and paste, see if the edit works there. If so, 'x' out the other capsule.

16. profile image58

Yes I can start a new hub but the previous 2 I have been working on have both 'frozen' before publishing them.

Anyway just thought I would also add that the Preview, Publish Now & Done Editing buttons do not result in any action when clicked.

Please provide the exact URL for each problematic Hub.
      So it sounds like you have existing Hubs that you are unable to edit the capsules for. Is this what you mean by
      "frozen"?

What process are you using to edit the Hubs and at what point  are you getting an error?

What buttons or capsules are you clicking and from what starting page?

Are there only specific types of capsules that are affected or are all capsule types affected in these Hubs?

17. profile image58

Matthew,

A new hubpage that I recently started has completely frozen.

I cannot add any new capsules or edit any existing ones, when I try to add a new capsule my screen scrolls to the top of the page, that's it, nothing else.

When I try to edit an existing hub nothing else happens. I can see the 'edit' button being depressed but it does not open the edit screen, nothing.

As I said, also when clicking the Preview, Publish Now or Done Editing buttons nothing happens.

To edit the hubs I have gone to the summary page and selected the hub.

Please provide the title and/or URL for the specific Hubs to which you are referring.
      If you can provide this information then I can do additional testing.
      Without these details there is little that I can do at this point.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)