What other sites do you write for?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (20 posts)
  1. janesix profile image59
    janesixposted 9 years ago

Do they make you as much money as HupPages?

1. myefforts profile image52
      myeffortsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I tried to explore other options but couldn't find anything better than HubPages.

2. kenneth avery profile image78
    kenneth averyposted 9 years ago

I only write for HubPages. It's easier to navigate, create, and I think there is more freedom to expand our horizons on HP than on other sites.
    Kenneth Avery

janesixposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I like HubPages too. Much better than a lot of other sites.

1. kenneth avery profile image78
        kenneth averyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What other sites do you write for janesix?

Bubblews, Yahoo Voices, InfoBarell. A couple of new ones that don't seem worthwhile yet.

1. kenneth avery profile image78
            kenneth averyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I tried to write for The Examiner a long time ago and they were so demanding, it's a wonder anyone can write for them.

3. Sherry Hewins profile image93
    Sherry Hewinsposted 9 years ago

I tried Squidoo, after two years I've made abut $35 there.

I write at Bubblews, I'm not pushing it real hard there like some do, it takes me about three weeks to hit the $50 payout.

I make payout most months on HP lately.

I've never made a penny off Squidoo.

4. WiccanSage profile image91
    WiccanSageposted 9 years ago

I just do Hubs for fun. I tend to avoid rev share because I'm not big on marketing.

I don't like to work for royalties, I like to get paid up front; I determine the price by the length of the piece and the amount of research it takes. I have an hourly average I shoot for.

Mostly I have private clients I ghost write for, many of whom I got through Elance, Odesk, various job search ads (everything from Monster.com to Craigslist) and word of mouth. I've managed to get enough regulars with weekly/monthly needs to have a steady income for that and then I take some 1-shot projects occasionally.

I've also sold some stuff on Constant Content, though I really don't seem to have a niche in the more popular topics there so I haven't really kept up with it.

I've been approved to for Demand Media Studios since before they were Demand Studios. Back when they were "Write 4 Cash." They pay a flat rate for articles, currently about $35 on average for a 400-500 word article. if you're good with rev. share & marketing you can make more in the long run with Google Adsense on your own website; but they're good to write for when you have a sudden need for cash, or go through a 'dry spell' with other clients (like around the holidays when a lot of my clients get behind and wind down a little, it's nice to know I can spend a weekend on DMS and make up for it).

1. Venkatachari M profile image82
      Venkatachari Mposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wow! It's great to have $35 for 500 words. Most of us writers get only 3, 4 dollars for it on Instamedia and other sites.

1. WiccanSage profile image91
        WiccanSageposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The explosion of content mills really brought about a crash in writer rates. With content mills, a lot of people who would never otherwise have bothered to be writers began offering work for a couple of bucks. Some of them are desperate for quick cash, others just want to see their name in print. A lot of clients just looking for cheap content to fill pages decided they don't want to pay more than that. A lot of ads are full of "I need 20 articles, I won't pay more than $5." kind of jobs. It's sad that people have started undervaluing the skills of a qualified writer, but there it is.

Mind you, I'm not talking about revenue share like HP, which is a long-term investment and you keep copyrights; I'm talking about working for a flat fee here, selling rights.

There are still clients out there who want to deal with professionals. They realize you get what you pay for, and frankly if you're going to sell for work it's better to just hone your skills and hold out for real, professional jobs. DMS pay is decent (they pay more for people who write in specialized fields, but you have to have some serious credentials like advanced degrees or 10 years of experience in an industry). They have stringent requirements and demanding standards for what they want, though, and they are very critical and let writers go who can't produce work that lives up to their formula, so they get a lot of hate. There are a lot of disgruntled writers who have dedicated entire websites to hating DMS because they got rejections or were let go, lol.

1. Venkatachari M profile image82
          Venkatachari Mposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your concern. But I am not at all worried as I do not look for income. I hope many other writers like me are there, who like and love writing something only as a hobby and for spreading their views among readers.

1. WiccanSage profile image91
            WiccanSageposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No concern; there's definitely plenty of places on the internet for people who love writing as a hobby, and I think that's great. I enjoy reading a lot of people's creative writing and blogs who do so for a hobby.

I myself always dreamed of making Writing a profession; I started subscribing to Writer's Digest and Publisher's Weekly at age 16. I wanted to do my greatest passion for a living, and I spent a number of years getting an education and working hard to build a writing career.

This information was not so much for hobbyists, but others looking to earn a living doing what they love full time, since people here were looking for places to make money writing. A lot of people will look at those $2 and $3 jobs and ad rev income and get discouraged, I just want people to know there are real writing jobs out there for those wanting to write as a career, or part-time job, and not a hobby.

2. ChristinS profile image40
      ChristinSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like you and I have a very similar writing career.  I also mostly write for other clients.  Word of mouth advertising once you're established is pretty sweet too.  I may check out Demand Studios.  I have an account on Constant-Content also, but I've been kept busy enough with clients this year so far that I haven't published anything there in ages.  I'm currently working a huge product description gig which I hope I never have to do again, it's very tedious.  After this ends, I'm going to be looking to expand my horizons some more again - or maybe I'll take some time to update my own websites that have been sorely neglected the past couple of years. sigh.

5. Venkatachari M profile image82
    Venkatachari Mposted 9 years ago

I write as a hobby and for my own satisfaction on my blog vnktchari.blogspot.in and my hub page and on wordpress.com with no income at all. I comment at many sites on news and articles which can be visite at mvchari.in and disqus.com I also write for remuneration to some clients which amounts to only $10 per month at present. I love writing with no time bars and at my own mood.

6. ologsinquito profile image84
    ologsinquitoposted 9 years ago

Wizzley, Infobarrel and Writedge at the moment. I'm cautiously testing the waters of Squidoo again. I"m also trying to devote time to my own blogs.

7. aingham86 profile image72
    aingham86posted 9 years ago

I write at Wizzley, Writedge, Daily Two Cents and Bubblews. I'm not sure how long Bubblews will last though, and I'm only staying as long as they pay me. I've not had a problem yet, but I don't trust them all that well.

Writedge and DTC are still new and I've not reached the payout levels yet. But I'm a believer in giving things time and don't mind writing for residual income.

Wizzley and HubPages are about on par for income for me, so I split my time evenly between them.

8. Thelma Alberts profile image89
    Thelma Albertsposted 9 years ago

I write for Bubblews too but I donĀ“t push myself into writing there and here. Writing is still my hobby  at Hubpages and at Bubblews.

9. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 9 years ago

Squidoo's my main earner besides Hubpages, particularly as Squidoo seems to drive sales well, and my Amazon Associates links do well there.

Without Amazon Associates factored in, my average Squidoo earns about two-thirds per page of my average hub. (Until 2013, my Squidoo earnings used to be up to ten times higher). With Amazon sales factored in, the average-earnings-per-lens is almost as much as average-earnings-per-hub. Next month, thanks to a niche picking up, my Squidoo lenses should again be on top.

I've also got Zujava and Wizzley pages which earn negligible (Zujava) or no (Wizzley) income, and Google Adsense pays me 2-3 times a year for my blogs and YouTube videos.

In 2011-2012, I worked very hard to get my monthly online income up to $1200/month, which would pay for all my ordinary expenses. In 2013, Squidoo went splat and dropped my earnings to 25% of what they had been. I struggled with that for a long time, then realized: why am I driving myself to distraction, when I was only doing this as a point of pride (I like the idea of supporting myself with my online writing) as opposed to necessity?

Since then, I've been devoting myself to hobby blogs and my own websites which earn little or nothing, and I've retired somewhat from the online rat race. I still keep my hand in, and I'm still mindful about what types of content are successful on what sites, so (for example) if I get the yen to publish something informational or writing-heavy, it'll go on Hubpages, whereas if I get the yen to write about something with lots of reader interaction and/or potential for Amazon sales, it goes on Squidoo.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)