How do I keep a hub about quotes from being marked duplicate?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (28 posts)
  1. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 9 years ago

I am doing a 20 "such and such" quotes about "such and such" hub. I even went back in after they marked it duplicate and made sure 400 of the words are my words, even though I know people googling it aren't going to want to read my words and are instead just going to be coming to it to find these quotes. This is an atheist related hub and I swear I have seen hubs on here that have quoted large amounts of the bible and yet they are still published. I can't figure out if they just want me to fill this article with things that aren't needed or what? All the quotes came from different locations. I did not just find a page and copy the whole thing. I selectively looked for quotes that meant something to me. Help.

1. bravewarrior profile image87
      bravewarriorposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you are quoting people, you need to cite the originator. Put the quotation in quote marks and attribute the verbiage to the original owner. If you don't do that, you are plagiarizing.

peeplesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I did. Quotations used, and each owner's name was with it.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Although we do not specifically forbid quote, lyric, or scripture content, such Hubs need to be predominantly original material.

Quotes can be more problematic for Hubs that are not very long as they can end up being a large portion of the content.

If you revise your Hub and add a larger portion of original commentary or editorial content, then you should be able to reduce the level of duplication.

You may also want to consider using quotes as a lower percentage of the total Hub content.

For more information on what is considered duplicate content please visit our Learning Center:

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Mode … te-Content

I started with 20 quotes. The point of the hub is to bring in people who are looking for quotes, especially now that they are so popular for facebook. My total words was at 1700 and out of that 400 was my writing vs. quotes. I have now reduced this to 10 quotes with 1144 words and almost equal amounts of mine vs quotes. I mean no disrespect when I say this but it seems sad to ruin good information that is often searched, by adding fluff. I went from 20 quotes to 10 and lost a lot of good quotes. I'm hoping after this last resubmit it will be approved. I just really think it ruined what could have been a traffic producer in these days of constant quotes on FB.

Peeples, try putting the quotes in a side bar and having the main article be your own words.

2. Health Reports profile image83
          Health Reportsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Instead of "Fluff" maybe you could tell a little about the author of the quote and the circumstances that made that quote come to his mind or the circumstances it relates too.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years ago

It has to do with the percentage quoted and from what source.  If you found most of the quotes from the same place, you will likely get a duplicate warning, but if you get the quotes from different place, there is less chance of the warning.

Also, you want to make sure you include enough information with your own words on it so it isn't simply a list.  I know you tried to do that, but again it has to do with percentage. (I don't know what the percentage is.)  You should have more of your words as compared to how much you have quoted.

I know you have tried to do both of these things, but just do a little bit more to see if that takes you over that magic line.

What happened to the "like" buttons here? I wanted to "like" your comment, Millionaire. For the record, I "like" your response.

3. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

On the quotation hub I did, I used several quotes, and with each one put a section on what it meant to me, why it spoke to me etc.  I think with enough personal content these types of hubs do fine without tripping the duplicate content thing. 

Mine was probably 2/3 original and some of the quotes I did custom graphics for the quote instead of placing the qoute in the text itself.  That helped too probably.

"Hiding" it in the photo probably would have been a good idea. I know when I am looking for information, if it is drowned out by the authors writing I sometimes just move on. I'd rather give people what they are looking for and not just my opinions on what they are looking for, if that makes sense. Now it is 1/2 and 1/2 quotes and my content. If that isn't enough to make it through I will just delete it and move on. Frustrating.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

At 50-50 it should pass the bar set by HP.  Good luck with it.

I think they became annoyed with my constant resubmit, because now it's been sitting almost 24 hours since last resubmit and they haven't messed with even though I can see they viewed it 6 times. It no longer says duplicate, but it also isn't published.

Yeah, it showed up in today's notifications but is marked "no longer published". I wasn't able to open it.

Yeah, not exactly sure what is going on with it, but I'm about to say oh well and just delete it!

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
                paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you give up, can I have it? big_smile

2. peeples profile image94

It was considered a duplicate after doing 50/50. My delete button is gone and is replaced with a submit for publication button. So I erased everything in the hub and changed the name to "please give me my delete button back so I can delete."

Peeples, that won't change the original URL. I've changed my titles after first starting and the original sticks. There's no way to start over unless you delete the entire hub. Of course, that may have changed. We're experiencing a lot of changes that we learn about the hard way, rather than through forewarning. :-(

Yeah, I really just changed it to get their attention because I can't delete it right now. No delete button. Just wasted too much time. Thanks for everyone's help!!

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71
                    Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Here is an FAQ entry that explains how to delete a Hub
                    http://hubpages.com/faq/#deletehub

4. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

Just a side note.

I did a hub a long time back that was filled with quotes. Google hated it.

Since then, I've read elsewhere of others having similar results when doing the quotes thing.

I don't know if such results are universal when it comes to quotes. But just thought you might want to know.

Good to know. I know the numbers made sense when I did the keyword search which was why I ended up doing it. I don't know if atheist quotes are any different, but I would have at least liked to let it fail on it's own and been able to delete it myself.

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
        paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree that you should have been allowed to try. My infamous armadillo hub that HP so graciously declined awhile back is still my #1 post at a certain other website. $6.31 it's earned so far. And the pennies keep rolling in daily. big_smile

big_smile

5. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 9 years ago

Take a screen shot of the quotes and put in your hub as a picture - no problems with duplicate content!!

Just put on screen in word, press print screen, post into paint, crop to size and save as a jpeg for your hub....

1. lobobrandon profile image89
      lobobrandonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yup this works best, but if you want to be found for those quotes this isn't gonna help. It's not original content and you shouldn't aim to be found for it anyway.

PS: Don't forget to source the image to the actual quotes site and make sure that the quotes are public domain.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It works - if you are happy to do an end run around the rules and ignore the intent, meaning and reason for those rules in the first place.

6. Jayne Lancer profile image92
    Jayne Lancerposted 9 years ago

I think I'd experiment by displaying the quotes as images.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)