eBay

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (27 posts)
  1. mary615 profile image83
    mary615posted 9 years ago

I read a comment somewhere today on a Hub and just want to clarify:   The commenter said don't bother including any eBay products anymore; only use Amazon.

This is the first time I've heard of this.  If it were true, I would think HP would block us from using an eBay capsule.

Does anyone know about this?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes.    eBay changed its rules, and those changes make it more difficult to earn money.   Like Relache, I still earn money from my eBay ads on other sites because I've adapted to suit the new rules, but HubPages doesn't allow me to do that. 

Basically, the way it works is this:

You will earn money from an eBay capsule ONLY if someone buys the item within 24 hours, or if they bid on the item within 24 hours and then win the auction.   If they simply "watch" the item and go back and buy/win it later, you get nothing. 

Whereas with Amazon, you will earn money if someone puts an item in their Cart and then buys it within 90 days.

So you can see, eBay is a sort of "sudden death" system, which means you are less likely to get commission on sales than with Amazon.

1. weezyschannel profile image86
        weezyschannelposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for clarifying the eBay part. I have never understand my earnings either. It's just easier if I do not even mess with eBay. Also, if I don't go in and check what items are actually being posted then sometimes they are so irrelevant that no one would he be interested in bidding on them anyway

2. Faith Reaper profile image83
        Faith Reaperposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Marisa, thank you for clarifying all of that, as I have never understood exactly what the changes meant.  I always include an Amazon and eBay item, but have never made any money from eBay.

1. weezyschannel profile image86
          weezyschannelposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm top of that if you do have any earnings from eBay good luck trying to figure out what they are. I have never seen such a confusing earnings statement in my life

2. Brie Hoffman profile image59
      Brie Hoffmanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I believe it was my comment.  I took all my ebay ads off because they are not earning money and why should I give them free advertising on my hubs.  So far it has paid off because my amazon and hubpages earnings are up.  I don't know if that is why but that is what happened.

I'm sure it's related.  The thing is, your reader has to leave your Hub somehow. If they leave via an eBay capsule, they didn't click on your Amazon capsule or your Adsense ad.    So, removing your eBay capsules removed a possible exit for your readers and made it more likely that they'd click on your Amazon ads, or visit one of your other Hubs.

1. DrMark1961 profile image95
          DrMark1961posted 9 years agoin reply to this

That sounds like the best reason yet to delete all of the Ebay ads from my hubs!
          I doubt there is anyone out there who is making enough money off of the occassional Ebay sale to justify reduced page views to another of their hubs.

My rule is, use an eBay (or preferably, Amazon) capsule when either:

(a) the product answers the search query which brought the reader to the Hub (e.g. a book with even more information) OR
            (b) the product is needed as part of the process being described in the Hub (e.g. ingredients for a recipe, equipment for a project OR
            (c) the product is the subject of the Hub (e.g. ballroom shoes if the Hub is about choosing ballroom shoes).

Otherwise, don't.  A product which is vaguely connected to the Hub's subject will not sell, so the capsule becomes just a distraction, which you're better off without.

1. DrMark1961 profile image95
              DrMark1961posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Since the vast majority of my hubs are informational, I do not normally have an (a) or a  (b). I have a few hubs that have a (c), like dog name tags for dog name hubs, but have never made any Amazon sales on those hubs, despite their having good traffic.
              I think you are correct, and I am better off without. Thanks.

The reason I went to look at your Hubs was to look at opportunities for Amazon/ebay, and I must say I came to the same conclusion.

2. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 9 years ago

Where is the comment?

mary615posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I cannot remember now on what Hub I saw that comment.  I will try to remember; sorry....

1. bravewarrior profile image86
        bravewarriorposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Mary, it was on one of billybuc's hubs. I saw that comment, too.

bravewarrior, hi.    I'm glad you remembered where I saw that comment.  It was driving me crazy trying to remember.  It was probably on one of his latest Hubs.

I do include an ad for eBay  for a related item.   Funny, sometimes I get a sale on a totally different item, but it's still a sale.!

Is there a reason you use eBay rather than Amazon?   As I explained, there is now a much higher likelihood of making a sale with an Amazon capsule than an eBay capsule.

I usually include an Amazon AND an eBay item.

2. Barbara Kay profile image73
              Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I earn equally from eBay and Amazon. The problem is that neither are big earners for me.

3. vocalcoach profile image93
    vocalcoachposted 9 years ago

This is news to me.  Haven't heard a word about not including Ebay capsules.

4. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 9 years ago

After eBay's change in how they paid, my sales there went to zero.  I think I've made one sale in the past 3 months.

So the eBay ads are gone; I found no reason to irritate Google with ads when they never earned me anything.

Others have different results, though, and still earn from eBay ads.

5. Rochelle Frank profile image92
    Rochelle Frankposted 9 years ago

I don't think I have ever earned from eBay-- but then I rarely use the capsule.
    On the other hand, lately have earned half or more of my income from Amazon-- this week , more like 2/3.

6. weezyschannel profile image86
    weezyschannelposted 9 years ago

I was ecstatic the other day when I made five dollars from Amazon. That was the most I've ever made. Is there a trick to placement ads and how many?

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

weezy channel:

The trick is to write a searchable article that lends itself to selling related products, and then placing the ads beside the capsules that discuss that item.

It also helps to use wordage with the capsule that points the reader towards the item you want to sell.

7. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 9 years ago

I have eBay activity, but the reporting here doesn't give me the info I'm after to drive sales (based on past jobs where I did just that.)

8. ChristinS profile image40
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

I know once the eBay program changed my earnings there dropped into the basement instantly.  Fortunately, a court ruling opened up the great state of Illinois to being able to use Amazon's program.  I make a lot more with Amazon than I do with eBay.  The only hubs that I have kept eBay on are the ones where I feature a specific item from a seller I like - or the few I haven't gotten around to updating yet.

9. Monis Mas profile image72
    Monis Masposted 9 years ago

I have been using Amazon only for a while. I noticed that I didn't make anythng through Ebay.

10. old albion profile image61
    old albionposted 9 years ago

Thank you for this information, I was unaware of it. Obviously it will be Amazon only in future.
    Graham.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)