How many Hubs do you have and how do you keep track of them?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Brie Hoffman profile image59
    Brie Hoffmanposted 9 years ago

Recently, I started writing again.  I have over 200 hubs and I am starting to find it difficult to keep track of them.  I'm looking for ideas and I'm thinking..down the road as I keep writing it's just going to get worse.

How do you keep track of all your hubs?

1. Nathan Kiehn profile image90
      Nathan Kiehnposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm fairly new, so hopefully I can help a bit. What I've tried to do (and maybe you've done this) has been finding a fairly broad topic (in my case, English), so I can have lots of ideas. Also, that way, it's easier to keep track. If I focus on one, specific topic per Hub, I can have lots more ideas for later. I tried keeping notes on titles and topics, but I stopped pretty quickly. Maybe that would help? I would just say make Hubs as specific as possible for one idea, that way each Hub isn't too cluttered. That's just me.

2. OldRoses profile image94
      OldRosesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I finally made it past the 50 hub mark!  And now my organizing strategy is paying off for me.  I keep a file on all of my ideas for hubs grouped by topic.  On HP, I have all of my finished hubs grouped by the same topics using Hub Groups so that I can keep track of them to insert links.  I know which hub ideas I have written because in my idea file, I cross out each idea I've written using the strike-through feature in Word.  It sounds complicated but it really isn't.

Brie Hoffmanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hub Groups..I've never used that..I will give it a go.  Thanks for the helpful tip.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

For some time I have kept my posts in groups separate from the website.

I keep one set of the articles themselves by group, and one list of the articles titles per group on a spreadsheet.

So, although I cannot separate the articles individually, I can separate them by subgroups within each group.

The same is true for the titles.

So, for example, I might have a group called "home" and have subgroups called decorating, maintenance and repair.

When I write a post, I place it according to its group on both types of pages, and this makes it very easy to keep track of them.

I also keep a spreadsheet called "cancelled hubs" and group the posts in the same way, just in case I need to recapture and rework an article or use parts of it in a new post.

I also use the cancelled hubs in pieces on Bubblews to earn more money.

4. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think once an account gets up to a few hundred Hubs, it gets hard to manage even with Groups.   You might want to start a new account for one of your subjects?

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

Marissa:

That is why I do my own tracking with spreadsheets. 

My word processing program automatically alphabetizes the articles themselves and because I list them by groups, they are easy to find.

I set up my spreadsheets in the groups and then sort the titles as I add them in, so I can match them with the articles.

So, for example, if I change a title or update a hub, it is very easy for me to find the original article.

Right now I have 131 hubs and have no problems, nor do I foresee any if I write more.

2. Brie Hoffman profile image59

When you start a new account, do your fans come with you or do you have to start all over?

Brie Hoffman:  I believe you start from scratch, just as you did when you started your original account.  All of the articles would be new, unless you try to transfer some of them, but the problem with transferring articles is that you must remove them from HP completely, wait for them to be removed from indexing, hope that in the meantime nobody steals them, and then republish them on the new site.

Personally I feel this would create a ton of problems unless you are willing to start from scratch.

You should remember, also, that you will have to be juggling two accounts instead of one, and the more articles you have, the more difficult this will become.

Ugh..sigh

2. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

When I am writing my hubs I use hub groups.  You can set these up when you go to display options on the edit screen.  This allows you to pull up the hubs within specific groups later on.  It definitely helps with organization.

3. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 9 years ago

I use the hub groups, too.
    I also use the sort functions at the top of the account page to see what hubs are getting good traffic and which are low-- also to see which are getting lots of comment, and which are being ignored, and to see which are scored high and low.

4. Brie Hoffman profile image59

Thanks, all good ideas.

5. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

I'm a tad OCD so I follow and keep up by looking at my stats daily in terms of what each one needs. Specifically, I look at the "Last updated" column and update hubs regularly with minor tweaking and editing every 2 to 3 months. I just look for the oldest dates. I also remember older hubs from newer hubs. But I suppose it gets more difficult the more hubs you have. I only have 72 as of 7/25/14.

Yea, I have over 200 and it's getting very difficult for me.  I've got to do the Hub Groups things..and soon!

1. Millionaire Tips profile image90
        Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

And the bonus is, when you put your hubs into groups, they show up as links on the bottom of your hub for your readers to browse through.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

janshares: 

I, too, check the stats daily, but I look at the 30 day figures to see which hubs are not performing as well as I would like and use that as a standard for tweaking, etc.

If a hubs "ever" column are too low, but the 30 day number is acceptable, that tells me that it is improving, and just the reverse when the 30 day number is low.

I tweak and write almost daily.

1. janshares profile image94
        jansharesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely, TIMETRAVELER2, I do the same with those columns.

1. Faith Reaper profile image83
          Faith Reaperposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh, thanks for that, TIMETRAVELER2!

3. Faith Reaper profile image83
      Faith Reaperposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I usually just look at the statistics pages on the hubs to look for an exclamations for any broken links or other warnings. I have 104 hubs right now, but those who have almost a thousand hubs or more, I cannot imagine how they keep track.  I do use the Hub Groups too, but that is not really how I keep up with them, as I only use the groups so that they will show the next and previous hubs related to that topic below each hubs so that others and see related ones when reading a specific hub. Those hubs that have been published long ago and now have dropped down in score a bit, I try to look at them every now and then to check for spelling and typos and maybe adding something if I did not initially such as a video or poll or such.  Before HP had the Evergreen standards, some hubs may not reach the minimum 700 word count, so I went back and added more.  They are all featured, but it pays to go back from time-to-time to improve when you have time.

6. UnnamedHarald profile image91
    UnnamedHaraldposted 9 years ago

I do my organizing on my computer. Each hub starts out as an OpenOffice document (or an MS Office Word document, if that's your poison) and each hub has its own folder. In that hub folder is the OpenOffice doc file containing the text of the article (including subheadings to help when laying out the hub). I also include all my references in that doc file (urls, books, etc that I used during research). Also in the Hub folder, along with the doc file, I keep any .JPG image files used in my Hub and each image file has a corresponding .TXT file containing the URL source of the image, license information, caption, etc. When I change a hub or have to replace an image with a broken link, I go into my hub folder make the changes and then copy the changes into my hub. Since I have a lot of WW1 and WW2 Hubs, I keep those in their own sub folders. For example:

HubPagesArticles
    +-- AbleSeaCatSimon
    +-- AfghanExit
    +-- Ww1
        +--- Ww1GermanysGiantBomber
             +--- BombDamage191601.jpg
             +--- BombDamage191601_caption.txt
             +--- Gotha01.jpg
             +--- Gotha01_caption.txt
             +--- Ww1GermanysGiantBomber.odt
        +--- Ww1LastMorning
    +-- Ww2
        +--- Ww2FlakTowers
    +-- Zombies

Anyway, that's how I organize my hubs-- everyone has their own system. Good Luck.

Wow, I'm impressed!

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

And I thought I was overdoing it!  WOW!

1. UnnamedHarald profile image91
        UnnamedHaraldposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I had to laugh at your reply! Yes, there are times I feel I'm overdoing it and it does take a little extra time, but it's second nature to me now. But the thing about HubPages I love is that these articles that are earning money are still mine, so I want them local where I can control them. On the other hand, when I look at what I make, the time I spend and the current minimum wage... well, let's call it a labor of love:)

7. Fred Arnold profile image61
    Fred Arnoldposted 9 years ago

You can put your hubs into groups through Hubpages in your profile settings area. When it comes to editing the hubs, I have a master list that I have started. I edit three hubs at a time and have a check off/recycle procedure through excel. You'll figure something out~!

8. Chinaimport profile image78
    Chinaimportposted 9 years ago

Assigning a group to hubs certainly helps.  There is also a feature that allows you to export your hub statistics in excel format, from there on it will be easy to manage them.  Here is how to do it:

1.  Go to my account
    2.  There is a blue button named export.csv.  Click that to download and open in excel or any other compatible program.

You can also copy and paste that list into any spreadsheet you use.

9. Brie Hoffman profile image59

You know, I started putting all my hubs into groups.  But, once they are in the group, you can't click on them to go to them..so what good is it?  You can find the hub but you can't access the hub!

I need a way to find my hub in the stats column quickly..without having to peruse all the hubs..it takes too long.

Brie Hoffman:

You are correct in a way, but not exactly.

Your hubs will appear in your stats pages according to the titles you have given your groups.

For example, if "home" is your group title, every article that you placed in that group will appear there.  That is where you find and manipulate them and also can check their stats.

Oh OK..I'll keep grouping them then and see if that helps.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Brie, once they're in Groups, you'll be able to select the Hubs in a group on your Stats page.

Take a look at the Stats page. See the second dropdown box, it says "select an article group".   Once all your Hubs are in groups, you can select a group there, and you'll see only the Hubs in that group.

Got it,

Thanks

2. DrMark1961 profile image95
      DrMark1961posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I know what you mean. I have over 300 now, and imagine someone like Patty Inglish, with more than 2000!
      The way I find something on that page, and the only thing that helps me look at individual hubs, is to click on that line symbol in the top right corner of Firefox. I then select "Find", type in one of the words from my title, and the program finds it.
      The "groups" does help since it lets users find related hubs, like in health, selection, etc.
      I do not bother with a spreadsheet. I guess I am not OCD enough! I would rather spend my free time writing a new hub (or reading a book).

3. Sue Adams profile image95
      Sue Adamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

To find a hub in the stats column quickly I just type one word of its title in the "find" feature of chrome.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)