Why does my Hubscore drop after editing?

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (89 posts)
  1. profile image0
    swilliamsposted 9 years ago

My Hubscore drops after I edit a Hub. Is anyone else experiencing this situation? There have been times in which the score has gone up to reflect the editing process. I'm not sure if this is normal.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

swilliams,
      Everyone notices that. It has to do with the Hub being published, reviewed, going through the QAP, and checked for any errors and such. When everything is done in several days it will go back up. Be patient. It is nothing new.

1. pateluday profile image51
        pateludayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good answer thanks!

Glad to help.

2. RanaKm profile image44
      RanaKmposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yeah it's weird, it happens to me too sometimes!

3. kenneth avery profile image79
      kenneth averyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

My score drops a few points when I publish a hub. But I am through worrying.

That is the attitude Kenneth. As I told swilliams when I explained it to her, have patience. :-)

1. kenneth avery profile image79

I do have patience, Examiner. A few short months ago, I would have metled-down,but today I consider a point or two drop in my Hub Score a necessary cog in a huge wheel and one day, It will go up again.
          Thanks for the support.

4. kenneth avery profile image79

My dear friend, SWilliams,
      Let's you and I be cool and just let HP rise and fall, but you and I form a "Cool Alliance," where things like this does not phase us. Deal?"

1. profile image0
        swilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I know I have to have patience. I know never to fire endurance. Yep. As matter fact impatience is middle nameā€¦not really just a matter of speaking. I have to work on that. Thanks.

swilliams, dear friend, what about our alliance?

1. profile image0

Dear Kenneth, I do believe that you will probably kick me out your  alliance group. You know the group that concerns the Hubscore that I am not supposed to worry about.

I should be ashamed myself... being that I wrote an article on how not obsess over your Hubscore...However, I have noticed that when traffic goes up my Hubscore goes down.

Yep. I am officially kicked out of the don't worry about your Hubscore alliance group... aren't I?

I don't understand. but that's okay I don't need understand everything...Do I?

But if anyone knows anything please feel free to tell me.

And I'm probably kicked out of Examiner 1's patience group too. Hugh? I probably need therapy...but they will probably kick me out of their office too.

No. Give me time to find an answer for that one. I have to eat my supper. lol

1. profile image0

What are you having for dinner? Bird seed? I joke a I kid. But all joking aside, is bird seed safe for humans to eat? I ask because you are an expert at bird watching. Love the Hubs.  I should stay on topic. I do await insightful information. Thank you.

Certain bird seed is safe to eat and others are not. Some can be added to dishes or cooked.
                  I had my usual - a sandwich with some salmon from a can, spices and cheese. Plus tea and desert.
                  As for your question, I would guess that it is like editing a Hub. As you wait for the sudden response to traffic reply, it is similar to a 'shock' to your Hub and it has to bounce back.

2. kenneth avery profile image79

Dear swilliams,
              Emphatically, NO, you are NOT kicked-out of our "Cool Alliance." In order to be even nominated for a kick-out, you need to publish a hub and aim it at ME using flimsy adjectives, a lot of "yew know?" a few "like, you know," and a "Ewwwww," or two.
              Other than this one rule, you are in good standing with our group.

1. profile image0

Oh thank you Kenneth! I was very concerned about being kicked out of our unofficial group. I'm only human. I normally don't worry like that.... okay, yes I do. But I'm working on It! Thank you for not kicking me out the group. And I do have a Hub with  Ew! in it, complements of Jimmy Fallon, but none of them are about you. :-)

swilliams,
                  You will be so proud of me for not worrying about my hubscore that between your comments, my replies and this comment  . . .
                  1. I took a nap
                  2. Walked a half mile for exercise
                  3. Taught my cat to do a trick
                  4. Started learning Portuguese
                  So you are right. Worrying does not pay.

1. profile image0

I could have learned how do all of that great stuff.... I missed the boat Kenneth.

2. profile image0

Yes, of course Kenneth! We will call it the let's not have a heart attack over your Hubscore alliance! Actually that's too long I'll have to think of something shorter. I'm open for suggestions. I actually sneezed and my Hubscore went down. But you are right Kenneth no worries. "Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength.ā€
          ā€• Corrie ten Boom
          That sure does sound good on paper :-)

swilliams, you sneezed and your score dropped? I love it. If you get a part-time job in stand-up comedy, I will be your biggest fan. I promise.

1. profile image0

I was thinking the same thing about you my friend.

swilliams, you are a very sweet person to even think this, but you are one who has the quicker mind and wit. Hey, I could manage your career and you would be rich in no time.

2. taiwokareem profile image61
    taiwokareemposted 9 years ago

yes mine drop from 79 to 63

1. profile image0

It's always good to update your Hubs every so often. Sometimes change happens for the best. I worked for a company that updated their programs every year! They told me their system is like a tween kid, they always have to try on new outfits to stay ahead of the game. If the outfit works fine and if it does not, at least they tried. I have learned that Flexibility opens the door to growth.

2. profile image0

Your Hubscore is going back up! Did you edit too?

3. profile image0

Did this change happen after editing? It moves up in a turtle manner, not as fast as it used to. I know there has been some changes or tweeking concerning the system.

1. taiwokareem profile image61
      taiwokareemposted 9 years agoin reply to this

no i didn't experience that but it fluctuated from 79 to 68 to 63. i was so shocked but i had to move on

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I complained about this a few weeks ago and Paul Edmonson posted on one of the forums that the team did, in fact, do some tweaking which changed the way in which hub scores are done.

He also said there would be more "tweaking", but this was a problem for many here, including me.

Those scores supposedly do not affect your views but can be affected by your views, which is one of the reasons they are constantly changing.

When you edit, your post goes through QAP again, and the score will always come back lower, even though the post may be better.  It will come back up in time, but maybe not as much as you would prefer.

1. profile image0

Hopefully the changes will adjust properly with time and patience. I'm not good at the patience part, I keep hearing that patience is a very important part of life.

4. profile image0

That makes sense. Thanks The Examiner! :-)

You are welcome swilliams. Glad to help. :-)

5. goatfury profile image90
    goatfuryposted 9 years ago

Overall, changes are really good for Hubpages in terms of Google's bots taking a look, right?  Seems like they'd want to encourage this behavior, not discourage it... but I'm no SEO wizard.

1. profile image0

I am talking about the  score that is next the actual article itself. Google bots may play a role behind the scene. I would love to take an SEO training class however...I'm still trying to grasp the Google analytics concept. It's a lot to take in.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

swillilams:

When time permits, check out the hub Writer Fox wrote about SEO.   It's heavy, but he really knows his stuff.

1. Writer Fox profile image32
          Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the complement!

Writer Fox:

That was no compliment...you are a person who really knows what he is doing.  It's a fact, my friend, a fact!

2. profile image0

You provided a wealth of information involving SEO thank you. I do believe that understanding SEO is important. Yet, some experts say that it can be a tricky game at time and very time consuming. Very informative info. Thanks Writer Fox!

1. Writer Fox profile image32

I'm glad it helped, Emunah. Are you still taking Hebrew classes?

1. profile image0

How did you know about that? I'm still working on the Hebrew alphabet. Through the scripture Psalm 119 in Hebrew! You have a good memory Writer Fox!

2. profile image0

You know Paul Edmondson did a video with SEOinhouse.com it was awhile back in 2012, However there is some good insight.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nah_RUOP94g

I looked for that and got "Oops! Chrome could not find insight..." I looked up YouTube pauledmondson SEO and three showed up.

6. profile image0

Thank you.

Sorry for the typo, but you're welcome.

1. profile image0

Are you kidding me? I am the woman who killed the word Squidoo. I will never make fun of a typo for the rest my life. I am banning myself.
        Seriously...You can spell the word zoo wrong. You can say," I went to the OOZ today." and i will ignore the typo and think... maybe she or he met zoo. I'm so over it.

7. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

My hub scores have gone up even though I hadn't published anything for awhile and traffic has not been booming for me.  However, since I have added new hubs, participated in forums, etc, my HUBBER SCORE has dropped almost 10 points.

1. profile image0

It's sad when this happens. I am positive person for the most part. I just want to bring awareness on how to address this situation. I feel that most of us really strive to be authors of quality. We want to do our best, so it is weird when you try to participate and then your Hubscore drops. As matter of fact I have been talking a  lot on this thread maybe may I should pipe down... it does not seem to be helping my Hubscore. But I was told that I should participate. I feel like I'm being attacked by the Hubscore Grim Reaper...
      http://s1.hubimg.com/u/9203500_f248.jpg

8. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 9 years ago

We have had quite a bit of discussion about this and we will make future adjustments.

It will be a few months because we are in the middle of some large projects.

9. profile image0

HI Paul! How does the big plan impact hubscores? Does it have to do with SEO Data?

1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
      Paul Edmondsonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

We've changed HubScore so much over the years. It once had a significant traffic component. Not so much today. We don't use seo data in the scores.

1. profile image0

Thanks Paul I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.

1. profile image0

I must say, that it nice to know that one can write about what they know or have experienced without being fearful of their Hubscore. Because let's face it, if my Hubscore is reflection of poor writing skills then I don't want to keep writing...that's sad. Oh Just a tab bit of info. My daughter is visiting me before she takes off for college. She is majoring in communications. She told me large project is none of business for now. And my future daughter-in-law from the U.K. who is also majoring in communications told me to get off the computer. :-)

2. Brite-Ideas profile image94
        Brite-Ideasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

thanks for this, I was looking for this information

10. profile image0
    LisaKeatingposted 9 years ago

Thanks Paul.

11. profile image0

Wow! Examiner that would make a good Hub. What a healthy dinner! Thanks for your reply! I sincerely mean that. :-)

Unfortunately I cannot take photos, since I do not have a camera, or else I would.
      You are welcome.

12. PurvisBobbi44 profile image90
    PurvisBobbi44posted 9 years ago

Writer Fox is the best in my book---I have learned so much from him---I feel blessed to know him as a fellow Hubber. I just had to but in and share my thoughts.

Bobbi Purvis

That!!

2. Writer Fox profile image32

Thank you, Bobbi.  I guess that means that I get your vote for the Hubbie Award for being the best animal on HubPages.

13. Cynthianne profile image60
    Cynthianneposted 9 years ago

Mine always does but then picks back up once a few people have read my article.

14. PurvisBobbi44 profile image90
    PurvisBobbi44posted 9 years ago

How did you know!!!!

15. profile image0
    Peggy Jamesposted 9 years ago

This is what helped me to understand hub scores. Maybe it'll shed some light.

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/hubs … bber-score

1. profile image0

Hi Peggy! Yes I read that one too. I just noticed that some weird stuff was happening. Due to some big project changes, the Hubscore is going through some changes. I think it's getting a face Lift I think they should use short words instead of numbers.

Example:

100% to 90% Really in depth articles Evergreens = AW = for Absolutely wonderful!
      80% Detailed articles= NB= Not Bad!
      70%  The middle of the Road articles = O= Okay.
      40% The I'm not sure what's going on here- articles= H= Hugh?
      Anything below 40% The horrible insane what were they thinking articles E= Ew!

But that probably would not work either because then I would be wondering why do have an E for Ew! hubscore?
      Yep. :-(

16. Bluelotusrajeev profile image47
    Bluelotusrajeevposted 9 years ago

I have not much knowledge of Hubs score but as i know few facts about seo, may it be the factor. More you add the words more fluctuation in your keyword density. Also some addition may alter the perfection of the entire article that make it drop the hub score.

1. profile image0

Hi Bluelotusrajeev, I have not gotten a chance to study SEO as much as I'd like to. However I believe that SEO is a different kind of beast within itself that takes time to understand and invest in.

1. Bluelotusrajeev profile image47
        Bluelotusrajeevposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Seo is giant killer but content is king which control the seo. So give good content get better -  semantic search is what today's need.

1. profile image0

When you say content are you talking about the length? Or original content?

@swilliams It's never about length. It's always the information. May you write 200 words good content full of information needed by me, I sure read the article many times but 1000+ words not relevant to me or lack  the information - it not worthy, will leave never come back again.

1. profile image0

I agree that an article should be based on fact and engaging for the reader. However when I wrote articles for certain news outlets they wanted 500 words not over 600 words, And Google likes evergreen content such as Wikipedia. Which are lengthy articles,

We are not Wikipedia, we are better. For one thing, most writers do not seem to edit the articles before they are posted, and nobody does it afterwards either. For Evergreen content they do not seem to do very well. I do not see polls, quizzes, hardly a map or a video, etc. They have many links, maybe too many, sometimes they do not work and usually they only go somewhere else in Wikipedia.

1. profile image0

I never clicked on any of their links but it seems as if Google is fond of their work.
                  https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c … afe=active

I know that when I search for something on Google, Wikipedia is usually one of the top items listed. I use Wiki often and I have looked at many of their links in, and below, their articles. That is how I have noticed the errors in the articles.

17. dhimanreena profile image64
    dhimanreenaposted 9 years ago

@Swilliams you don't need to worry about your hubscore. Even I noticed the same thing on my score last month when I edited one of my hubs. Believe me it keeps on fluctuating and after some time, you will notice a rise in your score.

1. profile image0

Hi dhimanreena! That is encouraging to hear. I think maybe I should not edit all of my Hubs at once. That could confuse the Hub Score fairy. I have a very big imagination. I'm starting to see a small ray of hope. However I look forward to change, and strive to do everything right on my end. Thanks!

Just be familiar with content and keywords and you will be familiar with SEO.

18. pateluday profile image51
    pateludayposted 9 years ago

Seo Benefits are hard to com by at Hubpages But I keep on trying to excel here. Other platforms offer seo benefits with significant editorial scrutiny.

19. word55 profile image71
    word55posted 9 years ago

My score has dropped too. I'm going to eliminate the Amazon links from my hubs because they don't seem to earn me anything.

1. profile image0

Word55, your going to eliminate all of your Amazon links?

2. The Examiner-1 profile image60

word55,
      I just read about someone else who was going to do that and they were told not to, it would make any difference. If you are set on this then go to the Amazon capsule(s) and check off the box for "Do not show this" before you delete them to see whether it makes a difference.

20. SANJAY LAKHANPAL profile image84
    SANJAY LAKHANPALposted 9 years ago

It happens with my hubs too.

21. pateluday profile image51
    pateludayposted 9 years ago

Will eliminating Amazon increase hub score?

I don't think Amazon capsule will have such effect

22. misterhollywood profile image92
    misterhollywoodposted 9 years ago

That is a good question - I have always wondered that too! I wonder if it has something to do with trust factors and Google? I heard that after you publish someone and it goes on Google that if you republish it ... it lowers the trust factor. Not sure if that is true or not.

1. profile image0

This is a scary thought.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image60

I gave swilliawms an answer to this up at the top misterhollywood. The main two factors that you have to remember are patience and and not to worry about it.

23. profile image0

No more worries for me Eaminer-1.

24. Pkumarpal8 profile image65
    Pkumarpal8posted 9 years ago

I am also so confused about the same.... sad

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)