What Happens When Lenses Import

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (68 posts)
  1. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

I've just started going through the first lenses that got ported over as Hubs and here're a few things you can expect when you start reviewing your imported content.

First of all, my lenses are still all showing on my Squidoo dashboard, so anything I might need if something is really wacky is still there, PLUS I already have the XML backup.

Subtitles in Text Modules - They are inside the capsule as a header in the text body now.

Video Modules - on Squidoo, these let us showcase multiple videos from YouTube in one unit of screen space.  What you will find after the import is that all the YouTube videos came over as individual video capsules.

Amazon Modules - the Squidoo option that let you have a text description and several products are exploded out into a text capsule and individual Amazon capsules, all in a clump.

Comment Module Text - on the old Squidoo comment module, there was an included spot for text.  you will find this text has been popped out of the comment box and is now in a stand-alone text capsule right before the comment capsule. 

Photo Modules - these appear to have imported okay, but I can't tell if the captions count in the overall text counts yet.

Callout Module - these came over with three styles but the only color in the color box option is grey.  Totally new here, HubPages has never had anything like this.

Awards/Accolades - a slew of Hub accolades just poured into my new account.  I have to go see what they all are, but don't have a heart attack if a whole bunch of emails suddenly arrive.

WIP lenses - did not import at all.

Groups - any Squidoo grouping designation is gone.  You get to regroup from scratch. 

Topic/Category - you'll need to redo this too.

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

A few clarifications:

- I believe subtitles for text capsules should have been moved into the content of the text capsule itself as a heading.  If you aren't seeing that please provide a couple of examples and we'll investigate.

- WIP lenses should have been imported as unpublished hubs.  Locked lenses are not imported. If you see different, again, please provide a couple of examples.

- We did our best to match up the first two levels of Squidoo categories with our topics, but it's certainly a good idea to see if there is a better (and especially a more specific) topic.

We're starting slow and we'll be refining the import process further as we go, so feedback and especially specific examples are very much appreciated!  Feel free to post links to imported Hubs here.

Thanks!

relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You are right about subtitles.  I checked more Hubs and I see them.  I will edit my original post as I still can.

As zero unpublished lenses are in my new account, I can confirm that WIP lenses did not come over at all.  At least a dozen are missing.  As these were not visible to anyone before, how do you want me to give you an example?

We'll look into the WIP issue, no examples need.   We are importing every lens that is in the export we receive, so we'll have to follow up with the Squidoo engineers to be sure that all WIP lenses are included.  My understanding is that lenses go from WIP to locked pretty quickly if they aren't edited, so maybe those 12 were actually locked?

As you work your way through the imported lenses, if you notice other issues please do let us know about them. We've compared hundreds and hundreds of lenses side by side with the imported Hubs in our testing, but this process was built in a short amount of time and  the translation process is quite complicated.  We've done our best, but I'm sure we've missed some issues.

They did not show the icon and labeling of a locked lens.  Which I've had before, so I know what those are like.  These were in WIP according to the dashboard coloring and lack of a lock icon.

Ok, we're on it.  I'm sure we will be to get those lenses imported.

1. makingamark profile image71
                makingamarkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Some of us have rather a lot of WIP lenses which have never been published so never locked.

These  are the ones I haven't backed up as yet. If they're coming over that's fine but if they're not then I've got more back-ups to do into a webpage archive of the lens in edit mode.

2. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF

So, I looked into this further.  These were the only three lenses listed as WIP in your export.  They were imported as unpublished Hubs:

http://schwarz.hubpages.com/hub/squidizenship
              http://schwarz.hubpages.com/hub/inkcity-hq
              http://schwarz.hubpages.com/hub/inkcity-template

If there were other WIP lenses, they weren't in the export we received.  Anyway, we should be able to get to the bottom of it tomorrow.

That's missing the majority of my WIP content, specifically new lenses that were to go live this fall.

There's no way that new material I was just working on, which has never been published and which I would have published if the merger hadn't been announced, was locked.

So, we believe we've imported all the missing WIP lenses now, except that we excluded draft lenses that were untitled.  Without a title we can not pick a meaningful URL, and 99% of the untitled lenses we looked at were empty anyway.  Hopefully that solves your problem Relache.

I'm seeing WIP lenses now, but I'll have to wait until I'm off a WiFi-bus to really take a look at what came over.  But at a glance, looks much improved!

2. HomeArtist1 profile image57
                  HomeArtist1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks SO much for sharing your experiences, relache!
                  Very selfless,  not to mention (but I'm mentioning, anyway)
                  oh, so helpful. smile

2. Margaret Schindel profile image94
        Margaret Schindelposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Paul, thank you very much for these clarifications. Very helpful!

3. HomeArtist1 profile image57

I know this is a learning experience for all of us but I must commend you all for the attention you've given to our concerns--very unexpected  and somewhat refreshing in quelling my anxiety.
        Thanks much!

2. Margaret Schindel profile image94
      Margaret Schindelposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with one of the first lens-to-hub migrations. Knowing some of the key things to expect is extremely helpful!

3. Heidi Vincent profile image60
      Heidi Vincentposted 9 years agoin reply to this

As one of the 1st former Squids to experience the Squidoo-Hubpages transfer, thanks for sharing with us what to expect, Relache.  This is very generous of you.  Blessings!!!

4. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Very helpful, thanks; I was wondering how it was all going to go down. Do you know anything about how special formats, like the how-to format lenses, are going to come out when imported?

2. ThisisMissyMiss profile image60
    ThisisMissyMissposted 9 years ago

When are all of the lenses going to be imported?  I don't see any of mine yet.

ETA:  Nevermind.  I found the info about the imports.

3. relache profile image72

I got email notification on my first account at 6:15pm PT tonight.

4. Corrinna-Johnson profile image78
    Corrinna-Johnsonposted 9 years ago

Awesome! I was wondering what our Squidoo dashboard would look like and you answered my question. Great to know what to expect and I am glad to hear a version of the callout module will be available smile Thanks!

5. Craftymarie profile image83
    Craftymarieposted 9 years ago

Thank you for the detailed run through - it certainly helps to get an idea of what to expect. I really like the callout module on Squidoo and use to add in tips or as a way of breaking up content etc. so glad HP made workarounds to import those.

6. nightcats profile image68
    nightcatsposted 9 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing this. One quick question:  Did you receive email notification that your lenses had transferred, or did you just find out by checking the dashboards?

I got an email this evening, just over an hour ago from this posting.

7. ArtByLinda profile image78
    ArtByLindaposted 9 years ago

Thank you for letting us know relache.  That is great information.  I am glad the photos all transferred too.  I was worried about those transferring over the most.  I figured text can be easily moved over from my back ups on my computer, but the photos.  Can you imagine having to upload each of those again?  I just double checked, my lenses have not started to move yet.  Hoping they will tomorrow as I will have a couple days off to begin fixing things.

8. aka-rms profile image59
    aka-rmsposted 9 years ago

Thanks for sharing your findings Relache!

9. Nancy Hardin profile image59
    Nancy Hardinposted 9 years ago

Thanks for all the help you've given us on what to expect with the lens transfer. I think, relatively speaking, all the work HubPages staff did beforehand, has made this an easier transition. I'd like also to thank relache and others who have show us kindness and willingness to help during this hectic time. I know that, as difficult as it has been for us, it's been just as hard for Hubbers to be "invaded" by a bunch of Squids (smile), so thanks to all of you for making us welcome.

1. HomeArtist1 profile image57

Well said and I second that! smile

10. profile image0
    Scott A McCrayposted 9 years ago

Thanks, y'all - it's looking pretty good so far. I see some things to fix, but overall it looks great. Y'all (HubPages Folks) ROCK!

11. OhMe profile image80
    OhMeposted 9 years ago

Thank You so much for sharing all this great information. Very helpful. I am anxious for mine to come through.

12. BarbRad profile image83
    BarbRadposted 9 years ago

I can hardly wait to see how mine will look. I did all the editing I knew how to do to get them ready for their debut here, but I know I'll still need to so some tweaking.

13. Shorebirdie profile image74
    Shorebirdieposted 9 years ago

Looking forward to seeing and working on mine.  Glad you gave us some info on how they're importing.

14. goatfury profile image91
    goatfuryposted 9 years ago

Thanks. I'm looking forward to the transfer finally going through, although I'm not looking forward to managing two Hubpages profiles.

15. BarbRad profile image83
    BarbRadposted 9 years ago

I'm just looking at my imported lenses, now hubs. I've only been able to look at the top two so far, both of which were written as reviews. I'm very pleased with how the video modules turned out. My intro text is intact. I'm going to have fun editing and promoting these tomorrow.

16. Elsie Hagley profile image71
    Elsie Hagleyposted 9 years ago

Congratulation to all the Squidoo members that have had their lens transferred.
    Will be very happy when i see mine.

Thank you Relache for letting us know what to expect.

17. favored profile image61
    favoredposted 9 years ago

relache can you give a link to one of your pages that transferred so we can see what it looks like?  Appreciate this update.

Here's the account that was "relache" on Squidoo.

http://schwarz.hubpages.com

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think others coming over from Squidoo can learn from taking a good look at some of your 'new' hubs.  You add enough of a personal touch to engage and interest the reader in your topic.  It doesn't look like some of the catalog type pages that I'm seeing on a few of the accounts.  I like the call outs, they look great.  Your benefit of being with both sites from the start shows in your work, very nicely done.

18. SimilarSam profile image50
    SimilarSamposted 9 years ago

What about your old lensmaster profile page does that now redirect to your HubPages one? I hope that hasn't been an oversight...

Tracking down all the links to my Squidoo profile page is going to be a pain!

1. profile image0
      belizaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

All of my lenses are redirecting to HubPages and they are going really fast. I am super impressed with the transfer process. I've done a few cosmetic edits which have been really fast and easy. I'm excited to dig in and do some more edits.

1. Writer Fox profile image33
        Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Did you get a redirect on your Squidoo profile page?

No.

Profile pages (http://www.squidoo.com/lensmasters/YOUR-USERNAME) and old subdomains (http://YOUR-USERNAME.squidoo.com) are both not showing 301 redirects.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/9245036_f248.jpg

19. Writer Fox profile image33
    Writer Foxposted 9 years ago

It doesn't appear to me that any of the Profile pages from Squidoo transferred people are redirecting to their new Profile pages on HubPages.

Can anyone confirm this?

Without the 301 redirect on the Profiles, many backlinks will be lost.

Relache posted my question on the Squidoo forum category and Paul E. just answered it here:
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/124336#post2630161

20. Shorebirdie profile image74

My lenses just transported.  I will look at them, later, though.  I don't have time quite at the moment.

21. Paula Atwell profile image68
    Paula Atwellposted 9 years ago

Thanks for posting this and being a guinea pig of sorts, relache. Great for us to be prepared when the stuff comes over. WIP is important since some lenses go in and out of WIP depending on the time of year.

22. relache profile image72

Debate Modules - consider these destroyed.  They import as two text capsule (one your opening statements, the other your base question) and a pair of comment capsules (the pros and the cons).  I really see no way to save the functionality of these at this time, however, I'm just going to hide the content for now and see what develops.

Quizzes - have not yet found one to tell you.

1. Paula Atwell profile image68
      Paula Atwellposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's too bad. Those were fun. How do you hide the content when a hub is published?

1. MelRootsNWrites profile image90
        MelRootsNWritesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Paula,
        When you click Edit for a capsule, there is a box at the top that says "Don't display this capsule".  Click it an the capsule doesn't appear when published.

And, thanks to relache for all this great observances.  It does help.  Hope to see my new hubs very soon!

2. BarbRad profile image83
      BarbRadposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Actually, they aren't destroyed. They look that way in edit, but after you publish they are side by side. I've just finished editing two with duels.

You could also turn them into polls, which is what I did with the first one  before I realized how they would look when they published. Now I'll let them remain.

23. sara0129 profile image66
    sara0129posted 9 years ago

Whew! This cleared up some questions I had. Still waiting for my lenses to transfer.

24. Shorebirdie profile image74

So far, I'm impressed at how they look, though all of them need a lot more work.  I'm working on workarounds for my Allposters and other features so that they don't violate terms.  One of my videos on Charley Harper didn't transfer over.  No worries, I was able to find it and put it in.  Some of my hubs need more writing in them, especially the review and recipe hubs. 

I haven't checked all the lenses, but I did get some feedback such as my duel module not working right.  And, some of my comments moved over unapproved.

1. Shorebirdie profile image74
      Shorebirdieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh no!  One of my polls disappeared!  It was up when the lens was imported.  I deleted it and put up a new poll, but it still isn't visible.

2. BarbRad profile image83
      BarbRadposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes. Remember to edit your comment capsule and approve the comments after you publish. I deleted a couple that referred to angel blessings if they didn't say much else.

25. smine27 profile image70
    smine27posted 9 years ago

Thanks so much for posting this. Although my lenses have yet to transfer, it's good to know what to expect. So far though, I like how things are looking.

26. Kim Milai profile image72
    Kim Milaiposted 9 years ago

This is very exciting. I'm glad to see relache that the lenses are transferring so completely. Even though there is still a ton of editing, it'll be much less painful than I thought.

I have some photo modules with 20 plus images each. I looked in the faq but didn't see for that large number if they will each be a separate photo modules? Yikes.

Waiting for mine with baited breath!

27. spirituality profile image58
    spiritualityposted 9 years ago

Quizzes are on the list of modules that won't be imported. So while there is still time - back them up yourselves! The easiest method is to DO the quiz yourself - the questions and answers will show up in one row on your screen. Then use your favorite backup method. (I'm using evernote).

28. relache profile image72

Wacky odds and ends are all over.

Anytime Squidoo has a module where you could enter some text, which was just about al,of them, and HubPages has an equivalent, you'll find the text in it's own capsule next to a capsule with the original module title and the text content snippet.  This is really annoying, as you have to go save the title from the second capsule, and then often throw away the text part.

Text with Image Modules - these turn into an image capsule which will have the title for your text in with it, while your much longer text capsule will now hold the content but be title-less.  You'll have to figure out a way to rearrange all that.

Any comments you have coming over are simultaneously showing to reader/viewers and showing as needing approval.  We are hoping admin comes up with a fix, or some humans may literally have to reapprove thousands of comments just so the comment management area of their Hub accounts isn't a mess.

29. Kim Milai profile image72
    Kim Milaiposted 9 years ago

Hello, I'm starting the editing process, yay!

I have a question concerning hub order on the profile page. Is there a way besides choosing genres to reorder your hubs? I would like to display the hubs I most recently edited first. Its frustrating to not be able to display current edited work at the top of the list. 

Kim

All Hubs are displayed by publishing date, in order from most recent  to first published.  The date shown, however, is the date of publishing or of last edit, whichever is latest. The order can't be changed.  The date will tell you which ones you have edited and which ones you haven't.

Remember, you can also feature Hubs in the spotlight by editing your Profile page.

1. Kim Milai profile image72
        Kim Milaiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you I will check the spotlight feature.

I found I needed to just wait a little bit, my newly edited hubs just moved up to the top! Probably refreshing would have helped as well. smile

2. Shorebirdie profile image74
        Shorebirdieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

In the My Account, it's ordered by hub score.  On my profile page, they seem to be ordered by original publish date, but not edit date.  The one at the tops are definitely not the ones I have edited recently, but are the last newly published items.

1. Kim Milai profile image72
          Kim Milaiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I get it now. Some of my newly edited hubs moved up, but they were also my newer publications from Squidoo. I figured out the spotlight fields in edit profile so everything looks the way I want now....

2. relache profile image72

Your profile page displays by publication date, with a groups sorting option if your visitor knows to use that.  That's where grouping Hubs can help.

Rotating material in the Spotlight is what most people do to highlight material.

30. profile image0
    CherylsArtposted 9 years ago

I'm looking forward to mine moving over so that I can get started on them. Thank you everyone for the helpful tips.

31. makingamark profile image71
    makingamarkposted 9 years ago

Can you reorder the hubs on the profile page?

It would help you read the posts in a thread before posting the same question again.
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/124323? … ost2631137

1. makingamark profile image71
        makingamarkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What's that saying?  "If You Don't Have Anything Nice to Say, Don't Say Anything At All.".

Obviously there are some who remember where everything is because they've been around HubPages for a long time.

While others are very new and trying to remember an awful lot of new stuff on an entirely new site they've never worked on before at the same time as trying to check and update hundreds of hubs while also updating all sorts of other sites for the new accounts.

You should try it some time.

That post was just one page back on this thread.  It's advisable that you read a thread before responding to it, especially if you are planning to ask a question.

You should try it some time.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)