Entitlement

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (154 posts)
  1. hack writer profile image60
    hack writerposted 9 years ago

Is entitlement contagious?
    I really want to spread that.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There is positive and negative entitlement.   As human beings, we are entitled to fair and respectful treatment.  In democratic societies, humans are entitled to liberty, religious freedom equal treatment, fair representation, and the right to a proper education.  This is positive entitlement. 

Then there is negative entitlement.  There are those among us who believe that the government's job is to support them socioeconomically although they are able-bodied.  There are people who believe that health care and housing should be free.  There are people who believe that success should come easily with little or no effort on their part.  There are those who believe that they should get an executive job out of college and refuse to work at any job that is not a professional job.  This is negative entitlement.   Depending upon the environment, familial, and peer relationships, entitlement can be contagious.

1. John Holden profile image60
        John Holdenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"Then there is negative entitlement.  There are those among us who believe that the government's job is to support them socioeconomically although they are able-bodied. "

You mean like politicians who feel entitled to eat well at the taxpayers expense or bankers who feel entitled to huge government bail outs when they mess things up and cap that off with their entitlement to huge bonuses for losing vast amounts of money?

1. Silverspeeder profile image60
          Silverspeederposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hello John hope you are well.

I think you are right, society in general has become more and more entitled and this has enabled the politicians and the bankers to receive the rewards of an entitlement society and as they think they are at the top of the food chain they believe they are entitled to more.

But now the ball has started rolling it will be very difficult to stop.

I'm better than i have been. Went for my annual check up in July and was told that my kidneys were failing. Asked if that was why I was so tired all the time and was told that was probably just because I'm old!
            A week or so later i was at chemist picking up my repeat prescription. I was told it was ready but I couldn't have it until the pharmacist had spoken to me. "How long had I been taking that combination of drugs and was I aware that in that combination they caused muscle wasting and kidney failure! Stopped taking one of them and almost immediately started to feel better!

How are you getting on?

The problem is that those who are most accused of believing in entitlement only think they are entitled to a basic life, nothing more.

I am glad you are feeling better John and it shows that we should take what our doctors tell us just because they are our doctors.
              I am still on crutches and will be for about another 3 months or so, it has thrown up another problem with eh resurfaced hip so i suppose that will have to be looked at as well. But all in all i am still breathing and a few of my friends aren't so i suppose i should count myself lucky.

Entitlement is without doubt a very involved subject. Some think they are entitled, some believe they are entitled, some are told they are entitled and some are taught they are entitled.

But mostly "entitlement" is a word used to demonise societies rejects.

I think to many are lumped in with society's rejects probably John.

Undoubtedly.
                    Isn't it a shame that we sacrifice potential for greed?

2. profile image56
          Education Answerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, and those who feel that others should work hard so they don't have to.  You see, there are wealthy and poor people who feel entitled.

Yes, there are wealthy people who feel entitled, that's exactly what I have been saying.

1. profile image56

You hear only what you want to hear.  I said there are wealthy AND poor people who feel entitled, and there are people in the middle class who feel entitled.

hack writerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No. I heard you. I didn't feel I had to confirm the obvious.

1. profile image56

Good.  Then you know that I replied to John, not you?  You heard me but didn't see the recipient?

Now, if you are merely interjecting, that's fine, but why do you act like I was speaking to you?

Yes, dear educated person. You are right. I didn't see that your comment was a reply to John.

2. John Holden profile image60

So why this emphasis on the poor?

1. gmwilliams profile image84

john, John, JOHN, middle, upper middle, and upper classes, for the most part, work for their upkeep and livelihood. They also pay TAXES and are entitled to the benefits of those taxes.  They do not have to depend upon government support for their sustenance as they are CONTRIBUTING members of society.  I also want to take the different path here.  Middle, upper middle, and upper classes receive more preferential treatment because they have EARNED it through their hard work  and education.  One reaps what one sows.    The only people who deem that they are entitled are THE POORER classes.  Yes,  I SAID IT, the POORER classes.  Not all but many people in the lower socioeconomic strata believe that society should improve their lives.  They believe that THE MAN has given them the short end of the stick when they have done nothing to help themselves.  Many of them are poor of their own choosing.  They see welfare as a lifestyle.

That is kind of funny. I am not saying middle class isn't working hard. But last time I checked the workers back in the warehouse or the ones out on the street in the heat seem to sweat more than me.

2. John Holden profile image60

There's a word for all that, if I used it I would be suspended.

2. profile image56

I only emphasize the poor, because you neglect to mention them.  Look at your own posts.  Both sides of the spectrum, and in between for that matter, have people who feel entitled.

3. profile image56
          retief2000posted 9 years agoin reply to this

John, I agree with your examples. It would appear that there is a great squeezing of the middle. I wonder how much longer that can proceed before the money and work ethic dry up. It seems to me that those to whom politicians award public largess have done quite well solely because the Great Middle is modest and moderate of temper, I wonder how long they/we will remain so.

I wonder how strong an economy can be without a strong middle class...

1. profile image56

Democrat policies are guaranteeing that Americans will soon find out.

2. profile image56

No, you're wrong here.  Didn't you listen to the POTUS during the campaign?  He was all about the middle class.  Didn't you listen to the POTUS in a recent speech?  He said that virtually all economic indicators show that Americans are better off now than they were when he became president.  If all listen we'll learn that we don't really understand our own finances; we're all better off now.  I've got to run.  I'm off to play golf!

1. profile image56

You are correct, of course. It is clear that I need re-educating. Would you please let me know when there is an opening at the camp that I may attend immediately. Regretfully, my understanding of my relationship with DIE STAAT is incomplete.

2. cjhunsinger profile image60
        cjhunsingerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Where do you find the "right to a proper education" and who decides proper? This is not contained in the American Bill of Rights. In the context of these right, you have a right to achieve an education, as all things not specified.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
      Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years agoin reply to this

W h a t ? do you want to spread, hack writer?

I know, right?

It's pretty brave. Imagine ALL of us would feel entitled... Entitled to proportional wages. An ice bucket to waste. Sorry but I can't sit here all day and find more examples.

But I thought it's like doping. Worth a discussion. Legalize it even though it's not healthy. But maybe healthier than the illegal abuse, that is impossible to prevent? And more just? Should everybody get the same chance?

I don't know.

I absolutely agree that there is something like negative entitlement and that human beings are entitled to fairness.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

We have equality of opportunity… what more do you want?
          If you want equality of outcome, you want too much.
          End of Discussion.

You don't really believe that we have equality of opportunity do you?

Depends on who "we" is  Here, due to the Constitution, all may try for the opportunity they wish. Not all can excel in all things.

We, the people.

I think it's interesting to take a look at the we and our feelings about entitlement from different perspectives.

In our community we might feel that entitlement is a bad thing. No one should be entitled to receive without giving. I agree. We all need to pitch in. Fair share.

Even though it is not reasonable to do so. Not each of us should take our trash to the dumb. We should pay someone to collect the trash. But I think we should be very aware of the fact, that this person is pitching in for us. Therefore we owe him thanks and enough pay to live.

I feel we must acknowledge the ones that do the dirty work for us and don't say things like "well they had all the opportunities to do business on the golf course instead."

Globally speaking I think most of us in this forum benefit a lot from the entitlement of being born in a rich and powerful country that can dictate the rules of the game.

I am just saying. Let's be aware of it. That would be a first step toward justice.

Could you define justice as you mean it in this situation?

2. hack writer profile image60

The definition of justice is the use of power as appointed by law, honor or standards to support fair treatment and due reward. per www.yourdictionary.com/justice yourDictionary.com

to me this is probably the antonym: http://www.equilar.com/corporate-govern … -paid-ceos

Justice is giving a person what is owed. What could we, as citizens of the world, be owed?
                    and by who?
                    In the US we are owed what the Constitution guarantees: The natural rights of Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

But, one must be a citizen to secure these rights. One who is not a citizen is not owed these rights at all.

These rights must be obtained from one's own country. Why would one leave one's own country?

Your country needs you to fight for the rights of the people who live there. Stay home and work for justice where you live.
                    ...or become a citizen in the country of your choice.

We do? My children have the same opportunities as a child born into the world of drug cartels in Honduras, or in the slums of Bangladesh, or in Haiti?

Girls all around the world have equal opportunities as boys?

In our school district alone opportunities vary.

In California  opportunities vary.

In this country opportunities vary.

That much for equality of opportunities on this planet.

You may leave this discussion any time. But no one will be able to end it.

2. cjhunsinger profile image60

----Define fairness. How would you describe the Bill of Rights with regard to fairness?

3. tsmog profile image83
      tsmogposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Unsure. Entitlement to opportunity I feel. However, entitlement to how one travels to reach that opportunity assuredly is not a reality. I am entitled to the opportunity of a said job position. I may not be able to fulfill the requirements of said job position. I have entitlement, but does my entitlement supersede the entitlement of the entity offering said position being filled with such and such background?

Entitlement to social amenities - housing, food, health systems, and etc. is either governmental, communal, or individualized. It is definitely not of a 'trust' of nature for simply being born. It must originate beyond the 'self' and nature. It must be organizational somehow.

I really think we get entitlement mixed up many times with privilege. Privileges can be revoked. It is a privilege to vote, to have a driver's license, a library card, or have some kind of membership. Even having an insurance 'policy' through a business entity is a privilege, even though a paid for privilege. Those are not rights of least here in the USA to my knowledge. Therefore they are not entitlements. One may have the entitlement to pursue something, however the one granting that which is pursued has entitlement to grant. Being granted is a privilege of the grantor.

4. Dr Billy Kidd profile image90
      Dr Billy Kiddposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Entitlement is addictive. For example, the 1400 billionaires who own and control half the world's economy want the whole thing! Why? They think they deserve it.

Very good point!

So maybe we should focus on an entitlement vaccination instead?

1. Doc Young profile image61
          Doc Youngposted 9 years agoin reply to this

... so which is the worst disease ... affluenza ...  liberalitis ... ideserveit .. grand malaise ... greyarea syndrome ...

ideserveit otherwise known as entitlement.

I think this is the breeding ground for

I need more of whatever because ideserveit,
            To hell with those who can't see ideserveit and
            no need to take a good look at me/my actions because ideserveit.

Greed, anger and idiocracy are poisoning our society.

I think to vaccinate our children we simply have to stop carrying them to the option we have chosen for them. Let them chose and find their way to the healthy state of iearnedit.

This is a win win for both our society and it's members. We should not forget that we as the people, as the society can only be as healthy as its members.

We are all connected. The crown will not flourish if you kill the base and the middle. We have to strengthen the middle not stretch and strain it.

You really think Bill Gates is stupid?

5. cjhunsinger profile image60

It spreads like an air born contagion. A deadly form of something for nothing, of whats yours is mine. It is, as a cancer that eats away the human character, the human will and turns one into a dependent, tantrum prone child exploited by politicians and money grubbing activists.
      It is a mindset that creates tyranny and destroys individual freedom. It is a methodology that justifies a government to take from those who earn and give to those who do not. It is no less the "equal distribution of poverty" in the name of a social justice.

You mean like politicians who while preaching austerity for the masses still feel entitled to claim living expenses that should be covered by their more than adequate wages off those very people that they are telling to tighten their belts.

Or perhaps you mean those foreign companies that move into countries where they feel entitled to trade without making any contribution to the host country.

Not much social justice in that is there?

6. oceansnsunsets profile image85
      oceansnsunsetsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Entitlement and what comes with it so often (like in the States) sounds so nice at first glance, and without much deep thought applied. 

The problem is, like with so many things, there is a reality that still exists where there will be an "effect" that plays out.  So, encouraging and engaging in all forms of entitlement means I would also be "entitled to what comes with that."  That isn't as much fun!   Its not free, and certainly not forever. 

It can hurt any society, an make things unbalanced, which can create new problems.  Those are things that people would rather not think about or ponder.  It is the "wet blanket" on the "entitlement parade."

Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years ago

In the US, equality under the law provides freedom to attempt to gain opportunities for oneself.
    - repeating if you want equal outcome you want too much.
    Obviously.

Anybody who thinks a poor person has equality under the law with a rich person isn't really in touch with reality.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

I guess you wish to spread the desire of entitlement to the whole world.
    What is your explanation/definition of "entitlement," hack writer?

Thanks for asking. Yes that desire is exactly what I want to spread. For the sake of fairness. As mentioned before, I look at it from the point of view of the ones that are not entitled to anything. Not even trying to keep their children alive by sending them to a saver place.

If these children set a foot over our border we feel very entitled to say "no you can't do that. I was first to mark this line and to write a paper that says this is my land."

So I think it would be good for them if they had more sense of entitlement to say
      "Well, my greatgreatgreatgrandmother was born here.
      Where did your greatgreatgreatgrandmother come from?"

Crazy right?

C R A Z Y.     c   r  a  z  y
        cra zzy ie zz ie
        cr a ZZIE
        C   r A  z  YYYYY
        crazy?

4. Cgenaea profile image60
    Cgenaeaposted 9 years ago

Allude- verb. suggest or call attention to indirectly; hint at."she had a way of alluding to Jean but never saying her name"synonyms:refer to, touch on, suggest, hint at,imply, mention (in passing), make an allusion to; formaladvert to"the prosecutor alluded to Dixon's past"

Elude- verb. evade or escape from (a danger, enemy, or pursuer), typically in a skillful or cunning way."he managed to elude his pursuers by escaping into an alley"synonyms:evade, avoid.

smile

Yes, see my daughter is very smart. She already knew in kindergarten what some people might not understand in a lifetime: Every word has a meaning.

1. Cgenaea profile image60
        Cgenaeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Very smart indeed. wink
        I just figured that definitions, polls, tests, education, and the LACK thereof, is very important to one of the posters here.
        Looked like some assistance was needed.
        Sorry for the interruption.
        I like the way you think.

http://www.grammar-monster.com/easily_c … _elude.htm
        Thanks for the grammar lesson, guys!

See now that is what I appreciate about women.

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

What if we felt entitled to love? I am entitled to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. No matter what country I live in.
    ...something like that?

Can you imagine the thought - having no one to love?

I think it would be really good if there was a program that took care of those who have no one to love. Like the government could ship out puppies or something even Trump would love. And as soon as this heart cracks send in my therapist.

Yes, good idea. I think this world would truly be a better place if there was the constitutional entitlement to love.

1. cjhunsinger profile image60

Does that mean that the government now defines love and how much and what kind each person will receive? Should to bbe patterned after the ACA?

Tell all teachers to report the kids that are love deprived. Take those to an animal shelter and give them a puppy. Let them take care of it under supervision. Why not?

I much rather have a government able of early intervention than having all those un-medicated psychos running around with guns shooting kids or becoming politicians.

But no I would not want the government to decide how much and what kind of love a person should get. Leave that to the friends of humankind like teachers and psychologists. Most politicians need a big dose of love themselves. I think. I assume.

Power does need to be tempered with love. Women are pretty good at the love thing, but maybe they are too tired to love anyone by the time they pick up the fast food and their kids from daycare or school after a hard days work. It is sad but true that today women must help pay the rent/mortgage.

BTW Puppies do not bring the love children need. Parents do. There is no substitute.

TWISI

1. janesix profile image59
              janesixposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Do you think women should go back to staying at home with the kids instead of having careers?

I actually do.

What we need is more part-time jobs!

That would allow for the best of 2 worlds.

The housewives of the 50's got bored. To stay home being a house wife is the most boring thing in the world!
                ...why? Because you are an adult. You need variety, challenges, intellectual stimulation and freedom to be an adult.  Looking after house/home, kids and husband, (not in that particular order,) is very tricky because it is so full-time. All people need time for themselves.
                They also need to fulfill personal ambitions, hopes and dreams.

Plus, our lives are too regimented by the 9 to 5 work week, (as it was in the good ol' days) in general. Our lives are boring and shallow in general. We are not in touch with our true selves. We need to become more in touch with our interest in reality, truth and nature. Not TV, money and shopping…etc.

If one cannot find a decent preschool, it is best for one of the parents to stay home until the child starts school and then work part-time while the child is in school. Be there for him after school and weekends.

Today's women want it all, however: Children, Career and House.
                (Because they know in today's economic climate: a women without a career means no House.)

TWISI

1. janesix profile image59
                  janesixposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't think kids should be shunted off to a babysitter just because a woman is bored.

But to each his/her own.

If the babysitter is good… why not?
                    The ideal set-up is a good Montessori preschool. But it must be a good one.
                    These two books really should be read by anyone thinking of having a child or raising children:

The Absorbent Mind, by Dr. Maria Montessori

The Secret of Childhood, by Dr. Maria Montessori

2. profile image56

After saying this to my mother you would have had to run and that may not have saved you. She was a little 5'2" keg of dynamite who reveled in motherhood. She always said (and I think she was 100% correct), "Boring people are bored." She was never, ever bored.

Shouldn't that be "bored people are boring"?

Have you ever spent day after day with a small child only to repeat it again the next day and the next? Have you ever said "Yes, this is a blue ball" 25 times a day for 125 days straight?

Let me tell you how it was for me: Taking care of my small children was lovely for a few moments a day (and thankfully these will stick with me) but the rest of my 15 hours were boring. Going to the same mommy-and-me classes a second time when my daughter came around I thought I have to throw up if I hear the same songs and rhymes over and over again and then one more time.

I dare to argue, the more interests you have the more boring it actually is, since you are more painfully aware of what you are missing out on... It's not that you could really do the interesting stuff your interested mind is begging you for while passing out bottles and changing the diapers.

I do have a friend who manages to read all the books there are while staying home and homeschooling all of her many children but she is not an average woman. I am just assuming she pays for this with beauty sleep and I know she is just a super fast reader.

Raising children is a very important job and I admire all of those who do it day in day out without complaint. But I admire all those just the same who say, no thanks, a good babysitter works better for us. I think it's honest. When these moms come home they might give their kids way more than those who stayed even though they were not happy with it.

3. GA Anderson profile image88
                GA Andersonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

OMG! How un-PC of you.

As a male I think women should have that choice. But since I agree with your point, I think it should be an either/or choice. I just don't think both can be done well. Which means a choice has to be made about  who suffers; the career, the woman, or the children.

Of course I am speaking in general terms. I know there must be superwomen, or certain types of careers that can accommodate both. But generally speaking... it seems to be a matter of priorities.

ps. I was raised by a working, (note the difference - working vs. career, mother), because we needed to incomes to survive..

GA

Oh Thank you! That is so nice to hear. Women should be given a choice! Unlike the puppy? ;-)

Well. I am very lucky to have a part-time job that is interesting and fulfilling so that my kids don't have to go to after school care. But I think I will soon change that so that my children have to become a little more independent. I think this is actually good for them.

When I was 7 I not only walked home from school without an adult I was also left alone to study all by myself and I do believe this has made me an independent thinker, a person able to manage her resources on her own.

I am seeing how lazy my kids are when it comes to thinking for themselves and I take 100% blame for that. I do not know a better way of forcing them to start using their own brain than to allow them to fail.

I think they should do this rather sooner than later, before it's too late. I am not planning to sit next to them at work later in life so I think they must. Too much comfort and pampering is not good for anyone.

4. gmwilliams profile image84

WELL I DON'T.  Women should have careers.  Who wants to be a housewife depending upon her husband for socioeconomic sustenance.  Women should OWN their power and careers provide women with THEIR OWN power.    Women are MORE than wives and mothers.  GOOD GRIEF!  Housewife=eeeechhhh!

Hint:  There are already enough people stomping around on the earth.

You are right, puppies can not replace a family. But maybe it's better than nothing?

What is better is this:
                ...if the government would stand back!  Let the economy percolate. Over taxing, over regulating and over restricting in the myriad ways it does, for the myriad of justifications it gives, has put the American people in quite a pickle.
                Obviously.

6. lone77star profile image71
    lone77starposted 9 years ago

The desires of human nature have become more corrupted than they naturally were with pure and simple Ego.

There are a psychopathic few who have learned how to manipulate the Ego for their own ends.

For one thing, they take the built-in Entitlement of Ego and expand upon it. Such attitudes are in our advertisements, in our movies and in the jargon of modern, everyday life.

They apply Orwellian Doublethink and Newspeak to divide us into camps. All the better to control the masses. (For example, the American news media's penchant for describing the U.S. military's war-like behavior as "peacekeeping" actions.)

Take the desire to help others. Government has taken this over with Socialism, Progressivism or Liberalism. Helping others to their own detriment, feeding Ego's demand for reward for simply existing.

I used to be a Liberal in this respect. Now, I'm older and wiser and see that even its political opposite is little better (and in some ways worse).

The psychopaths who run Wall Street, defrauded Earth of Billions during the 2008 housing bubble burst and got their puppets in Washington to bail them out for nearly a $Trillion, instead of thrown in jail.

But the puppet masters are also trying to get the compassionate of Earth to believe their Global Warming scare. "Reduce your Carbon Footprint!" It all sounds very nice and responsible, but everyone who falls for this scaremongering is being played. (That included me!)

Entitlement is a natural part of Ego. The psychopaths who run Wall Street and all the private Central Banks of the world (including America's own Fed) are playing all sides of us -- the good, the bad and the ugly.

They even have us reacting to language like some Pavlovian dog. Say "conspiracy" and some people cringe and retreat. They don't want to be associated with anything "crazy." But talking about conspiracy isn't crazy. Conspiracies happen every day. The two little boys who stole cookies from the jar in the kitchen were conspiring. It is entirely naive to think that big boys wouldn't lie, steal or murder for $Trillions and the power it would bring.

Those psychopaths have Entitlement down pat. They think the world owes them everything. They have a New World Order coming which will enslave everyone else. As Nick Rockefeller told the late Aaron Russo, everyone will have an RFID chip implanted in them, only the psychopathic rulers of Earth will have a KMA (kiss my ****) embedded in theirs.

Entitlement is self-concern. This will ruin the world and has already caused suffering since the beginning.

The opposite is Love -- wishing for others everything that they desire without any self-concern. This will heal the world. This includes forgiveness of the psychopaths for every crime they've ever committed. In fact, it includes turning the other cheek to their shock and delight. With this, we can make the New World Order short-lived and keep the suffering smaller than it might have been.

Power is the temptation. Egos are tempted. Some temptations are irresistible due to such thoughts as: "I can get away with this, " "It will hurt no one," or "No one will stop me."

So, what egos need are boundaries…
      "No, you will not break the laws!"
      "No, we will not let you!"
      "Yes, you will do the job you said you would do." / "No, you will not lie to us!"

7. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

"Our Republic encourages all factions to share in the process of governing."

Why / How?

...open discussion is valuable to determine the reality between all the extremes of the contrasting arguments.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)