Problem using maps

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (32 posts)
  1. sleepylog profile image59
    sleepylogposted 9 years ago

Hi, I want to use the map capsule in one of my hubs but I haven't been able to zoom in or out of it to be able to have the map how I want it. It says to use the + and - controls to zoom in and out but I don't see them, I tried using the + and - on my keyboard but that doesn't work either. Anyone have any idea why it's not working?

1. The Examiner-1 profile image61
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Valerie,
      To zoom back out to regular view after you have zoomed in, hit the 'Refresh' arrow in the upper left of the page and wait.

1. Shorebirdie profile image74
        Shorebirdieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There is no refresh arrow or any other arrows or markings on the map.

Not on the map, on the page at the top left in the gray strip.

Actually, it doesn't even have that, which is the problem.  It comes and goes.

That is strange, do you have Windows or something else?

Yes, windows.  With me, sometimes it works right and sometimes it doesn't.  Some people can't even navigate at all and it stays stuck in San Francisco.  I've posted in the forums about it before, but my post was deleted.  Other people have posted in the forums about this, too.

Hmm, where is the map?

I have one on my latest hub on the salt works.

2. chasmac profile image91
    chasmacposted 9 years ago

I've noticed that too. I can double click on the map to zoom in, but I can't find any way to zoom back out. This happens whether I'm just looking at someone's map capsule or editing one of my own. I thought it might be a browser issue - but seeing your post, maybe it's a site problem. If I remember right (as I rarely use maps), we had + and - controls for zooming in or out. Now I can't see those.

1. sleepylog profile image59
      sleepylogposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes that exactly what I'm talking about.

3. Shorebirdie profile image74
    Shorebirdieposted 9 years ago

This is actually a long-time off and on problem, I found out.  Yes, you can zoom back and forth into the map, but you can't move the marker around.  I would type in a location and it will put a marker near there, but not exactly at the spot.  Someone said to put the exact address in to get the marker to go to that exact spot, but I haven't tried that, yet.

4. AlishaV profile image89
    AlishaVposted 9 years ago

I have the same problem. I've just resorted to sticking another pin on the map a little bit further away so it has to expand to display both. Frustrating and not good looking, but better than zoomed far too close.

5. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

I tried a map. It would zoom in but won't zoom out.  Sick of the bugs. If a capsule does not work, I will fix it myself with the Delete button.

I mentioned above Linda that clicking on the 'Refresh' arrow at the top left of the page does it.

6. LindaSmith1 profile image60

I didn't see a refresh arrow, got tired of playing with it, deleted it. Now it is fixed.

7. LindaSmith1 profile image60

I have an arrow for reload this page.

8. chasmac profile image91
    chasmacposted 9 years ago

I just checked again on Chrome, IE and Firefox and it's still the same problem.
    I can move around the map and I can click to zoom in but there's no way to zoom out. The zoom controls that used to be visible on the map are no longer there. The examiner's suggestion of refreshing the whole Hubpage does reset the map to its previously saved state, but what's happened to the zoom controls? We need those for precise size-adjusting of the maps, especially when editing one of our own. It seems that some hubbers have them and some of us don't. We all used to have them. I wonder what the problem is.

I have not heard of anyone seeing, or using, them either. They seem to have removed them but at least we can still zoom in and out.

1. chasmac profile image91
        chasmacposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You also don't have them? Sorry, I thought you had as you said you can zoom in and out no problem. So how can you zoom out (apart from refreshing the page) if there are no controls? I tried ctrl + click and alt and shift + click, but each time it just zooms in more.

I can by using the method which I found for you, I was talking about the controls. I found another one to zoom out for Shorebirds, her Refresh did not seem to work. I posted it above.

You mean refreshing the page? Well, yes, that's what I've had to do since I discovered the problem a month or so ago. So it's not a fault, you think, but just some functionality removed. We can still have the map exactly as we want it, of course. If we zoom in too far, just refresh and start again, but it's far less convenient.

I also found out the other way of going back: quickly click your right mouse button until you you reach where you want. If you go to far, zoom back out once on the left button.

Well done The Examiner. Full zoom functionality is back. I'm actually using a laptop touch pad instead of a mouse. It's slightly different but it's much the same principle. I can double click on the left button to zoom in (same as single tapping the touchpad) and double click on the right button to zoom out. Easy when you know how. Thanks

You are welcome chasmac.

2. Shorebirdie profile image74

Yes, that works!  But, I don't think that helps an outside visitor to the page.  But, at least, I can zoom them in and out to the right spot.

That is good that it works for you Shorebirdie. I am glad that I solved your problem. :-)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)