How long should one wait before officially declaring a hub dead?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (20 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

How long should one wait before declaring a hub dead traffic-wise and deleting/moving it?

This is premised on the assumption that the thing has already been tweaked and updated to death.

1 year?
    2 years?
    3 years?
    4 years?
    5 years?

I'm curious as to how many answers would be the same as my current best guess. And possibly if there is some sort of consensus estimate.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

My guess is that a hub that won't get traffic here is not likely to get traffic elsewhere either. 

I don't use a timeline to decide whether to delete a hub.  I generally just try to see what I can do to make each hub better - all of them, not just the ones with a lot of traffic or no traffic.  If it doesn't get traffic even after all the work, or I don't feel like the hub is worth all the extra effort, then I unpublish it.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

True, but if the Hub is suitable for moving to your blog, it's still worth doing.

Even if it doesn't get traffic, extra articles on your blog add more content, more keywords relevant to your topic and more depth to your coverage, all of which Google will like, so your blog as a whole can rank higher.

1. viryabo profile image95
          viryaboposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is what I'm hoping, so I use my un-featured articles to build up my blog and website. Anything I delete here, I re-work and use elsewhere.

2. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have waited more than 2 years before deleting/moving a Hub. But now I think that I waited too long. I guess depends on the potential of the Hub. I've found certain subject matter has almost no potential at all; people are simply not searching for certain things on the Web.

I usually move them to one of my blogs, not because I think they will perform well, but because visitors to other articles might visit the moved one too. Plus gives the site more content.

3. Susana S profile image90
      Susana Sposted 9 years agoin reply to this

My own approach has been to give a hub 6-8 months and if it's not getting traction by then look at changing the keywords/title to something less competitive.

4. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

i have a christmas hub that wasn't bringing any traffic for two years, no views at all. But i kept it there and unfeatured

5. mickshaw555 profile image62
      mickshaw555posted 9 years agoin reply to this

It probably depends on the view count you are getting in the last three months

2. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 9 years ago
  3. paradigmsearch profile image61

I likewise am thinking 2 years.

I've seen dead hubs come alive after 1 year, but I don't think I've ever seen a dead hub come alive after 2 years.

1. viryabo profile image95
      viryaboposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If we are talking 2 years, then I have some house cleaning to do.

2. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have one that suddenly got 300 a day after 3 years.That lasted for about 6 months.  Now it isn't doing much again. I usually move mine after a year or two.

4. watergeek profile image94
    watergeekposted 9 years ago

I've had one that didn't do much of anything for over a year, then suddenly rose nearly to the top in the 90's. Don't know what happened, unless someone bought something. Alternatively, it might be smart to write another hub that's a more popular topic, but can link to the dead one. That might get you some cross traffic.

5. paradigmsearch profile image61

One of these days I'm going to wake up in a really bad mood and do a massive hub slaughter. Or not.

Meanwhile, generally having a good day today.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
      Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I leave mine alone. I call it history. Oh well.

6. biblicaliving profile image69
    biblicalivingposted 9 years ago

I play it by ear. If a hub just isn't attracting any readers after 18 to 24 months, I consider it dead. Then I unpublish it to help my hubber score. I've only unpublished a few hubs though, only the one's that I thought my topic and writing was of questionable interest. Otherwise, I allow hubpages to work it's magic and list the hub as "do not follow" or not featured. Honestly, I've been surprised which hubs have generated massive traffic and which ones have been duds. It's a bit hard to predict.

7. LeanMan profile image78
    LeanManposted 9 years ago

Why is it dead??

If a page is going to work it will work very quickly if your account is established and you are getting traffic to your other hubs..

Is no one searching for your keywords? - change your keywords and your focus to keywords that are being searched for.

Is there too much quality competition for your keywords when you search for them in Google? - change your keywords to those that you can rank for.

Are there many other pages here on HP also targeting those keywords and how do they compare to yours? Do they rank in Google when you search? - move the hub to another site where it has no competition (Your own site / blog)

If none of the above - what is ranking in Google? - Make your hub better than everything that you see on the first page, improve your on page SEO and cross your fingers.....

Still no luck -.... Google hates you!!

That should cover most of your options...

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

8. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

That's why I've never deleted anything.  Sometimes I take pity on an older Hub that's just been quietly mouldering away by giving it a quick tweak/edit and a Facebook share just to see if it gets a kick in the butt, but otherwise I just post stuff, throw it out there, and if the Internet Gods don't take to it, oh well, I just write something else and try again.

9. Hendrika profile image69
    Hendrikaposted 9 years ago

I can only agree with all the comments here. If I find that a Hub is just not worth the time I give up on it. Others are really good ones and I tend to keep on trying to improve them. Most of the time I succeed.smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)