HP won't answer our complaints!

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (67 posts)
  1. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Instead of coming out with a blog post, forum post, HP hides.  This is their response to what they think is spammy.  NO ANNOUNCEMENT OF COURSE!
    http://hubpages.com/faq/#Spammy-Elements

Thank you to the hubber who managed to see it and provide the link into forums about massive unfeatured lenses.

1. janderson99 profile image54
      janderson99posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Its in today's newsletter to hubbers!

2. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The information was also included prominently in the most recent newsletter.

3. CuAllaidh profile image81
      CuAllaidhposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Seems to me HP is just moving as fast as they can to try to undo the damage of the latest google updates which has crippled our traffic... I say bravo.

4. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image83
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Linda:  Do you realize that your are complaining consistently and more loudly than anybody else on the forums?  Do you realize that you might better have spent that time reworking your problem hubs so that they can be featured again?  Personally I am surprised that the team has not banned you from posting here because you are creating so much negativity and doing so much damage.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I honestly don't understand how anyone so continually upset with the site continues here. It baffles me that someone could spend three years complaining instead of moving forward. 
        I think HP does a decent job of listening to complaints.  I would much rather that they're working on improvements, keeping the site alive and kicking instead of babysitting the forums.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image83

Agree and agree

2. Jayne Lancer profile image91
        Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Glad I'm not the only one. I've reported LindaSmith1 twice over the past couple of days for what I regard as inciting anger. I like to follow some forum threads even if I don't have anything to contribute, but this constant aggressive complaining and blaming is very irritating indeed.

5. peachpurple profile image81
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't complain anything abt hubpages because i am satisfied with everything except the traffic

2. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Newsletter 6:11 p.m. today.  It is now 6:49 p.m EST.  Sorry, but I don't spend my entire day in my email box.

It would have been nice if somebody would  have announced this in a Forum post. but not much nice going around lately at HP.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I do not spend all day in mine either, but I open it when I sign on and check it off and on throughout the day when I get a chance.

I just signed on and saw the newsletter. I have not read it yet, this came first.

2. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Linda, What is wrong? You are discouraging writers with all these posts.Things aren't great, but you are inciting anger. Put a smile on your face for awhile.

1. Virginia Allain profile image87
        Virginia Allainposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's difficult for experienced writers to suddenly have the rug pulled from under their feet.

Maybe it's necessary for Hubpages to do this to save the site from Google's Panda, but it's hard for us to try looking happy when a huge amount of work lies ahead moving our unwanted content somewhere.

In the meantime, we are shut out of the most lucrative time of the year with these unfeatured hubs.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
          MelissaBarrettposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Or... conversely... you could do a bit of editing and get refeatured. I think there are plenty of people here offering to help... but THEY are being shut out by angry shouting. Those offering advice are being accused of coming down on squids... or whatever... because of defensiveness and hurt feelings. Keeping the fire stoked and the righteous indignation flowing is not making anything better...

So yeah, the negativity likely needs to take a back-seat now... if you do indeed want things up for Christmas.

I made the changes and resubmitted 10 the first day. Eight were featured again. The time needed is not sustainable and the Christmas shopping season too short, so I'll only patch up a couple of my best traffic ones for now.

The rest can languish while I set up my own websites to feature them. Fortunately I'm not dependent on my online earnings to put bread on my table. Others are not as fortunate.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image83

+111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111

2. profile image0
          Deborah Sextonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Didn't Squidoo require high quality writing ?

How long was it between the time you heard you were moving, and the actual move?

Shouldn’t you have improved your hubs during that time

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
            Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Actually they had very little time to do any work before the move - enough time for those with just a few articles, but impossibly short for larger accounts.  So I do understand why they weren't able to do much before the move.

There were many high quality articles on Squidoo, the major difference between the two sites is that Squidoo actively encouraged authors to use lots of Amazon ads, which as you know is not the case here.  And that seems to be one of the things this new filter has penalised.

1. profile image0

That's why I asked if Squidoo required high quality writing.
              Shouldn't their articles have been their best work, regardless of where it was hosted?

Sorry Deborah I added a bit to my comment later.   Most of the Squidoo lenses haven't been unFeatured for poor writing, they've been unFeatured for having too many Amazon capsules.

1. profile image0

Yes, and the person who is speaking the loudest about it, still has too many ads on a couple of their hubs,
                  The ads are easy to delete..

Yes they are, but that's not the point.  For some Squids who have been affected by this, they need to revise a huge number of Hubs (some had over 100 unFeatured) - and they were promised that they would have extra time to do so.   They are upset because suddenly, that extra time was taken away without any warning at all.  I can see why that would be upsetting.

2. makingamark profile image71
                    makingamarkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Deborah - you are treating every former lens now hub as if it's the finished article. The simple fact is that's not the case. Some still need editing.

The whole point of the grace period was to bring the transferred sites up to standard. You can't make quality judgements about such hubs when they are still in the grace period allowed for making changes to Hub standards.

Nonetheless Hubpages did - and without notice

2. colorfulone profile image78
              colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Marisa, I much more agree with what you said here. http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2622167

( Google Penguin is penalizing sites for spam and unnatural backlinks / links. And, I would hope that would be a real concern for each hubber that plans to remain on HubPages.

HubPages software found spammy hubs and had to take action fast for the sake of the whole site, because of Google Penguin's manual slaps on sub-domains. I am sure they didn't want to hurt the little guys that got caught in the spam filters. HP is more than willing to work with hubbers to get their hubs up to better standards.)

If I owned HubPages, my first priority would be to HubPages.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image83

Virginia:  Do you really think that many of the writers here have not had them happen to themselves at one time or another and do not understand what you are going through?  It happens to most of us at one time or another, me included.   We understand, but we also understand that constant negativity and complaining is not the way to repair the damage. The real way is to either work on improving hubs or take your work to another venue.  Personally, I would keep my work here, even though I might be upset, because in the long run doing so will make it better and help the site regain ranking, which will help all of us.  This is what I have done and will continue to do, but I know each person must make his own choices.

Timetraveler2 - I've survived the death of the Writer's Compensation Program at eHow, the closing of Helium, the death of Squidoo, so I know we cannot expect permanence with online sites. I originally brought this issue up, not just for myself, but for the hundreds of writers suffering through it here.

I've postponed for too long the move to my own webpages. I hung in at Squidoo long past the time when it would have been wiser to move. I'm hearing success stories all around me from fellow writers who shifted last year to their own sites.

Hubpages is probably helping some of us to make that shift to independence.

That is undoubtedly true, and I hope it works out for those who leave.  Things should not have to be this difficult.

3. LindaSmith1 profile image61

I simply post what HP has posted in FAQ's.  No alert!  Yet, we get constant posts about the New Look coming!  There are a lot of angry writers here right now and that honor belongs to HP!  Of course, add the Squidoo fiasco for over a year, and then to see same happening here all over again.   NO, not in the mood to do the "Happy Dance"

4. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 9 years ago

+11111111

5. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 9 years ago

I can't say I see much in that explanation that has not already been mentioned in some form somewhere over the last several weeks.. In fact what is mentioned there is all good practice and should be considered on your own sites if you have them and want to keep getting the traffic that you have.

Google is getting tougher on every site; things have to change if we want to get traffic and that is the reality of the situation.

We can ignore what Google is looking for but that will just spell the end for the site and people's incomes here.

If you think the rules are wrong, and that you know best you have a choice - no one is forced to write here and follow the rules.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Mostly people got upset when the rules changed and no one could figure what they were.  So maybe it is time to move on to discussing the new rules and helping each other get into compliance.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image83

+1

6. LindaSmith1 profile image61

LeanMan:  Rules have been followed.  The Grace Period for Squidoo content was apparently welched on.

Wait til your hubs don't have the hub score high enough to suit HP, or that you are not getting the traffic to your hubs that  they want, or some other lame BS and your hubs are deemed not worthy to wear the HP Crown!!

So all those who are doing the Happy Dance right now, oh well what can I say!!!   Those you criticize now, will be able to say to you: I told you so!!!     Right now HP with the newsletter has people focused on spam, but there is more there that I would imagine people have not even see yet!!  LOL!!!

1. CuAllaidh profile image81

In what way was the Grace Period for Squidoo welched on... Seems to me you are a very negative person who is just looking for reasons to be angry with HP. I haven't been pleased with the traffic of late, but I am glad to see they are at least attempting something to fix the issue.

In the way that they were unfeatured for quality during the period they were meant to be safe from being unfeatured for that reason.

People are miffed for a reason and telling them not to be is just to to make them more annoyed.  versus saying: okay I can see that annoyed you, but this is what you can do to get what you want.

The more people argue with those who found the moved goal posts disturbing, the longer this negativity will last. Especially if you also throw in some personal insults.

1. CuAllaidh profile image81

Really? The dates changed? I must have missed that (no sarcasm intended there, I am legitimately unaware).... I know there was confusion over the if you edit a hub it immediately went through the filters, but I was unaware of old lenses being unfeatured that didn't meet that scenario. I certainly didn't have any trouble with mine.

Imported squidoo hubs should have been immune from unfeaturing due to quality until the end of December.  hence people being a bit miffed when that happened to them. The thing about being miffed is that a person needs to sort of work through that before they can then get on with dealing with the new situation. Something that should not take long unless a lot of people say that they rules never changed, or that being miffed makes you a bad person in some way. Then the person can get stuck in a loop defending themselves.

2. profile image0

I love the way people expect more from others than they do from themselves.
          It's okay for you to insult the hubber you are replying to, but he's not allowed, and it's okay for Linda to be angry, and vehemently express it, but not those who disagree with her !!!

Start with good quality hubs, and it'll be easier for everyone

3. Marisa Wright profile image86

+++++1

2. Virginia Allain profile image87

There are some hubs with scores in the 90s and even 100 that went to unfeatured when the filter was run. Different guidelines were applied apparently and from what I can see, it is having sales capsules in the hub. Even hubs that passed QAP the day before, were suddenly unfeatured for quality.

7. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

From the HubPages TOS, point 13

13. DISCLAIMER
    THE SERVICE ARE PROVIDED "AS IS", "AS AVAILABLE", WITH "ALL FAULTS", .... HUBPAGES MAKES NO WARRANTY THAT THE SERVICE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE, OR ERROR-FREE, OR THAT THE QUALITY OF ANY PRODUCTS, SERVICES, INFORMATION, OR OTHER MATERIAL PURCHASED OR OBTAINED BY YOU THROUGH THE SERVICE WILL MEET YOUR EXPECTATIONS, ....

So, as has been legally stated, if any information obtained via HubPages is not meeting someone's expectations, HubPages is not responsible for that.

That's probably why HubPages answers some complaints and not others.

8. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Excuse me, but I am not a door mat to attacked on a personal level.  I reworked mine by moving them.

The big issue is that Squids thought they had a 4 month grace period and it was welched on.  Agreed?

Unfortunately, while I know you are trying to fight for Squids, your continual rants have prevented Squids getting that crucial message across.  You have introduced all kinds of other complaints and attacks on HubPages - whether they are justified or not is irrelevant, because what they achieve is to muddy the waters, derail forum threads and distract from the central message.

So by dominating the threads with your rage, you're having the opposite effect to what you hope.  Please calm down, ask yourself what you're trying to achieve, and either present your arguments in a reasoned fashion or decide that any further action is futile, pick up your bat and ball and start work on your new sites.

This is so spot on, Marisa.  I fail to understand why anybody who is so unhappy continues to stay on a site they claim is so terrible, keeps threatening to leave and then states they plan to leave part of their work here if they do go.  Someone earlier posted that people here are somehow making the complainers feel like they somehow are bad people, but that is not it at all.  People are just getting tired of hearing the rants and excuses and are losing respect for those who go on and on with them.  They would much rather hear people talk about what they plan to do to make improvements so that issues like this do not happen to them and accept help to do so when it is offered, rather than ignoring it.

When I read some of the responses, I also read them as saying the Squids are bad people, or at least dumb.  If I think that and they're not directed at me, how do you think Squids feel?

If one more person says the ex-Squidoo lenses were unFeatured for a good reason so get over it, I will scream.  That is NOT the point.  A promise was made to the Squids, which was broken.   There was a very good reason for breaking that promise, but there is absolutely no excuse for the way it was done - with no announcement, no warning, and no apology.  I would be incandescent if they'd done it to me.

Explaining, over and over again, why the move was necessary and then saying, "so you were collateral damage, get over it" is not helpful.

As Psycheskinner said, the Squids are perfectly justified in feeling aggrieved.  "Telling them not to be is just to to make them more annoyed.  versus saying: okay I can see that annoyed you, but this is what you can do to get what you want."

Nobody with any brains is arguing that folks were treated poorly or that they should not be upset.  Of course they should be upset and have every right to feel as they do.  You know that I went through something similar and was very upset at first...and in my case, I never actually found a reason for what happened, which is unbelievably frustrating and upsetting.  At least the ex Squids were given some hints as to why things happened...even though some of what they were told may have been pretty murky.

However, there is such a thing as beating a dead horse.

I agree with you about the dead horse, but my point is that even you have never sympathised with Squids about the broken promise.  Not once.    You, and others, have simply repeated what Paul said - that their Hubs need to be hidden from Google because there must be something wrong with them, so shut up and fix them. 

When you consider that the reason Squids are upset is that many of those Hubs were getting good Google traffic, you can see why they think you (and others) are talking through your hat.   Google does not send traffic to stuff it doesn't like!   It's just unfortunate that some people took over that thread with rants, so that message has been lost on most people.

Yes, and I was getting good traffic too because Google loved me and then "poof"... so to me it means nothing that people were getting good traffic.  Obviously I was doing something wrong and Google changed something and caught up with me...Paul was just trying to preempt that problem from happening and dropping HPs ranking even more.

Also, I have sympathized in many of my posts because I do know first hand how it feels to get dumped on, but I have little tolerance for whiners.  Mea culpa.

2. Paul Ward profile image68
                Paul Wardposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Agree with all that, bar the word "hat"smile

9. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Excuse me, but I am not a door mat to attacked on a personal level.  I reworked mine by moving them.

10. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

And yet people seem happy to continue to engage with this thread which is a strange way to signal disapproval of it.

1. profile image0

In other words, if you disagree with it, you are to be quiet ?

11. Venkatachari M profile image83
    Venkatachari Mposted 9 years ago

There is already a mess of it here. So I do not see my need to post something more in this mess. Better keep quiet and let things happen. We can do something positive than accusing.

12. Coffee-Break profile image84
    Coffee-Breakposted 9 years ago

HP is a business which needs to make money. If it doesn't, it will cease to exist. In a world of volatile SEO rules, where traffic can disappear overnight, it is not simple to take the right decision every time. And it is quite possible that the right decision can hurt some hubbers.

I don't agree with all the HP decisions, but if I need to say something, I will make a suggestion. The moment I will think HP is not good for me anymore I will move my content away.

HP gives us a platform to write on, we don't have to lift a finger for maintaining a server, writing code, or paying an expert to do it, do SEO, or even choose the best Advertising program. Heck, we even get a great commision with Amazon, 8% is pretty good.

If someone thinks they can run better a website like HP, why not invest, and run their own. Heck, if it's going to be better than HP, I'll write for them. Sure it hurts when you lose money, I lost money too after the move. But blame Seth for selling Squidoo. Oh no, it was his website, and he got to decide what to do with it... Damn!

And indeed, Google hates content farms, as witnessed by myself when I posted on Google Webmaster Forums. Everybody there, (you know those reputable forum members who are clearly hired by Google, but they don't mention it), seemed to have been in agreement that I should move from HP.  I am not going to, because I think there is better here than on my own websites, despite what Google thinks.

and you are the type of writer who will raise HP from the ashes and help it to succeed again.  I'm loving it!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)