Hold the Phone - Huge Traffic Spike

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (80 posts)
  1. janderson99 profile image54
    janderson99posted 9 years ago

A huge traffic spike has occurred on Quantcast up 21%!!! Strangely the increase was mostly for non-mobile traffic. It may be just a single page spike (meringue peak).

Here's hoping Panda has forgiven and forgotten!!! Cheers

http://www.wotisnew.com/bettraf.jpg

2. paradigm search profile image55
    paradigm searchposted 9 years ago

It's a viral hub. And a stellar one at that. It was also a HubPro edited one. I'll leave it to HP as to stating which hub it is.

3. paradigm search profile image55

And it's been pinned on Pinterest over 1.8 million times. So that's where the traffic is coming from.

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Where do you get all this information? I'd like to be able to see it.

1. paradigm search profile image55
        paradigm searchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

When I've had the viral hub experience in the past, I wanted to keep that fact to myself; leastwise until after the traffic had come and gone. Only HP knows if/when it's ok to publicize the hub.

Here's where I got the Pinterest information, http://www.likeexplorer.com/

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's really neat.  Thanks for the info!

2. Barbara Kay profile image74

Thanks.

2. colorfulone profile image78
      colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Is that the Military Diet hub? 
      Or, the one that has been viewed 22million times?

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

@colorfulone, how did you know it was the military diet hub?

Congrats to Carisa and kudos to her editor!  I love sharing these hubs that go viral.  I'll add to the spike!
        (hot dogs??)  hmm

1. colorfulone profile image78

Robin's hubby, Paul Edmondson, shared the news on a Status post, Rebekah. It showed up in my feed because I follow the leader on HubPages.

I shared that hub, too. There are people all around the world wanting to lose 10 pounds before summer.

That is a great testament for HubPro and Carisa, who must be thrilled.
          A great WIN for HubPages!

Happy, Happy, Happy!

I am really happy for Carisa because she has had some  difficult times here in the past.  Good for her!!

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

I just read it.  That was one heck of a hub and certainly deserves all of the kudos it is getting!

4. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 9 years ago

My traffic is down about 10%. Boo.

I think I am also starting to see the symptoms of the beginning summer traffic decline. Plus I'm going to start incurring additional business-of-living expenses come July. Between the reduced income and the increased expenses, I'm going to be freaking doomed if I don't come up with an additional revenue source.

5. Robin profile image87
    Robinposted 9 years ago

Here's the Hub that has gone viral—mostly on Facebook!  We will be doing a blog post on it in the next few days.  The Hub was HubPro edited a few weeks ago and has done very well!  Kate Rix, the HubPages Editor, and Carisa, the Hub's author, worked together to create a really great Hub.  Carisa has been kind enough to allow us to show before and after images, so we will be doing that in the blog post.  We are very happy for Carisa; she's a really nice person and the traffic is well deserved!

janderson99posted 9 years agoin reply to this

@Robin - how do you get H2 in the callout box like the ones shown on this hub. I can't find this option. Thanks.

<div class="callout colorbox"><h2>Dinner Day Two</h2>

Thanks and Cheers

I see that http://www.likeexplorer.com/ is showing zero FB count for any hub I put in there. Good to know I was led astray.

3. janshares profile image94
      jansharesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

OMGEEEEE!!!! Look at those numbers! Those votes are crazy! Congrats to you, Carisa. What a blessing. Amazing looking hub, too.

1. PegCole17 profile image94
        PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Inspiring! I'm on day two of the diet with fingers crossed!

+1
          Keep us posted, Peg.

1. PegCole17 profile image94
            PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Will do! Had to go to the grocery store for some of the things I was missing.

4. Sed-me profile image80
      Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What a great hub... and what a cutie the author is. She seems so positive and motivating. No wonder so many ppl responded to positively to her hub.

5. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's a testament to the effectiveness, value and quality of HubPro. Great looking Hub.

6. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

@janderson, I believe it's the title heading.  The title shows up in the capsule. I have it on a couple of mine.

The source code (provided) shows it is a callout.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it is a callout.  The title that you can add while in edit mode will show up in the callout capsule. I have one in a callout on my Max Martin hub.

@colorfulone, ok, got it!  I just noticed it on my feed also.  I thought you may have a secret way of knowing!

Got it, thanks.

No crystal balls here, Rebekah.
          Although, I might joke about it some time.

2. Nell Rose profile image90
      Nell Roseposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi, I am not sure how you can use Callout like this? thanks

See the viral hub. It shows callout headings used as subtitles for a dramatic effect. Day 1 menu Day 2 menu etc. It also uses tables in an usual way for lists of foods in a menu.

http://www.wotisnew.com/new_table.jpg

1. Nell Rose profile image90
          Nell Roseposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks janderson, I thought they meant that the photo and heading were in a callout, just got myself confused there! lol!

2. Robin profile image87
          Robinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think Kate did a great job organizing this Hub and using the different capsules.  The table was a smart move to show ingredients in a way that didn't get lost amongst the photos.  The photos were commissioned by one our photographers.  I'll be working on a blog post today with more information, so stay tuned!  smile

7. paradigm search profile image55

https://i.imgflip.com/jvtrr.jpg

Pinterest is a different kettle of fish that Google probably lusts after.

Google just might, here's hoping. - Cheers! 

Edited a word.

I see the traffic spike is still going nuts. Oh to be a Related Hub on that hub...

I hadn't thought of that, but indeed it would be sweet to hitch a ride on that hub's shirttails.

I lucked out in that scenario once. I guarantee you the related hubs there are cleaning up big time.

8. Solaras profile image93
    Solarasposted 9 years ago

Huge congrats to Carisa - some good news in the midst of the gloom and doom!

9. Alternative Prime profile image56
    Alternative Primeposted 9 years ago

Cheers for her ~ Although the content suggests a rather dubious diet which in reality might pose a significant health risk at best ~ 10 pounds in 3 days is a ridiculous claim ~ Losing 1/2 pound in a day is difficult enough to achieve while maintaining good health ~ 3 Pounds per day is absurd without surgery, just ask any doctor ~

More concrete evidence that short lived HP traffic spikes like this are merely the result of few and far between anomalous  “Luck of the Draw”  incidents ~

Furthermore, health risks aside, while the writing and creativity within the hub is average, the incredible length I’m sure has FRIGHTENED  Jodah to tears and most certainly has Turned OFF LongTimeMother and presumably many other members who are a bit too lazy to read anything more wordy than a Prediction within a crunchy fortune cookie ~

~ A.P. ~

1. LongTimeMother profile image92
      LongTimeMotherposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh, what a surprise. You're wrong again, A.P.
      smile

10. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

Don't want to jinx it but anyone else seeing increases in traffic, CPMs, earnings, and decreased bounce rate? Hubscores are also improving. I wonder if some of us are benefitting from Carisa's viral fortune? I hope so. May it last through April to counter the next panda.

The whole event and this thread have perked me up as to all things writing.

It is obvious that it helps to figure out something that users at Pinterest are interested in. Hmm. I'll have to think about this.

Thought I'd go back and check, pins are now at 1,896,215. And the FB count is working again, showing total of 216,149.

Wow! If you calculate in your head how much money she's earned from this hub, it is much, much more money than the majority of writers here earn in a year. Not all pins mean views though.

I think these are actual views that are being discussed here, and yes, when a hub goes viral, a great deal of money can be made in a very short amount of time.  However, truly viral hubs do not come along very often.

2. Writer Fox profile image32
            Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Remember that the Hub was published seven years ago, so many of those Facebook likes go back a long time.  Pinterest pins started in 2011.

Two to three hours later...

1,896,437 pins

227,049 FB

FB has increased over 10K. That is astounding.

1. BristolBoy profile image62
                BristolBoyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

3 days later:

1,900,169 pins
                372,649 FB shares

Other social networks relatively insignificant.

2. Susana S profile image95
              Susana Sposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Just a FYI. The number of social shares have reset to zero several times in the last 7 years.

2. janshares profile image94
      jansharesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I jinxed it. hmm  But no worries. I think the low traffic and earnings we're seeing right now are due to the marvelous weather. People are out and about for what appears to be the first real spring weekend. It is officially Cherry Blossom season here in DC.

11. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 9 years ago

I'm guessing the 'reviews' were part of the edit. The photos and review content I reverse searched appear elsewhere (including with a different diet). So they were either 'sourced' from elsewhere ... or they were copied from this hub a long time ago.

It certainly is a good result for the editor, though. smile

How do you reverse search photos and text?  Did not know you could do this.

Hi TT2. I wrote a hub a while back about the dangers we face when putting photos of ourselves and our children on the internet, because I'm sure lots of people don't yet know how easy it is to do.

When you go to google, choose the 'images' option and you can just drag a photo into it.

To look for text, you just copy a short part that seems 'unique' - and put it in "inverted commas" in any search engine. That's a good way to search for stolen copies of your hubs.

Thanks...and I totally agree with you about posting personal photos online.  It's very dangerous to do these days.

12. paradigm search profile image55

Traffic up yet again a little more. I've never seen a viral hub go this long before. I'm actually entertaining thoughts that when the event does pass, we might end up with a new and higher site average going forward. I can't point to any specific reason as to why I think this, so I'm just going to call it paradigm search intuition.

There's a good chance this hub could stay viral for a very long time, ps. Given that it is about a 'Military Diet', there's always bound to be people with an interest in all-things-military.

Let's face it, every time someone new joins the military, someone's going to be interested in how to feed them!

Here is hoping your "paradigm search intuition" is spot on.
      I have entertained the same thoughts and with a positive gut feeling.

3. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

When stuff goes viral on Pinterest it usually lasts longer than FB from the few that I've noticed. This is just awesome that it's lasting days though smile I have never known the PD intuition to be wrong before tongue

13. profile image0
    Engeltaposted 9 years ago

I have not used HubPro yet, but based on the reviews I have read and based on the fact that my hubber score is down for a couple of weeks now, I think I will give it a try. Maybe it will help me get back on my feet.

14. paradigm search profile image55

Check out Quantcast! Has Google granted us a new, higher quota? I guess we'll know for sure by the end of the week; looks good.

It would be nice, but the mobile stats suggest that it is a furphy, with a ride down into the valley to look forward to.

I learned a new word, "furphy".

I learned a new word too. I looked it up and it is an Australian term.

2. Writer Fox profile image32

I think it is still traffic from that one Hub (people finding it after the weekend).  Here's a traffic graph for the last two Hubs which went viral on Facebook:
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/12341371.jpg

1. NateB11 profile image89
        NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I was thinking that too. A surge of traffic from social media can last a little while.

So! The traffic hubs got after the merger was a good thing for HubPages until views died down again.  I would be interested in knowing how much traffic was internal and external.  Is that possible, Fox?

1. Writer Fox profile image32

The Squidoo content was added during September, 2014.  Traffic increased from September 6 – 26, partly because of the 26,000 new authors checking their Hubs and partly because those new articles were still ranked on search engines from their Squidoo positions and the URLs were redirected to their new URLs on HP. By September 27, with the new Google evaluation of the HP site, traffic plunged and has never recovered to its previous levels. So, no, that temporary traffic was not ultimately a good thing in the long-run.

Only HP has the information about the site's internal and external traffic percentages. You can check on your own Hubs, though.

It will be interesting to hear your observations this time next week, Writer Fox ... and next month.

I rely on you to keep us informed. Thanks.  smile

Our Google, which art in HubPages,
            Hallowed be thy categories;
            Thy authority come,
            Thy SEO be done,
            On Chrome as it is in databases.
            Give us this day our daily cheezebugers.
            And forgive our disruptions,
            As we forgive those who disrupt against us;
            And lead us not into spamdexing,
            But deliver us from site-contamination. 
            Amen

1. Paul Maplesden profile image76
              Paul Maplesdenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good work!

Good One! lol

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
              Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Awesome ! Very creative.

3. paradigm search profile image55

Think positive! Think positive! Day Two and the dream still continues...

To dream the impossible dream
        To fight the unbeatable foe
        To bear with unbearable sorrow
        To run where the brave dare not go

This is my quest
        To follow that star
        No matter how hopeless
        No matter how far

15. paradigm search profile image55

A well fed furphy is a happy furphy.

You should never feed a furphy, paradigm. No good can come of it. sad

16. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image95
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 9 years ago

Wow, she worked super hard, that Hub looks great smile Thanks for your hard work, Carisa!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)