Survey Time! What do you pay for internet service?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (35 posts)
  1. paradigm search profile image54
    paradigm searchposted 8 years ago

I figure this would be an excellent thread for people to find out if they are being robbed blind or not. I'll start.

$30/month here. Verizon DSL. I'm actually somewhat fond of them. How about you?

An update caused by the posts I've seen so far. My bandwidth is unlimited, Verizon never even brought up he subject when I signed up. Netflix gives me all my cable desires for a grand slam total of $8/month, no streaming issues whatsoever. I suspect Netflix pays the internet providers extra for this.

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
      DrMark1961posted 8 years agoin reply to this

R$60 per month for 2 GB at high speed, unlimited after that but it moves verrry slowly. I have VIVO here in Brazil.
      This used to be expensive, but the way your economy is going (compared to ours at least) the US dollar is now so high that it is only $20 per month. It is a good deal!

paradigm searchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

WTG! Mine was $25/month, but then they raised it to $30 after a year. If they try that again on year 2, I"ll start shopping around again.

2. Kevar Telfer profile image43
      Kevar Telferposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I Have a verizon phone, how can this help?

If you are a fellow poor person, you may qualify for Lifeline. $3/month for the phone. My being able to piggyback DSL worked out quite nicely. Poke their website with a stick. big_smile

3. csmiravite-blogs profile image73
      csmiravite-blogsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

$23 a month in the Philippines for unlimited broadband.

4. colleenmiller profile image61
      colleenmillerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I live in Juneau Alaska and I pay $115 a month!! Not to mention Netflix and Xbox Live...

5. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

paid $116 ( USD $32 ) per month for 1mb speed, which is very slow compare to 8mb ( $169 = USD $48 pm ) Can't afford to pay that much

6. stricktlydating profile image85
      stricktlydatingposted 8 years agoin reply to this

$30 per month Wi-Fi unlimited at home and I use it on my mobile phone as well as laptops & tablets. Sydney Australia. Quite cheap by comparison of daily living. If you follow me on Twitter this week you would have seen me complain about paying $4 for a small broccoli and $8 for a small packet of raspberries at Coles supermarket! Or others may see it as monthly internet the same price as 1 packet of cigarettes.

2. Maina Ndungu profile image92
    Maina Ndunguposted 8 years ago

Around $0.5 per day valid for 24 hrs here in Kenya using Airtel 3G.
    100 MB at high speed, and then 256 kbps after that.
    However, you're able to access social media and Gmail at full speed.

3. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 8 years ago

$18.42 USD.  Download speed of 15.43 Mbps. Unlimited access.

4. paradigm search profile image54

From the posts I'm seeing so far, maybe me shopping around wouldn't be a bad idea...

5. profile image60
    Vintervargposted 8 years ago

I am paying 14 EUR/month for 3G wireless. Do not remember the speed, but it is fast enough. There is a monthly limit of 30GB, then the speed drops until first day of next month if I go over the limit. So, there is not enough internet to stream movies daily, but it is just enough for basic everyday needs. Anyways, I am renting a short term apartment, so it is the only solution I have for now.

You caused me to update my op. smile

6. colorfulone profile image77
    colorfuloneposted 8 years ago

Frontier high-speed internet service for $19.99 a month on a 3 year price lock.

7. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 8 years ago

Well, now I know that we are being ripped off. We have high speed cable internet and they charge $50. The trouble is that we can't get anything else in our area.

1. Jason Marovich profile image87
      Jason Marovichposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Don't feel too badly.  $62/month here.

8. paradigm search profile image54

Thank you for fessing up! I was beginning to think those being overcharged didn't want to say so. The more we know, the better we can defend ourselves.

Please do state those entities that are less than honest. As an example, it is my personal opinion that TWC is crooked beyond belief; and this goes way beyond internet and has to do with their billing practices in general; so glad to be rid of them; I even stated as such on the infamous websitewithnoname . com, but deleted it for karma reasons.

9. paradigm search profile image54

Meanwhile, slut that I am, I continue to follow back on this account until it reaches 105.

I see that I only picked up one follower. Slackers....

10. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 8 years ago

I pay £25 a month (c. $40) for BT business broadband, unlimited. Having a reliable broadband connection is crucial for my translation work, so I do not begrudge what I pay even though I could get another ISP for less than half the price. Over the last year or so, there was only one occasion when the service went down for a couple of hours. On another occasion, the problem I was having with the broadband constantly dropping was actually caused by the filter thingy in my phone socket. I was able to use a priority business number to report my problem and BT sent out a engineer to sort it out the day after I phoned. OK, I had to pay $300 because the cause of the problem was inside my property, not on the external line. Again, I didn't begrudge the cost (less than two days worth of average earnings for my translating activity) since I was back to full efficiency within 24 hours and thus avoiding letting down my clients. As a BT customer I also benefit from the arrangement that I can "piggy-back" off other BT subscribers. What they do is provide a totally separate network through the router that can be used by anyone with a BT account without impinging on the router owner's network. It means that when I am away from home, I can often access free wi-fi on phone, tablet or laptop, which is very useful.

11. Elsie Hagley profile image71
    Elsie Hagleyposted 8 years ago

Because I live in the high bush country in New Zealand, I can only use a satellite, which is expensive.
    $125.00 a month for 8 GB

12. paradigm search profile image54

Posted a link at websitewithnoname . com to this thread I did.

13. viryabo profile image93
    viryaboposted 8 years ago

$40 per month, Unlimited access.

14. carny profile image90
    carnyposted 8 years ago

100 mbps cable for 24 euro, it includes TV as well. However, connection quality with anything outside the country isn't that great. I guess I shouldn't complain.

15. profile image0
    Snakesmumposted 8 years ago

Here in Australia, we seem to be a little more expensive than the USA.   I pay $40 AUD ($32 USD)  per month for 25 G  - Discounted because I have my landline and mobile phone with the same provider.

16. kannanwrites profile image92
    kannanwritesposted 8 years ago

Rs. 650 (around 11 USD) a month for high speed cable internet with unlimited access here in Mumbai, India.

17. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 8 years ago

Equivalent to 19 USD here, unlimited bandwidth, but speed reduces after 20GB.  Supposed to be 21Mbps upto 20GB but I'd be happy to get 2Mbps. Anyway it's the best of the lot without a wired connection. Using a dongle here at university. Home connection is much better at the same price.

18. NateB11 profile image89
    NateB11posted 8 years ago

Believe it or not, $76.95 a month, not including charges and tax. As far as I know, it's the faster Internet available, that's why I keep it. I could be wrong. I also don't know the technicalities or specifically what the speed is. Not too savvy in that regard.

I've thought I've been getting ripped off, especially considering the company is a monopoly on Cable in the area. It's a notorious company, kind of lambasted across the Net.

19. paradigm search profile image54

These around-the-world quotes are interesting! And I guess I won't be moving to Alaska any time soon; I wonder if Hawaii is just as bad.

Meanwhile, I found this map of both traffic and attacks. http://www.akamai.com/html/technology/dataviz1.html

20. paradigm search profile image54

Just a note. Visitors are dropping by this thread from my website. Any and all advice, information, and opinions about anything related to internet service, prices, reliability, providers to avoid, etc. is continued to be appreciated.

21. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 8 years ago

I pay $88 for Wireless and Phone.  Verizon was cheapest for Internet.  The don't have FIOS in my area, which is the best deal.  I got the best deal for satellite, phone and Internet that I could where I live.

22. Dressage Husband profile image67
    Dressage Husbandposted 8 years ago

I have 150 Mps down and 80 Mps up with fiber op. However I do not know what I pay as I have a full featured house phone and TV bundled in too for $144 Canadian. This is about as good as you can get in Canada.

1. Dressage Husband profile image67
      Dressage Husbandposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Since the phone bill was about $60 a month and the TV about the same that makes the internet about $24 a month I guess. All in Canadian dollars.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)