What do we do about Dylan Storm Roof?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (18 posts)
  1. CatherineGiordano profile image77
    CatherineGiordanoposted 8 years ago

I'm posting this because I need a place to talk about the SC murders and how I have been affected by it. I was surprised that I didn't see a thread on this.

The senseless murders of good decent people in a SC church on Wednesday June 17, 2015 got me to thinking --if anybody ever deserved the death penalty it is Dylan Storm Roof who murdered nine people in cold blood with premeditation after spending a hour with them in Bible study because he hated black people. When I first heard about this, I was thinking no punishment is too harsh for him.

But then I watched the families of the victims, one by one, look Roof in the eye as they struggled to contain their grief, and say that they forgave him. And I knew that the death penalty is immoral no matter how heinous the crime or the murderer. The families showed immense dignity and set an example for us all about how to hold to your moral ideals no matter how great the challenge.

The family members of the victims are true heroes.

1. colorfulone profile image77
      colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Forgiveness. =  Light
      Hatred.  =  darkness

2. Jayne Lancer profile image90
      Jayne Lancerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You need to go to the Topical Forums. This thread was started three days ago: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/131271

CatherineGiordanoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Jayne Lancer. I wasn't aware that there was a topical forum.

3. lions44 profile image94
      lions44posted 8 years agoin reply to this

He learned this hate from his family. And they did nothing about his obvious mental illness.  Maybe we need to start punishing parents who are negligent.  They are a joke.

1. Say Yes To Life profile image79
        Say Yes To Lifeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

EXCELLENT POINT!!!

1. littlething profile image94
          littlethingposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Whoa whoa. Let me get this straight. You're going to punish a 21 year old man's parents for what he did? He's been an adult for three years now. Apparently, he's been living with a roommate, not at home. So how much would the parents know? When you were 21, how much did your parents really know about your life and what you were doing? Now take into account the Internet. I can find groups online that worship purple dragons, and think bread is the root of all evil if I looked really hard. Do you think finding hate groups would be all that difficult? Probably not. Could he have learned some racism off the Internet? I'd bet my last dime on it. We have little to no clue as to the family. If it's proven the father was a high member of the KKK, thats one thing. I have heard nothing even hinting at this. It should be a matter of he did it, he gets punished. No one else. Should his roommate be in trouble for not reporting him for hate speech?  No. Besides, you think in this media firestorm, they aren't being punished?? My apologies if I offend, but he's an adult. He was apparently living his own life. Only his actions, only his consequences. He should be in prison the rest of his life. But that's on him, not his family.

4. Say Yes To Life profile image79
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If he gets the death penalty, he won't be able to do this again.

5. word55 profile image70
      word55posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure that if all Christian people were... or should I say, if he was surrounded by Christian people and perhaps brought up with Christian values, sent to church, loved by family, friends and general public then such a crime may not have happened. Now, there are debates as to whether a Confederate flag on state's property should come down or not. It is preposterous to have a flag that promotes segregation that seems to encourage even hate. This flag stands opposite of the American flag. It doesn't work trying to have it both ways.The only reason why such a flag should stand in a museum is so that people can learn how ugly history had been... There's nothing interesting that anyone can write about the young hater. The thing to do at this point, is to write about human equality, being more spiritual so that true love can start being felt among people and remove that flag... People cannot come together without the values that God and Jesus Christ represent. People on their own cannot be as fair as the principals of Christianity. This heinous crime was motivated by satanic forces. The accused will get his day in court but Satan will move on to influence other atrocities and further succeed unless, people start believing in the spiritual foundation of a Christlike following.

2. TheGutterMonkey profile image92
    TheGutterMonkeyposted 8 years ago

Any eye for an eye usually amounts to nothing more than making everyone blind. But it's a long, natural trend of humanity to confuse justice with vengeance.

3. profile image60
    DJ Andersonposted 8 years ago

When horrendous murders occur, my first thought is why?  Mental illness?  I can guarantee that this
    dude has a few screws missing out of his tool box.  Who else could have walked in, sat down at
    Bible study and then start shooting rounds?  This boy is sick.

Is Dylynn Roof evil?  I am not a psychiatrist, but I'd bet my last marble that he has lost most of his marbles.  How else could he have pulled that trigger killing nine human beings who had never harmed him?

Catherine, there is no good answer to this dilemma.  I believe in the death penalty.  But, in this situation, I feel that the death penalty is too good for him.  If he is proven sane enough to stand trial,
    then, he is sure to be convicted to life, without the possibility of parole.

Yes, those people who gave forgiveness to Dylynn are far stronger Christians than I can ever claim to be.  May they find peace from their grief and know that they have the support of the nation behind them.

DJ.

The killer stood unblinking as the families spole to him. maybe 20-50 years of solitude will give him enough time to reflect on what he did. (For his own protection, I don't think he can go into the general prison population.)

1. fpherj48 profile image59
        fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Then again Catherine......perhaps general prison population is precisely where young Dylan should live out the rest of his days.....?   He has relinquished his right to be protected any more or less than other inmates, hasn't he?  I would certainly think so.  Unless of course he called ahead to the church to warn the members he was coming to shoot them.  Somehow, I don't think he did this.  How can he possibly be given a privilege he denied his victims?
        I apologize.  Our Justice system has always confused me.  I've always been especially confused by the 24hr. suicide watch of a Death Row inmate.

4. fpherj48 profile image59
    fpherj48posted 8 years ago

We all need to "talk about" this Catherine.  I believe so many people are still in a state of shock, numbness and speechlessness.  I personally was so appalled and so deeply saddened when first learning of this, I felt a sense of being lost in a horrendous nightmare from which I could not be awakened.  I sat motionless, barely breathing or able to form a thought except of horror.

How do we wrap our brains around this kind of utter senseless insanity?  Yes, it has happened much too often and each time we are abhorred.....and it happens again & again.

Catherine, I see how this City (Community) and the members of this church have responded.  We can all see and hear what they are doing.  I am moved beyond words.   I have no right to claim such strength of true forgiveness but I am in awe and total respect of what these people do and how they have gone forward from this tragedy.  THEY are teaching the rest of the world.  The cycle of violence has to stop.....NOW.....somewhere. 

It's up to each & every one of us to see to it that peace, love and a respect for the dignity of every life be a UNITED goal.   

I have nothing to say about the murderer. 

Thank you for opening up this forum, Catherine.  it is necessary...  Peace, Paula

Thank you Paula. You brought tears to my eyes. I haven't cried about this. Like you, I think I am feeling numb. Peace--Cathy

5. Beaddoodler profile image67
    Beaddoodlerposted 8 years ago

Thanks for bringing this up Catherine. It just showed me that "God works in mysterious ways".  This young man's ultimate goal was to get a racial hate war going.  It did the opposite, thanks to the godly people who refused to be carried on the tide of hate that seems to be sweeping our nation. As for the penalty for his crime, I'm torn and very glad I don't have to make the decision..

I watched some of the funeral today. It was very moving. These people were such good people. They are needed here on earth.

I wrote a hub saying the death penalty is immoral. Even for someone who acted a viciously as this kid did. I feel sorry for this kid who was so consumed with hate. I applaud the family members for their gracious forgiveness. .

6. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 8 years ago

I watched the video on the news of the victims families "forgiving" him on  his video  bond hearing  , at first I was surprise as one after another  forgave  him and now I am in awe of these truly good and  Christian people .  I would be angry and I'm sure they are but they are such beautiful souls !   However , I feel that the system itself is  less than stellar  as to performing true justice !

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)