KNOWN ISSUE: Grammarly interferes with HubTool and linking

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (18 posts)
  1. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image61
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 8 years ago

I am not familiar with some of the new changes introduced here in HP. I wish to know any changes made in the usage of LINKS and what is there with Grammarly option. Though I used the Grammarly assistance, I am not fully aware of its proper usages and benefits.  Also, I am unable to give link to my hubs on a text. Still linking possible if I add it as a separate capsule. I don't know what is wrong with 'text-linking'. How can I solve this issue? Please help me.

1. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Not sure of the grammar option as I edit my content with Microsoft Word used for the word processing. Checking at the Learning Center I see there is a Learning Hub with steps for the Link Tool in the Text Capsule. Those instructions are:

Highlight the word or phrase
      Click on the chain link at above right

A popup window appears titled Insert/Edit Link

There will next be a window saying URL in it
      Type or paste the URL to be linked to for the highlighted word or phrase

Other options there are self explanatory

Close the Tool

Yes, there is a linking capsule that may be used too. Once inserting that capsule and opening it is easily self explanatory showing where to place the URL to be linked.

Hope that helps.

sunilkunnoth2012posted 8 years agoin reply to this

You have said it right and I had been doing the same thing till now. But these never work nowadays. Hence I raised this issue here. I think it may be because of the newly "Grammarly' option. I hope someone will take note of this issue I raised here and give some helpful tips. Thank you for your comments.

2. Venkatachari M profile image84
        Venkatachari Mposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You have made it crystal clear, Tim. Now, as Matthew Meyer says, one has to disable grammarly and then only can link the url if he is linking in text capsules.

Just listen to what Sue Adams has said here. Hope this will resolve the issue to some extent atleast.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image70
      Matthew Meyerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

There is a known issue with Grammarly that affects linking.
      The workaround is to disable Grammarly and restart your browser.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I wanted to use it but had to remove it because it kept me from doing many things on my computer.  It's a great program, but apparently has some unhappy glitches.

Please see the comment of Sue Adams and execute that plan to solve this issue.

2. colorfulone profile image77
    colorfuloneposted 8 years ago

I was having browser problems while working on hubs some time ago after installing Grammerly. I can not pin point the problem to the Grammerly extension, but with it disable I have not had any more problems. So! It is possible that is the extension that caused problems on Chrome.

thanks for this input.

3. Sue Adams profile image94
    Sue Adamsposted 8 years ago

I have Grammarly installed. To avoid the issues, you have to write / edit hubs in two stages:

1. paste in your content and format the hub with Grammarly switched off.
    2. switch Grammarly on and check spelling at the end when everything is in place.

btw this is not an HP problem, the same thing happens when I work on my own website. When switched on, Grammarly interferes with formatting.

Oh! Finally I got a convincing reply. I shall do accordingly and find how it works then. BTW, can you tell me how can I switch off the Grammarly option. Also love to know your opinion on the functionalities and benefits of the Grammarly. Thank you for your response.

1. Venkatachari M profile image84
        Venkatachari Mposted 8 years agoin reply to this

But, I never instal or use grammarly. So, I don't have any problem with adding links at all. Whenever there is any spelling mistake, it shows up with a red underline. I correct it immediately. I do not need grammar.

WE had been advised to take advantage of this new scheme, that is Grammarly through a hub weekly report a few weeks ago. In fact it was a suggestion by HP to just try it out. Hence I just tried and found some merits as well demerits. My observation is that it is more helpful that the typical spell check offered by MSWord hence recommendable. Though the software helps us well to find our the spelling and grammar errors, it is a little bit irritating too while we work on hubs. We can either use or just ignore it. That's all.  Thank you for the comments.

2. Sue Adams profile image94
        Sue Adamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I use Grammarly as a Chrome extension. Go settings, extensions.

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12494799_f1024.jpg

Make sure it is "enabled". Chrome then places a small green icon in the top nav bar. Click on that icon to switch on or off. Switch off when formatting, switch on when checking spelling and grammar.

Now that I am used to it, I couldn't do without Grammarly as it checks punctuation and grammar over and above the normal spell check. For me, it is the last thing to do, the finishing touch, before publishing a new article or hitting the "done editing" button. Grammarly has found many punctuation and small grammatical errors in all the articles I have applied it to so far both here and on my own site.

Don't give up on it, just use it the way it works best: switch it on only to check a finished, formatted hub where all the copy and pasting jobs have already been done.

4. Jodah profile image90
    Jodahposted 8 years ago

I installed Grammarly for two days but found it so difficult to write or edit a hub that I disabled it. Just too much trouble. It made writing a hub take twice as long as normal. Not worth it to me.

Yes Jodah, most of the hubbers are sharing your opinion. Though Grammarly helps us several ways, it  does trouble us while we type. Thank you for your comments.

5. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image61
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 8 years ago

Thank you so much for this information and advice. I hope other hubbers will take note of this forum post. I do endorse your observation that Grammarly is very helpful and quite fantastic too. But we should be careful while playing with this system since sometimes the suggestion it offers is blunders. Still I will say Grammarly will help us in great way to make our articles more error-free and fascinating. Thank you once again for your kind support.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)