Hubbie Awards 2016

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (95 posts)
  1. cam8510 profile image91
    cam8510posted 8 years ago

Yes, that says 2016.   I've been thinking about something, and when I finally got around to saying something, the blog thread for this years awards was unofficially closed.  So, I'm starting a new one.  I suggest that next year we consider a Hubbie Award for Most Versatile Hubber.  I believe that is completely self explanatory, so I will leave it at that.

1. bravewarrior profile image88
      bravewarriorposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you. You pulled that thought right out of my head! I think Most Versatile Hubber should replace Best All-Around Hubber. The current category is vague and doesn't lend itself to solid interpretation. I also think HubPages Class Clown should be eliminated entirely. It's redundant to Funniest Hubber, in my opinion. And what's up with Most Likely to Become a Millionaire? I don't think this platform lends itself to any of us becoming millionaires. That category should be eliminated as well.

1. Jodah profile image91
        Jodahposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you too Shauna, "Class Clown" and "Most Likely to Become a Millionaire" should definitely be scrapped. I had trouble choosing anyone for them, and as you say there is already "Funniest Hubber."

I left some categories blank because they either didn't make sense or there were too many options to pull from my memory banks.

1. Venkatachari M profile image86
            Venkatachari Mposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I also had to leave them blank for the same reasons. And especially, "Class Clown" and "Likely to become Millionaire" look much absurd and silly points.

And, I left that stuff also "Most likely to become a Hubpages Staff".

1. Jodah profile image91

Yes Venkat, I'm sure no one would miss those categories if they were dropped.

2. cam8510 profile image91
        cam8510posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Shauna, I liked all of your suggestions, especially the one about replacing Best All Around Hubber with Most Versatile Hubber.  That is would be a change with substance.

I'm really glad you brought this topic up, Chris. I was thinking about the antiquated, redundant, or flat-out stupid categories as I was voting. With all the changes HP is making, why haven't they updated the Hubbie Award categories?

3. profile image0
        jonnycomelatelyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Well let me tell you, having earned the enormous sum of $13.25 over the past 3+ years, I reckon that's in the running to be a millionaire by the year 3000.   So there!

1. Jodah profile image91

If I had known that I would have voted you for that category, Johnny.

2. Venkatachari M profile image86
          Venkatachari Mposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I am exactly at half of your earnings, Johnny,  with exactly half period (18 months). So, I can be a runner up there!!!

1. profile image0

I can see there's one hell of a party coming up......everyone must arrive in a helicopter at government expense, otherwise you don't qualify.    See ya's all there!

4. Faith Reaper profile image84
        Faith Reaperposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I was thinking of Best All-Around Hubber too, Sha, as in the most versatile category.  I had an afterthought too for possible Most Memorable Hubber and Most Memorable Hub.  There are just some Hubbers who just stick in our minds for their uniqueness and talent, and then there are hubs too that we can't forget.  Just a thought.

1. tillsontitan profile image84
          tillsontitanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Faith,  I couldn't find a link to email on your home page, so I'm adding it here instead.  Congratulations on your Hubbie!  Not just an honor to be most religious, but certainly a demonstration of your goodness and true heart.

1. Faith Reaper profile image84

Oh, thank you, dear Mary. You are so kind. I will try to do my best to deserve it. I'm humbled and so grateful to be voted by my peers. There are so many who are deserving. Hugs. The email is under Fan Mail or it used to be : )

I know, I looked under Fan Mail but couldn't find it. 
              I do hope this forum comes up with a comprehensive list of awards for next year.  If they want to keep silly awards, like Best Avatar, they should name it Humorous Awards or Frivolous Awards.  Of course I am honored to be Best Avatar, the costume took time and energy to put together, but as I said, it's not an award for writing.  They are certainly not awards that show talent in writing.

I do like the Best Series and Most Versatile Hubber Awards.  Perhaps Best Fiction Writer and Best Non-Fiction Writer might be in the running too.

Yes, the key is to start a forum a month or two before next year's Hubbie awards. Mike Friedman won best fiction writer. He is so deserving. I think best nonfiction would be a great category to add. I did a forum three months ago and HP did take one suggestion from that forum. It is showing up as related topic under this forum. So, timing makes a big difference. Yes, coming up with more writing-related awards is best to cover more of the wonderful writers here for sure!

I was so happy to see Mike win Best Fiction Writer!  Time after time he comes up with series that want us coming back for more.
                  I grouped Fiction and Non-Fiction just to make a point I guess.  They seem to go hand in hand.
                  Okay Faith dear, you've come up with a great idea about doing this for next year's Hubbies, but I think it would need to be more than three months to gather information from people and narrow categories down.

LOL, okay, however, I believe everyone here has great suggestions to ponder and resubmit sometime next year when it is more viable for sure.

2. Faith Reaper profile image84

I fixed my email notification. Somehow the one box was unchecked.  Thank you again, for your kindness and support.  Hugs and blessings always

Soo glad I could be of service!  I kept going back and going back, but it still wasn't there.  At least now it is. 
              You are more than welcome.  God bless.

God bless you too, dear Mary.

5. Faith Reaper profile image84

Blessedmommy's hub on the Three-Day Military Diet went viral, so maybe she will become a millionaire before too long?

Yes, timing is everything when it comes to matters such as this, and that is the very reason the other blog/post was closed, as it is now moot and would serve no benefit at this particular time. I did a forum (it is actually showing up below this one) three months ago for suggestions as to new categories and HP did take a suggestion from it. This thread would have been perfect if done back in June or at the latest July, so maybe next year in June, July or earlier will be the appropriate time to post such a forum, especially being that we all just voted this year.  And now my hope is that anyone who wins under a certain category this year and then reads this thread, does not feel slighted or belittled by the negativity towards certain categories after winning under those categories.  As I stated, timing makes all the difference in the world, at least to me.  And this thread is after-the-fact for this year and is moot ...the very reason the other blog/thread was closed.

3. tillsontitan profile image84

I would like to second that motion.  I'm sure it'll pass unanimously.

2. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 8 years ago

I certainly agree Cam. When I was filling out the voting form I was looking for that exact category and couldn't find it. It makes sense that it would be an obvious inclusion.

John, it's good to hear someone else thought of the same thing.  Thanks for speaking up.

3. Suzanne Day profile image93
    Suzanne Dayposted 8 years ago

How about an award for the Biggest Australian Whinger? I suspect I would put myself forth for that one!

I had to google whinger, and now I believe my best course of action is to simply say,  no comment.  smile

1. Suzanne Day profile image93
        Suzanne Dayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Whinging (complaining with style) is a national pastime in Australia - whoever can whinge in the most interesting and funny way with a good story and hang onto a big audience wins.

2. Jodah profile image91

Aw Suzanne....I wanted that one smile

1. Suzanne Day profile image93
        Suzanne Dayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

LOL I reckon we could share it!

1. LongTimeMother profile image92
          LongTimeMotherposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Or one of you could whinge about the other one winning it! Do a good enough job and you'd be in the running for the next year. lol.

1. Jodah profile image91

haha....I will be pissed if I don't win it.

Yes, the whining award ...hahaha ...let's all be mindful that fellow writers vote and so you would be whining to your own followers. Surprised at the arrogance of thinking that oneself should be voted for ...but I know this is all being said in jest, hopefully, in humor : ) ...

Faith, yes, lot's being said in jest here, but there is a serious element to the thread as well.

Yes, there are certainly duplicate categories that could be done away with. I like the suggestions you came up with so there are not so many to choose from. Being this is an interactive community and it does involve a lot, I can see the importance of some categories as it is a vital part of being a part of this community as a whole.  However, not seeing any reason for anyone getting ticked if they think their followers should have chosen them over another writer they follow.

I don't think any of the "getting ticked" is serious here.  We've been joking about the Australian practice of  "whinging" which seems to be whining and complaining.  All of that is most definitely in jest.

Don't "be" pissed (angry) ... get pissed ...drunk?  Congrats to all who won ...well-deserved! 

Peace

1. Jodah profile image91

No I'm not pissed at all...that was only if I don't win the "Whinging Aussie Award" that was proposed for next year by Suzanne Day. Congrats to all the winners including many I voted for.

Thank you. I'm happy you're not pissed, John. Well, surely you'll win that one amongst your Aussie peers.  Cheers!

2. profile image0

But the Class Clown has already been excluded, LongtimeMum, so what's the point?   Time for anuva larf.

No it hasn't. It was still on this year's ballot.

3. Faith Reaper profile image84

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12617618.jpg

I'm still thinking that Most Memorable Hubber and Most Memorable Hub are great categories to add and suggest for next year, as we all know of one who just sticks in our mind and then there is always that memorable hub we can't seem to forget too.  Of course that could mean most memorable in terms of good, bad and indifferent, all depending on one's perspective ...

1. Jodah profile image91

Yes, they would be great categories too.

2. Jodah profile image91

We could get together over a bottle of wine and winge about all the winners of the other categories that we should have won and get pissed and winge even more until we forget what we are whining about smile

When does the party begin?

1. Jodah profile image91

After the results of the awards are announced Cam, you are most certainly welcome to attend.

2. LongTimeMother profile image92

Careful, Jodah. People will think you mean get angry instead of get drunk. (For those who don't know, when aussies get pissed we get drunk. When we get 'pissed off' we are angry.)

No need to explain to jonnycomelately, of course. He's from Tasmania!

1. Jodah profile image91

Thanks for the warning LTM, I have already regretted it, and some have thought I my comments serious. I never considered the different connotations of "pissed"...(and me the author of "How to Talk Aussie). Just confirming that "pissed" means "drunk".

1. LongTimeMother profile image92

The education of many continues. lol.

Yes, it does and, hopefully, far beyond mere semantics here. I've read all of John's entertaining Aussie slang hubs and learned quite a bit ...we tend to say here in the US, "get smashed" when referring to getting drunk.  However, it is not the end of the world to not win an award and go off and have a pity party about it, but instead be gracious and actually happy for our peers who are so deserving of whatever award they win.  I will stick to my guns here, (meaning principles, oddly enough in the US).  It's all good.

2. profile image0

....and absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Pistachio nuts.

Australia offers the world some of the best things to keep you healthy.  In my most humble opinion, of course!

The initial comment read "be pissed" as in angry, then was edited.  " ...that we should have won"?   We say that very same thing here in the US about getting pissed off, meaning angry, so nothing new there or new to learn of. Let us, instead, be gracious towards and happy for our peers who won in whatever category.  It's all good.

4. tillsontitan profile image84
    tillsontitanposted 8 years ago

Like the Academy Awards, sometimes you need to add a category or two as the need arises.

5. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 8 years ago

It's a pity we didn't think to make these suggestions earlier. I see that "Best Commenter" was added after a suggestion by Faith Reaper (I think it was).

Actually, I've been thinking about the Most Versatile Hubber idea since last year.  I just never realized I could suggest a change in the awards until I saw that Faith Reaper's suggestion had been implemented.

I actually posted a forum on adding new topics three months ago, which is showing up below this thread here.  Yes, they actually had taken a suggestion from the forum post.  It is all about the right timing and not waiting too late for that year.  Maybe next year around May, June or the latest, July, it would be great to post another forum for more suggestions, as it is now moot.

6. Chriswillman90 profile image90
    Chriswillman90posted 8 years ago

It would be nice if there was a poll for new categories or just a poll if we should add/replace a few categories. I don't know how long the Hubbie Awarda have been around but a lot of things likely changed since they were introduced.

How about if someone writes a hub on the topic with two poll capsules.  One would have suggestions of awards to remove, the other would have suggestions of those to add.  Commenters could make further suggestions until we had something to present to the staff.

First of all, I think there may be too many awards.  It's not like we can have enough for everybody, so keep the number down, keep them mostly related to serious writing and try to avoid popularity being the reason for voting.

1. Jodah profile image91

Great idea Chris.

7. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 8 years ago

I agree that the voting process should be simplified.  There are simply too many categories and it is difficult to choose sometimes when there is more than one person who fits one category and absolutely no one who fits another. 

I do think that we shouldn't limit the prizes, so that plenty of Hubbers can still get the honor. It makes sense to me to have five or so categories, and just award the top three (or four or five) of each category.

Asking for a change in categories has been made in previous years too, but nothing came of it.

Thanks Millionaire Tips, Good input.  We don't want to keep beating the same dead horse.  We will find a new dead horse.  Hopefully not.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image90
        Millionaire Tipsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sorry for the miscommunication.  I wasn't saying you shouldn't ask again.  Sometimes the timing of when you ask something, or the attention of the right individual will get you what you want.  Sometimes it depends on how you ask the question.  My belief is that you should ask for things that you want, even if others have asked for it previously.  I was only telling you so that you were aware that there is a history, so that you know. I think it helps you manage your expectations.

Simplifying the voting process has benefits for HubPages as well.  They have fewer categories to keep track of, making the vote counting much easier.  They may also get more people who are willing to vote, since the process is simpler.  Right now, it is really complicated.  I didn't even vote this year, because it would take me too much time to think through all of these categories and compare them to the hubs I have read.

I agree, we should pursue this in a fresh way.  I'd personally like to see all the awards related to quality writing.  It could be as simple as best How to Hub, best Gardening Tips etc.  Also there could be something for poetry, fiction even subcategorizing.  But the end result should be fewer awards and all of them for quality writing of some kind.  Awards for most likely to joint HP staff and class clown etc should be dropped. 

Actually, this idea goes along with changes being made to the site.  We all want HP to succeed and giving awards that encourage quality content will compliment other changes aimed at the same goal.

I agree, it sounds more like a high school yearbook than awards for a writing site.  I know I've gotten the award for best avatar twice, and it has nothing to do with my writing....

There's certainly everything right about your writing, Mary, but I have to agree with you about the award for best avatar.  Maybe we can just send the URL for this discussion to the staff somehow.

Yes, your writing is stellar, Mary. Well, you can always just not use such a creative avatar that is so memorable to all and then ...hence no award. Let us all be mindful that it is fellow writers who vote and not HP.

2. Jodah profile image91

Good point Mary, not to trivialise the awards you received, but it would make you feel a little peeved that you won an award for best avatar rather than having your actual writing deemed worthy of recognition.

Oh I totally agree!  Its been fun winning for Best Avatar but it is a far cry from best writing!

I know of hundreds of stellar writers here on HP, including you, Mary, so it is indeed a difficult task to try to come up with one out of those hundreds.  Plus, there are probably hundreds more gifted writers on HP that we have not had the privilege of finding out about yet to enjoy their writing.  The only way that more can be chosen each year is to maybe have it where we can vote for three to five under the writing categories, I guess.  That is the only remedy I can come up with to vote for more than just one.  However, the one(s) who do win this year under the writing categories, surely are well-deserving being they were narrowed down by their peers as the best of the best, and we should all be gracious and happy for them.  It says a lot about that particular writer who does win for countless had to have voted for that particular writer as the best writer they know of or follow under that certain category.  Who knows, there may be a writer win who we don't even know of this year.  That would be interesting that others out of our circle of followers and readers choose someone we had no clue about, but have the opportunity to know them and enjoy their writing in the future.  Guess, majority rules, which is only fair.

Well said Faith.  We can't possibly know every hubber.  Next year's assignment, should you choose to accept it, is the learn more about more hubbers wink

Congrats Mother Goose, anyway ...

Three months ago I posted a forum (showing up below this post) about new categories, and HP actually had taken a suggestion from that forum.  It is all about timing to get it in before that year's voting takes place.  So, shoot for it again next year in about May, June or the latest, July.  You never know.

CONGRATS on your Hubbie, MillionaireTips ... I hope you do become a millionaire!  I checked out your hubs, and I see why you were awarded that Hubbie!

Thank you Faith! Congratulations to you as well.

Thank you, Millionaire ...you are so kind. Remember us when you become that millionaire!  I am so humbled and grateful.

I am humbled and grateful too. I wasn't expecting to get an award.  I have asked for a mug that is personalized with the name Millionaire.  If they agree, I will actually become a Millionaire within the year!

Well deserved Hubbie!  Congratulations.

Congrats again, MillionaireTips, for your writing the hubs on the topics you write on certainly lend you to becoming a millionaire in reality no doubt about it!  Don't forget about us : )

Blessings

8. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 8 years ago

Maybe all these suggestions could have been put in Christie Kirwin's forum post about the 2015 Hubbie Awards.

I tried, John, but there was a message that said since the last post there was so long ago, I should begin a new discussion.

9. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 8 years ago

I'm still puzzled by what the 'Most Versatile Hubber' actually means. Does it mean a hubber who writes how to, history, poems and recipes? Do they also have to appear in questions and forums?

Or perhaps it should be someone who writes their hubs on desktop, laptop, tablet and phone ... and occasionally drafts with pen on paper, or a chalkboard or whiteboard.

Geez. Is this really a title to replace those currently considered confusing? smile

1. Jodah profile image91

smile

Good point, LTM ...then it seems to me the Best All Around Hubber may make more sense at this point, for in my mind it means one who embodies the spirit of the community of HubPages as a whole in all areas, one who is supportive of others' work, by sharing, etc., one who leaves meaningful comments and all else that belonging to the community entails, especially writing well-written, quality articles.  Just as Best All Around Hub to me means that it also encompasses the spirit of the community of HubPages coming together to produce an overall wonderful hub through a collaborative effort, just as one of John's (Jodah's) recent hubs did ...hint, hint : ) 

When versatile means, at least in my mind, one is great at producing quality writing in many genres, is all.

2. LongTimeMother profile image92

C'mon Cam. Help me out here. You said you've been thinking about this idea since last year, which means you have a significant head start.

What's the criteria to meet for Most Versatile?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)