what are you complaining about

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (28 posts)
  1. getpaidtopost profile image41
    getpaidtopostposted 14 years ago

People always tell me that I complain about everything, my hot complaining subject is Government TAX. but i always complain even when we go out for a meal. last time I had lots of water in my prawn salad, the time before my steak was full of fat and half the size of my friends steak so I sent them back.

Is this complaining? or am I just unlucky? are you a complainer?

I presume its ok to complain if you dont get what you paid for. what do you think?

1. marinealways24 profile image60
      marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think complaining is like a disease. It spreads to those around you. I find it easier to do things when I do them without complaining.

getpaidtopostposted 14 years agoin reply to this

is this correct thou? this just means you are getting ripped off does it not. Not sure all I know is i dont like complaining, but in todays world there seems to be to many things to complain about. smile I do however still thank my ass that I dont live in poverty. This is the one thing I do not complain about.

1. marinealways24 profile image60
          marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was speaking more in general than of the steak example. Of course I would make sure to get what I paid for.

Sorry I should have worded the previous post better, did not mean any offense, I have edited it, just missed a question mark. which without makes it sound sarcastic which was not my intentions, sorry smile

2. profile image0
      annvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, when you are talking about your steak, I would say that you are only stating facts.  If you sent the steak back, I would say that you were only stating facts and doing something to make it right.

It is hard not to say things like that when something always seems not right. 

I do not really know if this is what I would call complaining and you must be unlucky like me.  I wonder if I am someone who complains too.  Now instead of saying something about it (complaining) I do something about it instead.  For example, just call the waitress over and show it to them and ask for another.  Then nobody can say you were complaining.

This is what I do, but when I do this my daughter hides under the table and my wife rolls her eyes and puts her head in her hands. I think maybe its the two finger whistle that gets to them lol wink No really thou they think I'm complaining and call me moaner. lol

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
          Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ohh I used to hide under the table too , my dad was a polite but assertive man, and he especially disliked arrogance or to be blown off, which made our embarassment even worse , because we knew then , the challenge was on lol...he passed on years ago now ...and wouldnt you believe it ,my kids went through the same thing (my hubby would say nothing (ever)..but If I was wronged or given bad service ,I quietly would speak to the manager...not threatening or raise my voice ,just state , we have a problem ,Im wondering how we can resolve this lol

And I know my grand-children will hide under the table too someday ,lol smile

3. darkside profile image66
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Apart from tax, those other things are legitimate complaints.

1. candice5 profile image58
        candice5posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually, you are not complaining, your are correct. How many times do we hear people "Bitch" about the Coffee was over extracted, or cold or too Hot. The chicken panini was bland. If you pay you are fully entitled to complain, and the Food Industry is probably one of the few that gets away, with substandard product. I mean if you got 1/2 a sweater, you would take it back. Your friends are just too complacent.
        Besides the Owners usually value any adverse criticism, as a means to improve service, just as they are more happy, obviously to hear "Best meal ever"

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

I complain sometimes

but when Im not I like to be part of the solution and not part of the problem smile

3. profile image0
    annvansposted 14 years ago

Yeah, so next time, stay out of the restaurant or ask them to take the food back and give you something else or a refund.  Usually if I do that instead of telling others about it at the table, they still seem to think I am complaining.

4. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

I think it just depends on the situation. If I'm paying twenty bucks for a steak that I ordered rare and it comes to me well-done, hell yeah, I'm gonna complain and the solution is obvious. Cook me a new steak. But for most other types of occasions, I have to agree with Kiwi. It's better to be part of the solution.

This is just what i do I call the weiter and show them the problem and ask them to replace it. and I get called moaner for it. I think in a past life i lived in NY and have the complaining gene built in to me. lol no offense smile

1. lrohner profile image68
        lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey! No NY bashing puleeze! smile

Kiwi, I've been good. Where are you now and how's your trip going?

We moved down the road to Greenville, hubby got a job ,aint much but pays the rent. Saving hard for a car , man we wont know ourselves...I feel like the lil red hen going to the supermarket before the heat of the day ,walkin my butt off ..lol
          We both want to move a bit closer to the mountains too. (eventually)

1. livewithrichard profile image71
            livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've been through there a few times.  We camp in a place near there called Devil's Fork State Park, I think one side of the lake there is in NC and the other in SC.  Even went to the Jack N the Box in Greenville.  Hadn't seen one of those since they pulled out of Chicago in the early 80's.

Oh cool Richard , I will definately try n remember that camping place,Ive got cabin fever for sure .We both miss the water and cooler air, but Im making the most of every day.
              Jack In The Box, I hadnt seen one EVER ,lol but very competitive with their deals etc ( just had to try them out to see for myself ,lol)...

2. getpaidtopost profile image41

Im in liverpool UK however I am from Manchester and I hate scousers.

scouser joke for you all.

Three men, a Scouser, a Manc and a Rasta all in the maternity ward waiting for their partners to give birth. The midwife comes out and tells them congratulations, they're all fathers of beautiful healthy boys, however unfortunately they've run out of the name tags, and the babies have been mixed up, so if they could each go in and identify their sons from any family resemblance etc. The Manc wants to go first, so in he goes and comes out with a black baby The Rasta looks a bit confused, "excuse me", he said, "but don't you think he's likely to be mine ?" "Probably", said the Manc, "but one of them in there's a scouser, and I'm takin' no chances lol lol lol chuckle chuckle.

2. livewithrichard profile image71
        livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LoL, I complain sometimes but never in a restaurant.  I would never send food back because it wasn't cooked the way I wanted it. I would send it back if it was the wrong order.  I'm not about to get some cooks "special ingredient" in my food.  If you're displeased with the service, show it with the tip or lack of.  Besides, the waiter or waitress rarely has anything to do with the way food is prepared unless it was instructed wrong.

I guess I have a lot of patience with wait staff because I can see how hard a job they have, especially in a busy place.  Imagine having to take care of the needs of 7 or 8 tables of picky people at the same time.  It's a wonder you never hear of wait staff going "postal."

1. lrohner profile image68
          lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think I know what you're trying to say, but am still a bit confused. It's not the waitstaff's fault. That I get. But show it with a lower tip? Doesn't that directly impact the waitstaff? The cooks don't share tips. At least not where I eat.

If you send something back (and I agree -- I wouldn't send it back because it didn't 'taste good', but there's a world of difference between rare and medium-well steak), at least the waitstaff has a chance to show you that they can handle your complaining well and perhaps earn an extra tip. Just saying, is all.

2. blue dog profile image62
          blue dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you're right about not sending food back in a restaurant.  bad move.  however, should the waitron and  chef not be on the same page, there's a possibility that, depending on the chef's temperament, the food presentation might suffer.  not always.  but it's been known to happen.

3. profile image0
        dennisemattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

this may not be really relevant, but I worked bussing tables/waitressing at a diner for about a year, then I worked at McDonalds for 5 years. When speaking specifically about dealing with something YOU PAID for...politley asking for what you wanted is not complaining.
        for example, a man orders a big mac and large fries. I give him a hamburger and small fires, he says "thats not my order."
        not complaining.
        a guy orders a bic mac and large fries, I give him a big mac and large fries, he sits down and loudly says..GOD!! My fries are disgusting.That stupid girl cant even get french fries right. I work hard for my money, I dont deserve this!! eats almmost the entire, stomps up to hte counter with his trash and 4 fries, and demands arefund.
        that is complaining.
        If you bought a brand new car, got home and the door fell off, youd expect it to be fixed right? is that complaining? I say no.

5. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

I think its fair to expect to have what you think you are paying for whether its a product or a service.

After all they expect your money.( which is your time and service to someone else)

but maybe complaining and doing something is a little more constructive than people who whine and whine and never do anything....they get right up my nose lol

ps hey Irohner ,how ya been smile

6. profile image0
    annvansposted 14 years ago

Yeah, I think it would be different if a friend spent all day cooking you a meal and you said something wasn't right about it.  I would seem to think that is more of a complaint.  The steak you paid for should be what it says.  Just tell everyone that you are checking out the merchandise before purchasing it.

7. Ladybird33 profile image66
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

I do complain but only when I think I have been wronged (is that a word?)  Anyway, I always look at the positive side before I turn to the negative side, if that makes sense.  I don't really think that complaining gets you anywhere, most of the time.

8. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I'm not much of a complainer unless the issue is really a big one, in which case I'll do the whole complaint letter, cc's to whoever, thing.  I do complain about the weather.  I used to never complain about the heat because I wanted to reserve my complaining for the cold; but then I decided, "Hey, I can complain all year round if I want" (and I do).

I won't send a meal back unless there's something really extreme (like a hair in it, which the servers usually seem to understand).  Usually, I'll just make a mental note, "Don't ever get the pizza here again."  I know I have a "right" to get what I think is fair for my money, but I just figure, "Hey, it's only lunch.  If I'm not happy with my lunch today there's always tomorrow - at another restaurant."   I can't be bothered doing something like making a stink over something's being cold.

1. profile image0
      dennisemattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

besides, even a cold lunch at a resturant is better then saltines, yougurt and coffee.   smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)