Advice for new members

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (23 posts)
  1. NatashaL profile image78
    NatashaLposted 7 years ago

Please understand that writing Hubs takes time and effort.  If you're here looking to make quick money, you're going to be disappointed.

Before you ask for help to improve your Hub, please remember the following:

1. If your first language isn't English, and you fail QAP, your command of English grammar and conventions is probably the problem. Before you try to make any other changes, visit a site for ESL learners to learn how to correct the grammar and usage mistakes.  Visit writing Hubs here for advice.  And by all means, read similar Hubs that passed QAP.  Consider honestly why those Hubs passed and yours didn't.  If you are unwilling or unable to invest time in improving your English, don't be surprised when subsequent Hubs also fail QAP.  You may need to put other Hubs on hold and fix the problems with the ones you have.

2.  Rushing leads to mistakes.  Some members have already admitted here that they were in such a hurry to just get a Hub out that they didn't bother to double check the Hub's category or the grammar and usage.  This is the wrong attitude to have.  If you don't take time to carefully check every aspect of your Hub before publishing it, why should anyone else care about reading it?

3.  Understand that advice is given in a spirit of helpfulness.  Demanding "easier suggestions" because you don't like the advice you got shows a lack of appreciation for those who take time to offer advice.  Often, the "easier suggestions" you want aren't going to address the true problem.  Please respect others' time and don't take advantage of their willingness to help.  Many of us don't mind pointing out a few areas that need work, but it is presumptuous and unreasonable to ask us to go through your Hub sentence by sentence and tell you exactly how to fix all the problems. 

4.  Read the advice others have given and received.  You may find something that benefits you. 

5.  Check your formatting and layout.  Are subtitles and visual elements arranged in an efficient yet visually appealing manner?

6.  Specifics are always better than generalities.  If you post a general statement, expand on it. 

7.  Unless you are an expert on your topic, you need to cite and link to reputable sources.

8.  Avoid hyperbole and overuse of adjectives or exclamation points.  Strong material will elicit excitement and interest on its own.

9.  Write for your readers, not for yourself. What may seem obvious to you may not be obvious to your readers.  Clearly explain any acronyms and jargon.

10.  Paragraphs should be succinct yet thorough.  Use the fewest words necessary to effectively convey your message.  Being succinct shows that you respect your readers' time.

1. theraggededge profile image95
      theraggededgeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Let's hope they pay attention. Perhaps this should be a sticky post?

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Excellent advice. There is nothing that irks me more than to take time to offer advice and have the recipient be rude about it or worse.  This happens quite often and causes people to stop helping others.

1. DrMark1961 profile image94
        DrMark1961posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I just took the time to answer a newbie´s questions on here but have yet to see the response. I am not an English speaker and never wrote on the internet before 2012, but I have about 5 million page views and make a decent income here, so I really feel like I can help many people who come on here with "why wont my hub pass QAP?"
        I read that nasty answer to you from the Indonesian guy who told everyone that he is closing the forum because of the comments. I am amazed that you, Marisa, and a few others are still nice enough to help.

3. Kylyssa profile image90
      Kylyssaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree with number seven. Unfortunately, HubPages does not. They clearly don't want us to link to sources, because when they move a hub to one of the vertical sites, they remove the sources.

I feel very uncomfortable about the removal of the sources and resources from my hubs on health issues and homelessness. I feel like the percentages and facts I state are stronger with the links to the reports and studies from the appropriate agencies than without them.

NatashaLposted 7 years agoin reply to this

<sigh>  That's actually discouraging.  I've always believed that it's important for your credibility to cite any sources you consult.  I don't quite understand how, if asked, I would refer a reader to more information.

I went through the Learning Center, and I thought it was all right to, for example, make a word link to the Guinness Book of World Records if you're talking about a world record (make the title a link).

I'll continue to tell a new member to at least cite sources for general statements.  (Instead of "Avocados are good for your skin," I think an author should write, "According to the American Dermatological Association, avocados benefit the skin by...")

Thanks for the heads-up.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I think the problem is that the citing of sources is running up against HubPages' rules about links having to be relevant.

So for instance, if you are writing a Hub about avocados, then linking to a site about avocados is fine - but linking to a site about dermatology is not.  Which is a nonsense, but I think the problem is they are paying people to apply rules and those people don't have any discretion to bend them.

1. Kylyssa profile image90
            Kylyssaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You'd have a point if they only removed unrelated links. If you are writing about homelessness as it impacts LGBT people and link to the results of studies about homelessness and LGBT people, they remove those links. If you write about lupus skin care and link to articles on authority sites about lupus skin care, they remove those links as well. If you link to where you've quoted a definition, that link goes, too.

2. NatashaL profile image78

When I said, "cite," I meant only that writers should mention where they got the information, not necessarily that they should link to the source.

/me slithers away to take links out of my Hubs <sigh>

2. Rupert Taylor profile image94
    Rupert Taylorposted 7 years ago

Spot on Natasha. I see many eager first timers who seem to have the idea this is an easy way to make money. It isn't. Writing is, as the famed sports reporter Red Smith once said, "Is simple. You sit down at the typewriter and wait for the beads of blood to form on your forehead."
    The single biggest problem I see is a wobbly grasp of the English language. I often take a paragraph and point out all the errors of grammar, spelling, and punctuation and note that these are repeated throughout the text. I suppose my comments might come across as a bit harsh, but I think it's important to get across the message that the writing is sub-standard. I see no point in going easy on someone who will never make the grade as a writer in English.

3. RonElFran profile image96
    RonElFranposted 7 years ago

Great advice, NatashaL. Maybe you could turn it into a hub so that it's available long term.

Great idea, Bro. Ron.  I just might do that.  big_smile

4. Fiona Jean Mckay profile image91
    Fiona Jean Mckayposted 7 years ago

You can also sign up for a free account at Grammarly that will check for "critical" issues and help you to correct them. It catches a lot more than Word does. It will also tell you how many non-critical issues there are but if you want to access that information you have to have a paid account. I use it frequently.

A lot of us recommend it for members who don't speak English as a first language.  The problem is that some think of it as a substitute for improving their command of English.

I deliberately left this advice out because we have already had at least one member come here after failing QAP and lament that, according to Grammarly, nothing was wrong with his Hub's grammar and usage.  Several of us went to read the Hub in question and saw several errors that had not been picked up by Grammarly.  The member was given examples of errors in word choice, but  his response was, "Run it through Grammarly yourself."

Grammarly is a helpful tool, but it doesn't replace the nuance that a native speaker brings.  Members need to understand that before submitting Hubs.

Thanks for commenting.

1. Fiona Jean Mckay profile image91
        Fiona Jean Mckayposted 7 years agoin reply to this

True Natasha.

2. mchllhwgt profile image67
      mchllhwgtposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. My grasp of my mother tongue is good and although I think I'm a decent writer I have so much to learn. Grammar is my nemesis therefore my confidencee is low. I'm putting an awful lot into my first few hubs. I'll be sure to try grammarly. Thanks again

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Even native speakers of English often have problems with grammar and structure, so you are not alone.

2. NatashaL profile image78

Totally agreed.  English is difficult even for native speakers.  I used to teach it, but one of my ESL adults actually had to explain what a "modal auxiliary verb" is, because I hadn't been taught in advanced grammar class.  There's so much  we learn just because we've been immersed in it, but we couldn't explain the reason if asked.  (One of my ESL adults wanted to know why we say, "I see the moon right now," instead of "I am seeing the moon right now."  I had a hard time explaining that to her.)

Used properly, Grammarly can be a useful tool.   I have it installed on my browser as a "last line of defense" before I consider submitting a Hub.  Often, I keep the Oxford English Dictionary open in a separate tab so that I can be sure I'm using a word properly.  (Remembering the difference between continual and continuous still gives me fits.)

So long as Grammarly is used as a tool and not a crutch, I'm totally on board with it.

I think this is a beneficial discussion.  big_smile

5. Kingsley Iyoke profile image69
    Kingsley Iyokeposted 7 years ago

Very useful and important advice for new hubbers. I total agree with number 9

Thanks for joining the discussion, Kingsley.  big_smile  #9 can be a tough one.

1. Kingsley Iyoke profile image69
        Kingsley Iyokeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Lol.. Its really tough for me, but am still learning and hoping to improve more

6. Rupert Taylor profile image94
    Rupert Taylorposted 7 years ago

I have always found George Orwell's advice on writing in his essay "Politics and the English Language." to be a good guide

1.Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.
    2.Never use a long word where a short one will do.
    3.If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.
    4.Never use the passive where you can use the active.
    5.Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.
    6.Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous.

7. Becky Callahan profile image84
    Becky Callahanposted 7 years ago

Excellent advice, especially #9. It is easy to forget that you writing for the reader, and seeing things from a reader's point of view does take extra time and effort. Don't take understanding of any part of your story or article for granted.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)